Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Should I start upgrading the Knight's starter shield? I got all the way through Crystal Sage with a Longsword +1, a Claymore +3 and the Knight's shield +1. No idea where to find large titanite, and I can now do the Cathedral or the Farron Keep. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
Hey guys i had a tea party today

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That's just before you either slaughter the purple summon or they slaughter you. :v:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, a giant worm? If only you had some kind of giant arrow turret to shoot at it... ;)

I figured as much. But that first attempt at entering was a real adrenaline rush.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Azran posted:

Should I start upgrading the Knight's starter shield? I got all the way through Crystal Sage with a Longsword +1, a Claymore +3 and the Knight's shield +1. No idea where to find large titanite, and I can now do the Cathedral or the Farron Keep. Suggestions?

You can do them in any order really. But you may want to upgrade your weapon to +3 at least no matter what you do, that's the max you can do without large titanite. Though the ash you need to get the maiden to sell you titanite shards is in Farron's Keep. As for the shield...upgrade it if you like it, don't if you don't? Shield upgrades don't really affect your character that much, they mostly just add more stability which is nice but not nearly as important as having more damage.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 16, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you do plunging attack on PC? It doesn't seem like it's just left click.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When i said there were no spiders in Dark Souls 3, I found out just now that actually I was wrong. There is in fact one spider, and it's a really important one. Major sad spoilers here.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zotix posted:

It's just dropping off a platform onto an enemy and pressing the attack button.

CJacobs posted:

When i said there were no spiders in Dark Souls 3, I found out just now that actually I was wrong. There is in fact one spider, and it's a really important one. Major sad spoilers here.

The wolf spider beast things don't count? I got legit spooked when I ran into that for the first time. :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the Dark Sword worth grinding out? I'm hankering for a new weapon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zotix posted:

It should be. I'm using a ps3 controller (sonic crush productions!!) and its just R1

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The wolf spider beast things don't count? I got legit spooked when I ran into that for the first time. :stare:

Well, I don't count them personally, they're more the former than the latter.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The thing that was depressing to me was seeing all the capra demons and butt demons dead :(

Apparently they got their poo poo wrecked by these weird ooacile monstrosities.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

Is the Dark Sword worth grinding out? I'm hankering for a new weapon.

Eh it's pretty decent. I got lucky and had that as my first drop when I encountered one. I used it til end game and used a Heavy Gem to scale the strength to A at +10.

I killed most enemies in two or three hits.

Except...

Those huge snake jerks in the dragon area. They just suck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

loving hell I've just hit a boss that is far and away the hardest one in this game so far.

A few bosses past 3 Lords of Cinder spoilers: Champion Gundyr. Holy poo poo his second form does not let up. I can barely dodge all his attacks let alone find a place to get an attack in myself. One single time I managed to become semi-competent and got him down to a few hits left before he killed me. Since then he just flings me all around the place.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the opinion on dual swords? I used the sellsword twin blades for a while and then upgraded to the Warden Twinblades, which do a tiny bit less damage in exchange for bleeding and look sick as gently caress when set on fire.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So now that I've ran through this amazing game twice, here are some things people should be aware of.

-Magic is complete poo poo, don't build sorcerers. In exchange for not making opponents flinch, not doing damage, taking a long time to cast, and having no AoE they cost less FP than pyromancy. Respec into this if you really want to do it but don't build it.
-Strength Builds are bonkers good. I recommend them entirely (along with the large club or great club) for anyone who wants to run through the game quickly or to explore without fear of death.
-Miracles start off garbage but become amazing. I would again recommend respecing or making your miracle character the one where you say "gently caress it, im going to keep leveling forever". 45 Faith is a tall order and will hurt your build if you rush it.
-Pyromancy has hidden tomes that have bonkers powerful spells that require 0 int and 0 faith, and should be found and used by any melee class that has no use for thier FP bar.
-People who summon white phantoms or sunbros are worse than hackers, and it is your duty to kill all of them. All of them must die. You're better at the game then them, 3v1 should be no problem.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Boulder Hurl seems like a pretty decent spell if only because sometimes enemies will take damage from both the impact and the resulting splash and also it's cool to vomit boulders at people

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Huh, I didn't realize Great Chaos Fire Orb has no faith or int requirement, that seems like an oversight

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

The Gorp posted:

So now that I've ran through this amazing game twice, here are some things people should be aware of.

-Magic is complete poo poo, don't build sorcerers. In exchange for not making opponents flinch, not doing damage, taking a long time to cast, and having no AoE they cost less FP than pyromancy. Respec into this if you really want to do it but don't build it.
-Strength Builds are bonkers good. I recommend them entirely (along with the large club or great club) for anyone who wants to run through the game quickly or to explore without fear of death.
-Miracles start off garbage but become amazing. I would again recommend respecing or making your miracle character the one where you say "gently caress it, im going to keep leveling forever". 45 Faith is a tall order and will hurt your build if you rush it.
-Pyromancy has hidden tomes that have bonkers powerful spells that require 0 int and 0 faith, and should be found and used by any melee class that has no use for thier FP bar.
-People who summon white phantoms or sunbros are worse than hackers, and it is your duty to kill all of them. All of them must die. You're better at the game then them, 3v1 should be no problem.

What are those pyromancy spells? I wanted to mess about with pyromancy until i found out you actually had to put levels into it this time. I like to mess around with free fire spells.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flavahbeast posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Great Chaos Fire Orb has no faith or int requirement, that seems like an oversight

The damage will suck rear end to the point of being a joke with no faith/int, so they probably didn't bother.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Gorp posted:

Eh, Magic Weapon gives you a decent buff to stability damage (but so does the pyromancy version so it's a wash), and the new combined version of the silent footsteps and fall damage negation is a potentially nifty spell. But yeah, damaging sorceries are aggressively mediocre at best. The dart spells are kinda okay for basically having throwing darts that use FP instead of being bought by souls...but throwing darts are cheap, don't require you to have a staff out and so on.

I felt that miracles were far, far better just to have for utility usage as well. Just having a talisman and Heal Aid in your inventory even on a normal bruiser is great for when you want to heal a bit of HP without burning a full estus flask charge. Having the ability to simply top off your HP bar is so convenient.

Pyromancies though...just loving outclass everything because they are batshit insane and absurd. I feel Sorcery has a bit more utility than everyone's going on about, it just feels lackluster because Pyromancy is just hilariously good in comparison.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My friend Christie always in with the assist :thumbsup:
https://giant.gfycat.com/FatLateFlies.webm

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TRON JEREMY posted:

so does poise just not do a god drat thing this time around or what

Poise increases your hyperarmor frames when you're mid-attack. It doesn't do anything when you're not attacking, though.

Some heavy weapons have built-in hyperarmor on their attacks, and poise will increase that, too.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Heath posted:

What's the opinion on dual swords? I used the sellsword twin blades for a while and then upgraded to the Warden Twinblades, which do a tiny bit less damage in exchange for bleeding and look sick as gently caress when set on fire.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://imgur.com/a/Akl47

pick your new desktop background boys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJ posted:

What are those pyromancy spells? I wanted to mess about with pyromancy until i found out you actually had to put levels into it this time. I like to mess around with free fire spells.

A lot of the early spells have such low requirements that even a Knight can use them without leveling Int/Faith, like Fireball and Fire Orb (which is pretty useful), and you can use Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon) by putting one point in each (it requires 10/10). Great Chaos Fire Orb and Chaos Fire Storm have zero requirements.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Lets have pryomancy be splashable, not the main focus of the build.
It does a billion damage and casts fast.

Let's make sorceries something you have to build a character around.
Utility at best.

My mage character gave up at 30 int and just started throwing fireballs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Gorp posted:

Utility at best.

Meanwhile clerics are throwing lightning at everything and becoming thunder gods.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Meanwhile clerics are throwing lightning at everything and becoming thunder gods.

Do Lightning Spears ever get good at range? I know they do insane damage point-blank but drop off very quickly at range.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
There are multiple 45 faith spells and they both are hillarious and amazing.
The big reveal of magic is that you can use Dark Souls 1 spells at 50 int.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

Do Lightning Spears ever get good at range? I know they do insane damage point-blank but drop off very quickly at range.

Since magic aiming isn't a thing anymore, I wouldn't bank on it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Gorp posted:

Utility at best.

Yeah, I'm at about 35 or so int, I might continue for a bit more to get more damage on my Crystal Sage Rapier because it's actually pretty good at that range. But after that I might just shove some points into faith and say fuckit.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So, is there a rhyme or reason to dual-wielding strategies in pve? I finished the game using a 2h great club + grass shield on my back for the stamina, and I want to branch out, but after getting used to a str weapon all the smaller swords feel like way less damage for only a teensy bit better stamina economy.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Having trouble finding Patches. Before finding siegward in the well, I already traversed the cathedral and killed the two giants and opened up all the bridge/gates and did Deacons. I already opened up the tower key and got the fire keeper soul. No where to be found in Firelink.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tipme posted:

Having trouble finding Patches. Before finding siegward in the well, I already traversed the cathedral and killed the two giants and opened up all the bridge/gates and did Deacons. I already opened up the tower key and got the fire keeper soul. No where to be found in Firelink.

Try hitting up the tower again. Go up and down the elevator. He popped for me then.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmm.

Mmmmm.

Hmm.

You didn't fully explore it, did you? There's an enemy that drops the red soapstone, and a bonfire, and a covenant! If you hadn't completed the boss, it would have given the quickest and easiest boss run, as well. Not that the Deacons need it, but still.

Fully explore what? You drop off the rafters onto a little platform, drop from there to a larger platform, kill a bunch of maggot guys that ambush you and pull the lever which takes you back across, that's it. Unless there's some illusory wall hiding something, there's nothing more over there. :shrug:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
What's the best greatsword? I've been using the exile greatsword but its weight is starting to hinder my gear options. Alternatively, are regular swords a better option?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the scaling on pyromancy actually worth raising faith/int or should I just keep focusing on vigor, endurance, and attunement?

I really wish From would put some sort of training dummy in the hub area so you could test out damage in a more reliable way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the scaling on pyromancy actually worth raising faith/int or should I just keep focusing on vigor, endurance, and attunement?

I really wish From would put some sort of training dummy in the hub area so you could test out damage in a more reliable way.

The Diminishing Return point for Pyromancies is 60 total Int and Faith. But unless you want a glass cannon, you really should put a point here and there into other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heath posted:

They are totally pimp as gently caress and most people are overlooking how great they can be. Upgrade one of them and buff one of them and then press triangle and now you have two flaming upgraded weapons hitting really hard.

And I keep thinking that stacking carthus beacon and pontiff's left and right eye plus dual swords would be really broken, but I can't seem to trigger carthus beacon in any circumstance.

Harrow posted:

Contrary to their old usage, lightning spears now work like videogame shotguns. You do more damage the closer they are, and that's how it is.

This is intentional because lots of talismans will give you a poise bonus when casting spells if you use the sword art, for a little bonus mana. That way you can shotgun people in PVP right through them trying to hit you. But its wonky and not what lightning spear used to be.

It differentiates it more from sorcery, but its a change.