Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
When you boost your pretender does it effect his bless? Or does the bless stay the same from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Washout posted:

When you boost your pretender does it effect his bless? Or does the bless stay the same from the start?

Doesn't affect it, neither does dying and losing paths

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I added multiple property search to Dom4 Mod Inspector. I still have some styling and QA to do before submitting a pull request, but in the meantime you can use it at http://tomclancyisdead.github.io/dom4inspector/

Acid casters

Sacreds with glamour

Bad death scale events

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:eyepop:

Technological advancement???

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That is awesome! Thank you so much Etalommi for maintaining such a super valuable tool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Etalommi posted:

I added multiple property search to Dom4 Mod Inspector. I still have some styling and QA to do before submitting a pull request, but in the meantime you can use it at http://tomclancyisdead.github.io/dom4inspector/

Acid casters

Sacreds with glamour

Bad death scale events

Can you do the following? Add a button in the unit panel of everything that have magical paths that show the spells he can cast. So a W2F1+25% chance of E1 should show a filtered spell list of W2 and F1 and E1 and all the cross paths.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Can you do the following? Add a button in the unit panel of everything that have magical paths that show the spells he can cast. So a W2F1+25% chance of E1 should show a filtered spell list of W2 and F1 and E1 and all the cross paths.

I've been looking into how to let you filter by the randompaths already, I can take a stab at this after.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Seems like the best way is to allow you to set the path levels instead of a checkbox on the spells tab.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While you're taking requests, I think it'd be cool and good if there was a Pretender tab that I could click around in and look at pretender values/options/etc? Would anyone else find that useful?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

While you're taking requests, I think it'd be cool and good if there was a Pretender tab that I could click around in and look at pretender values/options/etc? Would anyone else find that useful?

There is a "pretender" option on one of the unit pulldown boxes that you can even filter by nation, main problem is that I don't think it shows build point cost.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

There is a "pretender" option on one of the unit pulldown boxes that you can even filter by nation, main problem is that I don't think it shows build point cost.

It actually does, IIRC, it's just listed as I think gold cost?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Ahah! So there is.

There's something called "Basecost" which I guess translates to build cost but I'm not sure. I also see a listed cost for each magic path (e.g., "+80 pts per magic path"). It's not quite a fully-functional pretender-builder but it's still basically what I was looking for.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Ahah! So there is.

There's something called "Basecost" which I guess translates to build cost but I'm not sure. I also see a listed cost for each magic path (e.g., "+80 pts per magic path"). It's not quite a fully-functional pretender-builder but it's still basically what I was looking for.

Yeah, basecost is gold cost/point cost. It may have +10000 tacked on to it, to make it autoadjust, IDR.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Basecost doesn't seem to correlate to build cost, it might have some relation but most pretender chassis have it set to 10000 +/- a couple 10s and there are some chassis that have wildly differing costs but the same basecost, soo...

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Basecosts around 10000 just mean that the actual cost is determined by Dominions' autocalc function. It's probably not useful to anybody.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dom4 mod inspector has an autocalc function for units, but not for pretenders. It looks like Larz asked about the formula at one point, but didn't get a complete answer. I may test and implement one at some point but it's pretty low on my list, it's a lot of work for a pretty small reward.

The filter system is very much written to get the intersection of sets, not the union. I have some ideas about how to get around that without a major rewrite, but it's not straightforward.

I'll have proper filter clearing for the multiple properties up after lunch. I'd appreciate it if people spent some time poking it after that, so I can submit it to Larz in the next day or two.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Etalommi posted:

Dom4 mod inspector has an autocalc function for units, but not for pretenders. It looks like Larz asked about the formula at one point, but didn't get a complete answer. I may test and implement one at some point but it's pretty low on my list, it's a lot of work for a pretty small reward.

The filter system is very much written to get the intersection of sets, not the union. I have some ideas about how to get around that without a major rewrite, but it's not straightforward.

I'll have proper filter clearing for the multiple properties up after lunch. I'd appreciate it if people spent some time poking it after that, so I can submit it to Larz in the next day or two.

Yeah I never really got an answer on the autocalc. I'm not even sure the developers know how it works. Your changes look really cool, I'll merge them in once you send them my way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is this post by The Demon about communions wildly obsolete? I know it's about Dom3, but it seems at first glance (to a newbie) like probably a lot of this is still true.

If it is out of date, is there a good comprehensive guide to communion mechanics like this one, but for Dom4?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Leperflesh posted:

Is this post by The Demon about communions wildly obsolete? I know it's about Dom3, but it seems at first glance (to a newbie) like probably a lot of this is still true.

If it is out of date, is there a good comprehensive guide to communion mechanics like this one, but for Dom4?

Ignore anything where is says reverse communion. Those don't work anymore.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pretty sure all the special communion types don't work anymore? Obviously blood communions work, but I don't think you can linebacker communion anymore, also I don't think that reinvigoration type spells pass to the slaves anymore?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pash posted:

Ignore anything where is says reverse communion. Those don't work anymore.

What happens if you script a communion slave to do something?
Do casters still act in the order in which they appear on the forces screen (their internal ID I guess)?
Do communions confer any advantage to sacred casting like bless or smite or courage?
If a caster casts communion master on turn 1 but a slave waits till turn 2 to cast communion slave, do they link up? How about vice-versa?
If you have multiple masters and only one slave, what happens?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

What happens if you script a communion slave to do something?
Do casters still act in the order in which they appear on the forces screen (their internal ID I guess)?
Do communions confer any advantage to sacred casting like bless or smite or courage?
If a caster casts communion master on turn 1 but a slave waits till turn 2 to cast communion slave, do they link up? How about vice-versa?
If you have multiple masters and only one slave, what happens?

1 - Nothing. Slaves now go dormant for the entire battle and will stand still and soak fatigue until the battle ends.
2 - Yes.
3 - Communions buff holy levels as well. Master up a bunch of S1H1 dudes for a banish communion to rip skele spamming armies to shreds.
4 - There's only one communion active for an army. A guy could cast communion slave on turn 5 and still link into it, same with a master.
5 - Your one slave explodes from fatigue in a couple of turns.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

3 - Communions buff holy levels as well. Master up a bunch of S1H1 dudes for a banish communion to rip skele spamming armies to shreds.
Yep, especially good since most holy magic costs 0 fatigue, so you can actually go top heavy on it, too.

MA Scelaria makes the most of this, since it has an H3 charm spell at 0 research which converts enemy sacreds, magic paths and all, and its main mages are S1D1H2. With a couple of slaves you can steal a lot of poo poo early.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh dang, yeah I can totally do a holy communion as MA Nazca. Should be helpful.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
communion slaves get unparalyzed if they have a master and then the masters all die or run away but they get hit by 50-100 stun damage (fatigue) upon tha happening

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Leperflesh posted:

Dom4 communions have a lot fewer tricks.

Turbo communions have gotten a lot more popular as they're one of the few types that don't rely on the now-impossible reverse.
I'm too out of practice to really give a spiel on mechanics and recommended uses, but basically you now need to actually have masters doing your primary casting. In Dom3 I would say a good 75% of communions had slaves as primary casters.
You can still use buff propagation to improve your fatigue resistance. But it matters less because the slaves can't actually use any paths you give them. Personal regeneration (or having N9 + sacred communion slaves) is quite efficient. Earthpower or Power of the Spheres helps your slaves not die as much. Reinvigoration still wipes fatigue from the caster and slaves, but because the masters are the only spellcasters, you need each master to cast their own Reinvigoration if you actually want to wipe the communion's fatigue.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Communion masters really don't need reinvigoration though since the communion will take most of their fatigue for them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What happens if a communion master casts communion slave?

Does Power of the Spheres cast by the master make all of the slaves +1S, and does that affect the communion's abilities at all?
Does Light of the Northern Star give a level of S to every caster even if they have no levels in S? How priests with no paths at all?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Leperflesh posted:

What happens if a communion master casts communion slave?

He probably becomes a slave instead of a master but I've never tried this and I'm not sure why you'd want to.

quote:

Does Power of the Spheres cast by the master make all of the slaves +1S, and does that affect the communion's abilities at all?

Yes and yes. Slaves take more fatigue if the masters have higher paths in the spells they're casting than they do, and less fatigue if the slaves' paths are higher. So increasing slaves' paths is a good way to manage communion fatigue.

quote:

Does Light of the Northern Star give a level of S to every caster even if they have no levels in S? How priests with no paths at all?

No and no. Path boosts only apply to paths that you have at least 1 in.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

He probably becomes a slave instead of a master but I've never tried this and I'm not sure why you'd want to.

This is correct. I've done before it to make sure my casters don't do stupid things after casting their one big spell through a communion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I was specifically thinking of dropping the communion without losing the casters completely by having a master cast communion slave as his fifth scripted action. In vs. AI play I recently had a battle undexpectedly go to like 50 rounds (enemy's pretender showed up and he regenerated over 40 hp per round, so even though he was at 200 fatigue and surrounded by hundreds of skeletons he just wouldn't die) and as a result unscripted casting eventually killed every single one of my communion slaves.

I figure if I'm throwing up a communion just for two or three big spells, a reliable way to kill the communion without retreating could be useful.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure a communion master who casts communion slave will still be a master as well so all of your slaves abd masters will be paralyzed until the battle ends if you have all the masters become slaves

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh.

Well that's probably better than them dying, but a lot worse than them casting spells for a few rounds.

So I guess there's no trick or special way to break a communion on scripted round 5?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oh.

Well that's probably better than them dying, but a lot worse than them casting spells for a few rounds.

So I guess there's no trick or special way to break a communion on scripted round 5?

Retreat, or cast returning

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

jsoh posted:

Retreat, or cast returning

Wouldn't Returning affect the slaves too?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just slave him and/or manipulate fatigue so someone drops a late returning on turn 10 or so.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

or just tell them to do something else like shoot a bow or stay behind troops

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Looking forwards to the mod game starting... again

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wouldn't Returning affect the slaves too?

hes trying to do a communion where after the script his masters dont kill his slaves, so thats the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yeah I love pulling all of my mages out of my army and sending them back to the cap after every fight jsoh you everlasting retarde.

• Locked thread