Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think VR sim racing would be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Norns posted:

Navigating all the giant loving trucks everyone has here seems like a good way to go grey before I'm 40.

People here think traffic lights, stop signs and lanes exist as road decorations, you have no excuse!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Norns posted:

Office is a work in progress please ignore cables and poo poo.

I have that same keyboard. You should get an Oculous, and a drivers licence and then go here

1500quidporsche posted:

I will say learning to wrench/drive stick/race on a shoestring budget can be a blast no matter how dull and boring autocross is though, its a shame karting isn't more prevalent in north america because if your club has its own facility its great to just head out on a weeknight and blast out a few laps.

This actually beats all sim racing. You haven't lived until you've scraped your knuckles across a hot radiator but you don't stop working because this bitch has to be on track in an hour. I am eager to start karting for serious.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fixing your broken car sucks rear end dude, I disagree.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Human Grand Prix posted:

Fixing your broken car sucks rear end dude, I disagree.

Racing real cars is better than racing fake cars. Sometimes you gotta fix poo poo, it's part of the experience.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MustardFacial posted:

Racing real cars is better than racing fake cars. Sometimes you gotta fix poo poo, it's part of the experience.

It's cool you enjoy racing irl.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

This actually beats all sim racing. You haven't lived until you've scraped your knuckles across a hot radiator but you don't stop working because this bitch has to be on track in an hour. I am eager to start karting for serious.

ehh there's pluses and minuses on both sides, I can see why some people would prefer sim racing. Norns doesn't have to keep a rape van on his insurance that reeks of brake cleaner and pre mix and probably looks really attractive to crackheads who need some fast cash. Also as fun as karting is, its physically exhausting and I broke a rib or something last year. It would've been cool not feeling like I was hit by a bus two or three days a week.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

I do it as a hobby as well but I'm just being real.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Racing and then having other people fix the car for you is vastly underrated imo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Racing and then having other people fix the car for you is vastly underrated imo.

I wish I could afford that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I find a certain amount of Zen in loving around with old cars but everyone is different. The fact that my labor budget drops to zero and I can consider buying all sorts of stupid poo poo is a nice side effect.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If I could afford to go to the Nurburgring with a Lotus 49, I would.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Norns posted:

It's cool you enjoy racing irl.
It's cool you enjoy sim racing.

1500quidporsche posted:

ehh there's pluses and minuses on both sides, I can see why some people would prefer sim racing. Norns doesn't have to keep a rape van on his insurance that reeks of brake cleaner and pre mix and probably looks really attractive to crackheads who need some fast cash. Also as fun as karting is, its physically exhausting and I broke a rib or something last year. It would've been cool not feeling like I was hit by a bus two or three days a week.
I mean, yeah I get that. But nothing worth having comes easy, and ultimately at the end of the day any hobby has you putting up with massive amounts of bullshit for a fleeting moment of "this is awesome." I've gone down the sim racing road, and it never really appealed to me. But loving around with cars and then racing them around a bunch of cones was way more fun, even though the bullshit level was way higher. And doing that Chumpcar race was even better.

how did you break your rib?

Human Grand Prix posted:

I do it as a hobby as well but I'm just being real.

Fixing broken cars is only good when you have the luxury of being slow and just enjoying it without worrying if it runs today or not. Fixing cars on a timeline loving sucks, but sometimes adrenaline helps with that.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 16, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

how did you break your rib?

A gust of wind.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's like that level in F-Zero.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
That's how Alonso died.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

That's how Alonso died.

RIP Nando

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wish I could afford that.

I got to experience it for one weekend, didn't have to pay for anything.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Uncle Jam posted:

I got to experience it for one weekend, didn't have to pay for anything.

Whoa your career earnings from motorsport are higher than those of Pastor and Gutierrez.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

If I could afford to go to the Nurburgring with a Lotus 49, I would.

interesting way to want to die

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That's a sweet sim racing set-up m8. Dirt Rally must be fun.

Hmmm

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 16, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Halo14 posted:

I actually ordered a axis handbrake that's not pictured just for Dirt!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Advantages of sim racing over karting:

Norns probably stayed in had a beer or two and knocked out some laps in a MP4/2 or something.

I drove 30 minutes, spent 20 minutes dragging everything out and getting changed. Did an out lap and an in lap just to confirm everything was working. Took it in and the next session I got 3 corners in before the chain popped off. Found out I'm out of brake cleaner so that ended my night so I had to reverse the whole process. lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've never watched practice before but I want to see how this goes in the rain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've never watched practice before but I want to see how this goes in the rain.

its usually pretty boring. Most teams don't want to risk something happening with the car, especially so close to qualifying.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
They'd need to spend a good amount of time out there if quali is wet tho?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Idaho actually sounds like a pretty great place to drive around since it is pretty and there aren't a lot of people

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Goetta posted:

Idaho actually sounds like a pretty great place to drive around since it is pretty and there aren't a lot of people

The roads are poo poo. Redstate with low population...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Halo14 posted:

They'd need to spend a good amount of time out there if quali is wet tho?

Depends on the weather forecast for sunday. I would assume if its dry there's nothing to be learned by going out because the cars would be set up for the dry and go into parc ferme straight after qualifying.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Great Session.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Advantages of sim racing over karting:

Norns probably stayed in had a beer or two and knocked out some laps in a MP4/2 or something.

I drove 30 minutes, spent 20 minutes dragging everything out and getting changed. Did an out lap and an in lap just to confirm everything was working. Took it in and the next session I got 3 corners in before the chain popped off. Found out I'm out of brake cleaner so that ended my night so I had to reverse the whole process. lol

Naw. Something far more poo poo. It's actually a fun car

I'm dead

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Naw. Something far more poo poo. It's actually a fun car

I'm dead

So am I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civSayVBnSs

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Halo14 posted:

Hmmm

It looks like it will still be raining there in two hours

http://www.accuweather.com/en/cn/shanghai/106577/satellite/106577

Seems kinda bad

e: Norns stream your poo poo on Twitch or something and I will watch it (not tonight though)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Makes for some sweet slo mo footage this weather.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Vettel's gearbox is loving up. Nico must be on Cloud 9.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Imagine if Nico wins the WDC

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Also I give the English press 1 month until they start their "Mercedes are racist and are ruining Are Lewis chances at the WDC" campaign

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Goetta posted:

Southern Idaho sucks but the northern part has some amazing mountains.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Good twenty to seven everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
It's 3:50pm and I'm watching an interview with Prost. Interesting career.

• Locked thread