Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Mr.Tophat posted:

"I mishead you Derek, I thought you wanted marmite on your toast."
"LIAR. LIAR LIAR LIAR. How could you possibly think I mentioned marmite, I mentioned bovril, ahhhh"

Bovril is a sin against humanity.

e: poo poo uhh uhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lime Tonics posted:

I forgot, RTV was so bad today, it doesn't even deserved to get mentioned. They talked about movies alot and 2.4 talk was just "it doesn't exist yet", and it was awkward. Stoned sandi made a guest appearance.

Today ranks up there with star citizen failure.
It sucked-- even by its own low standards...

Here's my write up combined with A Neurotic Jew's:

here is what I've taken away from AtV so far:

--- Reminder that just because something is feature locked doesn't mean features can't be removed!

--- Reminder that we have positions open at every one of our studios right now!!! seriously many open positions and more opening all the time!!

--- Ben has a tattoo, an obscure one lovingly recreated from an execrable movie he nevertheless has chosen to worship

--- Someone sent a ceramic mug that Ben's mom would really appreciate, given her deep affection for hand-fired pottery

--- Heavy vampires have metabolism problems which much be discussed at length in a show ostensibly aimed at answering backer questions

--- In a segment titled "Patch 2.4", they can say nothing about timeframes or content in 2.4, despite having revealed a great deal in Erin Roberts interviews and Jake Ross updates

--- Sandi says she is on a low-carb diet while eating a big piece of pita bread. She apparently is dealing with light sensitivity issues again so she had to don her shades

--- The ghost of Donutgate haunts RtV

--- More Wing Commander trivia is always welcomed

--- Lando picks the question "How bad is the barbershop movie?" out while ignoring questions about the Mining Mechanics, cockpit visibility in upcoming releases, and so forth...

--- No work is being done on VR, despite earlier press releases and noise about it becoming a priority for the dev team in Q1.

And the show is only 2/3rds over...

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Take a picture of yourself writing a design document.

:drat:

Holy poo poo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Melanion posted:

Apex predator takes no poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

oh god the paintings

I forgot all about that one, what the gently caress was that?! I always found the Police Quest games to be excruciating too, but they were meant to model police procedure and not allow any deviation whatsoever.

Manhunter: New York, if I remember correctly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

did sandi get fake boobs with backer money? or did she have them before?

They sure didn't look real in the pictures of Welcome To The Jungle someone posted.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I was right to believe.

I hope all those who doubt Derek feel grief. Or the reverberations of a cosmic gavel slamming down over and over again in space court in order to prevent Derek Smart's smugness from being the true E.L.E, as was prophesied two weeks ago
I find it hard to believe that they just up and decided to not register in Germany or pay taxes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ragequit posted:

It's going to be a wait - he resting from another day on the front lines of war.

Well, poo poo fire and save matches. :cry:

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Toops just wanted to say that your videos about texturing, Unity, etc. are fantastic. I look forward to more!

Im also continuously amused by the ever changing reason cultists give for poo poo sucking so much. So far Im aware of:

ITS ALPHA
dont understand game development
They are focused on S42 and dont want to release spoilers
They have created the systems for cargo, mining etc. but cant implement them until persistence is in
Its all server side blockers that we cant see
Star Marine is now part of the babbypoo
Need more data from free fly weekends to improve netcode

What am I missing?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

WebDog posted:

Well it does make sense if you consider that one bank account is hooked into that tracker. Now is there a way to work out if you pay them, where does it go to?

Now given how many shell companies CIC/RSI has I'm sure it's been quite a common occurrence to move money into that account in order to spike the sales with the objective to give the impression someone already has brought in and to encourage sales. It's the old sales tactic of getting friends to buy your produce to encourage others.

I'm sure their logic is something like "we're not actually loosing money as we're just moving it from account A to B".

Keep in mind there's at least two bank accounts for crowdfunding. One is the kickstarter one which I strongly suspect is linked to Ortwin's And the other is the RSI site which could be the company account.

And to remind people Ortwin made his mark back in the 90's when he cottoned onto the idea of allowing a two-way distribution deal with German and US cinema. Basically the local German market was sinking with poor audience attendance and lower budgets with people wanting more of what came out in the states over local cinema.
Ortwin realised he could do a two way deal where German films could get some sort of co-financing in exchange for exclusive screenings in the US market - which is what Twin Bros is.
His two big hits were The Neverending Story and Das Boot (which is why he mentions it in his meet the devs video).

After that gold mine dried up around the mid 90's Ortwin went into trade as a legal consultant who dabbled as producer and teamed up with Chris Roberts who had already failed in one attempt to make a movie production company (Point of No Return Entertainment) forming Ascendant Pictures with Digital Anvil being setup to facilitate the production of Wing Commander and some of it's visual effects while creating Freelancer. Across the seas Erin worked on Starlancer as Warthog Entertainment.

All was going reasonably well till they decided to renege on a deal with Kevin Costner and got blacklisted by Hollywood when they lost the court cases.

After that I'm not too sure other than hints that Roberts was utterly broke and tried his hand in investing into side projects while sleeping on couches and Ortwin hung around as some sort of financial advisor while still operating his legal firm.

A WEBDOG POST OUT OF loving NOWHERE

I DON'T BELIEVE IT

SERENDIPITY NOW

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

No, no you aren't. I have chatted with you, and you haven't mentioned the contents of anything in your home.

Hi, I would like to point out that i have a desk, a computer, a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard, a bean bag, a tv, a router, a modem, a glass filled with milk, a microfiber cloth, a thing of Carmex, a distinct lack of Anime movies in this room becuase they are elsewhere, a knife, a flashlight, my phone, my old phone, my watch, the watch charger (Gear S2), my phones charger, my older phones charger, some usb cables, some cabled to connect my computer to the monitor, some power cables to power everything and 1 im not sure about, my chair, my other chair, my brass Bil-lit lighter, a can of fuel for the lighter, a candle, an empty bottle of Captain Morgan Black, a mono bluetooth speaker of surprising quality from Nakamichi, some golden quarters, a silver dollar, some silver quarters, partial silver nickels, silver dimes, a few small copper bullion ingots, and a few others things that i dont care enough about, oh yeah some games, some older games, Freespace being an older game, Freespace 2, some movies, a few other older movies like Dungeons and Dragons 2 yes its bad and no i dont like it, some old cd burning software among other older softwares i should probably throw away.

I could keep going.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Personally, I'm a dog guy rather than a catte dude but when I see stuff like this I question myself a little bit.

http://i.imgur.com/R2SC7ZB.gifv

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Mirificus posted:

I hope Sandi saw this post:

Derek Smart looks more like a celebrity to CaptionBot than Sandi Gardiner.

*music for the end sequence of shawshank begins*

I hope. I hope.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Hi, I would like to point out that i have a desk, a computer, a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard, a bean bag, a tv, a router, a modem, a glass filled with milk, a microfiber cloth, a thing of Carmex, a distinct lack of Anime movies in this room becuase they are elsewhere, a knife, a flashlight, my phone, my old phone, my watch, the watch charger (Gear S2), my phones charger, my older phones charger, some usb cables, some cabled to connect my computer to the monitor, some power cables to power everything and 1 im not sure about, my chair, my other chair, my brass Bil-lit lighter, a can of fuel for the lighter, a candle, an empty bottle of Captain Morgan Black, a mono bluetooth speaker of surprising quality from Nakamichi, some golden quarters, a silver dollar, some silver quarters, partial silver nickels, silver dimes, a few small copper bullion ingots, and a few others things that i dont care enough about, oh yeah some games, some older games, Freespace being an older game, Freespace 2, some movies, a few other older movies like Dungeons and Dragons 2 yes its bad and no i dont like it, some old cd burning software among other older softwares i should probably throw away.

I could keep going.

I bet you DO like Dungeons and Dragon 2. As a person who has, in fact, gamed with E. Gary Gygax in person, I couldn't even begin to watch that. And I am a student of cinema merde to boot.

Also, gently caress. I have an actual CIG cat pic I have stashed, and I can't get to the top of a page. Also, I really need to get a little BT speaker, mono or not. Galaxy Tab E speakers really suck, and something about my ears really don't work with earbuds.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The Man Who Would Quote Mushmouth

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The Man Who Held Him Accountable (And Blogged To Tell The Tale)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Toops just wanted to say that your videos about texturing, Unity, etc. are fantastic. I look forward to more!

Im also continuously amused by the ever changing reason cultists give for poo poo sucking so much. So far Im aware of:

ITS ALPHA
dont understand game development
They are focused on S42 and dont want to release spoilers
They have created the systems for cargo, mining etc. but cant implement them until persistence is in
Its all server side blockers that we cant see
Star Marine is now part of the babbypoo
Need more data from free fly weekends to improve netcode

What am I missing?

Actually, Star Citizen has only been in development for (increasingly short period of time)

(Insert other game) is bad

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Darkpriest667 posted:

4 weeks. It was for the opening of the Free Trade Zone in Shanghai in September of 2014. Obviously they had something to prove and I admit that there was a lot going on for show but when you look off of the massive highways during the drive between locations you can see what's going on.

I'm surprised you could see through all the smog!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

A broken meme still predicts correctly once every two weeks

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Zoomed to the front, no regrets.

So about this $15 dispute fee...

What if they put together a list of accounts they thought might be related to Mr. Smart. Maybe a hundred or so. Then they locked them and since they know those people are on shaky ground with having bought them on the grey market, they can easily get them to pay a paltry $15 "dispute fee" thus letting them screen the credit cards used by those individuals to see if Derek signs back up. If so, they reject the transaction, and if not, he's now "locked out" and no longer has his stake.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Toops, both your vids were great.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Actually, Star Citizen has only been in development for (increasingly short period of time)

(Insert other game) is bad

<checks his OS clock and mutters "carry the two...">

I got 16 minutes? Anyone else?

Also ALL games are bad. Any that don't offer citizenship that is.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tanith posted:

Toops, both your vids wereyou are great.

FTFY.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

The best way is to find a poster you like/dislike and then keep detailed annotations about them over the years so that you can own their asses in D&D.

That's like trying to murder someone by committing hari kari

You might succeed, but you're going to be be tangled up in shitguts, most of it your own, and there is much shame in a botched job

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Melanion posted:

Marmite is one of those things,you either love it or hate it,just like CIG except you don't "pledge" to spread it on a slice of jpeg toast.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

revmoo posted:

What if they put together a list of accounts they thought might be related to Mr. Smart. Maybe a hundred or so. Then they locked them and since they know those people are on shaky ground with having bought them on the grey market, they can easily get them to pay a paltry $15 "dispute fee" thus letting them screen the credit cards used by those individuals to see if Derek signs back up. If so, they reject the transaction, and if not, he's now "locked out" and no longer has his stake.
CIG had no problem subjecting their employees to a witch hunt that resulted in collateral damage, so why not do it with current and former backers? They are literally figurative blood-bags to CIG.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

I bet you DO like Dungeons and Dragon 2. As a person who has, in fact, gamed with E. Gary Gygax in person, I couldn't even begin to watch that. And I am a student of cinema merde to boot.

Also, gently caress. I have an actual CIG cat pic I have stashed, and I can't get to the top of a page. Also, I really need to get a little BT speaker, mono or not. Galaxy Tab E speakers really suck, and something about my ears really don't work with earbuds.

Oh man... That movie was among the worst ive ever seen. It ranks right up there with In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lonkface posted:

He really went to sleep, didn't he?

He told you he'd do it, but you didn't believe him! Now we have to read his new blog Researching The Insidious Nature of Dreams

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ash1138 posted:

CIG had no problem subjecting their employees to a witch hunt that resulted in collateral damage, so why not do it with current and former backers? They are literally figurative blood-bags to CIG.

I think it's pretty plausible. Derek would HAVE to use a credit card in his name to have proper legal standing.

Look to see them tightening the noose on the grey market very soon if I'm right. It's become a liability.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dear Dream Journal,

Yes, it is I once again, Derek Smart, and as you might remember from my first entry journal, my dreams are about accountability

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah double counting using transactions between shell companies to boost balance sheets is super super common in corporate fraud cases. It was hugely prominently used in propping up Enron for example. It's actually easier to do than straight up making up numbers, because making up believable numbers and a believable paper trail is way more work.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

But this dream was about the number 14 dearest journal.

What does it mean? What could it mean?

I will crack the REM code, for I am Smart.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

revmoo posted:

Them locking out an account without a refend seems like an even more clear cut cause for legal action

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

This seems like something someone that has no idea how the law works would come up with. So, yeah, it's probably this.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My sources tell me that a chunk of cheese is good for dreaming, but my sources also tells me Chris Roberts subsides on Gotcha Gouda

I am conflicted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

My sources tell me that a chunk of cheese is good for dreaming, but my sources also tells me Chris Roberts subsides on Gotcha Gouda

I am conflicted.

Invest in Sauvagine, no loving joke

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, I'm glad CIG could turn up to the mafia game

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Invest in Sauvagine, no loving joke

I am glad to hear genuine cheese advice in the face of my joke

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek, I could have been like you. I could have gone to sleep, but no, I did my part, I just posted, because get this, I am too immersed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

If you think 6am isn't the time to just post, boy, do I have some posts that prove that you're way off about your time zones, wait, let me look at that clock young man, have you been griefing again???

• Locked thread