Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rip Wolnir, you were super loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, quick question regarding the location of an NPC:
Not that it's really a spoiler that patches is in a From game, but where the heck is he? Seigward has been stuck in that well for eons, I feel like I missed patches somehow

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Is the Crystal Sage boss fight super easy or am I just improving in skill as I play?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Obligatum VII posted:

So, quick question regarding the location of an NPC:
Not that it's really a spoiler that patches is in a From game, but where the heck is he? Seigward has been stuck in that well for eons, I feel like I missed patches somehow

If you've beaten the Deacons of the Deep, you did miss him and you have to meet him for the first time at the next stage of his quest. Go to the tower at Firelink and head up to the top, there might be a surprise for you on the way back down. If he's not there, head past the exit that leads to the tower, he hangs out at the end of the corridor.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

These hand hippos are making me really uncomfortable.

I have one I don't care about but I dunno how to setup a trade. What would we need to do?

Add me on Steam, we do a weird summon trade thing. should be easy.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Macintosh HD posted:

Is the Crystal Sage boss fight super easy or am I just improving in skill as I play?

They're pretty easy, don't worry, youre getting to the part where the difficulty ramps up pretty much exponentially

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Any tips for fighting Aldrich?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CJacobs posted:

If you've beaten the Deacons of the Deep, you did miss him and you have to meet him for the first time at the next stage of his quest. Go to the tower at Firelink and head up to the top, there might be a surprise for you on the way back down. If he's not there, head past the exit that leads to the tower, he hangs out at the end of the corridor.

where the heck was he in his first location, for future reference?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Macintosh HD posted:

Nah, that boss is pretty easy. I would call it Pinwheel 2.0 but there's enough poo poo going on in that boss arena that you can actually die just from random luck/eating twenty soul spears at once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Obligatum VII posted:

where the heck was he in his first location, for future reference?

After jumping down from the rafters you raise up the bridge/gate so that you can walk across to the other side of the cathedral; when you do, Patches will lower the gate from the other side while you're crossing it. You can then get back over there on your next life or whatever and berate him for it as usual. If you progress too far into the area before talking to Siegward in the well, it just plain doesn't happen- there's some other progress trigger that also causes it to not happen but nobody knows what it is.

edit: In said encounter, he's wearing Siegward's armor and pretending to be him, because he stole it. There is a pretty great cutscene of him taking off the helmet to reveal Patches' big stupid grin underneath.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 16, 2016

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Man, the Irithyll Dungeon was pretty ridiculous. The screamers, those disgusting....things...and the length made it a pretty harrowing time. I think I killed every single enemy in the entire place before getting to the bonfire in the profaned capital. Is there really no other bonfire there? If I had died, I would have been pretty pissed.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

man nurse posted:

Spend a lot of time running, especially in phase two when his BS arrow storm starts following you. Other than that, keep moving and thwack his tailbutt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

Man, the Irithyll Dungeon was pretty ridiculous. The screamers, those disgusting....things...and the length made it a pretty harrowing time. I think I killed every single enemy in the entire place before getting to the bonfire in the profaned capital. Is there really no other bonfire there? If I had died, I would have been pretty pissed.

There are like 3 shortcuts along the way, but yeah that's the only bonfire. It's definitely a tough area.

CJacobs posted:

After jumping down from the rafters you raise up the bridge/gate so that you can walk across to the other side of the cathedral; when you do, Patches will lower the gate from the other side while you're crossing it. You can then get back over there on your next life or whatever and berate him for it as usual. If you progress too far into the area before talking to Siegward in the well, it just plain doesn't happen- there's some other progress trigger that also causes it to not happen but nobody knows what it is.

edit: In said encounter, he's wearing Siegward's armor and pretending to be him, because he stole it. There is a pretty great cutscene of him taking off the helmet to reveal Patches' big stupid grin underneath.

It's annoying this is so easy to miss. It sounds like one of the more funny parts of the game but I straight up didn't see it at all and as you said there's no clear reason why.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There isn't anything remotely similar to DKS2 shades in this game, correct?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I've hit a wall on Pontiff, will have to take a rest and come back to it later because I was getting frustrated and making mistakes. Every time I thought I had him I'd gently caress up or get caught in a corner or something stupid. Thought the fight was going to be easy through the first half, then when things changed up I figured it was just a matter or prioritizing, but I was too conservative and let him summon another mirror-image after killing the first and I just got overwhelmed. This is probably the toughest fight I've experienced so far in the game.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BillmasterCozb posted:

Sssso does Flynn's Ring just not work?

Flynn's works well if you understand the new mechanic that was changed in the last patch. It has nothing to do with equip percentage now. You start at 30% bonus damage, and lose 1% per unit of encumbrance. If you keep your weight to 10 units, like a katana with some good rings and otherwise naked, you'll have a 20% bonus which is pretty drat good. If you weigh 28 units you get a 2% bonus which is absolutely worthless. Heavier weapons simply can't utilize Flynn's because of their weight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

man nurse posted:

Stay behind the pillars when closing the gap as they help block his little soul beads, though those tend to miss just by staying mobile. In the second phase, his arrow attack becomes ridiculously long so the only way I found to survive it was to just stop doing anything other than dodging when he uses it. Don't try to force the fight to end by attacking during it; some of his attacks leave him WAY more vulnerable than others so just wait for those.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's annoying this is so easy to miss. It sounds like one of the more funny parts of the game but I straight up didn't see it at all and as you said there's no clear reason why.

It is pretty great. Look at that smug fucker.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I was in the Catacombs, and I set off the mimic so it would fight the demon. As I ran back to hide, it roundhouse kicked me from behind a corner and ONE SHOT ME FROM FULL HEALTH.

What the gently caress is with mimic attack damage in this game???

(cool rear end game tho)

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Anal Surgery posted:

So I was in the Catacombs, and I set off the mimic so it would fight the demon. As I ran back to hide, it roundhouse kicked me from behind a corner and ONE SHOT ME FROM FULL HEALTH.

(cool rear end game tho)

Mimics are my favorite enemy in everything. Just listen to how much fun they're having!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have been using the old lloyd's Talisman trick on mimics because I am too scared to fight them (it's worth doing at least once to see the new sound effects).

I miss when the grab was the only scary thing about them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Platypus Farm posted:

Mimics are my favorite enemy in everything. Just listen to how much fun they're having!

Watching it gently caress up that demon in the same area Anal Surgery mentioned was fantastic :allears:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

They're pretty easy, don't worry, youre getting to the part where the difficulty ramps up pretty much exponentially

Alkydere posted:

Nah, that boss is pretty easy. I would call it Pinwheel 2.0 but there's enough poo poo going on in that boss arena that you can actually die just from random luck/eating twenty soul spears at once.

drat. I thought I was getting better. Oh well!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

(cool rear end game tho)

I've just started internally yelling at mimics whenever I find one. "What rear end in a top hat, you think that works? Why didn't you just Bruce Lee me when I walked in the room you stupid motherfucker?" And then they die because they're chumps.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Flynn's works well if you understand the new mechanic that was changed in the last patch. It has nothing to do with equip percentage now. You start at 30% bonus damage, and lose 1% per unit of encumbrance. If you keep your weight to 10 units, like a katana with some good rings and otherwise naked, you'll have a 20% bonus which is pretty drat good. If you weigh 28 units you get a 2% bonus which is absolutely worthless. Heavier weapons simply can't utilize Flynn's because of their weight.

This is retarded. Not too bad for PvE, but compare that with PvP. Your opponent with some mediumish armor is going to have 20% mitigation. -20% is going to more than mitigate the difference, while the effective increase to your opponents DPS by virtue of you not wearing armor is going to be much greater; especially if they are using a fast-but-low damage weapon.

I mean, yeah, I guess that means spending nothing on VIT, which can count for something, but even as a glass cannon build you would probably be WAY better off simply equipping some of the lightest armor and swapping the ring for... well, probably literally anything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given the number of people I three or four shot when doing Aldrich invasions there's a bunch of people playing this game with default VIT for some insane reason.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kiggles posted:

This is retarded. Not too bad for PvE, but compare that with PvP. Your opponent with some mediumish armor is going to have 20% mitigation. -20% is going to more than mitigate the difference, while the effective increase to your opponents DPS by virtue of you not wearing armor is going to be much greater; especially if they are using a fast-but-low damage weapon.

I mean, yeah, I guess that means spending nothing on VIT, which can count for something, but even as a glass cannon build you would probably be WAY better off simply equipping some of the lightest armor and swapping the ring for... well, probably literally anything else.

I see what you mean, the numbers really don't work out in its favor.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Jerusalem posted:

Watching it gently caress up that demon in the same area Anal Surgery mentioned was fantastic :allears:

With them graceful jump kicks!

woo ha ha ha

edit: finished my first run through and loved it. I think this was probably the easiest first play through of any souls game ever, but that's okay. Smough's hammer is the funniest, pancakiest weapon I remember using in any of these games.

One thing that really struck me about this one was that there are absolutely no loving terrible poo poo-rear end end-game zones that From didn't actually want to design. Game is solid the whole way through.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Has anyone found a particularly good walkthrough for getting all the NPCs and the best ending? I'm not sure which to use...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orv posted:

Given the number of people I three or four shot when doing Aldrich invasions there's a bunch of people playing this game with default VIT for some insane reason.

Hubris probably. I played the last two games comfortably with really low vit but it feels more important in this game, simply because enemies have so many more moves. Importantly, a lot of enemies have quick little jabs that are super hard to dodge when you're near them. Having low vit means those attacks actually hurt quite a bit.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Filthy Hans posted:

Has anyone found a particularly good walkthrough for getting all the NPCs and the best ending? I'm not sure which to use...

There seems to be lots out there. I've been using this one for Siegward and some other stuff and it has been solid so far.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
gently caress all of you enjoying the early days of a new DS game without an absolute obscene amount of crashing.

Any ETA on a patch? :sigh:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is it just me or do slow, heavy weapons kinda suck? Large Club and Greatsword were my jam in DaS2 but they feel so wimpy now.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Askin' again cause I didn't see anyone answer: Is anyone having luck with Blue Sentinels / Darkmoon towards the end of the game? If so, I'd love to know what level and weapon upgrade level I need to be at. I want Darkmoon Blade but getting Proof of Concord Kepts from Silver Knights seems like an absolutely insane grind. People are respeccing to 99 luck, wearing the mimic hat, and using coins and still farming like 4 of them an hour, so I really, really don't want to grind 30 of them that way.

I'm in mid-40's SL and dicking around with nothing above +4 and I cannot stop getting summoned to the Cathedral. Don't know why, but it's just popping off every five minutes, or sometimes one right after the other. Most of the time, it's like 30-60 minutes between patrols, which is nice because it breaks up exploring all of these crypts and poo poo, but I must have wandered into a sweet spot for getting a billion ears.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

loving hell I've just hit a boss that is far and away the hardest one in this game so far.

A few bosses past 3 Lords of Cinder spoilers: Champion Gundyr. Holy poo poo his second form does not let up. I can barely dodge all his attacks let alone find a place to get an attack in myself. One single time I managed to become semi-competent and got him down to a few hits left before he killed me. Since then he just flings me all around the place.

Probably a bit late with this, but dodge to his left (your right) while hugging him. His combos are fairly easy to predict so after a bit you can tell if he's going for a two or three hitter, then poke him in the butt before dodging again.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Apparently the Fume UGS got nerfed. Is it still worth using over the normal Greatsword, even when the former still has S Strength scaling?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cicadalek posted:

There seems to be lots out there. I've been using this one for Siegward and some other stuff and it has been solid so far.

thank you sir/ma'am

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm beginning to think that losing PvP fights as the invader or the invadee puts you at the end of the queue. Whenever I'm on a winning streak I can't even take off my covenant item between loading screens, but when I lose it takes a while to get another.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Republicans posted:

Is it just me or do slow, heavy weapons kinda suck? Large Club and Greatsword were my jam in DaS2 but they feel so wimpy now.

It's a different kinda playstyle. Play predictive instead of reactive. Dodge, and then when you know they're gonna be sitting there for a second, drop a fat rear end hit on them.

Smough's hammer is the best weapon ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Probably a bit late with this, but dodge to his left (your right) while hugging him. His combos are fairly easy to predict so after a bit you can tell if he's going for a two or three hitter, then poke him in the butt before dodging again.

Yeah I beat him since I posted that and this is pretty much what I ended up doing. He was hard but I finally got the hang of him.

Punches, kicks, shoulder slams... what a dick.