Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Platypus Farm posted:

It's a different kinda playstyle. Play predictive instead of reactive. Dodge, and then when you know they're gonna be sitting there for a second, drop a fat rear end hit on them.

Smough's hammer is the best weapon ever.

I feel like if I try to use a heavy weapon on anything remotely threatening it'll recover after being hit once and counterattack before I can either make a follow-up hit or even roll away. It's like there's a significant new delay between a swing and being able to take any other action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Republicans posted:

Is it just me or do slow, heavy weapons kinda suck? Large Club and Greatsword were my jam in DaS2 but they feel so wimpy now.

It's just you, I recently upgraded from the Zweihander to the Greatsword and I do not regret it. My secret is to attack first and ask questions later, let enemies run into your swing and then when they're stunned and recoiling you hit them again. Assuming your first swing doesn't kill them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Republicans posted:

Is it just me or do slow, heavy weapons kinda suck? Large Club and Greatsword were my jam in DaS2 but they feel so wimpy now.

Input buffer is your friend here, during boss fights in particular you often have enough time to dodge towards your enemy, hammer attack while still in the roll animation, and come up swinging.

Personally, I think one reason heavy stuff doesn't feel as awesome as 1&2 is because most NPCs that don't go down in one hit have bullshit levels of poise, and the long follow-through makes it extremely dangerous to stay near them after you swing.

Getting the right endurance level is also a big deal, you want to be absolutely sure that every swing ends with enough of the green stuff to immediately dodgeroll away if necessary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What does curse do in this one?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

NESguerilla posted:

What does curse do in this one?

kill you instant

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

sunbroing is pretty great. Wolnir would just be a royal pain in the rear end solo, between keeping damage on him and managing the adds that may show up. That was the first fight I summoned help for, but sat around an hour afterwards being jolly with strangers.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Good lord the Aldrich Faithful zone is absurd, in it for two minutes and invaded by two people at once with no dried finger in use, and there's that absolutely rude fight to join the covenant. At least it gives you a bonfire after you finally manage to win it somehow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When fighting Yorhm do you have to use the storm ruler sword?

Einwand posted:

Good lord the Aldrich Faithful zone is absurd, in it for two minutes and invaded by two people at once with no dried finger in use, and there's that absolutely rude fight to join the covenant. At least it gives you a bonfire after you finally manage to win it somehow.

Exploring that area embered is basically impossible unless you summon phantoms. The faithful get summoned super fast and the area is a lot less forgiving than the swamp.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

When fighting Yorhm do you have to use the storm ruler sword?

From my experience trying to sunbro before fighting him myself, yes. You basically do no damage otherwise.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2sWSQbrZY

DS2/SOTFS has nothing on how hosed up and scary the enemies in the later half of the game are.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I am loving the dark sword right now. It's got the range and near power of a claymore, at longsword speed, plus it's got stomp which seems to give you iframes that you can immediately follow with a strong (sadly, no launch like zweihanders, but much speedier).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I spend most of my time Embered and playing solo and I never get invaded, and every time I invade someone there are like 2+ phantoms protecting the host constantly. This blows.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Help I can't take off the covenant item I'm getting summoned too fast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regy Rusty posted:

From my experience trying to sunbro before fighting him myself, yes. You basically do no damage otherwise.

Well this is going to suck. I've become so reliant on my quickstep.

EDIT: Hm, I do 29 damage to him and at least one of his attacks can oneshot me :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 16, 2016

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Like 2 minutes after I lit the first bonfire in the High Wall on NG+ I get invaded by a random dude. I run in to the room under the dragon and pop the Giant seed to see if anything kills him, but nope. We end up fighting on the second bonfire, with him using a katana that did bleed and poison, but I invested enough into my Vit that I could just eat his combo and then punish him with my sword. Killed him in four hits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Emalde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2sWSQbrZY

DS2/SOTFS has nothing on how hosed up and scary the enemies in the later half of the game are.

Oh my god it was so perfect

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Seed of giants is the one item I just wanna hack 99 of into my inventory

You're gonna invade me, you play by my rules, and the rules say that npc enemies are loving monsters and we should all be terrified of them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pr0phecy posted:

Any ETA on a patch? :sigh:

There's a fresh patch scheduled for a couple of days from now, I think.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
This Giant dog beast under the bridge in the Boreal Valley is a real fucker. I've died to him than literally anything else in this game so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cicadalek posted:

You're gonna invade me, you play by my rules, and the rules say that npc enemies are loving monsters and we should all be terrified of them

Can you actually hold 99 of them or is it limited to 1/1? Because if it's 1/1 you'd probably get banned for having too many of them.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Internet Kraken posted:

Well this is going to suck. I've become so reliant on my quickstep.

EDIT: Hm, I do 29 damage to him and at least one of his attacks can oneshot me :regd09:

Its an anime storymode fight. You end up like, 5 or 6 shotting him with the sword fully charged :buddy:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh come the gently caress on, another boss that's gimmick is spinning like a whirling dervish Dancer? :wtc:

It wasn't fun last time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh damnit, I forgot to actually give the sorcery trainer some scrolls, and progressed too far and he vanished. Oh well, there's always NG+!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Jesus Christ Dancer of the :tutbutt: valley is a motherfucker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ruggington posted:

Rip Wolnir, you were super loving cool

He had a big ol' smile on his face when first showed up on my screen. Finally a new friend!

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Ruggington posted:

Jesus Christ Dancer of the :tutbutt: valley is a motherfucker

Try but hole

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Its an anime storymode fight. You end up like, 5 or 6 shotting him with the sword fully charged :buddy:

Er, how long does that take? Cause I hit him with the sword when it glowed white and did a whopping 86 damage.

EDIT: Oh I see, this is really disappointing though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Internet Kraken posted:

Er, how long does that take? Cause I hit him with the sword when it glowed white and did a whopping 86 damage.

The anime in question is DBZ, you need to spend a few more episodes charging up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to keep holding L2 while you attack. Took me a while to work that out.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh I see, this is really disappointing though.

You have to charge the sword for like 5 straight seconds, but then it holds it's charge until you use it, so that's nice. Test it out at the Bonfire first.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Speaking of which, is that something we can do yet? Not sure what the progress is on CEs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow that was the most disappointing fight ever. I legit feel cheated by the game right now. I'd been looking forward to that fight all game :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

At the Boreal Valley bonfire where you can get the proof of concord kept, what's the deal with that stair going up right next to it? It just leads to a small room with nothing in it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The most disappointing part about it to me was that the special giant-killing sword doesn't work on other giants.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

forget the bandit knife, this is the year of the straight sword and Kirk was kind enough to lend me his sword and shield so I can keep on bleeding out everything I meet :c00l:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I gave the vendor in the nexus Lorettas bone, and he seemed fine with selling me stuff for hours. Now he's too broke up over it and he won't sell me poo poo. He was my only source of passable arrows. What gives ?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

At the Boreal Valley bonfire where you can get the proof of concord kept, what's the deal with that stair going up right next to it? It just leads to a small room with nothing in it.

It connects to the next area but only one way. Unless you're using a guide you'll also probably never guess that the path their exists either so it's an interesting world connection point but not one you'll likely encounter.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NESguerilla posted:

So I gave the vendor in the nexus Lorettas bone, and he seemed fine with selling me stuff for hours. Now he's too broke up over it and he won't sell me poo poo. He was my only source of passable arrows. What gives ?

he gets over it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He needs to get over it quicker I need some arrows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Do a boss if you want it to clear up as fast as possible.