Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

But who would be Polnareff?

Meowth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Um, Meowth is Okuyasu!?

E: he could also be Shinichi actually

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Lucario would only be a bad attempt at a cool new pokemon if he wasn't literally the second most popular pokemon worldwide

but he is

so he's a pretty successful attempt

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

He evolves with high friendship, what the gently caress?!

That's how most baby type pokemon evolve, it's not unique to Riolu evolving into Lucario.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

scary ghost dog posted:

no crashes yet on ps4

My Japanese PS4 copy actually crashed once (you know, the version fromsoft self-published with no leeway for Bandai Namco to gently caress up), so it's not like it's a PC only thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's how most baby type pokemon evolve, it's not unique to Riolu evolving into Lucario.

Hmm, Eevee, Chansey, Togepi, Buneary, Munchlax, Golbat...

Huh, yeah that checks out.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

He also specifically evolves in the day time and uses hamon energy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The roster's fine for what it is, the broader problem is that it's a Pokemon game with a tiny roster, even including assists.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Whimsicott, a cotton ball/sheep pokemon that hit's like a truck and is super fast AND gets prankster so you can run it as a SP. Attacker or a set up/harasser or even just a counter set-up pokemon because Prankster Taunt outspeeds other pranksters when you're that fast.

It's my favorite.

Yeah cool I'm down

Dexie posted:

Pangoro is the only Dark/Fighting we have, IIRC, and he's cool too.

I always wanted this and I'm so glad it existed, he looks rad as gently caress too, Genwunning is loving stupid, yo.

that being said

RareAcumen posted:

Lucario is better than all three of the Gen 1 Legendary birds.

Articuno is cool though :(

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pangoro is not the first or best dark/fighting mon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Who is the Dio of Pokemon?

Blockhouse posted:

Lucario would only be a bad attempt at a cool new pokemon if he wasn't literally the second most popular pokemon worldwide

but he is

so he's a pretty successful attempt

I'm pretty sure Zoroark was the bad attempt at making another Lucario.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhonne posted:

Oh my god

I just looked him up and HE is the shadow the hedgehog to lucario's sonic

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zoroark's a kabuki kitsune and that kind of rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god

Zorua however, is adorable.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Only Pokemon worth anything is blastoise

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god

Nothing can me convince me that Lucario's popularity isn't Sonic fans mistaking it for a Sonic character

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rhonne posted:

Who is the Dio of Pokemon?

Zoroark loving failed because Game Freak was stupid as piss and made it a super hard to get event Pokemon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nothing can me convince me that Lucario's popularity isn't Sonic fans mistaking it for a Sonic character

I just really don't get why furries and people of that general bend love Lucario so much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Matt made the correct choice before it was even asked

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
There's 800 Pokemon and what do they do? They make a game with 16, with two versions of Pikachu. I don't get it. For the Tekken team's involvement, shouldn't the character roster be way larger?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
When you think about it, Lucario is just a shitter/ less cute version of Cubone

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lucario is a strong Ryu-like Protagonist-is-special pokemon that attracts the same kind of person that plays Default design Male Soldier Shepard.

Sadly that's the lion's share of consumers and he's super popular so Gamefreak puts him in everything.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 16, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Megalixir posted:

There's 800 Pokemon and what do they do? They make a game with 16, with two versions of Pikachu. I don't get it. For the Tekken team's involvement, shouldn't the character roster be way larger?

fighting games that simultaneously try to build an entirely new fighting engine and design a massive cast of characters from scratch are bad

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
People have been talking poo poo about koffing and that cannot stand.

it's just so stoked to be a ball of farts

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Megalixir posted:

Tekken has a big roster because it's gone through something like nine iterations. And Pikachu is the best and most perfect pokemon design, so of course they have two.

As to the Gen Wars, I think gen 1 has the least "mediocre" designs, a lot of them are either great or terrible. Nostalgia makes you forget about the bad ones, so all you remember are a bunch of Charizards and Eevee evolutions, and not dumpster fires like Dugtrio, Ekans, and Mr. Mime.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Remf posted:

People have been talking poo poo about koffing and that cannot stand.

it's just so stoked to be a ball of farts

It's actually high on its own farts... That's not a trait to admire.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

As to the Gen Wars, I think gen 1 has the least "mediocre" designs, a lot of them are either great or terrible. Nostalgia makes you forget about the bad ones, so all you remember are a bunch of Charizards and Eevee evolutions, and not dumpster fires like Dugtrio, Ekans, and Mr. Mime.

Not to mention all the ones that're just regular animals but now we're calling them a Pokemon. Like Seel, Goldeen and Shellder.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

hoobajoo posted:

Tekken has a big roster because it's gone through something like nine iterations. And Pikachu is the best and most perfect pokemon design, so of course they have two.

Raichu is better. :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

Matt made the correct choice before it was even asked

The return of the mystery box was pretty great

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lucario is a strong Ryu-like Protagonist-is-special pokemon that attracts the same kind of person that plays Default design Male Soldier Shepard.

Sadly that's the lion's share of consumers and he's super popular so Gamefreak puts him in everything.

I play default male Shepard because his head model has obviously more effort put into it and looks better than anything possible from the character creator. Also Soldier was by and far the best class in ME2 (haven't played the 3rd game).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neo_Crimson posted:

I play default male Shepard because his head model has obviously more effort put into it and looks better than anything possible from the character creator. Also Soldier was by and far the best class in ME2 (haven't played the 3rd game).

Look at this Lucario Boi. His favorite drink, a water with no ice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god

Nah, he's the Silver to Lucario's Shadow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zoroark is just kinda hilarious in hindsight, it's a blatant attempt at doing another Lucario, the same but opposite since instead of sensing auras it creates illusions, instead of fighting type it's dark type and it is very much the Shadow to Lucario's Sonic (without going into who has quality) Lucario even debuted in a movie before his gen started in which he hung out with Mew, Zoroark gets a movie where she hangs out with the legendary dogs from Gen 2, yet boy oh boy Zoroark did not work at all and by the time Black 2 and White 2 came out Lucario got his position as sub-mascot behind Pikachu again and for Gen VI he's even more prominent, even being a gift in XY and the first showcase of Mega Evolution in-game (and I think the pokemon variety talk show has a big barney-like Lucario thing hanging out ever since Gen VI started)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
then who's sonic

and don't say sandshrew

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

then who's sonic

and don't say sandshrew

Mewtwo. C'mon, I went thru this song and dance already.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Can anyone explain what happened to Pokemon Z and whatever legendary it would have gotten that they pre-emptively introduced? Like, is that title even going to exist at this point?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

Can anyone explain what happened to Pokemon Z and whatever legendary it would have gotten that they pre-emptively introduced? Like, is that title even going to exist at this point?

It's kinda obvious that the Pokémon Z legendary is the Legendary Super Saiyan.

i'm sorry i'll be hanging out in the jojo threads

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

HGH posted:

From the looks of things, they were gearing up for a Z version, but decided to do brand new games for the anniversary instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dexie posted:

From the looks of things, they were gearing up for a Z version, but decided to do brand new games for the anniversary instead.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just rolled Z into S&M at this point TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

HGH posted:

From all accounts it's supposed to be that Gunbuster Zygarde, but it looks like they're skipping Z entirely so who knows if we'll ever see that in-game.