Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I beat wolnir but my track record for sunbroing it is 0. I just keep getting dragged into the fog.

e; got one.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

He needs to get over it quicker I need some arrows

Just warp to the shrine from the shrine. It takes one warp to progress things like that and that's the quickest way to do it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That took an insane amount of dying, but that spinning bitch is dead finally.

Dramatic reenactment: :histdowns: :tutbutt:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow that was the most disappointing fight ever. I legit feel cheated by the game right now. I'd been looking forward to that fight all game :(

I wonder if there's anything special if you bash your face against him enough to kill him without storm ruler.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Emalde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2sWSQbrZY

DS2/SOTFS has nothing on how hosed up and scary the enemies in the later half of the game are.

:perfect:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Holy poo poo Great Chaos Fire Orb... I now believe in Pyromancy. I just killed the 3rd Ember boss in like 6 hits and the boss that you have to fight immediately after in like 10...I guess I don't feel to bad about not being able to get endgame sorceries anymore.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

I wonder if there's anything special if you bash your face against him enough to kill him without storm ruler.

I'm curious about that, as well as Ancient Wyvern without plunging attacking.

e: I went and looked up videos of both of these on Youtube... nothing special for either of them. :(

Olive! fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 16, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Emalde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2sWSQbrZY

DS2/SOTFS has nothing on how hosed up and scary the enemies in the later half of the game are.

Haha oh man that's a good rear end video.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
So is there a build that works for the Dancer's Enchanted Swords? The weapon looks cool, but doesn't seem to do any damage. I'm guessing its because it does 3 different types of damage so it has to go through 3 different resistances.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, calling it a night here. Just picked up the greatest item in all of Soulsbourne.

This ice town is very much like Eleyum Loyce but better and I love that Miyazaki can take basically the same concept but execute so perfectly on it. It's a big step up in challenge but it feels proper.

I got summoned into a world and fought a boss called the Pontif and like, hot drat, I feel like this guy is gonna be the Ornstein and Smough for this game.

I have the most fetching hat now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Barudak posted:

It connects to the next area but only one way. Unless you're using a guide you'll also probably never guess that the path their exists either so it's an interesting world connection point but not one you'll likely encounter.

People like to put signs on there so it's a little more obvious, I was kind of expecting something there though due to that tower looking like you should be able to get to it.

Can someone confirm to me that Anri's sword is both good and buffable, I kind of feel like making a fresh character to use it but don't really want to find out later that Fextralife is full of lies and I now have a useless 2nd character (luck/faith build).

Orv
May 4, 2011

L-O-N posted:

So is there a build that works for the Dancer's Enchanted Swords? The weapon looks cool, but doesn't seem to do any damage. I'm guessing its because it does 3 different types of damage so it has to go through 3 different resistances.

It's one of the weapons specifically cited as getting a performance update on Monday so for the moment I imagine not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well beat Dancer. Felt she was pretty fun...up until she kept randomly oneshotting me. Some of her attacks seemed to inexplicably do way more damage. One would just hit me for a quarter or half my health while others would kill me. And its not like they were strong attacks with an obvious wind up, she would just swipe her sword and oh this time it kills me.

So I got sick of that and threw fireballs at her. She's like a DS1 boss when it comes to responding to ranged threats; horrible gap closers and bad AI that keeps using moves that have no chance to hit you. Completely trivial compared to trying to dance between her blades.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This ice town is very much like Eleyum Loyce but better and I love that Miyazaki can take basically the same concept but execute so perfectly on it. It's a big step up in challenge but it feels proper.

I found Irythil to be way easier than Eleyum Loyce. All the enemies can be stunlocked so dealing with them individually isn't hard and you can pull apart most of the big groups. The nastiest enemies are the pyromancers when they have distance on you, but they stop showing up after the first part anyways. In Loyce, everything was way more clustered so managing the groups was a lot harder.

I'm not counting the double rat dog fight :colbert:

EDIT: HOLY poo poo THE FIREKEEPER HAD SOMETHING NEW TO SAY! :shepface:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god I thought I was good at these games but I'm getting ripped to shreds and I'm only at the 2nd boss :negative:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

I found Irythil to be way easier than Eleyum Loyce. All the enemies can be stunlocked so dealing with them individually isn't hard and you can pull apart most of the big groups. The nastiest enemies are the pyromancers when they have distance on you, but they stop showing up after the first part anyways. In Loyce, everything was way more clustered so managing the groups was a lot harder.

Yes, hence why Irythil is much better,

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Boy, everyone sliding around in multiplayer like Gumby on Ice sure is fun. Especially since the enemy AI ends up breaking, so they just kind of stand around receiving damage from you and your allies as you kind of thrust yourselves against them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For friend/password co-op: my friend and I started our run tonight, found that if the host was in a different zone (i.e. Firelink) when the phantom put their sign down, the sign would never show up when the host joined the zone. So it might be a good idea to wait till you are both in the zone to sign up, even with a password. Otherwise had no trouble linking up with passwords, though sometimes it takes 20-30 sec for the sign to appear.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just beat Abyss Watchers, holy poo poo it was like a flashback to the DS1 DLC and the Artorias bossfight, and I could even get his sword :3:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should make it so invaders get an estus charge if they kill a phantom.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I can't believe Aldrich is literally Kirby

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ignimbrite posted:

Just beat Abyss Watchers, holy poo poo it was like a flashback to the DS1 DLC and the Artorias bossfight, and I could even get his sword :3:

They're basically a bunch of bad Artorias cosplayers. Does anyone know why they are beating the poo poo out of each other during the boss fight?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the watchers are unique swordsmans

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

I can't believe Aldrich is literally Kirby

I can't believe Aldrich controls the fate of the Middle East

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How far through the game am I having beaten the catacombs boss? How much further to the fume ultra great sword? I know its in an optional area but is it easy to miss? I don't have the strength to use it currently anyway

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Jose posted:

How far through the game am I having beaten the catacombs boss? How much further to the fume ultra great sword? I know its in an optional area but is it easy to miss? I don't have the strength to use it currently anyway

if you just beat the catacombs boss you're on your way, iirc it's in the smouldering lake? break the bridge and climb down it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

They're basically a bunch of bad Artorias cosplayers. Does anyone know why they are beating the poo poo out of each other during the boss fight?

some of them (the red eye ones, most probably) got corrupted by the abyss. I forget where I read that.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
anyone having trouble on PS4 getting some trophies to pop? I used every single gem for upgrading and didn't get the trophy

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
questions about rings:

Is there a Ring of the Living (one that makes you look normal as a phantom) and what does the Horsehoof ring do? Is it like a comical knockback kick or what?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I go from not having ever invaded in a souls game to not really caring about leaving the forest. I can't believe how easy they made the full redeye to get. Invasion seems about four hundred times more reliable for getting an ember than helping. They really should have included little soap so you can peace out quickly if you want.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So uh.... What exactly do you get for beating a red phantom summon? I don't seem to have gotten anything for my troubles when I summoned a Red Phantom at Foot Of The High Wall on a whim since I had just leveled up and only had 183 souls on me anyways.

At least I won. Not knowing any better, I summoned a guy who was wearing the spiked armor and just spent the whole time rolling with me flailing away uselessly like an idiot for WAY too long, before I decided to trust the force, and two hand my longsword with no lock on.

I guess he was so surprised to be hit semi consistently by a guy wearing the default knight equipment that he never thought to take a second estus :v:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Gortarius posted:

questions about rings:

Is there a Ring of the Living (one that makes you look normal as a phantom)

Yes, you buy it from Yuria

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i want to do the purple covenant but apparently killing the tree blocks that for ages? thats a bit lovely

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Just jumped into this as my first Souls game. Died about ten times to Iudex Gundyr and another ten or so to the master swordsman outside firelink.

Having trouble getting backstabs down and keeping my shield up but I'm having fun I suppose. Dying so much just frustrates me sometimes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jose posted:

i want to do the purple covenant but apparently killing the tree blocks that for ages? thats a bit lovely

if you hadn't already joined it, yeah. Here's why

the area the tree knocks you all down to is the place where the guy you need to talk to to join the covenant is. He gets squished.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

a Loving Dog posted:

anyone having trouble on PS4 getting some trophies to pop? I used every single gem for upgrading and didn't get the trophy

You need to use a shriveling stone too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anyone know when the diminishing returns on certain stats kick in? IIRC in DS2 it was 50 for Vitality and 20 for Endurance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

if you hadn't already joined it, yeah. Here's why

the area the tree knocks you all down to is the place where the guy you need to talk to to join the covenant is. He gets squished.

who the gently caress thought that was a good idea

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You need to use a shriveling stone too.

ahhhh gracias senor

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you guard break an enemy(which I think is just overwhelming an enemy's poise while blocking) you can basically do a visceral attack.