Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the Princes can even see their beasts (unless they independently have their own nen abilities). They just think of the pot as a weird ritual they have to do, and then their rivals die from weird accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Narratively, it's a pretty good way of keeping Hunters and other nen-users from being able to just kill any given prince or to even make a prince a threat to said Hunters without giving the princes (who are generally spoiled royalty from what we've seen) their own nen abilities (which, barring things like Neon's abilities, require a lot of effort). It provides a good answer to questions like "what's keeping some Hunter from just killing the baby?" and such that fits the rules of the series pretty well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also it's a callback to YYH.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Which I am watching at the moment at this threads suggestion, I can see idea of nen crystalise, i'm about halfway through... the final matches of dark tournament.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You'll really see the Nen connection in the following arc but the Dark Tournament is definitely a start to that. It also has my favorite fighter Karasu a.k.a. the original Genthru

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Whatever happens later this vol... I hope there won't be another tourney event. Not a huge fan of Heaven's Arena at all.

Also Bisky's return :kimchi:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clarste posted:

I don't think the Princes can even see their beasts (unless they independently have their own nen abilities). They just think of the pot as a weird ritual they have to do, and then their rivals die from weird accidents.

I wonder how the nen beasts will operate: independently or controlled by the princes?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

alkanphel posted:

I wonder how the nen beasts will operate: independently or controlled by the princes?

It's already be said that the princes don't have control over the nen beasts and are unaware of them currently.

The Stronger Princes with more ambition no doubt have powerful nen beasts guarding them. Princes 10 to 14 are young teens and children, as a result they likely don't have the ambition or confidence to become King and likely have weak Nen Beasts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If nen beasts were proportional to the strength and influence of a given prince, there would be no point in having this contest.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Could be that babies are more pure and undeveloped, resulting in a raw as hell nen beast.

What the gently caress is this nen beast even supposed to do.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress.

According to the most recent chapter, Prince Harkenburg has a bad relationship with his mother and two sisters...

But his two older siblings from the same mother don't look like sisters?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems likely that the princes without nen will be unable to see their beasts but why couldn't any nen users see them? Like, I'm sure the giant titty monster doesn't stay materialized all the time but when it acts nen users should be able to see and interact with it. Otherwise, this contest would consist entirely of a bunch of mysterious poo poo happening because of nen beasts fighting and none of the characters would know what the heck was going on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wait nevermind guess there was one more sibling. Guess that makes 2 and 5 his sisters?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

If nen beasts were proportional to the strength and influence of a given prince, there would be no point in having this contest.

According to the king it kind of does.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh wait nevermind guess there was one more sibling. Guess that makes 2 and 5 his sisters?

Correct 2 and 5 are the sisters. Yes 5 is not super attractive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It seems likely that the princes without nen will be unable to see their beasts but why couldn't any nen users see them? Like, I'm sure the giant titty monster doesn't stay materialized all the time but when it acts nen users should be able to see and interact with it. Otherwise, this contest would consist entirely of a bunch of mysterious poo poo happening because of nen beasts fighting and none of the characters would know what the heck was going on.

Gyo is probably required to see them and Gyo is not a passive power.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The moment someone uses En they'll probably catch a whiff of them though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Could be that babies are more pure and undeveloped, resulting in a raw as hell nen beast.

What the gently caress is this nen beast even supposed to do.

Paizuri.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to the king it kind of does.

Correct 2 and 5 are the sisters. Yes 5 is not super attractive.

That is the man who became king with a nen beast made of titties. I don't think that whatever measure of character is used to determine the form and nature of their nen beast is that simple, is all. Then there is that "strong affinity for the dead" thing. The 4th prince is a necrophiliac of a sort, so if that was the defining trait he would easily have the strongest beast.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I love how in the pages that give a refresher of who the bodyguards are, they all have a unique background pattern, and most of them are nice stuff like jewels and floral patterns but Kurapika's background picture is loving barbed wire

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

also is it time to change the thread name?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

That is the man who became king with a nen beast made of titties. I don't think that whatever measure of character is used to determine the form and nature of their nen beast is that simple, is all. Then there is that "strong affinity for the dead" thing. The 4th prince is a necrophiliac of a sort, so if that was the defining trait he would easily have the strongest beast.
I don't think he's a necrophiliac, just a butcher.

I mean, he probably gets off on it, just not in that way.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ha ha actually let's not talk about this at all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

Done.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think he's a necrophiliac, just a butcher.

I mean, he probably gets off on it, just not in that way.

He loves dead bodies. So like I said, a kind of necrophiliac. It isn't like the manga will go into specifics anyway.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like he prefers all the stuff leading up to the bodies becoming dead, but values them dead as much as alive.

Gonna be great seeing Kurapika go against him for more reasons than one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, Kurapika went into very morally ambiguous territory even though the spiders are such assholes. Defending a baby from a serial killer who is already one of his targets is probably the best cause as he will ever find.

Also the baby's nen beast is gonna be incredibly freaky looking.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He loves dead bodies. So like I said, a kind of necrophiliac. It isn't like the manga will go into specifics anyway.

So the butcher from FMA?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well I mean, on a superficial level, let's be real here: the prince is grade A pond scum and it'd be great seeing just about anybody take him to the cleaners.

On a more mechanical level, however, there's the fact that this opponent poses a lot of unique challenges for Kurapika, whom a lot of people would consider "Broken" in a straight confrontation. The prince is a highly publicized and influential figure who can't be dealt with quietly, keeps a private army in his back pocket, and the rules and regulations of the succession would seem to render direct engagement difficult. There's also the fact that the prince isn't a Spider, while most of Kurapika's more powerful abilities are exclusively limited to the task of killing Spiders.

Least I be misunderstood, I don't think Kurapika and the prince were ever gonna have a traditional shounen brawl or anything. The prince isn't a fighter. My point is just that should push come to shove, Kurapika is being denied access to several of his trump cards. It's a great way of raising the stakes, and kinda makes me hope the Spiders don't show up this arc. Kurapika knows how to deal with Spiders, but he doesn't necessarily know how to deal with this guy, if what I'm saying makes sense? Or rather, he does know what to do, he's doing it, but he can't recover from a mistake here as easily as elsewhere.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 16, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's also a flesh collector, like Neon, but a far, far less sympathetic one; whereas Neon was a spoiled little girl with weird interests (she was into mummies and whatnot too), Tserriednich is not only a decadent prince (so already a level worse than Neon) and an adult rather than an overly sheltered teen, but he's an actual murderer. Neon likes dead things, but Tserriednich seems to, as Bad Seafood says, be as interested in making things die as their being dead. Obviously he has some interest in the latter, as otherwise the eyes wouldn't matter to him, but... Yeah. He seems like a thoroughly repulsive person. I'm looking forward to Kurapika getting his hands on him, though it might be hard given that he's apparently something of a genius himself. He'll be an interesting opponent, I imagine.

Meanwhile, hm, none of the other princes the group is guarding seem like that great of catches. Basho got Harkenberg's brother, but that's two degrees of separation from Tserriednich. Also, Tserriednich thinks he's a moron, but that could be to their advantage; he might be manipulable. The others... Three of the youngest, and a vain idiot, assuming Kurapika's estimation of Tyson is correct. We'll see if Kurapika can make any use of them, I suppose. Woble was actually probably the best one of the bunch for Kurapika to get, though; Oito's position can be leveraged, as she suggested, and their respective situations mean that they can trust each other (or, at least, pretend to do so).

I hope Woble survives this. I mean, Oito surviving too would be good, but if it's one or the other I think Oito would agree with me that her daughter has priority there.

Edit: I just realized that this ship business is basically an arc before the Dark Continent arc itself; there's no way that won't be an arc, but there's enough happening with the Hui Guo Ruo succession that it could be an arc of its own, like Yorknew was. In more ways than one, between the level of intrigue and Kurapika being the star of the show, and also in that it's happening on the way to something else; Yorknew was majorly important but also existed to bring about Greed Island, and this succession is literally happening on the trip to the Dark Continent.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 16, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I just hope 1.) the expedition doesn't get canceled due to the succession getting out of hand and 2.) that Leorio gets more time to shine.

A lot of people, myself included, have expressed hope that the Dark Continent arc will finally grant Leorio a greater measure of narrative focus, but thus far it's still mostly been the Kurapika show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think the 14th prince will survive if only because Kurapika failing to save him for whatever reason would seriously mess him up. The dude isn't nearly as ruthless as he likes to pretend to be. There is still the dark continent up next, so he has to come out of this somewhat functional. While I certainly wouldn't mind an arc that is all Leorio all the time, that is never gonna happen. Well, aside from how it will never happen because the manga will never get that far.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

I just hope 1.) the expedition doesn't get canceled due to the succession getting out of hand and 2.) that Leorio gets more time to shine.

A lot of people, myself included, have expressed hope that the Dark Continent arc will finally grant Leorio a greater measure of narrative focus, but thus far it's still mostly been the Kurapika show.

Yeah, I noticed that too, though I forgot to post about it. Leorio almost always gets sidelined by the other members of the main four; the only time he really got a spotlight was when Gon was hospitalized and Kurapika hosed off to wherever, and even then he got to share that arc with Killua. I mean, part of it now is because Kurapika's the one driving this plot and, since we're still in the setup, it's going to mostly be looking at him (let's be honest, there's not really much for Leorio to be doing just yet, though I wouldn't mind him hanging out with Cheadle or something since she's who he's going to be working with), but, yeah. I hope that, once things actually get underway, Leorio stops hanging out in everyone else's shadows.

Edit: Another problem of Leorio's, really, is that he's the "normal guy" of the group. His whole character and archetype make him ill-suited to taking the spotlight or driving the plot in a series like this. I mean, he achieved his goal of getting into medical school ages ago, and while working with Cheadle could help him with his goals past that, they probably wouldn't make as good of a plot as the insanity that happens whenever Kurapika's after his brethren's eyes and whatnot.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 16, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Stronger Princes with more ambition no doubt have powerful nen beasts guarding them. Princes 10 to 14 are young teens and children, as a result they likely don't have the ambition or confidence to become King and likely have weak Nen Beasts.

I'm not sure that's a matter of "no doubt". What does a baby really want? Survival. It wants milk and a clean diaper with all of its heart and soul. Laser-focused.

Togashi could pretty easily leverage that into the baby having the STRONGEST nen beast, which Kurapika needs to try to stop while at the same time protecting the baby from the other princes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I hope Woble survives this. I mean, Oito surviving too would be good, but if it's one or the other I think Oito would agree with me that her daughter has priority there.
Maybe I've become really cynical but I don't think Oito is going to make it. I get the feeling that once things get underway she'll try and elevate her own daughter to the throne rather than just putting all their ducks in Harkenburg's camp. Partly because she just announced her background as a "poor naive village girl" who was brought into this proverbial game of thrones; I feel like if she gets even the slightest hope that maybe she can come out on top she will take it. Not to mention that the weaker princes plan is essentially to blackmail him by threatening to reveal the details of the succession game to the public which would ruin his image and taint his career. I don't see him responding well to that realization if he's not already aware of it. So the dynamic is bound to change pretty quickly once the body count starts rising and the Nen Beasts come into play.

In all likelyhood Woble's nen beast is going to be an x factor here. Because of her age and supposed aura output I don't expect it to be huge or incredibly lethat. But Oito could learn of it's existence and find a way to strenthen it or guide it in her interests since it's not bound to Woble's control, just her body. And if Oito can prove to be useful in keeping Woble alive it may respond to her instructions.

Bad Seafood posted:

There's also the fact that the prince isn't a Spider, while most of Kurapika's more powerful abilities are exclusively limited to the task of killing Spiders.
Something must have changed because Kurapika has already stated that he could change the minds of people who were willing to die rather than resist him. And this recent chapter has him really pressing for some kind of physical contact with the 4th prince. It's entirely possible that he's created another form of hatsu to help him deal with people who have obtained the eyes of his family.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Roland Jones posted:

His whole character and archetype make him ill-suited to taking the spotlight or driving the plot in a series like this

He's a fundamentally decent person in a position of authority during an expedition to an unknown land of great promise and danger. That's like every other exploration story out there.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure that's a matter of "no doubt". What does a baby really want? Survival. It wants milk and a clean diaper with all of its heart and soul. Laser-focused.

Togashi could pretty easily leverage that into the baby having the STRONGEST nen beast, which Kurapika needs to try to stop while at the same time protecting the baby from the other princes.

stolen from the baki thread, because sometimes the baby does have the will to become king :black101:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think that Kurapika would have any problems handling most confrontations because he's been up to Some poo poo off screen this entire time presumably against non Spiders. Like if push comes to shove, not having access to all his chains won't be major handicap in this situation and like you said, the difficulty will mostly be political.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kurapika is still very smart and talented, so he can do just fine with one hand tied behind his back. However, he is now in a situation no single individual can control. Maybe the likes of Zeno or Netero could jump in and fight everyone at once but even that wouldn't really resolve much of anything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Something must have changed because Kurapika has already stated that he could change the minds of people who were willing to die rather than resist him.
Not to be untoward, but given Kurapika's choice of career, I simply assumed he put the screws on them. He's not a very intimidating person at a glance, so I could totally see some guy going "Yeah, sure, over my dead bod-OKAY OKAY I'M SORRY, TAKE THE EYES, JUST LET ME GO." For all his principles, he's effectively a mafia don now and does things their way. My point in that post was that he can't really use his underworld weight in this case - the prince isn't someone he can threaten or forcibly persuade in the same way he likely dealt with the other flesh collectors.

Regarding his powers, while it's possible he could simply invent new ones to cover for his fixation on the Spiders, I've always been under the impression it wasn't that easy to simply change or add on to your nen once you'd decided what you wanted to do with it, or everyone would be coming up with secondary powers to cover for their weaknesses. Either way, whether you agree with me or not, the key thing I hope we can all agree on is that this is a more delicate situation than Kurapika's ever been in before, and he'll likely have to find some creative ways of resolving any conflicts or missteps that arise.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too, though I forgot to post about it. Leorio almost always gets sidelined by the other members of the main four; the only time he really got a spotlight was when Gon was hospitalized and Kurapika hosed off to wherever, and even then he got to share that arc with Killua. I mean, part of it now is because Kurapika's the one driving this plot and, since we're still in the setup, it's going to mostly be looking at him (let's be honest, there's not really much for Leorio to be doing just yet, though I wouldn't mind him hanging out with Cheadle or something since she's who he's going to be working with), but, yeah. I hope that, once things actually get underway, Leorio stops hanging out in everyone else's shadows.

Edit: Another problem of Leorio's, really, is that he's the "normal guy" of the group. His whole character and archetype make him ill-suited to taking the spotlight or driving the plot in a series like this. I mean, he achieved his goal of getting into medical school ages ago, and while working with Cheadle could help him with his goals past that, they probably wouldn't make as good of a plot as the insanity that happens whenever Kurapika's after his brethren's eyes and whatnot.
The problem with Leorio is that his driving motivation is very passive whereas everyone else's is proactive. Gon's looking for his father, Kurapikia's looking for his kinsmen's eyes, Killua is trying to be a better person and escape his upbringing. Leorio just wants to be a doctor, and thus far has spent most of his time out of the picture studying. He doesn't have a rival or anything to forces him out of his routine. His one proactive goal was to become a hunter so he could afford tuition; since then he's had nothing until the Chairman Election arc where he tried to raise awareness for Gon's plight.

Dude needs something to do, or at least someone else to do something while he rides shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

lol