Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The VTR1000 is cool, engine and gearbox are top but it's pretty tubby and the brakes are bad (as it's an older bike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RSV

edit:
Someone talk me out of this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5471669913.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 6, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
With all the people selling groms saying "WILL TRADE FOR SUPERSPORT RACEBIKE OR STUNT BIKE. I NO WHAT I HAVE" it's really strange to see someone with a supersport race bike asking for the flipside.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
RC51's are pretty rad. Did Honda ever offer a non touring V4 bike besides the RC45 rare-as-gently caress homologation thing? I have a lustful boner for V4 Honda sounds, but VFRs are kind of big and fat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PaintVagrant posted:

RC51's are pretty rad. Did Honda ever offer a non touring V4 bike besides the RC45 rare-as-gently caress homologation thing? I have a lustful boner for V4 Honda sounds, but VFRs are kind of big and fat.

Go Aprilia v4 or go home.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Sure, the RC30 (good luck)! Japan and the UK got the NC21, NC24, NC30, and NC35, otherwise known as the VFR/RVF 400. They are grey market and can be found occasionally in the U.S. but beware they are TINY. U.S. VFR's are unfortunately heavy (that motor is a pig) but they don't feel like it once you get moving. The prices on 4th and 5th gen VFR's are very attractive and makes me want another to replace my 95. 6th gens are nice bikes but I don't care for early versions of moto-vtec and my understanding is that working on them is no fun.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Am I missing something or did the RC51 morph from a v-twin to a V4 when I wasn't looking?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, it's a twin. That's why I asked about the VTR1000. I think these guys are confusing the RC51 with the RC45 (which is a 750cc v4).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

No, it's a twin. That's why I asked about the VTR1000.

That doesn't necessarily make it any less convoluted, since the RC51 was sold under the VTR1000 name in Europe and Japan (I assume you're were asking about the US-market VTR1000F Superhawk) :shobon:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

No, I just didnt really parse my sentences very well. RC51s are cool, but RC45's are cooler because they are V4s and I wish there was a more common Honda bike (like RC51 common) that was a V4 layout and more sport-oriented.

The little grey market vfr400s sound hilarious. I remember reading about grey market 400cc bikes when I was in high school, was really jealous about how easy it was for non-Americans to get them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coydog posted:

This is actually pretty brilliant, and I think I'll give it a try the next chance I get.

Just remember, don't go out there until at least a few people have showed up.
Stall. Say you're "on your way" or something.

Note: don't do this to reasonable CL respondents. I only do this if I get a gaggle of assholes/idiots that I don't feel like dealing with.

It's especially fun to look them all in the face and say "hmm... well you all can figure this out right? Call me when you're done." and walk away.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342945

Man. Too bad SLC is 11hr one way for me, kinda kills the deal once you figure in another $250 in gas plus a hotel. On the lookout for a SV trackbike or even a stock one sub $1k.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Hotbodies: garbage. Engine Ice: garbage (in all seriousness, while CCS allows it, I don't know why you'd ever run it over water wetter, especially in AZ). Yoshimura: not Akropovic/Graves, thus, garbage. Doesn't have Dunlops: garbage (my southeast bias is showing :v:). Yellow plates: bike isn't fast enough to race in expert, garbage.

In short, you should buy it because it's a $3k prepped R6.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Will trade for Grom lol

Isn't there a dude from Flagstaff on here with a Grom?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Man. Too bad SLC is 11hr one way for me, kinda kills the deal once you figure in another $250 in gas plus a hotel. On the lookout for a SV trackbike or even a stock one sub $1k.

Add another $15 to that $250 for beer and a movie and then consider that $265 as money well spent on a "vacation"!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

BlackMK4 posted:

Traveling quick tip: Stay at tent campsites then sleep in your car(or a tent). It's cheap as balls and a good way to travel around the country for cheap.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shadowlz posted:

Traveling quick tip: Stay at tent campsites then sleep in your car(or a tent). It's cheap as balls and a good way to travel around the country for cheap.

I know a guy who used to tour all over Europe with just a foil blanket, sleeping in his gear on the ground at campsites with the foil blanket as a groundsheet. If it rained he put his waterproofs on. Wasn't a cheapness thing, he just absolutely hated luggage and he could fit the foil blanket and waterproofs under the seat of his Fireblade. You have to admire that level of commitment and simplicity, but also hope you're not downwind of him on the ferry back.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gorson posted:

Add another $15 to that $250 for beer and a movie and then consider that $265 as money well spent on a "vacation"!

It's in Utah.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Uinta and Zion Canyon brew some fantastic beers, but maybe that was the previous 10 hours of riding through the blast furnace they call Utah talking.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^WRT Utah, my girlfriend went rafting there last year and she said they had tons of excellent local brews in hippie towns like Moab (eg green chile beer), but really stupid serving laws. Most bars got around them though by charging your a dollar to become a lifetime "member" so they could serve you cold beer with higher abv than kimboucha. I'd love to make a Utah beer migration, especially as Uinta's Hop Notch is hands down my favorite beer.

:ughh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That price is insane, where is he?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That has to be a troll add, it's worth 3 times as much.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It's a spammer for sure, but it's the first one I've ever laughed at

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Saw a spam post on a local craigslist recently. They've taken to using random words to describe the motorcycle in the title... one unfortunate choice was "Worthless".

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I'm looking at getting another bike; I've mentioned before, but I'm looking at a few different varieties. It'll mainly be for weekend hill rides and the odd longer-distance stuff.

Leaning towards a ZX12 with some sort of bar risers. Something like this:

Anybody have any insight on these? (That's probably a median price for Australia, if not a little low).
I've read that the first iteration has issues with the clutch or something, and a few other smaller things. I'd wager most of these have been sorted if they're still running after ~15 years.

Others I'm going to be looking into are Speed Triples, and as previously ogled, Super Duke 990s (1290 in Aus are still literally $20k+ second hand).
Thoughts on these? :ohdear:

immediatedit; suggest me a bike urgh

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I wonder (doubt) if that that paint on the engine is for high temperatures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was wondering what it does for cooling effectiveness, actually.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well, companies sell painted black intercoolers, and they claim cooling efficiency isn't effected.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Well, companies sell painted black intercoolers, and they claim cooling efficiency isn't effected.
Intercoolers don't get nowhere near as hot as engine blocks. This is like apples to watermelons comparison.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How about brake caliper enamel?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nitrox posted:

Intercoolers don't get nowhere near as hot as engine blocks. This is like apples to watermelons comparison.

That engine probably has the comp ratio of a tractor so it might get close to 100C.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

That engine probably has the comp ratio of a tractor so it might get close to 100C.

As a matter of interest, how hot *do* high-spec air-cooled engines get? I mean I'm guessing considerably over 100 but under whatever the breakdown point of the oil is (300?).

(The highest-power air-cooled bike I've ever owned was an MZ ETZ that revved so low the engine had time to cool down to ambient between each spark)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
GL1100 goldwings run at about 230 degrees oil temperature, and that's not a high revving race engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As a matter of interest, how hot *do* high-spec air-cooled engines get? I mean I'm guessing considerably over 100 but under whatever the breakdown point of the oil is (300?).

(The highest-power air-cooled bike I've ever owned was an MZ ETZ that revved so low the engine had time to cool down to ambient between each spark)

Ducati 620 engine in my buddy's multistrada, would get up to 270-280F under normal use on a hot day. Safety cutout is 320F.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
300F is where the Ulysses is considered "warmed up" - that is when the cold start enrichment reaches 0% and the fuel map enters open loop. "Overheat" is considerably hotter, I've never had a legit overheat on a Buell and I've done Sturgis Lazelle St. and paraded at 30mph through National Parks in 108F heat Utah in the summer. Skip spark (soft overheat) happens at like 500F.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Check out this R6 that a totally trustworthy dealer in my area is selling for $4000.

:raise: That's not an R6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Similar -