Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kal Torak posted:

I'm not sure how complicated you want it to be, but this might help:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...uHEt41xiSGTNP_Q

The tax rates are old but could be updated. It walks you through step by step how you would calculate tax and shows you the formulas.

I can work from that, I think; thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
My current job doesn't have a RRSP matching plan, but I'd like to reduce the amount of tax deducted from my pay so I can invest it in my RRSP instead of having it do nothing in government coffers until tax return. From what I understand, I need to file a T1213 form, notify my payroll and send the form to the CRA?

Is it worth the hassle?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I did it this year, it was relatively painless. You first apply for the letter from CRA, then present it to your payroll department at work.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Mantle posted:

I did it this year, it was relatively painless. You first apply for the letter from CRA, then present it to your payroll department at work.
I did it and it took forever and then they hosed up by putting my old employer's name on the approval letter, which my new employer would not accept, so I gave up.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm not sure how it's possible but somehow Turbotax became worse to use then just doing it by hand.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Use Genutax

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
StudioTax is free and pretty great.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
SimpleTax looks nice too, but I've been using StudioTax because :quebec:.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I always do my taxes by hand because I am an old person at heart.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

jm20 posted:

Use Genutax

Been using it while out of country the past three years and it rocks pretty hard and is free so I take the opportunity to plug it when I can.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just picked the first one on the CRA website.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i used simpletax.ca and it was a very pleasant experience a++++ would recommend

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
SimpleTax is free and beautiful but I always throw them $10 for not being Intuit.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HookShot posted:

I always do my taxes by hand because I am an old person at heart.

:hfive: Me too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Semi-dumb question: Which of the Tangerine credit card categories would airplane tickets and travel agency fees likely end up under? My third category is kind of a wildcard anyway, and since I'm planning to pay for airplane tickets and fees on my cycling trip later in August, I might as well make it worthwhile while I have this ridiculous 4% money back.

e: The deposit from my travel agency definitely showed up as MCC "TRAVEL AGENCIES".

e2: Welp, Tangerine lists the MCCs in each of their categories here, travel doesn't seem to be one of them. :suicide:

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 27, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm going to be paid regularly in USD in the future. What's the best way to manage USD while resident in Canada? I bank regularly with TD and Scotia. TD can go gently caress itself. I have a portfolio manager with Scotia. Should I hit his rear end up for some kind of sweet deal so I don't get hosed everytime I need to buy a crystal chandelier from Restoration Hardware?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'm going to be paid regularly in USD in the future. What's the best way to manage USD while resident in Canada? I bank regularly with TD and Scotia. TD can go gently caress itself. I have a portfolio manager with Scotia. Should I hit his rear end up for some kind of sweet deal so I don't get hosed everytime I need to buy a crystal chandelier from Restoration Hardware?

Open a USD bank account, and just transfer money whenever the dollar is poo poo. But be aware that depending on where you get paid from some places won't send USD funds to a Canadian bank account, even if it's in USD, and so in that case go to the border and go to a TD in the USA and open an account there. You can shoot your money across from one country to the other.

Unless Scotiabank has a totally different system from TD (spoiler alert: all the banks work exactly the same) your portfolio manager won't be able to get you a better deal on FX, the computer decides what your deal is. If you spend a lot of money with your bank though (ie huge mortgage, business and personal loans, car loans +) though they might automatically give you a slightly better rate than the poors who don't own a house in Vancouver get.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I was in this situation for quite a few years. Had it down to an art:

- Get a BMO USD Savings account
- Get clients to pay via wire transfer into this account (this is a headache to get working, because banks, but it's definitely do-able once you work out all the arcane coordinates - swift numbers and poo poo, and test it out)
- Norbert's Gambit anytime you want to convert USD to CAD... you can do it perfectly inside BMO Investorline without a need to call it in or anything. $10 a trade times two. Works best for amounts $5k and higher. I always used RY as the exchange mechanism as it's ludicrously liquid on both sides of the border, and you're only holding the stock itself for 30 seconds or so. You'll get essentially mid-market FX rates doing this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Thanks forums bros!

Just got off the line with my scotia guy. He basically proposed doing a norbert's gambit on a schedule so I can pay for my PREMIUM LUXURY GERMAN AUTOMOBILE* on time.

*daycare :negative:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

It is very disturbing to see a non-shitpost by CI

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Just got off the line with my scotia guy. He basically proposed doing a norbert's gambit on a schedule so I can pay for my PREMIUM LUXURY GERMAN AUTOMOBILE* on time.

I like how advisors are so complicit to Norbert's gambit. So why don't you dickheads just remove foreign exchange fees?

Banks.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Jan posted:

I like how advisors are so complicit to Norbert's gambit. So why don't you dickheads just remove foreign exchange fees?

Banks.

I wouldn't remove the forex fees either, if I were running a business with practically zero competition and customers who are mostly idiots :colbert:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

My e-series TFSA is finally set up, so I owe you all a bunch of thanks!

However, I have another question: I'm looking to transfer a large sum of money from my Scotia account to my PC Financial account, and it seems that e-transfers have a $3,000 limit.

Is there a better (or at least cheaper than $1 for $3,000, if not easier) way to send... say, $20k to a new account?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

mojo1701a posted:

However, I have another question: I'm looking to transfer a large sum of money from my Scotia account to my PC Financial account, and it seems that e-transfers have a $3,000 limit.

Is there a better (or at least cheaper than $1 for $3,000, if not easier) way to send... say, $20k to a new account?

Write yourself a cheque.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kal Torak posted:

Write yourself a cheque.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I can't. I only got a few cheques from when I first opened the account, and I've used them all up a couple of years ago.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I can't. I only got a few cheques from when I first opened the account, and I've used them all up a couple of years ago.

cashiers cheque?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

sbaldrick posted:

cashiers cheque?

Banks usually charge a fair bit for those, or at least TD does. $7.50 or so last time I got one.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

mojo1701a posted:

You could probably just go into your Scotia branch and get them to give you a cheque. Or withdraw it all in cash. :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
This may be too convoluted, but you could sign up for Tangerine (assuming you have a cheque for your Scotiabank account) and setup both of those as external accounts in Tangerine. Then you can transfer PC > Tangerine > Scotiabank.

You could also take advantage of whatever sign-up bonus Tangerine is running right now.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Vatek posted:

Banks usually charge a fair bit for those, or at least TD does. $7.50 or so last time I got one.

drat, that's a lot more then the last time I got one.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
I deposit into my Questrade brokerage account (via online banking billpay) and then withdraw to the other bank account.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you ask nicely the teller will probably waive the fee.

I used to just waive the fee for the hell of it sometimes if the person was even reasonably polite.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

You could probably just go into your Scotia branch and get them to give you a cheque. Or withdraw it all in cash. :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

HookShot posted:

If you ask nicely the teller will probably waive the fee.

I used to just waive the fee for the hell of it sometimes if the person was even reasonably polite.

When they tell you what the fee is, very politely decline and ask for it all in cash.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

yippee cahier posted:

When they tell you what the fee is, very politely decline and ask for it all in cash.

Fun fact at least when I worked at TD you weren't able to get more than 4k in cash out in a single transaction without calling ahead first, there just isn't that much cash put into the machine at the beginning of the day, and the main vault in the back with a lot more money in it is on a timed lock, it can't be opened during business hours for safety reasons.

But a large cash transaction is actually a lot easier for the teller to do than a cashier's cheque or money order, simply from an "amount of work involved" standpoint. Cashiers cheques/money orders are pretty annoying to write up.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Is there a way to check the real-time balance/value of the remaining contribution room for a TFSA?

As an update from a few pages back, after being told in this thread that my piss-poorly performing mutual funds sheltered in my TFSA also had insultingly high MERs, I met with my bank and told them to remove the money from the mutual funds. I asked them if it was possible to do so without ever withdrawing them from the TFSA umbrella so that it wouldn't count against the contribution room for 2016, and they confirmed that that would be the case. So I pulled the trigger and now my savings are out of there and back into the plain TFSA.

But looking at the account statement though, the bank is qualifying the TFSA Mutual Funds -> TFSA savings account transfer as a "deposit from: [blank]", so I don't really know anymore.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Tipps posted:

Is there a way to check the real-time balance/value of the remaining contribution room for a TFSA?

As an update from a few pages back, after being told in this thread that my piss-poorly performing mutual funds sheltered in my TFSA also had insultingly high MERs, I met with my bank and told them to remove the money from the mutual funds. I asked them if it was possible to do so without ever withdrawing them from the TFSA umbrella so that it wouldn't count against the contribution room for 2016, and they confirmed that that would be the case. So I pulled the trigger and now my savings are out of there and back into the plain TFSA.

But looking at the account statement though, the bank is qualifying the TFSA Mutual Funds -> TFSA savings account transfer as a "deposit from: [blank]", so I don't really know anymore.

Nope. You can check your TFSA contribution room on My Account at CRA's website but it can take months for them to update last year's information.

Chances are they did it correctly. I think the banks have gotten better at this...

You will have a to wait about a year and see how it is reported to CRA at that time and then challenge it if required.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Kal Torak posted:

You will have a to wait about a year and see how it is reported to CRA at that time and then challenge it if required.

Would there be anything to challenge, though? A year from now, any potential removed contribution room would be regained.

Unless he's planning on contributing more and over cap because of this removed contribution room...

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Jan posted:

Would there be anything to challenge, though? A year from now, any potential removed contribution room would be regained.

Unless he's planning on contributing more and over cap because of this removed contribution room...

If he over-contributed for this year, he's still on the hook for any penalties they assess.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tipps posted:

The only one that would know what you did right now is the bank, and even then you'd have to add up all your different TFSAs separately if you have multiple accounts. CRA won't take anything for 2016 until next year, so your best bet would be to talk to someone at the bank now and make sure it's right. If anything did go wrong, you can get it fixed this year it will all get done before CRA knows any better, but if you wait until it's filed with CRA then it's a lot more work to get fixed since it will require amendments and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Can you set your PC account up as a bill payment in your Scotia account? That's how I move cash from my PC checking account to my TD Waterhouse TFSA. Takes 1-3 days, but I've moved 10K no problem.