Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I think Guernsey is covered by both the tax havens and private feudal fiefdoms bit.

efb

Yeah sorry, I can't read.

Green Wing posted:

The site map with all current users is a communist reeducation facility. :bernpop: it is marketing genius, I almost wanted to lease a car despite having no need or desire.

e: I hadn't even spotted that, incredible.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

That's probably only because there aren't any offshore not-really-British islands with stupid backwards laws that Britain can build camps on that aren't already being using as tax havens or feudal fiefdoms or both.
At least until Cameron's Jamaican Supermax is complete.

Oh yeah?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/refugee-families-marooned-raf-base-cyprus

I don't think anyone was fined for trying to kill themselves, but we did try to evict them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Green Wing posted:

The site map with all current users is a communist reeducation facility. :bernpop: it is marketing genius, I almost wanted to lease a car despite having no need or desire.
Which map is that? I found the map of customers but not the one of current users.

e: Good to see they can bring the rules lawyers out in force whenever it comes to keeping a handful of desperate people out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Napoleonic wars at the same time stole all the limelight; the War of 1812 gets roped into that as a proxy war or a outlier brand extension

We got a cool song out of it though. Thanks, Francis Scott Key..
(Two songs if you like country music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_New_Orleans)

My American in laws used to love to play this one when I was at their house :shobon:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Anythting to do with refugees reinforces what spiteful pieces of poo poo we are

Anytime the news talks about how the picture of that kid drowning ”changed the conversation" or whatever bullshit really pisses me off, it never even for a moment caused people to go oh these people are desperate and in deep poo poo, it just temporarily embarrassed some politicians because they didn't want to seem like they don't care even though they didn't don't and never will

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I too am feeling emotions, fellow humans!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I am tired but emotionless

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

In the truly Private Eye sense, I am getting rather tired and emotional

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've been very tired and emotional for the past few hours, paid for by the tax payer.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Pissflaps posted:

As one of the few authentically working class voices in this thread I don't like it one bit.

I agree. The people in this thread treat members of the working class with scorn unless they agree exactly with everything they think, it is what I have had to put up with for 13 years. Shameful stuff.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Is not liking racism a middle class thing now?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alan BStard posted:

I agree. The people in this thread treat members of the working class with scorn unless they agree exactly with everything they think, it is what I have had to put up with for 13 years. Shameful stuff.

Pish. You can still be working class & notice that racism is bad & that immigrants aren't to blame for every ill. I don't treat the working class with scorn, but I certainly will treat members of the working class who fall into reactionary views with scorn, no different than if they were middle or upper class. I manage to be working class & not a racist, you probably can too! It's not a difficult thing to be.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Now I'm a racist. Never stop UKMT.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alan BStard posted:

Now I'm a racist. Never stop UKMT.
No, you just seem to be joining Flaps in justifying & defending racists purely based on class. Which is pretty patronising & lazy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Napoleonic wars at the same time stole all the limelight; the War of 1812 gets roped into that as a proxy war or a outlier brand extension

We got a cool song out of it though. Thanks, Francis Scott Key..
(Two songs if you like country music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_New_Orleans)

There was a Canadian comedy song group that made one about it too

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

No, you just seem to be joining Flaps in justifying & defending racists purely based on class. Which is pretty patronising & lazy.

I'm joining flaps in being one of the few working class posters in this thread. Everything else is just your hatred of "the proles" revealing itself.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Are you working class if you have a plastic lunchbox or does it have to be one of those rattley old tin ones?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Does the lunchbox have Superman on it?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I've not seen any evidence that posters ITT are overly middle class. What were the results of that UKMT census a while ago?

Anyway I'm working class and still think racists are dumb.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tooterfish posted:

Does the lunchbox have Superman on it?

Superted.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Artisanal hammered metal lunchboxes, with ironic retro 80's designs? From some kind of kickstarter???

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
lmao just lmao if you don't take your lunch to work in a carrier bag.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alan BStard posted:

I'm joining flaps in being one of the few working class posters in this thread. Everything else is just your hatred of "the proles" revealing itself.
No, as explained, being working class isn't a magic method of avoiding responsibility for lovely, regressive views. I don't hate the working class, it'd be a bit loving daft hating myself & my family, but to pretend that working class people aren't capable of semi-informed decisions like "not being racist" is every bit as patronising towards them as you seem to think others are being.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Your great grandparents? Did England conscript loads of old people during WW2?

WW2 was 70 years ago, to fight in it you'd need to be about 90 now.

Are they making shaun of the dead 2?

E: Working class people are good and I would generally rather hang out with them than nobs, but it's annoying when they vote against their economic interests and are racist twats.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 16, 2016

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Loved Whittingdale getting a caning (hehe) on have i got news for you last night.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Racism permeates every class, to think otherwise is foolish

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

When the gently caress did I 'defend racists'?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

forkboy84 posted:

Pish. You can still be working class & notice that racism is bad & that immigrants aren't to blame for every ill. I don't treat the working class with scorn, but I certainly will treat members of the working class who fall into reactionary views with scorn, no different than if they were middle or upper class. I manage to be working class & not a racist, you probably can too! It's not a difficult thing to be.

Guys, racism transcends class.

I've seen just as much idiotic bile from my white collar peers as from anyone else. The argument just tends to shift depending on who you're talking to. I've never heard a middle class person talk about migrants undercutting pay, or taking jobs for example. The focus tends to be on their effect on public services or the economy (paying more taxes to support their benefits, etc).

I suppose it reflects whatever justification for racism they've consumed through the media that's targeted at them.

Actually I'm curious as to whether other people's experiences are the same. I feel like I can clearly categorise the arguments into working/middle class ones:

Working class
- community cohesion/'it's like it's not even my own country any more'
- undercutting pay/taking jobs
- don't speak the language

Middle class
- my taxes pay for their benefits/bunch of scroungers
- 'we're full'/drain on public services
- generally rejecting the idea that they're imigrants for anything other than 'economic' reasons.

I very rarely hear the former arguments in the wild, and I wonder if that's a product of who I interact with on a daily basis.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 16, 2016

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Ah man, I haven't seen Ling's site for a few years. I'm glad to see she's keeping it up/down to standard.

Of course she is the Viz Ethnic Business Ambassador ("Send me Ferrero-Rocher! Yum yum!") :allears:

Green Wing posted:

You wouldn't be making as enormous a mistake as it looks, the site is actually very transparent about the costs involved.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

WW2 was 70 years ago, to fight in it you'd need to be about 90 now.

My grandfather would be 94 today!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
George Osborne is a sociopath

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/16/chancellor-overruled-amber-rudd-on-changes-to-fuel-poverty-scheme

quote:

George Osborne has overruled energy minister Amber Rudd by vetoing changes to the government’s £320m scheme tackling fuel poverty that would have targeted it better at the neediest families, leaked emails show.

Rudd is often regarded as a close ally of the chancellor, but the two clashed during March over changes to the warm home discount (WHD), which is administered by energy providers and provides a £140 rebate to help poorer households pay their bills.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

Working class
- community cohesion/'it's like it's not even my own country any more'
- undercutting pay/taking jobs
- don't speak the language

Middle class
- my taxes pay for their benefits/bunch of scroungers
- 'we're full'/drain on public services
- generally rejecting the idea that they're imigrants for anything other than 'economic' reasons.

This seems fairly accurate to my experience. I'd just add to the middle class one "why do they come to Britain when there's plenty of safe Europe between us and their homes" which also ties into why the last thing is a common perception.

winegums posted:

I've not seen any evidence that posters ITT are overly middle class. What were the results of that UKMT census a while ago?

Anyway I'm working class and still think racists are dumb.

Do another census in May.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

This seems fairly accurate to my experience. I'd just add to the middle class one "why do they come to Britain when there's plenty of safe Europe between us and their homes" which also ties into why the last thing is a common perception.

Do another census in May.

What do you answer to that, anyway?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

What do you answer to that, anyway?

I wish I knew. I guess an argument about the relatively low amount of migrants we get in comparison to most of the rest of Europe, or the fact that without migration as it is we'd have a staffing crisis in the nursing/care industry, but that's more of a deflection than a direct answer.

Some arguments are easier than others "why dont they show blitz spirit and help protect their country" can be countered with "we didn't have civil war on our streets", but it's trickier to justify the uk's draw factor for migration as that tends to play into the right's hands. "Would you want conditions to be worse for everyone, just to prevent migration" perhaps?

The reason these arguments are pervasive is because there is no easy answer.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

No, as explained, being working class isn't a magic method of avoiding responsibility for lovely, regressive views. I don't hate the working class, it'd be a bit loving daft hating myself & my family, but to pretend that working class people aren't capable of semi-informed decisions like "not being racist" is every bit as patronising towards them as you seem to think others are being.

That's all great and everything but it bears no relation to anything I said. Thanks though :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even today the UK is still like 90% useless fields. This whole 'we're full' idea is just silly.

Pave it all over and build a few more houses so I can afford to live in one, guys.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

When the gently caress did I 'defend racists'?

It seems you disagreed with a thread consensus and thus you are now a racist bigot for life. I'm sorry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would think "why do you want to live in britain?" would probably be a fairly sensible answer.

If you want to live here why wouldn't other people? As to why they should be able to, the answer is because no human is more or less valuable than another and they have as much right to live in a nice place as you do.

Unless you're a: rich or b: a fascist in which case gently caress off we're full.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ddraig posted:

lmao just lmao if you don't take your lunch to work in a carrier bag.

I have a very nice leather satchel from John Lewis. I expect your plastic carrier bag isn't as durable, and will need to be replaced often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
so you can afford lunch?
bourgie pricks

• Locked thread