Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

For those of us who did not play the base game, does the expansion update the tutorials, etc. to incorporate the expansion changes as well?
Thankfully the major mechanics being introduced are either self-explanatory or are expansions to existing systems.

Personally I'd have liked to do an 'advanced tutorial' which is just a walkthrough of all the new features and the new races but our time is limited; especially with the target launch date we're hoping to hit.
Instead, we'll be pushing out highlights and articles on the expansion's new systems as we run up to the launch date of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just picked this up and haven't figured it out yet, but I love the scale of the game, and the Diplomacy System is unique and fun. Now to figure out how to min-max properly.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Good luck! Feel free to toss questions this way if you come up with some the Wiki doesn't get into.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I got excited about an expansion since you mentioned it in the Stellaris thread, but I checked your website and there's no information at all about it there :(

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
We're holding back on putting much more information out on the expansion until Valve approves our store page. We've already got some of the pages set up for it - they're just living on Lucas' machine right now and are waiting for the green light to publish to the interwebs. We didn't think it'd take them this long to approve a DLC - but it looks like it's going to.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

I got excited about an expansion since you mentioned it in the Stellaris thread, but I checked your website and there's no information at all about it there :(

You guys should totally plug SR2 even though it's a competing game, there's plenty of room for two good space 4x/grand strategy games out there in the wasteland we've currently got!

(Also make a That Which Sleeps that actually exists :v:)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I did a little bit of beta testing for SR2, I would not say no.

TWS can never exist though, it's just the dream of a mad sleeping god.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Hey every bit of marketing we can get out there helps. I can't get in touch with anybody in the actual games press so all I've got is networking and whatever guerrilla marketing I can manage to work with.

Also would be nice for the folks at Paradox to know about us should the studio have to close up after the expansion. Maybe I'll toss a resume their way!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Whatever happened with TotalBiscuit anyway? It sounded like he was going to cover SR2 and then didn't. Did he just ended up being too busy?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I believe he said he couldn't figure it out and didn't have the time to invest into learning how to play it. I offered to sort of 'mentor' him but that never got any traction.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Turns out I actually bought SR1 to support you guys but never got around to playing it. Are there any good guides for new players anywhere? the two on steam are worthless and all the ones I've found degenerate into 'edit .xml files because blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh'

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I'd actually suggest rummaging around the old SR boards on blind-mind.com (here)

A lot of people swore by SanderBuruma's approach to the game, and he has a lot of information and useful files/stuff for the player who wants to check out his methodology.
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=5064.0

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm learning the colonization system of SR2 and I think I've got it figured out, but something that is annoying. Sometimes I'll start a planet colonizing, then I'll stop it for whatever reason. If any of the colony ships gets there the planet will be stuck at <1 Billion people and there is no way to start it growing again, that I've seen. Is this just an oversight?

So far it looks like I have to abandon the planet then recolonize, but that seems inelegant. Is there some way to transfer population between planets that I haven't found?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Powercrazy posted:

I'm learning the colonization system of SR2 and I think I've got it figured out, but something that is annoying. Sometimes I'll start a planet colonizing, then I'll stop it for whatever reason. If any of the colony ships gets there the planet will be stuck at <1 Billion people and there is no way to start it growing again, that I've seen. Is this just an oversight?

So far it looks like I have to abandon the planet then recolonize, but that seems inelegant. Is there some way to transfer population between planets that I haven't found?

I think if you have partial colonies you have to abandon them.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Any recommendations for LPs? I'm at the point where my entire galaxy is colonized and I'm not sure where to go next or what to focus on. I feel I'm just kind of combining resources because I can with no real goal or idea of why I'm doing things. I suppose I should fart around on the wiki but I tend to learn better actually watching game mechanics in motion. Things like when/where to place the various orbitals and when/where to buy specific buildings as well as research goals and synergies, deciding how far to push a planets population or where to put certain pressures to gain the most advantage out of them, how to best take advantage of the various asteroid resources, best times to use the various diplomatic cards as well as other things would be nice to see.

A lot of the LPs I've found have been by people new to the game and bumbling around them selves which doesn't do me much good. I've yet to find someone who has uploaded more than one play through and is actually deeply knowledgeable about the game. SR2 seems like a tight and polished package from what I've seen and its biggest problem is the lack of popularity :( It sucks the 4X genre is such a small fraction of the gaming community. There doesn't seem to be much room for more than a company or two to succeed in it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

You can finish colonizing it by selecting a specific planet and right clicking the "half-colonized" planet and selecting "Continue colonizing", its just that the auto-colonizing system doesn't work with that, for some reason.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Looks like we're finally on standby for the announcement! Can't wait to share some info with y'all.

And here we go.

:siren: Our first detailed examination of the x-pack is live!

Also, you can check out it's page on Steam!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 15, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Sweet can't wait for the x-pak.

What do people use for ship designs? I just want some specs that I can kind of build towards. i.e. what are good thrust levels and hyperspace speeds for capital ships compared to smaller ships. Ship design is cool, but I don't have a good sense of reasonable numbers. Obviously I'm going for efficiency with cost being scalable by changing the size of the ships.

I've seen a lot of designs from the community, but many of the designs are based on older patches and aren't valid anymore, plus ships that cost 1billion credits but look like the battlestar gallactica aren't really that great for playing the game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This looks fantastic. The Attitudes feature looks just as innovative as Diplomacy in the base game. SR2 is one of the most innovative strategy games to come out in a long time. Good luck with sales!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks, Ynglaur. Spread the word!

There's a lot still left to reveal and I'm excited about all of it.

quote:

What do people use for ship designs? I just want some specs that I can kind of build towards.
Since I don't normally have the time to actually mathematically break down and analyze my designs, I usually just take a Darwin-style approach to ship design through the game's Designs Sandbox.
The best designs get to live in my folder - the worst get culled. I pit them up against each other as well and see how they'll do in various situations and make note of what ships are meant for what.

It's important to keep in mind the speed of your supports as compared to your flag though. If your flag is too slow, you'll lose a lot of the benefit having fast supports grants unless those supports are meant to go fly off and engage the enemy when you get into combat.
I think the consensus back when we were doing weekly MP sessions was to keep your capital at at least 80% the thrust of the fastest support ship so that the ships can navigate quickly in STL.

That's less or more of a concern depending on your galaxy, your FTL type, and the composition/behaviors of your supports of course.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Wow, and only a week out! Added it to my wishlist despite not ever really getting the hang of ship design (in this game or in any game).

I hope this release goes well for you all, Firgof!

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

SR2 is one of the most innovative strategy games to come out in a long time. Good luck with sales!

This..... a thousand times !
SR2 is really innovative and intriguing. I hope from this xpac sales, you'll be able to give us more games in the future!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It'd take a lot of xpack sales. I'm guessing something like 30-40k; which is presently very improbable to impossible without new people buying the game (something like 90+% of the people who own SR2 would have to buy an x-pack).

We're hoping actually that the expansion back drives sales of the base game - which would take much less units of to keep us afloat. Getting 40k expansion pack sales without introducing a lot of new blood is very optimistic in my eyes.

I'm currently compiling a list of people to contact about the expansion, who I'd be considering sending keys and whatnot to.

If anyone has suggestions on youtubers/streamers/websites that you think would enjoy or would be interested in covering the game, feel free to suggest them.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 16, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Quil18 is a pretty popular youtuber who does a lot of strategy games.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Firgof posted:

It'd take a lot of xpack sales. I'm guessing something like 30-40k; which is presently very improbable to impossible without new people buying the game (something like 90+% of the people who own SR2 would have to buy an x-pack).

We're hoping actually that the expansion back drives sales of the base game - which would take much less units of to keep us afloat. Getting 40k expansion pack sales without introducing a lot of new blood is very optimistic in my eyes.

I'm currently compiling a list of people to contact about the expansion, who I'd be considering sending keys and whatnot to.

If anyone has suggestions on youtubers/streamers/websites that you think would enjoy or would be interested in covering the game, feel free to suggest them.

Got Northernlion on your list?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Powercrazy posted:

Sweet can't wait for the x-pak.

What do people use for ship designs? I just want some specs that I can kind of build towards. i.e. what are good thrust levels and hyperspace speeds for capital ships compared to smaller ships. Ship design is cool, but I don't have a good sense of reasonable numbers. Obviously I'm going for efficiency with cost being scalable by changing the size of the ships.

I've seen a lot of designs from the community, but many of the designs are based on older patches and aren't valid anymore, plus ships that cost 1billion credits but look like the battlestar gallactica aren't really that great for playing the game.

I think ~4.5 acceleration on both support and capital ship feels like a speed that gets around nicely, although it seems like a lot of people prefer slower and heavier ships than that. I like to use engines with bulkheads in them to absorb damage, so having plenty of engine hexes pulls double duty. 150 FTL speed seems fine. I keep armor to the front only and use bulkhead modules to defend the sides and rear. Maybe 10 hexes worth of supplies if you want to capture planets with the ship? You don't need a whole lot of power if you use support stations to do resupplying. Then the rest for support command and weapons.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I was playing a really modded game today as The Empire (Star Wars) vs The Rebels, Cylons, Goa'ld (Stargate), Terrans (Galactica), and Ancients (Stargate) in a huge Spiral galaxy. The nerd who developed the race and shipset for The Empire decided that the Super Star Destroyer Executor, Vader's flagship that crashes into the second Death Star, is 2.7k large. I felt this was hardly large enough and so made one that is 20k large. It took the resource of nearly the entire galaxy in order to make that thing.

Ive got screenshots of it and the huge fleet that follows it around. Ill post some later.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd imagine Scott Manley would be another choice.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ive got screenshots of it and the huge fleet that follows it around. Ill post some later.

:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firgof posted:

I would say perhaps Aavak, he seems to like interesting games, recently has been playing From The Depths and Rimworld, not sure he does a huge number of strategy games but you could ask I'm sure, I don't think he gets a huge amount of press copies.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Firgof posted:

I suggest you to contact Angry Joe, he loves strategy games in space.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Quill, Arumba, SpaceGameJunkie would be my picks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Firgof posted:

Throw it at Stuff+, he's a pretty good guy for promoting cool games.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Knightsoul posted:

I suggest you to contact Angry Joe, he loves strategy games in space.

I'm only briefly familiar with Joe - are you sure that Star Ruler 2, despite being a strategy game in space, is up his alley?
He's so large I'd expect him to be the go-to review if he put one out. I've considered tossing him one before - but I'm still not sure he'd want to invest the time into it.

At least on the surface he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to spend 1-4 hours learning how to play the game before he starts crafting his opinion on it.
Maybe I'm just uninformed on Joe?

Also thanks for everyone who's sending suggestions in; keep 'em coming!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 16, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Just throw them to everyone, regardless of if they seem fitting or not if they're big. Nerd Cubed loves strategy games but seldom features them on the channel, same with Jesse Cox. A guy I'd highly recommend throwing one to is Get Daved, he's a big player of space 4X even though he's quite relatively small.

Joe acts very silly, but he's a big board game player. So long as you point him to a Star Wars, Star Trek or Warhammer mod he'll soldier through anything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I don't know, sending one to Joe seems like a gamble. If he likes it you're getting lots of extra sales but if he doesn't bother getting into it you could potentially eat a lot of bad word of mouth because people following youtubers with "fake" personalities like Joe tend not to realize that they shouldn't take everything they say 100% seriously (see that PewdiePie fiasco a while ago). But then even bad PR might be better than no PR?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It's definitely a calculated risk in my mind, sending one to Joe, yeah. If things keep going as they are though, risks are all that are open to us. We can't have a meek showing if the studio's to survive - it's got to be an epic comeback. For it to even have a chance at being epic, people have to actually hear about the game for once - a lot of people.

So long as I'm getting radio silence from most of the youtubers and media sites I send inquiries to, I'm not left much option but high risk/reward ventures if I really want to get the game out into the public eye again. I'm not bereft of options right now, thankfully, but I'm only cautiously optimistic that I can manage more media response than when SR2 launched.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 16, 2016

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Firgof posted:

I'm only briefly familiar with Joe - are you sure that Star Ruler 2, despite being a strategy game in space, is up his alley?

Absoloutely! Not too long ago ( I think during his Polaris Sector preview) I remember him sayin how much he loves strategy space games so I suggest you to contact him: if he really put up a review of your xpac, I'm sure your sales will skyrocket!.
Also, I previously forgot to suggest you another youtuber, "Worth a Buy?", his name is Mack and he's a crazy british reviewer. He often review even indie games, I think you got good chances with him if you give him a free key of your game.
Good luck anyway, we need more developers like you guys at BMS! :rock:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Throw it at Stuff+, he's a pretty good guy for promoting cool games.

Definitely! Stuff+ is great.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

All of the youtube videos seem to start with "I barely have any idea what I'm doing after a couple of hours of playtime, haven't even touched Research but Diplomacy and Design look interesting; now watch me fumble with colonization/economy for half an hour while reading off notes I copied from the wiki" is unfortunately rather telling.

I'm guessing BMS considered at some point the amount of work it would take to make a slightly dumbed-down version that could be Baby's First Strategy Game because the somewhat overwhelming number of innovative features might have something to do with the lack of media coverage, which is probably hurting sales significantly... but how much more work would it take to split it into beginner/expert interface? Too much to be profitable? Enough to require a kickstarter and re-release?

Breaking new ground is cool and we'll probably be seeing some of these mechanics copied by other 4X games in the next few years (the Influence/cards system would lend itself well to a Crusader Kings Space Opera 'grand strategy' system, for example) but it would suck if doing too many new things at once is what kills the chances of SR3 ever coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I dunno, I thought it was quite intuitive and had a very helpful tutorial compared to most 4x games.

• Locked thread