Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

it took until the 3.5 DMGII for the usual tap Robin D. Laws thing to take place

Huh, I went back and checked, and how about that, Robin Laws was a writer for DMG 2. That's kinda neat as far as how I think very highly of the advice in 4th Ed's DMG 2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huh, I went back and checked, and how about that, Robin Laws was a writer for DMG 2. That's kinda neat as far as how I think very highly of the advice in 4th Ed's DMG 2 as well.

Yep! I remember when I started getting into D&D around 1998-1999, the very tail end of 2e, Robin Laws was doing GM-focused stuff in Dragon. He used that as a springboard to write and publish Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering, which was the book to really bring critical thinking about GMing and how to do it into D&D circles. (It wasn't the first book of GM advice, since I think White Wolf had published that incredibly bad patronizing Storyteller's Guide for Vampire by then, and Gary Gygax's Master of the Game predates both of those.) Robin's Laws really codified and publicized a lot of GMing tools that are common today, like classifying players by type and so on. Robin Laws has made a pretty good reputation since as the GM guru of sorts, and he gets called on for GMing books for projects he doesn't have much to do with otherwise (like Pathfinder and 4e.)

Also don't discount the 4e DMG1, there's some good stuff in there too. I like those player types the most, for example.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

(Snip Wuxia Weapons "cronk")
Things to take away from this:

1). In Five Moons, certain subsets of feats are called "cronks" :wtc:

2). Sean K. Reynolds still can't Monk.

3). People paid him $36k for this.

Wut?

So... if I take this, uh, "cronk" then I have to keep a detailed log of exactly when I wielded each weapon in the past? I mean I could wield a certain sword and then leave it home for safekeeping, but now I'm on a 125-day timer and will need to keep track of when I can no longer recall it? Are you loving serious? Are we back to Gygax's "YOU CANNOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT" territory?

Also, speaking as a bit of a purist who worked on several wuxia RPGs: the word "wuxia" doesn't refer to types of weapons. It's a type of genre. You might as well call a perfectly ordinary revolver a "spaghetti western weapon" or a typical arming sword a "Tokien fantasy weapon". See how dumb that sounds?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Look, it's a Chinese word, therefore it means monks.

Never mind that monks are a specific subset of martial heroes of wuxia material rather than a generic term for martial artists, that almost literally every wuxia hero is able to fight unarmed with great skill, generally in addition to using their favored weapon, or that the only effect this feat cronk has is let you refluff your weapon as your fists, because all it does is treat you as if you are using the weapon rather than your firsts, or that this produces the bizarre idea of martial artists carefully collecting an arsenal of weapons to bury in a deep pit so they can wield those weapons without actually physically wielding those weapons or that it sounds like the name of a supporting cast thing on Fraggle Rock...

E: Frankly the only use I can see for this is as a cost-saving measure whereby you can duplicate one weapon the party has found. I mean, it cancels when an enemy gets the weapon but nothing says you can't attune your fists to the sword and then hand it over to your buddy who actually uses swords. Now you effectively have two swords for the price of one! And a cronk.

heeheehee cronk

crooooooonk

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 15, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the big hang-ups of "a dude whose hands are registered deadly weapons" is the idea that the GM can no longer pull off a scenario where the party is disarmed, so designers often put all sorts of convoluted restrictions on them as "balancing payback"

It seems like the thought process behind that thing was:

1. Instead of a complicated bunch of rules on how to make Unarmed Attacks into weapons, and running into problems like having to buy an Amulet of Unarmed Attacks +1 (3rd Edition/PF) or a lot of errata (5th Edition), I'm just going to let the Monk superimpose a previously-held weapon's stats into their fists.

2. But if I do that, the Monk might be able to wield too many weapons pseudo-instantaneously by just changing which one was superimposed onto their fists.

3. Therefore, I'm going to place limits on how many weapons can be "retained", and the "time since last held" is going to work as the limiting factor, with higher levels letting you amass a larger and larger "ether arsenal" stored in memory

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've never understood that as a major benefit. It's like, oh no, you can never be disarmed! ...how often does disarming even come up? Why not just let the martial artist shine in that rare, rare moment where everyone is thrown in prison and has their poo poo taken away? It's not like it matters much any other time - disarming in combat lasts almost no time at all anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You're right, but Monks often end up being bad so often because they're often composed of a laundry list of "special abilities" that make you feel like they should be penalized for having them, and then the designer never playtesting them enough to realize the practical implications of those changes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's your typical punishment obsessed gaming outlook. After all, if daddy the GM can't take away your toys at the drop of a hat, then how is he going to get any respect around here? :reject:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It has long been an issue with this entire hobby that "I can fight without a weapon" is grossly overvalued. I think it's a mix of a few things. You have your "BUT REALISM" hitting in there, demanding non-unarmed weapons always be better. You have your "But then they can't be disarmed, that has to be worth a lot!" stepping in with it's misunderstanding of balance. You have some people who just flat out hate the idea of an unarmed fighter being in the game period. Honestly, at the end of the day, the real root of the problem is that unarmed fighting is treated as eternally a backup option for everyone, when in reality it should be treated as a weapon - same as any other weapon. People just don't think about unarmed fighting as a mechanical option, and it suffers because of it.

As for Cook, he is in desperate need of a partner or partners to carry the mechanical weight of his ideas - and who can turn down his mechanical ideas if they don't fit. Unfortunately, because of how the industry goes and his vague celebrity status, that is likely never going to happen.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty sure a monk can be disarmed.

:razz:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Has he actually provided any tangible proof to his backers that he's any closer to being done then when the KS ended so many years ago? Like a pre-printer draft, or an art free rules test, or hell even a quick start demo or something?
He released the first nine or so chapters.

It's a d20 game with Fate's aspects bolted on.

It's taken him almost five years to write a d20 game. Figure that poo poo out.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're right, but Monks often end up being bad so often because they're often composed of a laundry list of "special abilities" that make you feel like they should be penalized for having them, and then the designer never playtesting them enough to realize the practical implications of those changes.

To add to the list of problems I just mentioned above, monks suffer very strongly from, you guessed it, not being examined mechanically. Take the 3.x monk. Lots of vaguely flavorful abilities, right? But there's no synergy between any of them. Monks get super big movement speed, and can only flurry when they full attack - aka when they don't use their movement speed. They have immunity to all mundane diseases and poisons, but already have good fortitude saves. They can speak to any living creature, and have little to no charisma. They get a shittier version of feather fall with way more restrictions. They get immunity to non-magical damage at a level where nothing is non-magical anymore. They can heal themselves, but for so little it's not even worth remembering.

All those abilities were made because the devs thought they sounded cool and then proceeded to put absolutely no thought whatsoever in how they'd work, much less how they might work together. Nobody considered the actual, you know, game.

It's the same thing that's kinda always plagued tabletop games - actual designers and mechanical thinkers get the gently caress out of the hobby when they can. It's an industry populated entirely by Idea Guys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rand Brittain posted:

I have to admit I don't actually give everybody a hire a "Nazi Y/N?" background check.
Well, if you're hiring a chocolate teapot maker, and the only reason you're interviewing a guy is that he has an influential chocolate teapot blog, and he goes on about how "pseudo activists," Cultural Marxists, and Jewish physics are corrupting the chocolate teapot industry, presumably you would notice.

Kai Tave posted:

But the development parade of Next, from the meaningless puff piece "does this feel like D&D?" questionnaires to the steady rollback of anything that might give Fighters fun toys over successive iterations to promises they obviously were never going to keep right on up to bringing Tarnowski and Zak S on as credited consultants to court the internet shithead demographic, that all pretty much cemented for me that Mearls isn't just some poor guy struggling under the weight of the crown but actually bad at his job and lazy and maybe kind of an rear end in a top hat himself.
The thing is, whenever it's pointed out that Mearls design seems to be the result of laziness, pandering, incompetence, or just writing to suit his own selfish preferences, the only defense appears to be "No, that CAN'T be possible because a company of WotC's stature doesn't operate that way. Because companies above a certain size never make bad decisions or hire bad people. At some point people will have to bow to the evidence that he's a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Kai Tave posted:

One of the most telling Mike Mearls moments I remember was some Rule of Three column where someone basically asked "Hey, the original 4E Assassin class has some mechanical issues, how 'bout that?" and Mearls' response was basically "yeah, we're aware of the issue, I guess you could Ask Your GM™ to houserule it like so," and all I could think at the time was hey Mike, you know you're literally the guy in charge of D&D right? If you know it's broken then how about you fuckin fix it? What do you need, permission? It's an entirely digital class too!
One of the most disappointing things about D&D 4 is that they had a perfect platform to fix badly balanced stuff but often failed to do so. Seeker is underpowered? Errata it, publish better class features and powers in Dragon, then put them in the character builder. Nope, instead we'll publish more garbage feats.

Arivia posted:

Hey, come on. I don't hold SKR as being that great a designer. However, considering a common problem with a lot of RPGs is the lack of (or lip-service only) playtesting, taking some time isn't a bad thing if he's spending it right.
Hey, if SKR is learning how not to be another D20 shoveling poopsmith, good for him. He should gently caress away off for awhile and read some good games, and play those games, and maybe write an unpublished D&D heartbreaker to get some things out of his system, and then come back and call himself a professional game designer.

quote:

So, yeah, Cook is a good designer - for writing settings, and supplements. Numenera is a great setting, and a terrible rules system, and that's a problem, but not an indictment of him. Not all designers are good at the same things, and that's fine.
As a Vance fanatic, Numenera came off to me as someone reading the Dying Earth series and really not getting it. For example, a scene wherein Cugel picks up a mysterious ancient artifact and threatens to zap someone with it...is he holding a magic wand? A raygun? It doesn't matter; the Dying Earth sits atop the wreckage literally hundreds of advanced civilizations, it's the same thing. But in Numenera that idea collides with the geek's obsessive need to define and catalogue and rationalize every goddamn thing, so everything is explained with radiation and MY VERISIMIDICHLORIANS :gonk:

ProfessorCirno posted:

It has long been an issue with this entire hobby that "I can fight without a weapon" is grossly overvalued. I think it's a mix of a few things. You have your "BUT REALISM" hitting in there, demanding non-unarmed weapons always be better. You have your "But then they can't be disarmed, that has to be worth a lot!" stepping in with it's misunderstanding of balance.
It's very game dependent, and this is one of the places we run into the problem of D&D being a radically different game to different groups. In an Unknown Armies game, an invisible lethal weapon that can't be taken is a huge advantage, hence the value of blasts. It's less important in Shadowrun, where weapon concealability is important in most games, but not always. In many D&D games it will never ever matter. Likewise the ranger's ability to sleep in his armour.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I just love that SKR probably doesn't like Monks, but feels compelled to put them into his game and put arbitrary restrictions on them because D&D has monks and therefore he must have Monks. Or so no third party can put out non-punished monks for the system.

Then again, given that apparently grogs thought 4e was an abomination for not having Gnomes in core, he might have a marketing point here. (Never got that in the slightest- Gnomes are easily the least popular standard D&D race by far from personal experience.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is now old news, but does the deal with WotC to publish their material under their stewardship include things like classes? Because if that's the case, one could theoretically publish something like "Fighter But Actually Good", right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah someone could publish that, and since it doesn't need to reference FR in any way you can do so under the free license.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kai Tave posted:

Things to take away from this:

1). In Five Moons, certain subsets of feats are called "cronks" :wtc:

Sean, I use repeated use of "crunk" to hide lovely game design: don't steal my word! I will fight you for it. :black101:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The important thing here is that SKR has decided to call one category of special abilities in his presumably upcoming game cronks. There are spells, there are stunts, and then there are cronks.

Cronks.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

The important thing here is that SKR has decided to call one category of special abilities in his presumably upcoming game cronks. There are spells, there are stunts, and then there are cronks.

Cronks.

Also note that spells, stunts, and cronks are all bundled together as Feats:

SKR posted:

I posted Update #38 to the Kickstarter page, which includes part of the intro to the Feats chapter explaining how you select which feats (cronks, spells, or stunts) you want to be able to use each day.

If he was just going to call them Feats, why not just do that from the beginning? :iiam:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gourdcaptain posted:

Then again, given that apparently grogs thought 4e was an abomination for not having Gnomes in core, he might have a marketing point here. (Never got that in the slightest- Gnomes are easily the least popular standard D&D race by far from personal experience.)
I have very good taste and gnome illusionist was my favorite 4e class so :mad:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Croooooooooooooooooonk.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
If I had to guess, "cronk" probably fills the role of "placeholder term I know will not be used elsewhere in the text, therefore making it easy to find/replace with a real term later."

That's still a prety silly cronk, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is now old news, but does the deal with WotC to publish their material under their stewardship include things like classes? Because if that's the case, one could theoretically publish something like "Fighter But Actually Good", right?

I'm actually amazed I haven't seen any "fighter, but not lovely" classes for 3e or 5e. I mean, I haven't really gone looking, but I would think I'd at least heard of one in passing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm actually amazed I haven't seen any "fighter, but not lovely" classes for 3e or 5e. I mean, I haven't really gone looking, but I would think I'd at least heard of one in passing.

There isn't much of a market for one as most people who play 5e think fighters deserve being lovely for being a jock. For 3e, warblade is the official fighter replacement.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

There are dozens of them for 3.X, although I don't know how many people bothered actually publishing them instead of just posting them on various message boards as homebrew.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

gourdcaptain posted:

I just love that SKR probably doesn't like Monks, but feels compelled to put them into his game and put arbitrary restrictions on them because D&D has monks and therefore he must have Monks. Or so no third party can put out non-punished monks for the system.

Odd, I know people who love gnomes. They fit the semi-magic prankster archetype without being overly hebraic. You CAN code them as Jews but it's not as clear as Dwarves = Scottish.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, there's a lot of ownership stuff happening this week.

Jeff Dee and Jack Herman, the creators of the first ever superhero RPG Villains & Vigilantes, just won a four-and-a-half-year-long legal battle to regain the legal ownership of the line.

http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3749/villains-vigilantes-creators-win

quote:

On July 27, 2011, Dee and Herman sued Bizar, the publisher of Fantasy Games Unlimited, for copyright infringement, asserting that his contractual right to publish their game had expired many years earlier and he kept this fact from them. The lawsuit began in Florida, moved to Arizona and ultimately reached the U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit. I covered the case in detail in two posts on this blog:

Dee and Herman signed a 1979 contract with Bizar that gave them the game's copyright and him the trademark. After Bizar stopped being a full-time game publisher in 1987, Dee and Herman tried for years to reach a deal to publish the game under the trademark, to no avail. Then in 2010, a fan of the game who is also an attorney discovered that Bizar had dissolved Fantasy Games Unlimited Inc. in 1991.

Under the contract, this reverted all rights to Dee and Herman, so they published the game as the newly formed Monkey House Games. Bizar disputed their right to do this, and thus began the titanic battle of the lawyers.

Dee and Herman prevailed in court when an Arizona judge ruled in 2013 that Bizar lost all of his rights to the game by selling zero copies of it from 1990 to 1994. The judge also ruled that Bizar never had rights to publish electronic editions or derivative works, two things he's been doing the past six years on the Fantasy Games Unlimited website.

They've already got V&V up on DriveThru and Lulu.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

This isn't really in doubt, no. Heinsoo fought a long and hard battle to keep Wizards from being an invincible god-king class among several other things and he basically got harassed out of the company due to it.

Is there any more info about how Heinsoo got cut? I assumed it was typical indiscriminate Hasbro cutting, 4e's critics like to point to his firing as a sign that it was already in trouble before Essentials, and he himself- has been smart and diplomatic and focused on his present gig and I'm not about to badger a guy with "So, how did you get screwed over at your last job?"

Like I do sometimes feel like he got stabbed in the back in order to make way for what Mearls and Co. wanted D&D to be, but that also feels like wishful thinking on my part, like "no, 4e would totally have been regarded as a massive commercial success if not for office politics".

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Odd, I know people who love gnomes. They fit the semi-magic prankster archetype without being overly hebraic. You CAN code them as Jews but it's not as clear as Dwarves = Scottish.

Fair enough. The first game I've ever been in for any length of time (over seven years of playing D&D and derivatives off and on) where Gnomes really came up is an Eberon D&D 4e game that started last month where we're playing students at a mercenary school in Zilargo, the gnome country. And even then, none of the players picked gnomes. (We've got two Half Elves, a human, and a Kalashtar.)

Although last session did involved a PC getting briefly detained by the Gnome Secret Police for being a suspicious looking foreigner wearing a straw hat unseasonably after in-universe Labor Day equivalent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is there any more info about how Heinsoo got cut?

We know that there was at least a little friction on the "don't make wizards the objectively best class" front, so I imagine there's probably a lot more unreported instances of him not seeing eye-to-eye with bad design decisions.

Then when it's time to make cuts, he was the squeaky wheel.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slimnoid posted:

Really, the reason he's a raging shitlord is because without it he's nothing.
I forgot why I was told this was not likely, but why is it again that he cannot just be making up his entire life story? I mean, if you tell me there is "a sophisticated Uruguyan who details which cigars and tobacco varietals he is smoking while endlessly posting screeds against progressive values" I am going to assume, no matter how many times someone tells me otherwise, that this is a bored IT helpdesk guy in New Hampshire faking his IP address and wishing his life were half as interesting as he pretends it is.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jeff Dee and Jack Herman, the creators of the first ever superhero RPG Villains & Vigilantes, just won a four-and-a-half-year-long legal battle to regain the legal ownership of the line.

That is awesome; playing in a Villains & Vigilantes campaign is one of my least-fond gaming memories ever, BUT I can recognize a feel-good success story at defeating an awful person when I see one!

Also add me to the list of people who loved Gnomes. The idea of a tiny necromancer always appealed to me, but Dwarves have too much stereotypical baggage to run with. Basically Gnomes served the purpose of letting you be sort of like a Dwarf or Kender without dealing with what people assumed you would be doing with the character. Maybe. Something like that.

Though I am still laughing out loud at "they all do that" in the Zogonia comic.

gourdcaptain posted:

Although last session did involved a PC getting briefly detained by the Gnome Secret Police for being a suspicious looking foreigner wearing a straw hat unseasonably after in-universe Labor Day equivalent.
I would like to join your gaming group.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For years I saw people suggesting quite earnestly that the whole RPGPundit thing must all be some persona that the guy behind the keyboard was adopting, that it was all just some schtick to drum up pageviews. I think by this point it's pretty clear that whatever the actual details of his existence may be, the RPGPundit is a genuine rear end in a top hat.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

moths posted:

We know that there was at least a little friction on the "don't make wizards the objectively best class" front, so I imagine there's probably a lot more unreported instances of him not seeing eye-to-eye with bad design decisions.

Then when it's time to make cuts, he was the squeaky wheel.
As far as I can tell it was pretty much this yeah. The particulars aren't entirely public for obvious reasons though, so there's not much to ponder beyond the fact he felt differently about design than the remaining D&D developers.

Kai Tave posted:

For years I saw people suggesting quite earnestly that the whole RPGPundit thing must all be some persona that the guy behind the keyboard was adopting, that it was all just some schtick to drum up pageviews. I think by this point it's pretty clear that whatever the actual details of his existence may be, the RPGPundit is a genuine rear end in a top hat.
:agreed:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The whole Scott Bizar/FGU thing is just weird ongoing saga of a dude keeping a game company barely running entirely out of spite.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I unabashedly love V&V (Ever since the insanity that was first edition) and Jeff is a cool dude while Bizar is a slime so this is wonderful news to hear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The whole Scott Bizar/FGU thing is just weird ongoing saga of a dude keeping a game company barely running entirely out of spite.

It really is. I really do love FGU games even though they have some of the most broken groggy mechanics with proofreading performed by blind manatees, but they were all cool concepts with fantastic art (Check out Psi-World or Flashing Blades sometime) and actually tended to have a lot of support. However the contracts that Bizar made with his designers were loving draconian and even though he wasn't making any money with the products, he made sure that nobody else could either.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 16, 2016

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I forgot why I was told this was not likely, but why is it again that he cannot just be making up his entire life story? I mean, if you tell me there is "a sophisticated Uruguyan who details which cigars and tobacco varietals he is smoking while endlessly posting screeds against progressive values" I am going to assume, no matter how many times someone tells me otherwise, that this is a bored IT helpdesk guy in New Hampshire faking his IP address and wishing his life were half as interesting as he pretends it is.

He's a guy who seems to believe that a conspiracy of Maoist-Gynocrats are coming for his games AND that he can do real spells. Living in Uruguay and smoking mid priced pipe tobacco are the most believable parts of this story.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Posthuman Studios posted an article about Eclipse Phase sales rankings on DrivethruRPG http://eclipsephase.com/look-eclipse-phase-and-drivethrurpgs-metal-list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

To add to the list of problems I just mentioned above, monks suffer very strongly from, you guessed it, not being examined mechanically. Take the 3.x monk. Lots of vaguely flavorful abilities, right? But there's no synergy between any of them. Monks get super big movement speed, and can only flurry when they full attack - aka when they don't use their movement speed. They have immunity to all mundane diseases and poisons, but already have good fortitude saves. They can speak to any living creature, and have little to no charisma. They get a shittier version of feather fall with way more restrictions. They get immunity to non-magical damage at a level where nothing is non-magical anymore. They can heal themselves, but for so little it's not even worth remembering.

All those abilities were made because the devs thought they sounded cool and then proceeded to put absolutely no thought whatsoever in how they'd work, much less how they might work together. Nobody considered the actual, you know, game.

It's the same thing that's kinda always plagued tabletop games - actual designers and mechanical thinkers get the gently caress out of the hobby when they can. It's an industry populated entirely by Idea Guys.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Monks were actually designed relatively carefully by E. Gary Gygax in 1e. If you take the 1e Monk and compare it to the 1e Thief then you'll notice that Monks are basically Thieves with a fresh coat of paint. Thieves get thief skills? So do monks - and IIRC as a level higher but with a worse XP track. Thieves get backstab? Monks get flurry. Thieves get d6 as their hit dice? Monks first get an extra d4 - then a little self healing and it comes out in the wash. Thieves get magic armour? Monks can't wear armour so they get an AC bonus. And then there's some weird stuff like the abilty to fake your own death that very seldom comes up.

In short 1e monks are 1e thieves with a fresh coat of paint and a little bling in exchang for a slightly worse XP track. And 1e monks are terrible because they are 1e thieves and 1e thieves are terrible. (Those absurd high level abilities? Were over the soft-level-cap at level 9 or 10 and were just Gygax playing around).

The 3.0 monk on the other hand is almost a direct port of the 1e monk by people who didn't understand what the 1e monk was - they basically just copied the level and ability list. A 1e monk can sub in for a party as a thief (although both of them are terrible). There's no way a 3.0 monk can sub in for a rogue. It's more cargo-cult design. "We want the Monk and it has the abilities of X at level Y because that's what Gygax gave it".

• Locked thread