Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Why are those things bad?

They're not, it's just that the sword is terrible in spite of these awesome qualities. Looking cool and having frostbite attached doesn't make up for the fact that it hits like a pillow, and it can't even be buffed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Alabaster White posted:

They're not, it's just that the sword is terrible in spite of these awesome qualities. Looking cool and having frostbite attached doesn't make up for the fact that it hits like a pillow, and it can't even be buffed...

I felt like it did pretty good damage- maybe I just need to upgrade some other sword and do even more, I am just having a most vexing drought of titanite shards

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm a dumb idiot that didn't see the sword and chipped away at him for 20-25 minutes with a Great Machete and eventually won - so it's definitely possible (but completely pointless)

I'd say it's also got the hardest boss in the game, it gave me way more trouble than the final boss/Pontiff etc

I found him harder but the last boss is some ol bullshit with tracking and nowhere near as epic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Did some exploring in Irithyl yesterday, and drat, the enemies in the sewers, ewww. Creepiest enemies so far for sure. Also, the loving fire-spewing priests or whatever are dickheads, and the knights fragile but hit like an agile truck gimmick is quite intimidating.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

Speaking of this, do the other Frostbite weapons suffer from the same problem? There are some really cool weapons (like Vordt's hammer) but I'm worried that they all suck. Weapons with added effects (poison, bleed) have traditionally been pretty lovely due to "balancing" I suppose, and Frostbite is a terrible effect. :(

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Feel like I'm missing something with pyromancy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gortarius posted:

Toughest enemy in the game? Dogs.

Haha nope. Hit them with your torch. Problem solved.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That person that did the bingo card is good. Linky

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've decided that trying to be a hybrid Pyromancer was holding me back and that I should go YOLO mode fire magic. How much will this hurt me?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gortarius posted:

questions about rings:

Is there a Ring of the Living (one that makes you look normal as a phantom) and what does the Horsehoof ring do? Is it like a comical knockback kick or what?

This is from 4 pages back but the horsehoof ring lets you break the guard of greatshields and it works on npc's too like the lance knight assholes.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i talked to some guy in cage who said he would make me a pyromancer then he disappeared and nothing happened.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

ghostter posted:

i talked to some guy in cage who said he would make me a pyromancer then he disappeared and nothing happened.

check your rad hub, all the mans you collect that disappear will show up there

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

check your rad hub, all the mans you collect that disappear will show up there

whats my rat hub

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

ghostter posted:

whats my rat hub

firelink shrine, friendo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Specifically, Cornyx hangs out next to the stairs over by where Andre is. He blends in with the wall so I walked past him a million times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm completely lost in Irithyll Dungeon. I killed the giant and found Siegward through the window, but the shortcut takes me right back to the bonfire and I haven't found another way forward.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm completely lost in Irithyll Dungeon. I killed the giant and found Siegward through the window, but the shortcut takes me right back to the bonfire and I haven't found another way forward.

Go through the area at the very bottom with the 10 jailers.

Also separate question. Is there a ring that can disguise a phantom as a host? Because sometimes when I invade I see 2 hosts of embers and they don't have a phantom glow.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
where do I first encounter our old friend and trickster Patches?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

You need to go through the big bottom-center hallway (the one with lots of those masked/robed figures circling around) to get to the next area. Have you found the elevator yet? The bottom of the elevator is right by where you need to go.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The terribly translated patch notes mention something about a "performance adjustment" to the Greatsword. I fear my murder-machine may have had all the titanite used upon it wasted. Anyone know if this will be a good/bad thing? :ohdear:

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Am I alone in seeing the abbreviation "FP" and immediately thinking of Flower Points from Paper Mario? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Also, game is good, etc. etc., but hot drat did they ramp up the difficulty in Lothric Castle. Even the dagger wielding mooks are doing a shitload of damage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chalk me up as another person who didn't use the Storm Ruler properly and was getting very frustrated until I figured it out. That was quite fun :allears:

On an unrelated note:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anri questline:
WHAT DID I JUST DO! :stare:
WHY DID I DO THAT!!! :gonk:

Yeah, that was.... I'm a monster.... :gonk:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't even know what Storm Ruler does, that fight became way too easy with Siegward's help. I get what they were going for but kinda feel like I got cheated out of a bossfight, just letting you summon some help would have been enough. Makes me regret looking up how to get him out of the well.

Guess I'll get to learn that boss in NG+ :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Elman posted:

I don't even know what Storm Ruler does, that fight became way too easy with Siegward's help. I get what they were going for but kinda feel like I got cheated out of a bossfight, just letting you summon some help would have been enough. Makes me regret looking up how to get him out of the well.

You got the gist of it already, because the storm ruler on the throne is always there, and you're meant to use it, because phyiscal attacks do around 50-80 damage to him no matter what. There's almost no way to win without using it. I suppose you could bruteforce it but it'd be a real war of attrition, that's for sure.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Toriori posted:

where do I first encounter our old friend and trickster Patches?

So I met him after buying the 20k key and while I was on my way back down the tower.
On my second play through it didn't happen and I'm not sure if it's cos I did it immediately before Vordt. Might have been too early?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shoehead posted:

So I met him after buying the 20k key and while I was on my way back down the tower.
On my second play through it didn't happen and I'm not sure if it's cos I did it immediately before Vordt. Might have been too early?

Nah I didn't go up there till after that and nothing happened, but I went back today while just messing about and it happened.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i cant find my rat hub . wtf

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Holy poo poo at these :rock: pyromancers :rock: in the Smouldering Lake, I have found kings of metal.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Is there a wiki or something I could read or watch that tells you the lore of the previous games? I'm wanting to pick up the game but seems pointless if I don't know what any of it means.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Elman posted:

He's using one. When he shoots that big blast? That's Storm Ruler's weapon skill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am going to try to do every NPC questline in one playthrough. On a scale of 1 to 10, how nuts am I? I think it's possible with some very specific running around, but I really have no idea.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I hosed that tree up.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Sirris will get pissed and break the quest if you join the Fingers, yes. I've heard that she might not notice if you just join it but don't offer any tongues or equip the badge, but that's just rumors. It's best to wait until later if you really want to do her questline.
This happened to me actually. I first spoke to Sirris without being in the Fingers covenant, which made her leave the Firelink Shrine. Afterwards I joined the FIngers but didn't offer them any tongues, and then (much later) I helped her out at the bridge. She thanked me for it and didn't seem angry with me at all, even when she returned to Firelink.

Edit: Never mind. She became an adversary later on, even though she gave me a blessed mail breaker. It might've been one of my respecs that triggered it, but I'm not sure.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 16, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So you seasoned folk who are already on NG+ and beyond. Any suggestions of must-do things before I make the jump?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

codo27 posted:

So you seasoned folk who are already on NG+ and beyond. Any suggestions of must-do things before I make the jump?

Talk to andre after you beat the last boss he gives you an item that opens up a questline

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm really struggling with the Abyss Watchers. Any tips or strategies?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat the raggedly cloak over armour looks cool, especially when you're kindled.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm fairy certain that I just invaded someone in china, even though I have cross-region play turned off :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just beat Watchers and man did that feel good. Boss encounters in this game have been great fun (In that I genuinely want to beat them, not dread facing them because of bullshit: See Ruin Sentinel/Gargoyles in DS2).

I want to join a covenant but the prospect of doing thus fills me with anxiety. I could be a sunbro, but what if I die in a bossfight and let everyone down?! I could be a bluecop, but what if I die on my arse and let my charge be murdered? Watchers seems like a good one but I dunno whether I should hold out until I come across something better.