Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Pip pip pip posted:

Today is Ozzy's birdiversaey! :toot: We brought the little stinker home exactly 7 years ago today.

Baby Ozzy

Awww that's great :toot: Congrats Ozzy

Also, someone engineer permanently-juvenile parrots somehow, because baby conure eyes are just loving ridiculous and I want like 5 baby conures to just be cute in my presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Big baby birdie eyes are the best :)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

GoldStandardConure posted:

I love that he has a tray of money as a toy.

Watch the first 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0o9FcAoY8

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No matter how many times I see Max, it always makes me just grin to see such a happy, spoiled cockatoo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hey Ama, somebody brought fruit platters into work so I brought some home for you!

What's that? You want absolutely nothing to do with an assortment of freshly diced fruit I brought you all the way from the clinic? You just want another piece of dried papaya and for all of these delicious strawberries and kiwis to go uneaten?

Of course you do.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Birds.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I clipped a paper bag on one of the trays at the bottom of Inko's cage so he could sleep in it/fight it/rip it up/be forced to sleep on the shelf perch/idk and I just lifted the cover to see where he was and apparently he was sleeping underneath it

Pip pip pip posted:

Today is Ozzy's birdiversaey! :toot: We brought the little stinker home exactly 7 years ago today.

Baby Ozzy

Selfie with birb last weekend

:3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Kiwi just bit me hard enough on the cheek to draw blood, for the first time ever. I'm so upset by this because normally she's so good. For some reason, she gets super freaked out when I drink from things and yeah, she just went for it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The boodge

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Shirec posted:

Kiwi just bit me hard enough on the cheek to draw blood, for the first time ever.

The first week I had him, Jabari tore open my lip to the point that I needed stitches. Kiwi didn't do it because she hates you! She was just afraid (probably FOR you) and didn't know a better way to show it.

https://youtu.be/-fZaDmgQJF4

Exclusive Zoe content.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi is already super excited, babbling in a sort of birble way that sounds a little like he's trying to learn, and today he really dug into his vegetables, and for the first time, played a ton with the toys in the front of his cage. He even whistled for a bit with the ending credits of the movie we were watching.

He still really doesn't want to come out of his cage, though, and when we put him on the stand in front of the TV, he fluttered into our board game shelf (not fast enough to hurt himself), and then hid until he realized I was trying to help him get back up. We'll get him there.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Official Bizness posted:

The first week I had him, Jabari tore open my lip to the point that I needed stitches. Kiwi didn't do it because she hates you! She was just afraid (probably FOR you) and didn't know a better way to show it.

https://youtu.be/-fZaDmgQJF4

Exclusive Zoe content.

Wondering if conures too have accents of a sort since Inko's complaining doesn't quite sound like Zoe's complaining. She's :3: incarnate, like all the other cuddle-birds

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

best part of spring: Connie's person starts travelling more again so I get to birdsit more!

also birbthread gooms, cross your fingers (assuming they haven't become cockatoo fodder, of course) for me, this might be the season I get ahead enough on
RESPONSIBLE ADULT THINGS to let me justify bringing home a birdfriend. (knock on wood)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Wondering if conures too have accents of a sort since Inko's complaining doesn't quite sound like Zoe's complaining. She's :3: incarnate, like all the other cuddle-birds

Oh conures totally have unique voices. None of the thread birds or youtube GCCs sound quite like Ama when he talks, even with the same phrases. I could definitely pick him out from other birds by voice alone. Here's a recent-ish video of him saying BABY, REALLY, REALLY, BIRD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xZPbWvTqo

the double reallys are probably because he was tired of me baby talking at him with a camera.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wandy was sick with a sinus infection and seems to have recovered. All I can say is that if one of your birds looks like it has been crying, you have a problem.

The vet thinks Wandy could be way older than 14, but there is no way to tell. The owner that had her before me had her for seven years and I've had her for right about...seven years myself. No way to know if she was a baby when the previous owner got her.

Funny bird story - I used to have a job traveling America for a living and one of my routines was to visit bird shops in cities that had them. I went to a place in Florida that had a four by two row of Macaw cages in the back. I walked over to them and immediately was greeted by a chorus of little, "Hello, hello, hello, hello"'s from the birds until it got to the macaw in the bottom right cage. This bird fiercely meowed at me. I interacted with the birds for a while and started to walk away. On cue, I heard a bunch of, "Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye"s from the different birds until it got to the meowing macaw. This bird decided to frantically shout, "HELLO!" and rush to the front of the cage.

Clearly, this was the special macaw of the bunch.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh conures totally have unique voices. None of the thread birds or youtube GCCs sound quite like Ama when he talks, even with the same phrases. I could definitely pick him out from other birds by voice alone. Here's a recent-ish video of him saying BABY, REALLY, REALLY, BIRD.

the double reallys are probably because he was tired of me baby talking at him with a camera.
I love his clicky little robot voice :kimchi:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Cassowary's surprise visit spooks Australian family

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36034774

Dreggon are these people related to you?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

Cassowary's surprise visit spooks Australian family

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36034774

Dreggon are these people related to you?

QLD: not even once

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://i.imgur.com/QMs7VCB.webm

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The voices I can see, since they're mimicking different people, but it's interesting to hear how different the natural GCC sounds can be too!

I wanted to link to Inko saying REALLY and HEY BABY etc for comparison but I cannot recover the account used for Youtube :saddowns:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Look at how angry this little ball of fluff is

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Covered up the birds, let Ohtori stay up a bit, and he's just sat quietly on my shoulder cuddled into my neck. :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's beautiful today so Ama and I watched the wild birds for a bit from the other side of the screen door. He was super into it and kept yelling WHATREYOUDOING whenever one flicked past :3: Occasionally he'd spot something scarier and shove himself into my neck/under my chin and say BABY, BABY nervously until it was safe to look again. After a little while a couple house finches flew over to see what was up and we all stared at each other for a little bit until they left again. It was pretty awesome :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's beautiful today so Ama and I watched the wild birds for a bit from the other side of the screen door. He was super into it and kept yelling WHATREYOUDOING whenever one flicked past :3: Occasionally he'd spot something scarier and shove himself into my neck/under my chin and say BABY, BABY nervously until it was safe to look again. After a little while a couple house finches flew over to see what was up and we all stared at each other for a little bit until they left again. It was pretty awesome :3:

I can't bear how adorable Ama is. He always sounds like the sweetest conure that has ever lived. :kimchi:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Shirec posted:

I can't bear how adorable Ama is. He always sounds like the sweetest conure that has ever lived. :kimchi:

I am hoping so much that our baby No-Name conure will be as awesome as the conures on this thread. I swear, all these stories make me just smile and laugh so much! Just the stories of Ama , for instance, and his little voice yelling WHATAREYOUDOING over and over at the birds cracks me up. And Othori sounds like a cuddlemonster at times...too cute :) Inko!!! LOL Inko has always made me laugh with the stories I have heard about him here.

I wonder, if when our baby gets here, if I go to the beginning of the thread and read to him/her all about the awesome conures and other birds on this thread....maybe they might realize that the birds in this thread are suitable role models! Worth a try, perhaps :)

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 16, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I heart him bunches and I'm glad other people enjoy my dumb Ama stories too :buddy:

e: here is some of his goofy happy body language from earlier.

listening to wild birds:

curious stretch:

excited stretch!!!

happy floof.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 16, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ideas for names for a pair of cockatiels requested please! Nothing happening for certain (yet), but I can dream. Names don't need to be related to one another.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

VioletCorsica posted:

Ideas for names for a pair of cockatiels requested please! Nothing happening for certain (yet), but I can dream. Names don't need to be related to one another.

Frodo and Sam.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Falstaff and Grumio :D

In other news I found a lens that will work, Sigma f/2.8 60mm MFT has a minimum focusing distance of 50cm and the lens is small enough so it can shoot though the bars.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Disco Salmon posted:

And Othori sounds like a cuddlemonster at times...too cute :) Inko!!! LOL Inko has always made me laugh with the stories I have heard about him here.

Ohtori isn't actually that cuddly, which is why it's so great when he does decide to sit still against your neck for a bit. He accepts affection, scritches, hugs, etc and tolerates us doing basically anything to him but he's too full of life and fury and curiosity to spend his time cuddling with people of his own accord. You have to pick him up, tuck him against your chest, and start petting him and he'll just go along with it. Or I'll pick him up and smash my dumb goony face into him and he'll be all "yeah okay" and wait it out.

Steve doesn't want that much to do with me lately (yet another molt making him grumpy) but when he's happy he's honestly much more "cuddly", in that he'll come and put his head down and demand petting and will be happy to sit with you. Cockatiels don't seem to have this trait highlighted enough, they (in comparison to other parrots) are pretty dumb but very sweet and loving.

VioletCorsica posted:

--Wedges and Chips (or Fries if you must), or Wedge/Chip/Fry

-Russet and Kennebec http://www.thekitchn.com/potato-varieties-64061
-Hell any two from here http://potatoassociation.org/industry/varieties#variety

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
From now on Thor is going to be known as King Edward Thorstaff or Thor to his friends.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Ren and Stimpy

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

VioletCorsica posted:

Biscuits and Gravy

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Aubrey and Maturin

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Pots and Pans

Beavis and Butthead

Rise and Shine

Carter and Nixon

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Do we have a Fry and Bender

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Taters and Spuds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bloodscreech, Crier of the Damned and Early Mornings.

Doominatus, Lord of Chaos and Dropped Things.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Choco and Boko

Einstein and Hawking (etc)

Sociopastry posted:

Taters and Spuds

Dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon