Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I finally started exploring the place directly after the Catacombs, Boreal Valley and it was nothing too bad. Until I found my way down to the lake. :stare: I'm not looking forward to the Irithyll Dungeons from the vague things I've heard if this is the crap just on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hot tip for anyone having issues summoning: The spell Seek Guidance makes a ton more summon signs show up around you when you use it, in addition to showing developer messages.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

axeil posted:

All the NPCs at firelink are dead or have gone missing except Andre, the firekeeper and the old lady who sells stuff. I have no idea what I did but it was obviously not good.

Things you might have done:

Irina and Eygon: If you gave her the dark miracle tomes, Eygon will steal her away and hide her from you so you don't corrupt her
Greirat: If you send him away and then tell Patches where he went, Patches will kill him. Alternatively, sending him away a third time will do it unless Siegward is there to bail him out
Hawkwood: Defeating the abyss watchers will send him outside, where he will be praying at the gravestones- beginning the path to becoming a dragon either on purpose or by accident, will cause him to leave
Yoel: If you accept his curse via unlocking your true strength, and then let the firekeeper heal your dark sigil, he will die
Leonhard: He will periodically leave and come back after giving you the key to the lift in Lothric, he has his own "business" to attend to
Sirris: If you join the Rosaria's Fingers covenant you will piss her off and she will leave, alternatively chatting her up before doing that will get her to leave and become available as a friendly summon for a bunch of bosses
Orbeck: Buying EVERYTHING from him will cause him to leave and go elsewhere, you probably have not done this yet since some of the tomes are really late in the game
Anri and Horace only show up for one portion of their quest and then they leave for the next part

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Forewarning to all players: never be embered for the area specifically after the boss in Ilithyl castle. You will be invaded. Relentlessly.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Toriori posted:

the words "unable to summon phantom" are going to haunt me

I never had a single issue summoning phantoms until the one time I desperately needed them. I had two god drat invaders chasing me around Irithyll and I must have hit up like 10 summon signs in my desperate dashing around only for every single one of them to give me "Unable to Summon" before I inevitably got smashed into a fine paste.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

codo27 posted:

The answer to every whine about combat/game mechanics: git gud

you can't roll through the estoc

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

Forewarning to all players: never be embered for the area specifically after the boss in Ilithyl castle. You will be invaded. Relentlessly.

Conversely, always be embered, do way of blue+giant seed+dried knuckle and be in pvp heaven. Not being embered there actively harms the pvp community of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also simply to satiate my own curiosity, could I have found another katana besides the Uchigatana by the time I've killed the Abyss Watchers/completed the Keep and the Cathedral?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any tips for the Crystal sage ? By the times the clones start showing up I'm always overwhelmed since there's so many things shooting at me and the camera controls are kinda rear end.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wonder if "Unable to Summon Phantom" comes from trying to use old signs that have already been used by someone else. DkS2 was nice and gave you all kinds of informative messages, but that's the only error I've seen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

Also simply to satiate my own curiosity, could I have found another katana besides the Uchigatana by the time I've killed the Abyss Watchers/completed the Keep and the Cathedral?

If you join the mound makers and donate 10 vertebrae shackles, you get the Bloodlust katana.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 16, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

argondamn posted:

I wonder if "Unable to Summon Phantom" comes from trying to use old signs that have already been used by someone else.

Correct.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Boomstick Quaid posted:

She gets pissed off if you turn in pale tongues to rosaria, not joing the covenant itself
She might also get pissed at you if you use the respec option. I haven't turned in a single pale tongue but Sirris got pissed at me anyway, even after helping with the bridge fight and getting a blessed mail breaker from her.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Conversely, always be embered, do way of blue+giant seed+dried knuckle and be in pvp heaven. Not being embered there actively harms the pvp community of the game.

Invasions always being 1v3+ fights with hostile monsters is actually worse for the pvp community of the game because they'll all stop.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you join the mound makers and donate 10 vertebrae shackles, you get the Bloodlust katana.

Two things, one I have no idea how to do join them, and two I killed the greatwood already lol

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Exodee posted:

She might also get pissed at you if you use the respec option. I haven't turned in a single pale tongue but Sirris got pissed at me anyway, even after helping with the bridge fight and getting a blessed mail breaker from her.

Well the respec option takes a tongue so that would make sense.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Invasions always being 1v3+ fights with hostile monsters is actually worse for the pvp community of the game because they'll all stop.

Um no you can just run away the monsters don't follow you everywhere. The enemies won't go to the little arena area, and they help corral the 5-6 phantoms over there instead of having to contend with extended chase sequences in the middle of battles

Plus if you feel you're outnumbered as an invader you can wait a bit before your approach for some more phantoms to pop in

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

Two things, one I have no idea how to do join them, and two I killed the greatwood already lol

You missed your chance, the boss falls on the covenant leader when it goes down the hole v:v:v

That said, you can get the Darkdrift katana right now in a weird roundabout way if you fudge Yoel's questline:

Get the first dark sigil from Yoel, and then unlock the rest of the free level-ups by jumping off a nearby cliff a bajillion times until your hollowing is about 20 or so. Take them, and the next time you visit firelink Yuria will have showed up. Kill her, and you get the Darkdrift katana way early.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well the respec option takes a tongue so that would make sense.
Ah drat, I didn't realize that. But yeah that does make sense, then.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Best part of the game so far: http://gfycat.com/EmotionalDefiniteEquine (no spoilers)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You missed your chance, the boss falls on the covenant leader when it goes down the hole v:v:v

That said, you can get the Darkdrift katana right now in a weird roundabout way if you fudge Yoel's questline:

Get the first dark sigil from Yoel, and then unlock the rest of the free level-ups by jumping off a nearby cliff a bajillion times until your hollowing is about 20 or so. Take them, and the next time you visit firelink Yuria will have showed up. Kill her, and you get the Darkdrift katana way early.

You can still get into Mound-makers if you haven't hosed up Sirris' quest-line.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

argondamn posted:

You can still get into Mound-makers if you haven't hosed up Sirris' quest-line.

Yes, but he asked for a katana besides the uchigatana he can get before the abyss watchers, which he can no longer do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

She and no I said I beat them :v:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Hot tip for anyone having issues summoning: The spell Seek Guidance makes a ton more summon signs show up around you when you use it, in addition to showing developer messages.

You can also summon while not being embered. Which is interesting; I wonder if that means you also can't get invaded if you're summoning while unembered? Has anyone fought a host who was not?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Appoda posted:

You can also summon while not being embered. Which is interesting; I wonder if that means you also can't get invaded if you're summoning while unembered? Has anyone fought a host who was not?

I'll go test this

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Elf parties on the outskirts of Cathedral of the Deep got you down? Try this secret path, then get conked by one of those dumb little shits anyway. :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

She and no I said I beat them :v:

Well, either way what I said still stands. If you want the Darkdrifit all you have to do is go hollow, which you should be used to if you're a Souls game veteran

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Stiggs posted:

Best part of the game so far: http://gfycat.com/EmotionalDefiniteEquine (no spoilers)

Praise the rolling!

I like that there's cool NPC poo poo going on but it's kind of annoying how easy it is to accidentally break NPC quests by doing stuff that doesn't seem related at all, or just by not happening to walk through a particular area after a certain point for example how you have absolutely no reason to walk past the well in front of the Cathedral after you open the front door, unless you die and have to run back through that shortcut.

Related, if I want to do the hosed up sounding hollow anri storyline is there anything I have to watch out for other than the usual caveats re: Yoel?

Also I was going for an "Oscar from Rose of Versailles" look with my latest character but everything I did just made her look more and more like a fabulously pretty man, mission accomplished I guess, except her hair looks green rather than the blonde it was in the character creator :smith:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It's a shame that the Darkmoon Covenant has such good rewards hidden behind progression because it's loving impossible to get summoned for it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

So I had two summons and went to fight (late-game spoiler) Dragonslayer Armour for the very first time, and right outside the fog door, I got a big ol' message saying "HEIR OF FIRE DESTROYED" and the spoils from the boss. I know it's a hard fight but I feel a bit ripped off. Fighting him as a summon just doesn't bring the same satisfaction.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Appoda posted:

You can just see the signs it won't let you summon at all if you're not embered. source: just tried

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

RabidWeasel posted:

Praise the rolling!

I like that there's cool NPC poo poo going on but it's kind of annoying how easy it is to accidentally break NPC quests by doing stuff that doesn't seem related at all, or just by not happening to walk through a particular area after a certain point for example how you have absolutely no reason to walk past the well in front of the Cathedral after you open the front door, unless you die and have to run back through that shortcut.

Related, if I want to do the hosed up sounding hollow anri storyline is there anything I have to watch out for other than the usual caveats re: Yoel?

Also I was going for an "Oscar from Rose of Versailles" look with my latest character but everything I did just made her look more and more like a fabulously pretty man, mission accomplished I guess, except her hair looks green rather than the blonde it was in the character creator :smith:

re: yoel: no it's not that weird. Just make sure to also be engaging Anri every place you can. Also i'm going to be explicit so anri/londor quest spoilers: after you talk to her twice in the catacombs IMMEDIATELY go kill horace in the smouldering lake to be sure you don't trigger her following him on accident.

Also, once Yuria shows up, just do the normal thing of talking to her frequently and nothing can really go sour.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Azazell0 posted:

Any tips for the Crystal sage ? By the times the clones start showing up I'm always overwhelmed since there's so many things shooting at me and the camera controls are kinda rear end.

Look for the one holding the glowing crystal ball and focus on him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Well, either way what I said still stands. If you want the Darkdrifit all you have to do is go hollow, which you should be used to if you're a Souls game veteran

Could you tell me how to join the Mound Makers for my second character where I don't kill the greatwood?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
This is only about 3 or 4 areas in but going to keep it spoilered just in case, but I'm having some trouble finding people to invade in the Watchdogs of Farron covenant. I'm level 30 with +4 regular items, but I almost never seem to find anybody to invade. I've been in this covenant starting at level 21 with +3 gear and only invaded 3 people total (the first two I lost connection before I could do anything). Am I just at an inappropriate level? Because I didn't think it would be this difficult to find bites only 5 days since the game's launch, so I don't know if it's just me or my connection or what.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bland posted:

It's a shame that the Darkmoon Covenant has such good rewards hidden behind progression because it's loving impossible to get summoned for it.

Way of the Blue also gives you the Concord Kept things so you could try that instead I guess (I haven't tried either convenant so maybe it's just as bad idk)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
When I did Anri's quest I killed Horace, went back up and told Anri but he was like "oh I'll go find him then :D" as if I had somehow left out the detail that he was totally dead. Then later there was a memorial where Horace had been with a prism stone and it was really cute/sad/awful, and then I found Anri in Irithyll and he was like "well I never found Horace". ???????

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Way of the Blue also gives you the Concord Kept things so you could try that instead I guess (I haven't tried either convenant so maybe it's just as bad idk)

Covenant summons just seem really wonky in general. Either that or the vast majority of players don't have the first clue what they do, so they just never mess with them. It's probably a combination of the two.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cyberventurer posted:

This is only about 3 or 4 areas in but going to keep it spoilered just in case, but I'm having some trouble finding people to invade in the Watchdogs of Farron covenant. I'm level 30 with +4 regular items, but I almost never seem to find anybody to invade. I've been in this covenant starting at level 21 with +3 gear and only invaded 3 people total (the first two I lost connection before I could do anything). Am I just at an inappropriate level? Because I didn't think it would be this difficult to find bites only 5 days since the game's launch, so I don't know if it's just me or my connection or what.
The issue is your item upgrades have put you above the people in the area. You'll likely be stuck in the wolfgrass three guy grind near the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Platypus Farm posted:

re: yoel: no it's not that weird. Just make sure to also be engaging Anri every place you can. Also i'm going to be explicit so anri/londor quest spoilers: after you talk to her twice in the catacombs IMMEDIATELY go kill horace in the smouldering lake to be sure you don't trigger her following him on accident.

Also, once Yuria shows up, just do the normal thing of talking to her frequently and nothing can really go sour.

OK so just make sure I murder Horace when I'm supposd to (managed fine on my first character) and talk to everyone as usual? I assume that the assassin thing either doesn't happen on this questline or is not easily gently caress-upable? I haven't seen Yuria yet as I hosed up Yoel's quest on my first character.