Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The original Asterisk theme is still in, at least for the first sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Honestly from playing the demo and the little bits of the intro so far, I think the music is still very good. It's not as good as the original, but it feels like they tried to live up to it as much as they can and they came up with some solid stuff so it still works out fine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The original Asterisk theme is in where it's appropriate.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
they even play baby bird when edea first shows up, just to taunt you. :argh:

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

Added list. FC: 0430-8672-5192

quote:

irlZaphod 3179-6055-6192
Samael 0061-0189-8488
Junpei Hyde 2148-8399-4584
Dunban 1848-2888-3654
Turhapuuro 2638-0603-2955
Kin 2423-3814-4667
Avalerion 4484-8908-1219
Suaimhneas 0962-9710-0735
Lizzy 0087-3730-9835
Comrade Kirov 0860-3446-7611
AAAAA 4227-2278-4627
The Iron Rose 0404-9896-4344
Rangpur 2853-0728-4947
Bedurndurn 2294-7457-8286
Konig: 1349-5172-3321
Retcon: 4871-3978-2918
Thuryl 2406-5175-6057
Apocrypha: 4768-8575-9676

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Triple wield is a good skill. You can equip a weapon in your main hand, shield in offhand, and weapon on your head and your main hand weapon won't get the duel wield damage penalty. So you can basically have a shield instead of a helmet and duel wield with only one weapon getting the damage penalty

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/721342665858555907

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I appreciate baseball Agnes

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

LemonAIDS posted:

weapon on your head
I love this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ba'al-skin umbrellas :haw:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Charioteer's Weapon Toss skill has a quirk that isn't immediately obvious (and makes it much more cost effective). You automatically get the weapons back at the end of battle. Their high-level skill that "retrieves thrown weapons" returns them before the end of battle in case you want to hurl your strongest spear at a boss multiple times. Which is entirely possible since it ignores physical defense. Going to test it on the 'Giant Enemy Crabs' first chance I get to buy katanas.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Charioteer is a pretty great class overall

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was wondering when I'd get the ability to adjust encounter rate, as I remember that being pretty much available right from the start in the first game. That ability being linked to Tiz makes sense and is kind of cool.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

ZZT the Fifth posted:

My game just froze on a sale while I was chompcrafting. :( 25 minutes down the drain... is this a known issue?

If you look online people have reported game freezes during almost every aspect of the game. When I played it I had game freezes in battles whenever I used a particular move combination.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If there's one song I miss, it's "World of Scattering Flowers." So pretty, so sad.:smith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Starsnostars posted:

If you look online people have reported game freezes during almost every aspect of the game. When I played it I had game freezes in battles whenever I used a particular move combination.

The EU version has a hard crash bug in the final boss if your 3DS system language is anything other than English, so it might be worth making sure that's a thing just in case it affects other seemingly random crashes.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
oh right i should probably post my friend code. 2836-0545-8951

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Regarding returning asterisks: Is there any reason I should choose __Thief___ over Red Mage my first time through the game? I could really use the latter's talents with some of my other classes, but I'd like to know if the former will be worth not having the latter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You can get both eventually.

Choose the one you want now because it's a long time before you can get the other.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Regarding returning asterisks: Is there any reason I should choose __Thief___ over Red Mage my first time through the game? I could really use the latter's talents with some of my other classes, but I'd like to know if the former will be worth not having the latter.

There's a Thief's Knife in the dungeon you go to for this quest on a hidden path. You can use Steal with that meaning Red Mage is probably the optimal choice.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

What Josuke said and also Red Mage is really useful for most of the game if you combine it with Wizard. By the time you get another chance to obtain it, it won't be as useful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I never played the first one. Should I play it before playing this one?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of sidequests! Swordmaster or Summoner? I'm leaning toward Summoner, but I feel like my party's getting a bit lopsided to casters (went with Red Mage). On the other hand, I assume Swordmaster is still primarily defensive, and still kinda useless if you don't have a way to ensure that attacks hit them, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

You should, since the opening cinematic spoils the biggest twist of Default.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

just like regal said, It spoils pretty much all the important story beats of 1, and there's things that won't really make sense without the first game to be context.

Also OH GOD SEND HELP I CAN'T STOP CHOMPCRAFTING I COULD LITERALLY DO THIS FOREVER PLEASE HELP ME

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I missed you, Bravely. :3:

Also, I added all the friend codes listed on this page. Here's mine: 2637-9823-4110. Or is there some sort of google doc for this already?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

just like regal said, It spoils pretty much all the important story beats of 1, and there's things that won't really make sense without the first game to be context.

Also OH GOD SEND HELP I CAN'T STOP CHOMPCRAFTING I COULD LITERALLY DO THIS FOREVER PLEASE HELP ME

Terper posted:

Me, yesterday:

quote:

Chompcraft is the most bizzare addition to a game ever?
Why do we need a sweatshop sim?

Me today, after a 30 minute session:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of sidequests! Swordmaster or Summoner? I'm leaning toward Summoner, but I feel like my party's getting a bit lopsided to casters (went with Red Mage). On the other hand, I assume Swordmaster is still primarily defensive, and still kinda useless if you don't have a way to ensure that attacks hit them, right?

you can use spellcraft with summon magic. do as you will with this knowledge.

speaking of spellcraft, does anyone know how wizard's ventriloquism support skill works? it's kinda vague on the execution.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I for one appreciate that the game's equivalent of Cookie Clicker is introduced by a literal cackling demon.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

quote:

CHOMPCRAFT?!

I just realized you need your system open to do chompcrafting, but SP only builds while in sleep mode, so this adorable clicker game is actually a nefarious plot to increase SP sales. I see you, Bravely Second. :colbert:

...That doesn't mean I'll stop , of course. Actually, this really makes me want to crochet a chomper. I can craft while I craft!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Huh? I thought they changed it so that SP builds up regardless of whether your 3DS is active or in Sleep Mode?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Regalingualius posted:

Summoner, dear christ Summoner. The class is just completely busted combined with Spellcraft and there's nothing you'll get that's nearly as good any time soon.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Huh? I thought they changed it so that SP builds up regardless of whether your 3DS is active or in Sleep Mode?

Oh, I assumed it worked the same as BD. Never mind!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hah, kinda figured it'd be Summoner. Outta curiosity, is Swordmaster pretty much the same? As in, mostly bad, but has an ability that makes melee classes absurdly powerful?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Regalingualius posted:

Nothing Ventured and Before Swine have a built-in taunt now

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

In Eternian Central Command and NIKOLAI YOU BASTARD. :argh: I mean I sorta suspected it but I was hoping I was wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I haven't seen any freezes yet. Hopefully it stays that way. :ohdear:

Twelve by Pies posted:

In Eternian Central Command and NIKOLAI YOU BASTARD. :argh: I mean I sorta suspected it but I was hoping I was wrong.

On the other hand, Janne and Nikolai look very fashionaaaabluh in their evil outfits.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I think I'm gonna have to play with Japanese VA. Dean Venture as the main character is really throwing me off.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think I'm gonna have to play with Japanese VA. Dean Venture as the main character is really throwing me off.

Really, I think it fits Yew perfectly. He's a giant goofball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sinterniklaas absolutely owns Yew and does a much better job than boring old Daisuke Namikawa

• Locked thread