Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Gotta say a rat puking in the toilet because of its sickness would be quite the sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3wHKgTMiwk

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

El Burbo posted:

I guess these people do exist

I mean, I already expressed dislike for the art style (though the colors a very much a Jojo thing), but the story so far is really good and feels less highschool drama than the first couple episode of SDC. After the Kakyuin fight, I was afraid it was all gonna take place at highschool like a Jojo version of F:SN

This is a good season, and past experience tells me things will get even better as we get to the meat of the story

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You misread it. Stands can touch anything, but Stands can only be touched by other Stands.

That's the same thing though.if a stand is touching a bullet then the bullet is touching the stand.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJ posted:

That's the same thing though.if a stand is touching a bullet then the bullet is touching the stand.

Stands can choose to interact with anything that's not a Stand, but anything that's not a Stand can't choose to interact with a Stand.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I wonder what Einstein had to say about Stands, are they affected by the laws of the universe the same way as we?

much work needs to be done on this subject

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Stands decide whether or not they interact with material objects, it's just that the object in question has no say in the matter.

Star Platinum can choose to catch a bullet or let it pass through him harmlessly, but the bullet itself can't do anything Star Platinum doesn't want it to.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

El Hefe posted:

I wonder what Einstein had to say about Stands, are they affected by the laws of the universe the same way as we?

much work needs to be done on this subject

Albert Einstein and his Stand, Relative Ways

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

CJ posted:

I mean sure you can be willfully pedantic if you want but that clearly isn't actually how it works in-series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CJ posted:

Look it's like this. You can throw a knife at Jotaro and it will pass through Star Platinum and stab Jotaro in the face unless Star Platinum actively blocks it.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Bad Seafood posted:

Stands decide whether or not they interact with material objects, it's just that the object in question has no say in the matter.

Star Platinum can choose to catch a bullet or let it pass through him harmlessly, but the bullet itself can't do anything Star Platinum doesn't want it to.

Unless it's a bullet from Hol Horse.

Or from that one guy in Part 5.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Sandman posted:

Or from that one guy in Part 5.

Guido uses a regular gun. His stand guides the bullets, but it's just a regular revolver.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The hair joke gets better as stand fights become more complex, right?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think anyone's mentioned it but I love the chef's shimmy in the OP

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Housh posted:

The hair joke actually becomes less and less used as the series goes on.

I guess that's technically a spoiler, but I think it's a pretty important thing to mention since assuming Araki just keeps going back to that well would turn a lot of people off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Housh posted:

it gets dropped, though it gets a good send off

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still can't figure what move Josuke's doing in the OP but the girl twirling is my fav.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm enjoying part 4 a lot so far. I think I'm probably in the minority because peak JoJo for me was part 2. It may have been absolutely ridiculous, but watching the least powerful Jojo defeat immortal beings with strings, balls and volcanos was hilarious to me. Like, it never stopped being entertaining. Wasn't a huge fan of part 3, but part 4 seems very charming.

Also question: if I want to read ahead on Jojo but don't want to spoil part 4 too much, am I safe to go on to part 5 or should I like jump ahead to part...6 or 7 or something?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Hopeford posted:

I'm enjoying part 4 a lot so far. I think I'm probably in the minority because peak JoJo for me was part 2. It may have been absolutely ridiculous, but watching the least powerful Jojo defeat immortal beings with strings, balls and volcanos was hilarious to me. Like, it never stopped being entertaining. Wasn't a huge fan of part 3, but part 4 seems very charming.

Also question: if I want to read ahead on Jojo but don't want to spoil part 4 too much, am I safe to go on to part 5 or should I like jump ahead to part...6 or 7 or something?

Part 5 is still being retranslated since the current translations are hot garbage (it's past the halfway point by now) though I'd recommend waiting a few weeks so that a thing happens and you don't get spoiled on a small thing of Part 4 when you read chapter 1 of Part 5.
Part 6 is pretty safe to jump into, gives a new context to something in Part 4 but it's just a funny hindsight rather than spoiling you anything.
Part 7 is super safe to jump into.
Part 8 is best read after you've finished all the previous parts.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah Part 7 has 0 spoilers, 5 and 6 will have some but nothing major besides knowing some characters survive part 4.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hopeford posted:

If you are worried about spoilers then read part 7. It's very well regarded and takes place in a different universe so no fear of spoilers. Part 5 is pretty safe except it spoils something from Part 4 in the first chapter and the old translation is bad if the new one isn't finished yet.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Thanks guys, gonna read part 7 then and go back to part 5 once I'm done with that. I need my Jojo fix man. I need it. Bad.

I'm not so worried on plot spoilers, more like spoilers of cool moments. One reason I'm not huge on part 3 is that a friend of mine kept making "hilarious" references to part 3 stuff before it happened and then explaining what was gonna happen. Like I don't mind so much if I get spoiled on who lives/dies, but if I get spoiled on say someone driving an ice cream truck to run over an anthropomorphic coffee cup I'd be super salty.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 7 does contain a few nods to previous parts, but it's nothing super substantial. The lion's share of in-jokes and references all drawn from the first three parts anyway, so if you've seen those you're not even that lost when they allude to a thing.

Also, if my opinion or recommendation means anything to anyone, Part 7 gets my vote for peakest Jojo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Parts 5 and 6 are divisive.

Part 7 is literature.

Part 8 is insane.

This.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

parts 4 and 5 are legit the most disconnected from the rest of the series out of all of them, 5 more so than 4, so if someone wanted to get their fix of jojo i would just say start with 6 if you want to start on a fresh part that's entirely translated well. 6 even has color scans for all of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bad Seafood posted:

Parts 5 and 6 are divisive.

Part 7 is literature.

Part 8 is insane.

This sounds accurate.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/joIynekujos/status/719344181601116160

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Well he is about 10 years older; age has a way of mellowing a guy out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hopeford posted:

In my own personal neck of the woods, I actually ran into a lot of "meh part 3, give me part 2, Joseph 4 life" to the point where it seemed to be the majority opinion. I'm going to be curious to see if Josuke changes that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

In my own personal neck of the woods, I actually ran into a lot of "meh part 3, give me part 2, Joseph 4 life" to the point where it seemed to be the majority opinion. I'm going to be curious to see if Josuke changes that.

4>7>2>6>5>3>1, IMO. Prior to Part 7, it was like the Star Trek movies: the even ones were better than the odd ones.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

4>7>2>6>5>3>1, IMO. this is fact.

ftfy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rating 2 above 6 and 5 :whitewater:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hosed up, but it's true. We needa take this to manga thread if this gets any deeper though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dogsicle posted:

rating 2 above 6 and 5 :whitewater:
that's how it be

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jojo parts are like Final Fantasy, no one can agree on which one's the best although some numbers always rank higher than others.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Even though I like DiU more than Battle Tendency, Joseph is still my favorite JoJo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think I'm in the minority that didn't like Part 2 all that much. I mean, I enjoyed it and thought it was fun...but it's at the very bottom of my current ranking.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
As far as I'm concerned, Part 4 is the most Jojo's, part 6 is the most Bizarre, and part 7 is the most Adventure. They're my favorite parts and I can't really rank them with each other, but they're at the top.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

4>7>2>6>5>3>1, IMO

This except 7 before 4

Well, thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Momomo posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Part 4 is the most Jojo's, part 6 is the most Bizarre, and part 7 is the most Adventure. They're my favorite parts and I can't really rank them with each other, but they're at the top.

Hehe, I was thinking about that earlier and that's pretty much how I'd describe them (alongside part 2, that's pretty much my favorites too). Since I really like the Bizarre side, part 6 rates super high with me. Part 8 is also doing really well for itself on that front, and I think by the time it's done it will shoot up the ranks.

If you're an anime-only guy, suffice to say part 4 is very good and it shines when it does character interaction.

• Locked thread