Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Ballz posted:

The Skeleton Dance 10" Because why not? I didn't grab the full Disney songs album, which I saw a lot of people jump on. Just skeletons for me, please.

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World picture disc Just one of those albums that was always sitting on my "to-buy" list and there it was for :20bux:

Jealous- I wanted Skeleton Dance. Also I got TVC15 for $20... (which was on the top of my Want list) paid $45 for TMWSTW! Chalk it up to one part the Canadian Dollar sucking, and one part I'm just a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My store didn't have any of the Japanese garage psych samplers. Anyone manage to snag those?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Diet Poison posted:

Jealous- I wanted Skeleton Dance. Also I got TVC15 for $20... (which was on the top of my Want list) paid $45 for TMWSTW! Chalk it up to one part the Canadian Dollar sucking, and one part I'm just a sucker.

Anecdotal, but I saw plenty of copies of Skeleton Dance going unnoticed at both record stores I visited. A bit of patience and I'm sure you'll find a copy that won't be gouged to hell and back (although I can't make any promises with the Canadian exchange rate)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Walked into my local store a couple minutes after opening, picked up J Dilla, Sublime, and Andrew McMahon without incident. All in all a good day.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Is there a list of what got released in Europe's RSD?

http://www.recordstoredaygermany.de/exklusive-releases/record-store-day-2016/

Guess Germany's page is the place to go. Glad I caught it, they got a re-release I've been waiting for and grabbed it at a really low price considering.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 16, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ballz posted:

Lastly a question about the gimmicky Crosley turntables. I see they are three-speed. Can the cartridge be swapped out of these so I can put a specialized 78 needle? One of the places I hit up had a half dozen Mickey Mouse Crosleys that nobody was touching, and they still had a Ramones Crosley from last year's RSD discounted to 60 dollars. Even if Crosley's are overall meh, I wouldn't mind having a halfway decent 78 RPM record player. Having Mickey Mouse adorning it would just be a bonus. :thumbsup:

They do sell 78 needles, but I don't think you can change the cart itself, which is one of the complaints about them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Totally chill first RSD experience. Came in one hour after opening, no crowds or lines and I got The Residents and Xiu Xiu which were my two main goals. They also had most of the other stuff that was on my list.

In and out in 20 minutes. :feelsgood:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

My RSD pickups:

J Dilla - The Diary It was my main target and it was still sold out from the place I stood in line for two hours at (I was number 54 in line jfc). But I then went to a second store after things had died down a bit and they had about 5 copies just chilling on the shelf. Such is life.

Then there are my semi-impulse buys:

The Residents - Please Do Not Steal It! I blame all of you for this.

The Skeleton Dance 10" Because why not? I didn't grab the full Disney songs album, which I saw a lot of people jump on. Just skeletons for me, please.

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World picture disc Just one of those albums that was always sitting on my "to-buy" list and there it was for :20bux:

Miles Davis / Bilal - Ghetto Walkin' This is one of those records I could've picked up in six months for 8 dollars in the RSD clearance bin but oh well. I like Miles and Bilal, so I was curious.

I did show some restraint! The Hello Kitty picture disc seems like a fun novelty record, but not for 24 bucks. There was also a Now-Again box set on long-lost Nigerian rock music that I will probably eventually regret not grabbing. Finally there was a Dogfish Head "music to drink beer to" comp that had some good songs but like Ghetto Walkin, I can totally see this sitting in clearance for half price in a few months.

Lastly a question about the gimmicky Crosley turntables. I see they are three-speed. Can the cartridge be swapped out of these so I can put a specialized 78 needle? One of the places I hit up had a half dozen Mickey Mouse Crosleys that nobody was touching, and they still had a Ramones Crosley from last year's RSD discounted to 60 dollars. Even if Crosley's are overall meh, I wouldn't mind having a halfway decent 78 RPM record player. Having Mickey Mouse adorning it would just be a bonus. :thumbsup:

If you plan on doing that you might as well buy an old turntable from a flea market because that will run you about the same money as a Crosley and be way way better. I'm also 99% sure those things don't have removable carts and even if they did you're going to pay more for a cart than the whole turntable. If you're not on a budget the Audio Technica AT-LP120 has a 78 speed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This was my first RSD in a while (this last one was at a shop that was too small, too crowded, and poorly organized).

I picked up:

Idle Race- Idle Race
Jeff Lynne's band before ELO.

Dark Shadows – Music from the cult ABC soap opera.

The Move - Something Else From The Move– A live 7” EP.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Dark Shadows – Music from the cult ABC soap opera.

Ok, I'm going to have to track this down. My parents were HUGE fans of this show.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

A little bit of waiting in line, but I picked up a copy of Wake Up You!: The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock. It's a great package and I'm really excited to play it. I also picked up the Jay Reatard and Superchunk reissues and a few other odds and ends.

I also got to see some people argue over the Grateful Dead box set, so that was kind of fun.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
No line 15 minutes after my local shop opened, but his last copy of The Man Who Sold the World was being purchased when I walked in. I wanted to support him anyway, so I caved in like a huge nerd and bought the Star Wars picture disc even though I have the whole soundtrack on preorder.

Then I found a copy of "Collector's Item: Songs from the Taverns of the Pacific Northwest" for 3bux and immediately felt better.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I got bunch of the stuff I was looking for. Air - Casanova, Kung Fury soundtrack, Henri Texier - Les La Bas and Rob Zombie's Everybody's loving in a UFO (the song is terrible but the etched vinyl is pretty neat). For some reason there weren't a lot of Focus - Hocus Pocus records around in Helsinki so I missed that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

If you plan on doing that you might as well buy an old turntable from a flea market because that will run you about the same money as a Crosley and be way way better. I'm also 99% sure those things don't have removable carts and even if they did you're going to pay more for a cart than the whole turntable. If you're not on a budget the Audio Technica AT-LP120 has a 78 speed.

Yeah, I already have a cheap-o turntable that can play 78 rpm but won't allow you to swap out the cart, so I can still listen to my 78s in a pinch, although they'll just sound more like garbage than usual. Was kind of hoping the Crosleys would at least allow you to swap the cart, but their target audience is probably a bit different than what I would fall under.

No rush getting a specialized 78 turntable, but you're right that a flea market may ultimately be my best bet.

Mt. Modular posted:

A little bit of waiting in line, but I picked up a copy of Wake Up You!: The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock. It's a great package and I'm really excited to play it. I also picked up the Jay Reatard and Superchunk reissues and a few other odds and ends.

I also got to see some people argue over the Grateful Dead box set, so that was kind of fun.

If I hadn't already spent so much money, that Nigerian Rock box set would've been next on my to-buy list. Weird foreign obscure 70s poo poo is right up my wheelhouse, and I'm a huge fan of Now-Again. I'm gambling that it's obscure enough that it'll still be there waiting to be bought on a future visit.

Also was the Grateful Dead argument over the final copy or something? That's pretty funny, both stores I hit up had plenty of copies. I think the price tag was a bit too steep for the casual fan.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

No line 15 minutes after my local shop opened, but his last copy of The Man Who Sold the World was being purchased when I walked in. I wanted to support him anyway, so I caved in like a huge nerd and bought the Star Wars picture disc even though I have the whole soundtrack on preorder.

Then I found a copy of "Collector's Item: Songs from the Taverns of the Pacific Northwest" for 3bux and immediately felt better.

There's a regular non-picture disc reissue of the Man Who Sold the World for everyone who needs a copy of that album. It isn't a limited edition or anything.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

If I hadn't already spent so much money, that Nigerian Rock box set would've been next on my to-buy list. Weird foreign obscure 70s poo poo is right up my wheelhouse, and I'm a huge fan of Now-Again. I'm gambling that it's obscure enough that it'll still be there waiting to be bought on a future visit.

Also was the Grateful Dead argument over the final copy or something? That's pretty funny, both stores I hit up had plenty of copies. I think the price tag was a bit too steep for the casual fan.

I'm listening to Wake Up You now and its everything I hoped it would be: crazy-talented 70s rock/funk/soul. I definitely felt like I was the only person picking this up this morning, based on how many others were left, so hopefully it won't be hard to grab later. Well worth it!

The Dead box drama, it was silly...someone in line had someone who was already in the store grab a copy and hold onto it for him, which then angered other line-waiters. But I was behind that guy, and when I got into the store...there were plenty more $80 box sets that nobody was touching.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

The Residents - Please Do Not Steal It! I blame all of you for this.

Ahahaha what have you fuckers got me into with this thing. My wife is going to divorce me if I seriously start getting into The Residents.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I have no Willpower so i ended up getting the sublime release too. Both the clerk and myself were super shocked that there was still a copy of it there at 4pm

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ballz posted:

Ahahaha what have you fuckers got me into with this thing. My wife is going to divorce me if I seriously start getting into The Residents.

Be sure to get those DVDs and multimedia CD ROMs too! :getin:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I'm super shocked anybody would buy a sublime album, unless you're a 16 year old who just started smoking

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Anaranjado posted:

I'm super shocked anybody would buy a sublime album, unless you're a 16 year old who just started smoking

Go figure that taste is subjective, stunning revelation i know

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Somebody who hates on someone else for liking a band isn't the type of person to be into Sublime, colour me shocked

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't suppose anybody else bought the Xiu Xiu album? Because it was supposed to contain a download code and mine didn't, I took both records out and inspected the sleeves and looked over the inside of the gatefold and saw nothing resembling a download code. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't suppose anybody else bought the Xiu Xiu album? Because it was supposed to contain a download code and mine didn't, I took both records out and inspected the sleeves and looked over the inside of the gatefold and saw nothing resembling a download code. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

Mine had the code tucked in the back of the red record sleeve. Bad luck dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

King Vidiot posted:

Contact Polyvinyl about it. Their customer service people are great at fixing this kind of stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zigmoose posted:

Mine had the code tucked in the back of the red record sleeve. Bad luck dude.

Cool, found it thanks! It was hard to see because it's a slip of plain paper with a white back and it was jammed into the fold.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The eternal RSD refrain -

I hadn't planned on spending as much as I did, and yet, I did.

SunnO))) - Kannon
Devin Townsend - Truth/Lucky Animals (live) 10"
Fela & Afrika `70 - I Go Shout Plenty/Frustration 10" (The internet tells me these are recordings from the early-mid `80s, but Fela > No Fela.)
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth (used, promotional copy, nice condition, though.)
The Mystery Split 7" - MC5/Melvins - Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa) on transparent red vinyl (because I always buy the mystery split at RSD, it's fun.)

And two 33 ⅓ books, on Freedom of Choice and Chocolate and Cheese.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 17, 2016

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Is that Xiu Xiu album gonna be super rare or is the $80 Aug price on discos just the usual rsd price gouging?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gently caress Record Store Day and anyone who perpetuates it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mike_V posted:

lol

rsd can be a good thing if you do it for the right reasons

gently caress the people who rush in and buy poo poo just to put it on ebay

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Thank you for your unique and insightful commentary.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

The eternal RSD refrain -

I hadn't planned on spending as much as I did, and yet, I did.

SunnO))) - Kannon
Devin Townsend - Truth/Lucky Animals (live) 10"
Fela & Afrika `70 - I Go Shout Plenty/Frustration 10" (The internet tells me these are recordings from the early-mid `80s, but Fela > No Fela.)
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth (used, promotional copy, nice condition, though.)
The Mystery Split 7" - MC5/Melvins - Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa) on transparent red vinyl (because I always buy the mystery split at RSD, it's fun.)

And two 33 ⅓ books, on Freedom of Choice and Chocolate and Cheese.

Also it came with a bag for Rosemary to hide in. Best possible purchase.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
There wasn't anything I wanted on the list this year but I found a couple Kraftwerk albums I'd been looking for and a copy of Raw Power in decent shape, so successful RSD!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Thank you for your unique and insightful commentary.

Is it not true? Is there anything actual worthwhile released on RSD, or is it just a bunch arbitrarily limited, special edition, newly remastered, 180G, swirl vinyl bullshit? There's like two or three decent albums on this list. One of them is almost 40 years old, and the other two are almost 10 years old. What's the point?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone has different opinions of what is worthwhile

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bowmore posted:

Everyone has different opinions of what is worthwhile

That doesn't make all the opinions good

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Have some codes ya'll!

Additionally I'll send the CD copy of A Sailor's Guide to Earth to whoever PMs me first. I have international stamps so this is worldwide.

EDIT: CD has been claimed :)

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 17, 2016

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Mulva posted:

Have some codes ya'll!

Additionally I'll send the CD copy of A Sailor's Guide to Earth to whoever PMs me first. I have international stamps so this is worldwide.

No thanks

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
RSD sucks bc, amonb other reasons, it delays legit releases. This Local Action Dawn Richard single came out a month ago and isn't shipping for another week because weiners need their 10k run represses of some jackoff 70s LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wonder if production capacity will catch up to that problem at some point?