Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is kind of an embarrassing question but what the hell am I supposed to do at deacons of the deep? I cannot stop getting cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Space Hamlet posted:

For my money, if I were to pick an ending to call the "true ending," the "flames fade" ending feels the most conclusive to the trilogy - it's the only one that wasn't already kinda present in the original game, and the only one that seems to suggest an end to the cycle.

Definitely agree with that one.

Also if I may.
I like how if you attack the fire keeper before the screen fades, it's basically a Demon Souls bad ending. Complete with putting your foot on the fire keeper's head. I heard that you cant' level up anymore (until you go to NG plus that is) if you do that though.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Is there any functional difference between Darkmoon Blade and Lightning Blade other than their damage type? Scaling or anything like that?

If not I think I'm just gonna give up on trying to get 30 covenant items for that because it's borderline impossible.

Lightning blade scales with faith but darkmoon scales with how upgraded your talisman is

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Loving the game, but it also seems like there's more ways to gently caress up quest progression/covenant/items/endings than ever before. Some of this stuff seems more arcane than anything from Demon's Souls, for example.

Which is a real shame because it was a lot easier to see most things on a first play through in DS2/BB and I never had to feel too guilty about my decisions. It feels like a regression to me.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Definitely agree with that one.

Also if I may.
I like how if you attack the fire keeper before the screen fades, it's basically a Demon Souls bad ending. Complete with putting your foot on the fire keeper's head. I heard that you cant' level up anymore (until you go to NG plus that is) if you do that though.

What if you do the good quest line for Irina and she becomes a firekeeper? I bet you can still level through her

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

hahaha jesus christ. Just invaded a guy and he burned all of his estus, then spent the next 2+ minutes sprinting away from me, of which I could do nothing because if you try to attack someone who's sprinting you slow down just enough for them to get away. He ran all the way from the giant in the dungeon to the bonfire just to summon someone so he could beat me. loving aggravating. Also somehow he just kept chugging even though I know for sure he drank more than 11.

Was it NG+? You get more shards there, though I don't know what the full cap is. I'm at 12 after just starting it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

NESguerilla posted:

This is kind of an embarrassing question but what the hell am I supposed to do at deacons of the deep? I cannot stop getting cursed.
Only bother killing the guys who are glowing. The rest can be ignored.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Look for the red glow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm lost in irithyll. I'm next to a gate that can't be opened from my side near the illusory wall and i've looked everywhere as far as i can tell

edit: never mind i accidentally aggroed the fire witch with 2 enemies next to it and found the bonfire while running away

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Lightning blade scales with faith but darkmoon scales with how upgraded your talisman is

Doesn't upgrading your talisman increase your faith scaling on spells anyway?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAcMxkjCTs&t=35s

Do a big circle and try to corral them into a small pack, then wail on multiples of them at a time- preferably away from the monument, so that they don't respawn right next to you. Then once the path is clear you can slap the glowing one around a bit, then return to corral-ing them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed. They need to get rid of the Way of Blue covenant, and let sentinels work like the Bellkeeper covenant in DS2.

Also give Darkmoon Blades a loving Blue Eye Orb

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Doesn't upgrading your talisman increase your faith scaling on spells anyway?

Right but the darkmoon blade damage formula only uses the spell buff value of your talisman, it has nothing do to with your stat allocation

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The spell buff value of your talisman is increased by your faith. Unless there's one with no scaling, but the rest do.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The spell buff value of your talisman is increased by your faith.

Hmm yeah I'm not sure if it's the base value or the scaling adjusted value.

Ok looking into it deeper it might just be the same as lightning blade but deal magic instead of lightning damage

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Boomstick Quaid posted:

What if you do the good quest line for Irina and she becomes a firekeeper? I bet you can still level through her

I did not do that.

I ended up accidentally doing that bad quest line for her. Haha.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tamayachi posted:

Was it NG+? You get more shards there, though I don't know what the full cap is. I'm at 12 after just starting it.

15 uses at +10 is the cap, which is probably a little excessive for PvP.

edit: You can get all of them in NG, but if you miss any, all shards respawn in NG+ and you can pick up ones you've already found again until you hit the cap.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Also give Darkmoon Blades a loving Blue Eye Orb

Or just give them their item from regular invasions if they have the Darkmoon covenant equipped, like the purplebros and sunbros get.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is some bullshit.

I've been playing for 44 hours and the only Refined Gem I've seen is the guaranteed drop from the Lothric Knight outside where Emma sits. I've been farming "confirmed drop" knights now for hours, amassed over 300k souls, a dozen Titanite Chunks and over 40 Large Titanite Shards... and not a single Refined Gem. Why even loving include it in the game, and why do you get the ability to Infuse them so early.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
ending chat:

yuria/anri ending: I think it's kind of stupid. I mean, okay great now I'm the lord of hollows. Fantastic. I am literally the chief lunatic of the asylum. It just doesn't make any sense--the entire series, the process of hollowing has been a very bad thing. I'm supposed to just accept that it's 'the true nature of humanity' just because some shakespearean-talking woman in a weird hat told me so?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Catacombs...I can't handle this

a blessed weapon will cull the respawning and basically permastagger big skeles, and you can have a free blessed gem by now
it wont do great damage but it basically neutralizes all the trash mobs anyways
just throw it on a separate weapon and upgrade it a little, since the area will give you tons of smalls shards to compensate any materials spent and theres no reason to invest large shards for the area
go back to your regular weapon for the boss

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Platypus Farm posted:

yuria/anri ending: I think it's kind of stupid. I mean, okay great now I'm the lord of hollows. Fantastic. I am literally the chief lunatic of the asylum. It just doesn't make any sense--the entire series, the process of hollowing has been a very bad thing. I'm supposed to just accept that it's 'the true nature of humanity' just because some shakespearean-talking woman in a weird hat told me so?

I mean Yuria's working for Kaathe, and that's exactly what the Dark Lord ending in Dark Souls 1 was: believing that the true nature of man and source of human power was immortal, undying insanity because a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you so.

Why the heck would you trust her

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Now I'm absolutely pumped to see where the DLC goes with this game

Also, later boss lore spoilers I have no idea how I missed that the Nameless King is Gwyn's firstborn son, despite all the obvious connections. Oh well, sorry Solaire, you're not the special one anymore

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

RME posted:

a blessed weapon will cull the respawning and basically permastagger big skeles, and you can have a free blessed gem by now
it wont do great damage but it basically neutralizes all the trash mobs anyways
just throw it on a separate weapon and upgrade it a little, since the area will give you tons of smalls shards to compensate any materials spent and theres no reason to invest large shards for the area
go back to your regular weapon for the boss

To add to this: just loving run.

All the soulsborne games can basically just be charged straight through, but this one seems more susceptible to it than the rest. Seriously, if you're having trouble with a part of a level, just run the gently caress through it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Look for the red glow.

I realize this but I absolutely cannot avoid getting cursed when they are at around 25% Heath. At the end when the room turns black I can't cut through the mob in time to not get cursed. Even with the black pellet. I am at a total loss at how to beat this because there seems to be no way to avoid the buildup.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I mean Yuria's working for Kaathe, and that's exactly what the Dark Lord ending in Dark Souls 1 was: believing that the true nature of man and source of human power was immortal, undying insanity because a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you so.

Eh, what's the worst that could happen

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Or just give them their item from regular invasions if they have the Darkmoon covenant equipped, like the purplebros and sunbros get.

Yeah, there's so many things they could do to make it work better. Hell, I'd be satisfied with even just letting them come to the aid of other Darkmoons / Sentinels, since at least there would actually be people with those covenants equipped.

Really they just need to ditch Way of the Blue, because it's pointless and dumb. Like the concept of giving someone scared of being invaded while they play a specific defensive covenant sounds good on paper, but in reality all those big babies just play offline or unembered instead. Then you consider that Way of the Blue has no covenant rewards or anything that might give random players an incentive to try it out, and welp. There's basically zero reason to keep it equipped once you've found a second covenant.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Oh yeah, I know, that's what I mean. It makes some sort of sense in the relation to DS1 and Kaathe and all that. But in the DS3 context, it makes no sense. She never talks about Kaathe or any of that from what I remember, and I don't remember any item text that mentions the nature of hollowing or anything along those lines. Of all the stupid throwbacks in this game, I miss my horse toothed snake friend the most :(

edit also, let's be serious for a minute here: if a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you something, you'd fuckin believe him

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Internet Kraken posted:

Same. Apparently there's supposed to be this really funny scene with the later but it completely broke in my game so he never appeared there. :shrug:

Giant's seeds are tied to invasions. You have a chance to get one after each invasion you go through. Rub the dry finger on your face.

Try finger but hole

Got it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok, in the Demon Ruins, nearish the start, there's an item across a small pit in a narrow hallway past a bunch of enemies.

Anyone know what this is? Is it worth it? Because for the life of me I can't make that jump (is there another way?)

e; or the items past Tsorig

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 16, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

voltcatfish posted:

Catacombs...I can't handle this

The floor traps hit enemies too :ssh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Tamayachi posted:

Nah, just NG lv50. I just wish hitting someone while they're sprinting staggered them for a few second.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Okay this is some bullshit.

I've been playing for 44 hours and the only Refined Gem I've seen is the guaranteed drop from the Lothric Knight outside where Emma sits. I've been farming "confirmed drop" knights now for hours, amassed over 300k souls, a dozen Titanite Chunks and over 40 Large Titanite Shards... and not a single Refined Gem. Why even loving include it in the game, and why do you get the ability to Infuse them so early.

I'm at the end of the game and I have twice as many titanite slabs as I do refined gems. It's very weird, they throw upgrade materials at you like confetti this time around, but infusion gems are very, very rare. I have enough titanite to upgrade like a dozen weapons to +9, but the game still kinda forces you to pick one or two to commit to with infusions.

Hopefully the drop rate stuff gets tweaked in general, there are way too many items that involve tedious, soul-crushing grinding of enemies with a .001 chance of dropping things, and it's really unnecessary and probably the only legitimately unfun aspect of the game for me so far. I'm not really sure why that's been kind of a staple throughout the series. The game (and PvP especially) gets a lot more fun and varied when you have more tools in your toolbox.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Platypus Farm posted:

Oh yeah, I know, that's what I mean. It makes some sort of sense in the relation to DS1 and Kaathe and all that. But in the DS3 context, it makes no sense. She never talks about Kaathe or any of that from what I remember, and I don't remember any item text that mentions the nature of hollowing or anything along those lines. Of all the stupid throwbacks in this game, I miss my horse toothed snake friend the most :(

edit also, let's be serious for a minute here: if a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you something, you'd fuckin believe him

Funny thing about what's his face.

Kill Yuria and she goes oh Kaathe I fail you, so yeah only time she brings it up. :v:

edit: Considering the optional boss...

Am I the only kinda glad they decided to nip the bud and that hey this dude was Gwyn's son and Solarie was just a dude obsessed with the Sun and not the God of war? Also I like how they let you find Orenstein's body and it's like ah, he got his rear end kicked trying to take on Gwyn's son. Welp.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 16, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I could use some Faith weapon tips. This Lightning Astora Greatsword +6 I made is hugely disappointing. I've been using the Deep Axe for pretty much the entire game, waiting for a good Faith weapon to drop, but there just don't seem to be any, no boss weapons with pure Faith scaling, nothing. Anyone know here I might find a few? I just beat the Dancer, the next area is kicking my rear end, send help!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Goddammit. I both love and hate the intricacies of all the NPC quests, but right now I just hate them. gently caress it, I'll do it in NG+ I guess. So there's no point in staying hollow now, huh? Goodbye, beef jerky.

Hollowing gives +luck if you're using a hollow infused weapon, otherwise yeah it does nothing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Platypus Farm posted:

She mentions him a couple times, the one I remember is that when she dies she says "Kaathe, I failed you..." or something like that, but obviously you only see that if you kill her so

I was kind of hoping for a boss fight with one of them, maybe in the DLC :(

Jay Rust posted:

I could use some Faith weapon tips. This Lightning Astora Greatsword +6 I made is hugely disappointing. I've been using the Deep Axe for pretty much the entire game, waiting for a good Faith weapon to drop, but there just don't seem to be any, no boss weapons with pure Faith scaling, nothing. Anyone know here I might find a few? I just beat the Dancer, the next area is kicking my rear end, send help!

Tried the Blessed infusion? Is it bad for damage?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
RANT POSTING INC

After two days of playing I love the game for almost all aspects.
But what I really hate is the lack of guidance. I finished the Cathedral and I am nonstop wandering around and looking for the "next" way to go. I am okay with all that try and error stuff and exploring is 50% of the fun for me, but FINALLY you should get some ingame hints, and I am not speaking about MMO quest arrows.
My playing timeframe of 2 hours today was almost completely wasted for the search of local progress. What am I supposed to do now? I even went back to Graveyard just in front of the Cathedreal area outside, the Halfway Fortress and Crucifixion Woods ...where is the path that I missed?

Oh and by the way, I posted that pic earlier:

When I explored the Cathedral again I found that funny looking Michelin-Man-Knight, and when I was on the other raised Pillar-Walkway stuff....on the middle of it he "drove" that down and telling me sth like "have fun with the giant"...which I already killed...he moaned and told me I had no honor..and then he disapperead.....so how do I re-raise this again, there is only the lever for that stuff I showed in the picture.

I do love me some difficult games where I have to work, and I know this is :darksouls: but the amount of stuff I might have already missed and the lack of area guidance just to run almost 2 hours around of clueless exploring because the Cathedral is SO loving BIG and obviously having missed the "next part" to continue the game makes me loving mad now. :ssj: I refuse to use the wiki or youtube guides and need this place for some Goons listening to my venting, thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 16, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a second bonfire in the catacombs? I always ran towards Woljnir from the abyss watchers bonfire because gently caress that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Did you get the weapon on the second story of the pontiff bonfire building? It scales with faith I'm not sure if it's good though