Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CJ posted:

As for the flashback thing, the guy who saved them looked like he had been fighting and his chest and face (the two identifying features for josuke besides his hair) were obscured in shadow. It's suspicious as gently caress and a bit of a chekov's gun, so it not going anywhere is kind of weird
I mean, it's a lil sus at first and I totally understand it raising some eyebrows but it literally only happens once and nothing ever happens again to make us doubt Josuke story so after that you're still thirsting for answers, i dunno what to tell you homie.

like I feel you're really missing the forest for the trees here and trying to look for in-story reasons of events happening rather than what that event means for the story which is way more interesting and meaningful

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

See, these are all reasonable posts, it's just something that sticks out in my mind like a splinter I can't shake.

I don't think anybody is wrong for liking Cheap Trick. As somebody who likes every fight in Part 3, I'm glad every fight in every part has its fans. I would never tell anybody to skip Cheap Trick, or that they're wrong for liking it. It's just something I've never fully been able to tune out.

I mean, it's not one of my favorite fights in part 4, and I can understand why it's kinda weird to parse taking into account the rules of Jojoverse. Cheap Trick is almost a self-sufficient being, contrary to almost any other Stand, and it just so happens to be a deadly weapon against Kira's enemies?

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's literally no way for them to find out who the parents are and the parents sure as hell don't know where their kid went since it straight up turned invisible. they might as well adopt the kid, being stand users who understand what's going on, instead of trying to advertise how they've found a baby that makes everything around it disappear.

Also the kid is fuckin' invisible, how would you even go about figuring out who her parents were? You can't really stamp a photo of that baby on a milk carton.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The loving flashback is just a flashback

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it was retconned to actually be josuke somehow saving himself then i feel that would lessen the impact it has on an overarching theme of the arc, that being 'morioh is full of kind people and being kind yourself is the way to go'.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cicadalek posted:

Why does Okuyasu have those lines on his face

Are they scars? Did his head get stuck in one of those ball return machines at a bowling alley?

Yes and I want to see it in an OVA.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Baal posted:

That being said if you don't like the Part 3 fights you're bad
I will defend every fight in Part 3 but I could understand someone being less than enthused with Dark Blue Moon, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, and maybe the Sun (the latter only because of how the anime dragged it out).

Personally, though, I like even those fights. Especially Dark Blue Moon, which has a lot of great stuff going on under the hood that might not be obvious your first time through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cheap Trick is good for having Rohan "Proudest man ever" looking and acting like a total dork.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I will defend every fight in Part 3 but I could understand someone being less than enthused with Dark Blue Moon, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, and maybe the Sun (the latter only because of how the anime dragged it out).

Personally, though, I like even those fights. Especially Dark Blue Moon, which has a lot of great stuff going on under the hood that might not be obvious your first time through.

No, you are not allowed to be unenthused about the Sun

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As9ScybYxKY

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Baal posted:

No, you are not allowed to be unenthused about the Sun
There are many people you and I must destroy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the anime pacing definitely didn't do some fights in SDC any favors, but even as someone who isn't the biggest fan of SDC i will say that it wouldn't be the same without those bits.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I liked The Sun in the anime more cause I actually cared about the minutiae of How Did They Actually Travel and What Life On The Road Is Like way more than anyone should and having half the episode be Joseph Joestar buying a car to trade for camels and then teaching the rest how to ride them was cool worldbuilding

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also please do not call this thread a hugbox when I am here and making everyone mad at me all of the time for various reasons

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Okuyasu has unlimited potential for accidentally hurting himself and I'd like to see him do it in a wide variety of places.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People have made google maps of The Steel Ball Run so you can actually sorta follow that path if you wanted and geopolitical conflicts aside, it'd be cool to do that for Part 3 if you ever really wanted to go to Egypt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm more than happy to accept new members in my "gently caress Kakyoin" club though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure there are many who would gently caress kakyoin

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
holly's already in it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

The loving flashback is just a flashback

Sure, but it also seemed like it was building up to something in a series where time powers are a massive thing. It does end up looking like a dropped plot point, but even if it were, it's not like it's exclusively an Araki thing - planting seeds for a possible story hook is a pretty common thing for a serialized piece of fiction to do. Is there an Araki Said (TM) about that, by the way?

The baby is just another little weird thing on Morioh, like the Possibly A Literal Alien. It would've been cool if she showed up in the future, but part 5 happens overseas and with almost no Joestar presence, and part 6 is part 6, ain't no time for invisible kids. It doesn't really matter if she disappears or not, she's already pretty...discreet as a Jojo thing (because she's invisible, get it?).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Sure, but it also seemed like it was building up to something in a series where time powers are a massive thing. It does end up looking like a dropped plot point, but even if it were, it's not like it's exclusively an Araki thing - planting seeds for a possible story hook is a pretty common thing for a serialized piece of fiction to do. Is there an Araki Said (TM) about that, by the way?

Araki drops plot threads, but that never particularly came off to me as a hook for time travel shenanigans because it was brought up once and only once. Like I can sort of see how people would get that impression, but saying it's a dropped plot thread is jumping to conclusions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One day I will make my big huge effort post about how every fight in Part 3 is good and you will all simply scroll past it because it'll be way too long, seriously, even if you wanted to meet me halfway or humor me cause I'm the mod, who cares about Part 3 this much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's me. I care.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

The baby is just another little weird thing on Morioh, like the Possibly A Literal Alien. It would've been cool if she showed up in the future, but part 5 happens overseas and with almost no Joestar presence, and part 6 is part 6, ain't no time for invisible kids. It doesn't really matter if she disappears or not, she's already pretty...discreet as a Jojo thing (because she's invisible, get it?).

Bear in mind that at the time of publication, " Final Boss Time Powers" weren't a massive thing, they weren't even a thing. Kira's time power is something that is added to his skillset after the the fact and the all final villains have time power stands is established from Kira onwards, rather than DIO, who was the first (DIO is the first and Kira makes it a trend.) You can sort of guess by this point that JoJolion's final boss is going to gently caress with time. You couldn't at the time of Diamond is Unbreakble's Rohan intro. (Kira wasn't introduced even by this point).

There's no Araki Said™ I've ever seen about the flashback. The closest you'll get is the voice actor for him in the anime but that's not much either. I hope it's Wataru Hatano.

When you're considering theories like these, it's important to consider your viewpoint. Are you considering it as someone with hindsight of the entire part and series' trends as a whole?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dias posted:

Was it really intentionally building to something though? We'll honestly never know, Araki may have placed it there with possible intention to expand on it, and the closest he ever did was Kira ability to reset time which in no way would get Josuke back twelve years ago. Aside from that, there was zilch. It can't really be building if you put a block down and never put anything on top of it. Also at the time, time powers had only come up once in the series with The World, so it's not like it was a classic Araki Japing Us Again With His Love For Time Manipulation Stands.

I've seen so many other people use that flashback as way to say Araki Is A Trash Writer Who Leaves So Many Plots On The Table And Everything Is Incomprehensible and man....sometimes a flashback explaining a character's ethos is just a flashback

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bad Seafood posted:

It didn't need to go anywhere.

The point of the flashback was it didn't matter what "Kind" of person he was, or how he'd chosen to live his life. Maybe he was a model student who got beat up. Maybe he was the one doing the beating up. Maybe he was a great guy or maybe he wasn't. His hair and clothes suggest he was probably a little rough and tumble, not someone "Respectable" by society's standards. Either way, he saw someone in need and he helped them. Josuke's earliest, most formative memory is being saved by the selflessness of a complete stranger. Subsequently, he grows up to be the kind of guy to pay things forward and helps people, and wears his hair in the same style as his hero. This goes without saying, but that nameless, faceless stranger was likely the closest thing Josuke had to a male role model in his life - there's his grandfather, sure, but I seriously doubt Josuke looked up to him in the same way he would a father figure (substitute).

It doesn't matter who that guy was because he could've been anybody. What matters is Josuke learned at a very young age the importance of selflessness and helping those around you.

Ok, but don't depict it in a way that makes it look like a setup for a payoff in a story that ends with a villain who can send people back in time.

Drawing it so his face is always in shadow with little detail and this panel where there is a heart shaped shadow obscuring his chest is just setting people up to be disappointed, or at least confusion due to a fridge moment when reflecting on it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Bear in mind that at the time of publication, " Final Boss Time Powers" weren't a massive thing, they weren't even a thing. Kira's time power is something that is added to his skillset after the the fact and the all final villains have time power stands is established from Kira onwards, rather than DIO, who was the first. You can sort of guess by this point that JoJolion's final boss is going to gently caress with time. You couldn't at the time of Diamond is Unbreakble's Rohan intro. (Kira wasn't introduced even by this point).

There's no Araki Said™ I've ever seen about the flashback. The closest you'll get is the voice actor for him in the anime but that's not much either. I hope it's Wataru Hatano.

Okay, massive is overstating it, but part 4 comes off the heels of both the main villain AND the protagonist in part 3 being able to manipulate time. I was kinda guessing there would be some time shenanigans again when I got to that part in the manga (keep in mind I wasn't aware of Diavolo or Pucci by then).

Baal posted:

Araki drops plot threads, but that never particularly came off to me as a hook for time travel shenanigans because it was brought up once and only once. Like I can sort of see how people would get that impression, but saying it's a dropped plot thread is jumping to conclusions.

Well, yeah, that's why it feels like a dropped thing to some people, it comes up once and never again. In hindsight, it was probably just a quick justification for Josuke's quirk, but I can't blame people for reading too much into it because, well...I sorta did.

Also Bad Seafood, I like the Sun fight. I understand. All Jojo fights are precious, even the ones that end with Jotaro fingerbanging people.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Except Araki didn't make it look like setup for payoff in a story about a villain who can send people back in time cause the villain wasn't introduced yet, there was zero context for the setup and Bites the Dust doesn't even send people back in time

If Kira had been introduced before Rohan and we saw him use Killer Queen to send a girl back in time and keep her hand then it would be foreshadowing.

I totally see why people instantly latch to the idea that Kira was going to send Josuke back in time, but I dunno, I feel that idea totally gets all the air deflated out of it when you look at the time in the story it happened and the themes is strengthens.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 16, 2016

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Or he drew it that way because it was loving night and Wee Tot Josuke couldn't see his face very well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Though there's no hard evidence of any of this, I kind of see DiU's flow in the same way I see Stardust Crusader's in regards to Kira's/DIO's power.

It's pretty apparent that Araki hadn't settled on DIO's Stand power at the beginning but once he had, he set it up with Shooting DIO!?. I don't think we'd have seen DIO's Hermit Purple at all had he decided that DIO can stop time at the beginning. I don't think he'd decided on Bites The Dust for Kira until he decided Kira needed a new set of tricks as a whole to make a final battle against him truly interesting. Bites the Dust and Stray Cat fit that bill. If he had settled on a time power for Kira from the very beginning, there'd probably have been hints of it during Sheer Heart Attack. I think that's also why Kira has a feeling of power creep and that Killer Queen has too much in his arsenal (I love KQ though, I wouldn't change a thing about it).

Basically: I don't really think time travel ever crossed Araki's mind because I'm not convinced he had settled on time travel for Kira at that point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Only one person in the world has a pompadour.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Only one person in the world has a pompadour.

Pompadours are extinct in the SBRverse then :( Unless Josuke's rocking one under his hat

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Josuke saving himself would ruin the entire point of that flashback. There was no particular detail on that dude because who he was did not matter in the slightest, so why bother designing a new character.

You may as well get mad we never saw the dude who inspired Giorno again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

BlitzBlast posted:

Josuke saving himself would ruin the entire point of that flashback. There was no particular detail on that dude because who he was did not matter in the slightest, so why bother designing a new character.

You may as well get mad we never saw the dude who inspired Giorno again.

my theory is that guy is Gold Experience Requiem.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hell if anything, it's important that we never find out who he was. Some random dude decided to ignore his own injuries to help out some complete strangers out of the goodness of his heart. That is far more impactful than Gangster McPompadour helping out some strangers because they reminded him of his past, or because he really liked pushing cars, or some other silly personal reason.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BlitzBlast posted:

Hell if anything, it's important that we never find out who he was. Some random dude decided to ignore his own injuries to help out some complete strangers out of the goodness of his heart. That is far more impactful than Gangster McPompadour helping out some strangers because they reminded him of his past, or because he really liked pushing cars, or some other silly personal reason.

Exactly. It's important he's just some random good samaritan who took it upon himself to help some total strangers.

So Josuke would go on to be inspired to also be the random good samaritan.

Josuke Is A Good Boy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alt Universe where DIO is the one who pushed his car out of the snow while palling around with some ladies when exactly???

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

It's me. I care.

Only if you do the Jonathan write-up first. :colbert:

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The guy in the flashback looking like Josuke is a visual metaphor more than anything.

He is the guy Josuke looks up to and aspires to be.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CJ posted:

heart shaped shadow

waht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Just finished SBR and holy poo poo I was not expecting ZA WARUDO at all.