Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The weakness here is you have to actually hit your wingmate, and he'll probably be flying quite evasively if his shields need a regen.

I really hope these things are just a nice little bonus, and they're not doubling down on the morepig route and creating a loving healer class. They already had to fix their health potions because of the effect they had on pvp, I can't imagine that will be any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Truga posted:

Uh, spider tank battleships pretty much require cap boosters I thought, which pretty much removes any staying power unless you have some hauler resupplying them.

I mean, I stopped playing like 5 years ago, maybe things changed, but that's how it was. :shrug:

You couldn't perma run them that's true, but my point was more along the lines of the healing being barely noticable for probably the same or even worse cap drain than regular beams, whereas spider tanking battleships tore through cap but could also heal huge amounts (though the cap boosters were more for neut protection)

I'm also imagining pythons setting themselves on fire with these things.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Also it appears that the next Beta is out the week of May 8th.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate
So 1.6 is the update-for-all half of the expansion, with the mission updates etc. Also they'll be releasing more info in the Friday newsletters and Thursday livestreams over the next few weeks.

I think the idea of the Engineers is dumb (gigantic interstellar civilisation has a handful of people who can tweak ships - they could have just decided to add actual variety to modules) but the missions to get access to them sound like they might be fun, and the ship improvements might actually be useful! Cautious optimism continues.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

The weakness here is you have to actually hit your wingmate, and he'll probably be flying quite evasively if his shields need a regen.

I really hope these things are just a nice little bonus, and they're not doubling down on the morepig route and creating a loving healer class. They already had to fix their health potions because of the effect they had on pvp, I can't imagine that will be any better.

Yeah, unless you can train turrets onto your wingmates, I don't really see this happening much. And even then, only big ships would use this with any real efficiency, smaller ones already need all the firepower they can get.

As for them creating a straight up healer class, they can just reduce the amount of shield healed if that happens. Spider tanks where you keep a guy alive long enough to kill one of their guys and turn the tide of battle are a neat gimmick when pulled off right. One guy healing the damage of 4 people is silly.

Astroniomix posted:

I'm also imagining pythons setting themselves on fire with these things.

Heatsinks are now the new cap boosters? :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My dream is that Elite Dangerous just starts ripping off everything from Space Rangers 2, which will make it the greatest game ever made.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shine posted:

My dream is that Elite Dangerous just starts ripping off everything from Space Rangers 2, which will make it the greatest game ever made.

Great, let's listen to our favorite song.

God I really need to finally get properly into SR2 sometime.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Truga posted:

Yeah, unless you can train turrets onto your wingmates, I don't really see this happening much.
The real question is how long it'll take them to fix space cops attacking you for healing them. Or maybe fining you a negative amount to match the "damage" you've done.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It only heals wingmates.

Do you regularly wing up with the space fuzz? Are you a community support viper pilot or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYxkZ9jTvk

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hello, lots of cool stuff in this week's newsletter

https://community.elitedangerous.com/newsletter120

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, the game is finally giving out actual damage numbers in outfitting?

Finally, I say.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Finally being able to see numbers! No longer can :frontear: hide the numbers behind guessing.

I do wonder if you can still use the discovery scanner as the navpoint will give you exploration data. If that's just to get the actual information instead of just 'okay here's the planets. You don't know what's on them' that will be useful, otherwise they would completely remove any reason to explore.

Seeing the other two modifications of thermal shock and force shell. It looks like some of these upgrades are for PvP purposes. When do NPCs care about Heat? When do they care about being forced off course a bit?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

Seeing the other two modifications of thermal shock and force shell. It looks like some of these upgrades are for PvP purposes. When do NPCs care about Heat? When do they care about being forced off course a bit?

NPCs in RES are already often flying dangerously close to rocks. I just hope that upgrade is also available for fragment cannons, I'd love to be able to shotgun someone into an obstacle/ground.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Did they not add crash sites on planet surfaces in the original Horizons release? I remember them demo'ing one on a livestream last year but haven't seen any evidence that they showed up in the launch build.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Drake_263 posted:

I was just about to post that.

Also, uh..

Healing lasers? :stare:

Like to point out specifically that this picture only mentions shields, not modules or hull repairs. I'm theorycrafting out how this works and I guess you'd have other ships in combat but all they do is fire their lasers to keep your shields up while maybe getting shot at themselves?

Truga posted:

Finally, I say.

Finally indeed. Looks great.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Truga posted:

Finally, I say.
And not just that! Seems like we are also getting a better interface for installing modules:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Gimbals for the new weapons confirmed. :unsmigghh:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

quote:

For those using smaller ships, in particular the Sidewinder, Faulcon de Lacey have introduced performance enhanced size 2 and 3 drives. Incredible fun for racing, they also give Commanders an extra bit of zip that can make all the difference in a dangerous encounter.

Iggle getting even faster?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
A faster Iggle will be fun as hell to do some canyon racing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

IAmTheRad posted:

A faster Iggle will be fun as hell to do some canyon racing redecorating.

Cockpit shrapnel is the new thing in style.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

I do wonder if you can still use the discovery scanner as the navpoint will give you exploration data. If that's just to get the actual information instead of just 'okay here's the planets. You don't know what's on them' that will be useful, otherwise they would completely remove any reason to explore.

Uh, no it wouldn't remove "any reason to explore", even if navpoints give out everything. Navpoints are only inside the bubble.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

Uh, no it wouldn't remove "any reason to explore", even if navpoints give out everything. Navpoints are only inside the bubble.
And I don't think they are even in all the inhabitated systems, just most of them.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Feel the burn.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Awesome! I've always wanted a heat gun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Shine posted:

Would unironically play text adventures all day

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I am insanely excited about not having to slap an AdDS on literally all of my ships just in case I go to a system I haven't visited yet. (In populated space obv.)

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Inverness posted:

Feel the burn.

Cooking lasers!

Gotta say I am loving the fact they seem to have finally designed something like an actual outfitting UI, and not just endless lists.

I might even be motivated enough to do something with 4+ weeks of Li Yong allegiance, and grab those pack-hound missiles as an option in the vague hope they become good.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Woah, so what causes this? It's a small moon orbiting very close to a high gravity planet making the moon's orbital speed really high?

For some reason I find that last last video irrationally terrifying with that planet moving like that. Whelp, apparently I have a phobia. Who knew?

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

Fishreds99 posted:

Exactly what we need. Even more unkillable ships.

It kind of coincides with combat logging and the rest of the bitches with no space bushido.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Finally a proper crafting system! Hopefully now the game can reach some more of the ever-lacking depth but have they said anything more specific like if it will be something really complex (a-la EVE) with raw ores, refined minerals, gas, ice, composite techs to be assembled in different facilities or just something (a-la NMS) like "pick some ironite cook it with some magic rusty dust and obtain blapcannons of doom"?

I suspect more like the latter but what do I know to have this little faith in :frontear: afterall? :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Finally a proper crafting system! Hopefully now the game can reach some more of the ever-lacking depth but have they said anything more specific like if it will be something really complex (a-la EVE) with raw ores, refined minerals, gas, ice, composite techs to be assembled in different facilities or just something (a-la NMS) like "pick some ironite cook it with some magic rusty dust and obtain blapcannons of doom"?

I suspect more like the latter but what do I know to have this little faith in :frontear: afterall? :shepface:

The sad thing is, I'm only interested in everything related to exploration, like better FSDs, so all those impressive pictures of new weapons leave me frustrated. I mean sure it's nice that other people can have more fun, but what about us explorers?

I guess business as usual for us. :shrug:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It would be cool if there were new light weight options, like the bulkheads and stuff where you equip it and it takes up space but makes your ship lighter for more jump range. I think Mechwarrior had stuff like that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Libluini posted:

The sad thing is, I'm only interested in everything related to exploration, like better FSDs, so all those impressive pictures of new weapons leave me frustrated. I mean sure it's nice that other people can have more fun, but what about us explorers?

As I recall, explorers were told to not go into deep space without weapons. Because nothing quite says exploring the unknown like being blown up by enemy craft some 30,000Ly from the Bubble.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Libluini posted:

I suspect that from the :frontear: 's perspecive they feel pretty fine having delivered you all those frack-illion airess rocky stones to land on. Hell people also paid 30-40bux for that, they're pretty drat sure all those explorers are still busy finding the next one :v:

By the way, anything about athmospheric flight or landing? They said it was coming during Horizon (this was before Horizon actual launch iirc).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

froody guy posted:

By the way, anything about athmospheric flight or landing? They said it was coming during Horizon (this was before Horizon actual launch iirc).
They did?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

As I recall, explorers were told to not go into deep space without weapons. Because nothing quite says exploring the unknown like being blown up by enemy craft some 30,000Ly from the Bubble.

Right. I still won't take some weird gimmicks like healing- or heat-phazors with me. :colbert:

Ah, I guess I can play the beta in May and find out for myself if coming back to the bubble will be worthwile or just a waste of time. :shrug:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

froody guy posted:

No.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

Woah, so what causes this? It's a small moon orbiting very close to a high gravity planet making the moon's orbital speed really high?

For some reason I find that last last video irrationally terrifying with that planet moving like that. Whelp, apparently I have a phobia. Who knew?

The system generator hosed up. It's not (TMK) possible for something to orbit that close to another planet without tidal forces ripping it apart.

It's the same reason there is a star near 63 G. Cap that looks like a loving disco ball.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Well, I didn't know that. I remember about the devs (Sammarco) talking in the livestream around November 2015 about athmospheric landing and climate events like storms, bolts, magma stuff that was coming later so I suppose I made up the part where it was "later during the season". That's quite disappoiting but also quite :frontear: -ish

Not to mention Thargoids. So duh guess we'll have to stick with funny-crafting system and better decent outfitting layout.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So Frontier is responsible if people misinterpret/mishear things about this game?

JFC :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So Frontier is responsible if people misinterpret/mishear things about this game?

JFC :psyduck:

No it's not. But it's not even that they went around saying "hey dudes, DO NOT expect atmospheric landing at all for the next 12-18 months. Don't be that guy nevah evah, ok? This is dusty and rocky Horizons not airy Horizons mright?"

Anyway, I wonder how they'll name the next season, Breath Taking Horizons? :parrot:

• Locked thread