Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Cf. reaction to portrayal of Mandalorians in Clone Wars cartoon.

That was mostly the Karen Traviss fanboys.

And Karen Traviss.

gently caress Karen Traviss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Threepio book is awesome :)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Best Droid is evil 3P0 aka 000 and a close second is evil R2D2 aka BT-1.

The 3P0 book raises some points like how looms droids last and how often they are wiped and reinstalled with the latest DroidOS. But it does a neat job to explain how a minor character across the prequels is useless for background info in the original trilogy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

The 3P0 book raises some points like how looms droids last and how often they are wiped and reinstalled with the latest DroidOS. But it does a neat job to explain how a minor character across the prequels is useless for background info in the original trilogy.

That's been a thing in Star Wars since the original movie; Owen wants Luke to wipe Artoo because he's (she? It?) too uppity.

It's good that they spelled it out here again for those who didn't know.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nystral posted:

000 is indeed fun but let's face it, it's hard not to shake the feeling it's just because Gillen was a big KotoR fan back in his games journo days and wanted to a way to write HK47.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sentinel Red posted:

000 is indeed fun but let's face it, it's hard not to shake the feeling it's just because Gillen was a big KotoR fan back in his games journo days and wanted to a way to write HK47.

Nothing wrong with well done homages.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Nothing wrong with well done homages.

Indeed not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's been a thing in Star Wars since the original movie; Owen wants Luke to wipe Artoo because he's (she? It?) too uppity.

It's good that they spelled it out here again for those who didn't know.

In the Clone Wars cartoon there's one episode where another pilot mentions that Anakin never wipes R2 and that's not normal.

Anakin presumably doesn't because they've been through some poo poo and it would be like killing a friend.

He only starts killing friends later.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
R2 is complicit in keeping the truth about anakin from Luke.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

site posted:

R2 is complicit in keeping the truth about anakin from Luke.

I am pretty sure they mention wiping them at the end of revenge of the sith.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They didn't wipe R2, only C3PO.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sentinel Red posted:

000 always strikes me as more of an homage to Creepio from Jedi Party than to HK47.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

cargohills posted:

They didn't wipe R2, only C3PO.

Or, hear me out, they did and r2-d2 isn't a bag of dicks that withholds important info.

gently caress the "R2-D2 is the only droid to never have been wiped." EU bullshit.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"Have the protocol droid's mind wiped" - Bail Organa, to Captain Antilles, in Revenge of the Sith

Here, I found this clip by searching "memory wipe star wars" on Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73E9WD5gi_I

cargohills fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 16, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

See? R2 is totally a bag of dicks, he laughs at his buddy being effectively killed.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

cargohills posted:

"Have the protocol droid's mind wiped" - Bail Organa, to Captain Antilles, in Revenge of the Sith

Here, I found this clip by searching "memory wipe star wars" on Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73E9WD5gi_I

I can't read that beeping by R2 as anything but gloating. Of course, he's nowhere near the most rear end in a top hat droid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Chopper is the straight rear end in a top hat

R2 is the "friendly" guy who actually relishes being a dick

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least Chopper doesn't pretend to be anything but an rear end in a top hat. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah tbh I was kinda upset that they brought that other droid onto the show at the end cuz I'm worried they're gonna change chopper's character from being just a straight jerk to everybody to only clowning on the other droid like r2 does, which will be much less fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I just read the C-3PO one-shot...and I liked the story in general, it really struck me as odd that he decided to keep the red arm as a memorial or tribute to the fallen droid friends...but then one of the first things he says about it in Episode VII was "I need to get a proper arm reattached..."

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
proper, as in one meant for him? That other one wasn't an exact fit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jivjov posted:

So I just read the C-3PO one-shot...and I liked the story in general, it really struck me as odd that he decided to keep the red arm as a memorial or tribute to the fallen droid friends...but then one of the first things he says about it in Episode VII was "I need to get a proper arm reattached..."

The evil of memory wipes continues.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rear end Catchcum posted:

proper, as in one meant for him? That other one wasn't an exact fit.

Yeah, if you notice at the big wide shot at the end of the movie as the falcon takes off, he's got a gold arm reattached that matches his body.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

The evil of memory wipes continues.
Maybe the meatbags were uncomfortable with him carrying around a murderdroid's arm as a tribute?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The evil robot could live on, though that arm.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We've all seen Idle Hands, right? We don't need Zombie Seth Green haunting Threepio.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
C-3PO's story being titled The Phantom Limb is just too much. Red left arms, Kojima and Abrams being buddies, now this? I love it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like a comic devoted to answering the question "Why does C-3PO have one red arm?" is something that would've invited a bit of a :rolleyes: if Dark Horse had published it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like a comic devoted to answering the question "Why does C-3PO have one red arm?" is something that would've invited a bit of a :rolleyes: if Dark Horse had published it.

Well it was a good story, which helps.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I think you greatly underestimated how many people did roll their eyes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen any bad reactions to it before this very internet page.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, I bet the reaction to the first EU comics/books were the same considering we are just repeating exactly what happened thirty years ago. People will sour once the honeymoon period is over. Personally I can't wait till we get out of the boring as poo poo early period.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not happened in this thread that I've seen, but one thing I have noticed regarding the new stuff is how focused readers seem to be on the fact that "It's canon now" as an intrinsically positive recommendation of the material. It's a weird obverse of the reaction we saw from hardcore EU fans whinging about how the old stuff was no longer canon and that apparently meant they couldn't enjoy it as much. It's weird. It's like people trying to push AoS as being a somehow crucial component of the MCU because they don't want to feel like they've wasted time on something that doesn't "matter". Why isn't it enough to enjoy it for what it is?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not happened in this thread that I've seen, but one thing I have noticed regarding the new stuff is how focused readers seem to be on the fact that "It's canon now" as an intrinsically positive recommendation of the material. It's a weird obverse of the reaction we saw from hardcore EU fans whinging about how the old stuff was no longer canon and that apparently meant they couldn't enjoy it as much. It's weird. It's like people trying to push AoS as being a somehow crucial component of the MCU because they don't want to feel like they've wasted time on something that doesn't "matter". Why isn't it enough to enjoy it for what it is?

The same company that makes the movies makes the comics now, I guess it feels a bit more authentic that way?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Aphrodite posted:

The same company that makes the movies makes the comics now, I guess it feels a bit more authentic that way?

The old stuff was always rubber stamped by Lucas Licensing, so it's not like having an overarching authority is new.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought it was pretty :rolleyes:

But I've always found C-3P0 to be boring and irritating

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy it for what it is.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, you're going to love this:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/04/19/star-wars-fans-plead-with-lucasfilm-for-more-expanded-universe-with-sanfran-billboard/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Picklepuss posted:

Oh, you're going to love this:

I am, I am! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I at least appreciate that that billboard calls for a continuation of Legends, not a cessation of Canon or reinstating Legends as Canon. They're at least realistic in their goals.