Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I usually do stonecutting->microelectronics. Gotta do something til I get the powergrid all set up to my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I would like to weigh on the previous Dwarf Fortress talk.

You don't really get to know any of your dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. Sure you might look at their profile once or twice, but do you actually pay attention to every single dwarf when you have over 50? You might use Dwarf Therapist or set their labors manually, but when they are so unremarkable you don't really get to know them. It's more like throw them in the army and if they die you have a free set of armor for the next dwarf. Or set yet another dwarf to replace that one job.

Rimworld on the other hand, your colonists are much more important, and memorable. You don't need to choose your favorite colonists, because they are all so important. You don't care if a dwarf heads to the tavern to drink or to the temple to pray to their deity. You might follow a couple of dwarves around, but overall they are very forgettable. You get to know your colonists much better. You can see what their moods are at a glance, and take methods to remedy that. You might see what your colonists do for fun, like if they want to play horseshoes, watch TV, watch the clouds, or just talk with a friend. They might go shooting at the archery range to improve their accuracy.

Rimworld is better at making stories about your colonists. Dwarf Fortress is more about the story of the Fortress itself.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I'm sorry your level of spectrum is too low to fully enjoy the one true game.

Also you can set follows on individual dwarves if one starts becoming notable, so that's you missing out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, my new colony setup is great. I have Bill and Choke, a pyromaniac redneck and a fat, bloodthirsty and brawling bartender. The space jockey navy engineer died when a building fell on her, but I trust the wargs will eat her before everyone gets too depressed about it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

IAmTheRad posted:

You don't really get to know any of your dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. Sure you might look at their profile once or twice, but do you actually pay attention to every single dwarf when you have over 50? Rimworld is better at making stories about your colonists. Dwarf Fortress is more about the story of the Fortress itself.

I tend to give them all the names of people I know + historical figures, so I tend to remember when Hitler and my neighbour are married.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I tend to treat all of my colonists as miserable disposable pawns anyway so it's not all that different to how I play dwarf fortress.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My dwarves are always nameless until they prove themselves, then I name them.

It's like where I live. I don't know anyones name unless I notice them doing something memorable, then I just assign them a mental nickname and notice them all the drat time.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

dogstile posted:

My dwarves are always nameless until they prove themselves, then I name them.

It's like where I live. I don't know anyones name unless I notice them doing something memorable, then I just assign them a mental nickname and notice them all the drat time.

You live in a magical world along with tight-shirt-no-bra-that-one-time, Crazy Fred, drive-thru-guy-with-a-mole and probably-Chad-because-he's-a-dick.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is there a way to have my dudes turn off lights when they leave a room and vice versa? Preferably not manually.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

vandalism posted:

Is there a way to have my dudes turn off lights when they leave a room and vice versa? Preferably not manually.

I was thinking about this, too, as plants seem to have a mandatory testing phase.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, unless there's a mod for that. I suggest putting down lights where pawns work and high traffic zones indoors. Ignore the places where pawns sleep and where they only occasionally travel to (like food storage).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

vandalism posted:

Not that I know of, but there is a mod that has light-sensitive switches, so that could give you a similar effect by, say, having your crafting areas set up to a daylight switch, and your bedrooms set up to a nighttime switch.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13400.0 It's the Expanded Power mod.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have been playing this game this weekend instead of Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, and the Division. Help. I fought for twenty minutes to heal my way through a malaria outbreak with three med kits and the only two survivors were mauled to death by a berserk cat

Is there any way to make components? I have been looking everywhere and I can't find anything. I have loads of steel but I am scraping together meager components out of the dirt.

IAmTheRad posted:

You don't really get to know any of your dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. Sure you might look at their profile once or twice, but do you actually pay attention to every single dwarf when you have over 50? You might use Dwarf Therapist or set their labors manually, but when they are so unremarkable you don't really get to know them. It's more like throw them in the army and if they die you have a free set of armor for the next dwarf. Or set yet another dwarf to replace that one job.

Rimworld on the other hand, your colonists are much more important, and memorable. You don't need to choose your favorite colonists, because they are all so important. You don't care if a dwarf heads to the tavern to drink or to the temple to pray to their deity. You might follow a couple of dwarves around, but overall they are very forgettable. You get to know your colonists much better. You can see what their moods are at a glance, and take methods to remedy that. You might see what your colonists do for fun, like if they want to play horseshoes, watch TV, watch the clouds, or just talk with a friend. They might go shooting at the archery range to improve their accuracy.

Rimworld is better at making stories about your colonists. Dwarf Fortress is more about the story of the Fortress itself.

It helps that you typically don't finish out a session of Rimworld with 100 colonists either. I could never keep track of the dwarves because they just flood in by the dozen.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2016

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there any way to make components? I have been looking everywhere and I can't find anything. I have loads of steel but I am scraping together meager components out of the dirt.

You can tech up to a component production table. I don't know the exact procedure, but it should be visible but grayed out in the research list.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
What dictates the location that caravans wait at when visiting your colony? Because right now they all stop right on my crop fields and their rear end in a top hat animals eat through all my crops.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Spaseman posted:

What dictates the location that caravans wait at when visiting your colony? Because right now they all stop right on my crop fields and their rear end in a top hat animals eat through all my crops.

I'd love to know this too, the assholes keep standing directly in the entranceway to my ice sheet base and let all the heat out. :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I see all these people with these free and loose buildings scattered around a friendly commune, they look so pretty. And then I go right back to making a drawf fortress of wood and steel with one entrance and no windows. Even my crops are inclosed with sun lamps for when winter comes

I am trying to install EdB Interface off of the Nexus download page but it is refusing to load, does it not work with the most recent release? E. Never mind, we're in version 13 not 12

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 17, 2016

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I keep restarting because I don't like my base or some outcome that happens. I hollowed out a big area and have 5 guys in there so far. Playing on rough is hard. Dudes getting funded up and going crazy. Just took out a psychic ship, so that shod help. Don't use any mods because I tried them and it made things slower. The seeds one was the worst but the guns ones were good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vandalism posted:

I keep restarting because I don't like my base or some outcome that happens. I hollowed out a big area and have 5 guys in there so far. Playing on rough is hard. Dudes getting funded up and going crazy. Just took out a psychic ship, so that shod help. Don't use any mods because I tried them and it made things slower. The seeds one was the worst but the guns ones were good.

Seeds mods are awful with blights being a thing.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Can anyone re-host the efficient lights mod? link's dead.

Edit: Thanks!

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 17, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pound_Coin posted:

Can anyone re-host the efficient lights mod? link's dead.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29439843/Rimworld/Efficient%20Light.rar

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, keep in mind that visitors now want to trade (right click on the one with an emanating question mark animation), and most bring a bunch of components for a reasonable price.

Also, components can be mined from the yellow ore, "compacted machinery".

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

vandalism posted:

There was a Common Core mod (I forget the name) that made advanced switches that could do things turn the lights on in a room that was occupied and off if not.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy god bugs are no joke. RIP that colony.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So long as it's somewhat contained in a room with a door, you can pop in and out to take potshots at the bugs until they die. They have animal AI where if they can't pathfind through a closed door, they forget entirely about getting shot in the first place!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sage Grimm posted:

So long as it's somewhat contained in a room with a door, you can pop in and out to take potshots at the bugs until they die. They have animal AI where if they can't pathfind through a closed door, they forget entirely about getting shot in the first place!

I will remember that for next time. I had heard about the horrors of bugs and so the only sub-mountain digging I did was an exit path to my secondary base location. They popped up right in the middle, so I figured I'd poke at them and then boom 3/5 of my dudes were dead.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I don't normally organ farm people, but my colony was in a bad way and needed some extras.

A funny social thing: Prisoners who are being organfarmed don't dislike their surgeons for doing so... unless they botch the surgery.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I have a dude living in my colony who is just about having the worst loving time ever. He came with his beloved pet labrador, which got eaten by a wild cougar. His sister showed up and managed to totally overshadow him with her beauty modifier. He kept getting into fights with other colonists who'd insult him, then he'd try to fight them and get his rear end kicked. His wife showed up in a drop pod, was rescued, and set to live with him... then she got torn to shreds by a bear.
Then his mother shows up. As a raider, who manages to beat his sister to a pulp and kidnap her.

This guy is going to turn into loving batman at this rate.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

I am sick and tired of these goddamned tribals. They need to learn to :fuckoff: already. Two years of raids and they all either die or are captured without even getting into my center keep. Real smart, keep on throwing men into the meatgrinder :thumbsup:

This last raid i managed to capture a handful of them. Two aren't horribly maimed so I can brainwash them into compliance...I need more primitives to pick cotton and haul potatoes anyway. The rest have shredded legs, torsos, faces, etc...but they have good organs, and I need to recoup my losses from the dozens of turrets these assholes have broken. So I'm gonna throw em on the ground and harvest what I can from them. If they survive all that, the heart is next. Never know when you need a fresh ticker. The corpse can then go to my boneyard where it can dessicate in the sun.

This game is making me a bad person :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm glad that researching apparently can be done with your feet because I have a guy with no arms that can still pump out the research while others are doing things productive.

Cold snaps are killing me though, I really need to spread more heaters around the place. Everyone comes back from a siege with gunshot wounds, which get infected, and now I'm fighting widespread infection while all the rooms are at 2 degrees.

Minarchist posted:

I am sick and tired of these goddamned tribals. They need to learn to :fuckoff: already. Two years of raids and they all either die or are captured without even getting into my center keep. Real smart, keep on throwing men into the meatgrinder :thumbsup:

This last raid i managed to capture a handful of them. Two aren't horribly maimed so I can brainwash them into compliance...I need more primitives to pick cotton and haul potatoes anyway. The rest have shredded legs, torsos, faces, etc...but they have good organs, and I need to recoup my losses from the dozens of turrets these assholes have broken. So I'm gonna throw em on the ground and harvest what I can from them. If they survive all that, the heart is next. Never know when you need a fresh ticker. The corpse can then go to my boneyard where it can dessicate in the sun.

This game is making me a bad person :ohdear:

I really need to adjust my turret deathtrap just for these guys, I swear that their bows have more range and damage than most sniper rifles.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm glad that researching apparently can be done with your feet because I have a guy with no arms that can still pump out the research while others are doing things productive.

Cold snaps are killing me though, I really need to spread more heaters around the place. Everyone comes back from a siege with gunshot wounds, which get infected, and now I'm fighting widespread infection while all the rooms are at 2 degrees.

I really need to adjust my turret deathtrap just for these guys, I swear that their bows have more range and damage than most sniper rifles.

I really want to know how a bowman can somehow win against an automatic turret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdD6xntwlKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXONp8Q3KGY

If he can do it, people in 5500AD can figure out turrets that aren't complete trash. 3 rounds before it overheats :frogout:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Mike, cool turret but I don't see where the chamber is on the barrel, it just kind of spits out the bullets"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you know how guns usually spit out the brass and power out of the little hole at the top?"

"OH, I forgot about that."

"...so the scalding hot brass is just falling into the body of the machine onto all that wiring and circuit boards?"

"Yah"

"Mike, you don't get to build things anymore"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

PRO-TIP make the cubby holes you have your turrets in either roofed over or entirely dark if inside a room. Single biggest modifier towards not getting hit.

Inversely make everywhere else lit up so your turrets have no trouble hitting targets.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sage Grimm posted:

PRO-TIP make the cubby holes you have your turrets in either roofed over or entirely dark if inside a room. Single biggest modifier towards not getting hit.

Inversely make everywhere else lit up so your turrets have no trouble hitting targets.

I had no idea this would affect the hit chance. Turns out, the Normandy defense is the best defense.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Similarly if you have a melee force of Brawlers, build a roofed dark area to funnel invaders into, the Brawler to-hit bonus offsets the penalty for darkness very well. I actually like to do this and not use ranged weapons at all, except for Mechanoids which are dumb it works really well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Can I put a roof on a c-shaped piece of wall? I thought it had to be enclosed?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can I put a roof on a c-shaped piece of wall? I thought it had to be enclosed?

It does, but you can knock down the fourth wall afterwards and the roof will stay there as long as it's supported.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Minarchist posted:

if you don't want to recruit a tribal the best thing to do is patch them up and set them free, it provides a relations boost and eventually they'll stop hating you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you don't want to recruit a tribal the best thing to do is patch them up and set them free, it provides a relations boost and eventually they'll stop hating you

At +15 per survivor it's a pretty decent bonus too. I always make a point to rescue any random trader that gets beaten up during social disputes in my base as well, free faction bump for the inevitable arrest.

Hell, if you aren't 100% set on killing them, slap on two peg legs and set them free after harvesting everything non-fatal and you still get +15 when they hobble off.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

And really "patch them up" means the minimal amount of medical care necessary to allow them to walk to the edge of the map. And I mean minimal. I once captured a tribal dude and blew his leg and an arm off. I was going to use him for an organ harvest, but he got an infection, so I quickly slapped a pegleg on him and ushered him out the door. Due to the pegleg and massive blood loss it took him a whole day to get to the edge of the map and I was just praying the infection didn't take him before he made it.