Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Fuzzkill built something pretty similar, and now he's working on a loving rad Datusn in it.

I would love to work on a Datsun in this garage. You know where I'm at (inside the other garage on the property, working on the Celica).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I'm in AI all the time. Love all those sweet garages. I like the spyder's a lot too

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Does this mean we'll get to see some sweet sweet Coronet action in the nearish future? Super jealous of these shops popping up. I wish I had the land... and the money.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Does this mean we'll get to see some sweet sweet Coronet action in the nearish future? Super jealous of these shops popping up. I wish I had the land... and the money.

That is pretty well the primary reason I am building this. The coronet is great to work on, but it's such an awesome shelf it takes me an hour to excavate it to work on it, and then another hour to re-bury it so I can close the door :smith:

The hole is complete, I think.

They managed to not break the drainpipe my neighbour installed last year!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would love to work on a Datsun in this garage. You know where I'm at (inside the other garage on the property, working on the Celica).

Yeah, I'm stuck living vicariously through all the people with cool rear end projects because I'm stuck in a 800 square foot apartment for another year or two at least.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I'm stuck living vicariously through all the people with cool rear end projects because I'm stuck in a 800 square foot apartment for another year or two at least.

whatup, dreaming-of-house-but-stuck-in-apartment buddy! :smith::hf::manning:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I was right, the hole is complete, because the footings went in today.

That's a lot of forming crib.

:mmmhmm:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat these guys are motoring.

Frost walls got formed and poured today.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
What's the deal with frost walls? Where I'm living (Australia) they're worried about getting ~50cm of brickwork above the ground to prevent white ants (termites). You've got to have "ant caps" on top of all the brickwork and all sorts of extra stuff I'm not totally clued in to. I helped a friend with a couple of renovation jobs and it struck me how hardcore certain things are. Here they seem totally focused on two things: Insects and Fire. I guess they are the big threats. Just wondering how frost is a threat? I understand you're seeing temperatures we certainly won't. I also don't see how far that boat will get you when you put it in that swimming pool

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slothrop posted:

What's the deal with frost walls? Where I'm living (Australia) they're worried about getting ~50cm of brickwork above the ground to prevent white ants (termites). You've got to have "ant caps" on top of all the brickwork and all sorts of extra stuff I'm not totally clued in to. I helped a friend with a couple of renovation jobs and it struck me how hardcore certain things are. Here they seem totally focused on two things: Insects and Fire. I guess they are the big threats. Just wondering how frost is a threat? I understand you're seeing temperatures we certainly won't. I also don't see how far that boat will get you when you put it in that swimming pool

As ground water freezes, as frost, it expands a significant amount. Since we have a fair bit of ground water here, and regular sub zero temperatures, frost is a common occurrence.

This expansion and contraction during the freeze/thaw cycle causes the soil to act like a hydraulic lift for anything in the soil. You may have noticed some frustration on my part about how the dirt here likes to grow stones, frost makes them pop up out of the dirt every spring.

This lifting action includes things like nice level cement floors that, thanks to a minor temperature fluctuation, is now four centimeters higher in the East corner than the rest of the building.

Frost walls prevent this shifting by setting a solid footing well under the frost line, anchoring the walls in stable soil.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh man, the Slung Blade homesteading thread is back from the dead. Exciting!

I learned from another AI garage thread (adiabatic's) that if your garage door isn't tall.enough, you'll regret it (can't drive a tall converted van in through a door that is shorter even with the air let out of the tires).

Also you want a way to avoid driving through mud right before entry or you'll always have a filthy floor during the spring and fall. Are you pouring or laying down a driveway?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Oh man, the Slung Blade homesteading thread is back from the dead. Exciting!

I learned from another AI garage thread (adiabatic's) that if your garage door isn't tall.enough, you'll regret it (can't drive a tall converted van in through a door that is shorter even with the air let out of the tires).

Also you want a way to avoid driving through mud right before entry or you'll always have a filthy floor during the spring and fall. Are you pouring or laying down a driveway?

Doors are going to be 10x10', hopefully that's good enough. Ceiling is 12, and the door openers are going to be side mount, so I could put one of them up maybe to 11', but it didn't really seem worth it to pay the extra for a non standard door size to only get another foot. How tall is the red hot American vantasy anyway?

I'm getting the driveway extended around the back of the house, so it'll be gravel and sand like my existing driveway out front. I'd like to have an all cement driveway, but since the approaches into town are all unpaved, it won't help much with keeping gravel mud out :/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

This lifting action includes things like nice level cement floors that, thanks to a minor temperature fluctuation, is now four centimeters higher in the East corner than the rest of the building.

Frost walls prevent this shifting by setting a solid footing well under the frost line, anchoring the walls in stable soil.

We also do this with fences for the same reason, posts should be driven below the frost line otherwise weird poo poo happens in the spring.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I met my builder after work. We laid the gas pipe into the trench ourselves and taped on the tracer wire. Saved a fair bit of money for 20 minutes work.

Not much else happened today, but the walls had set enough for the cribbers to peel the forms off.

They'll cure some more over the weekend, probably get sealed with spray-on asphalt on Monday, and the electrical gets laid in on Monday as well. Maybe the back-fill will start mid next week, we shall see if that happens or not. My neighbour said he could get me some clean fill, that'll be a big help.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Slung Blade posted:

I met my builder after work. We laid the gas pipe into the trench ourselves and taped on the tracer wire. Saved a fair bit of money for 20 minutes work.

I know nothing about building, but as a gardener, make sure you clearly mark where that gas pipe is. Five years from now you might think "wow this is the perfect spot for a fruit tree." And then your shovel or whatever tool goes through a gas pipe.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I know nothing about building, but as a gardener, make sure you clearly mark where that gas pipe is. Five years from now you might think "wow this is the perfect spot for a fruit tree." And then your shovel or whatever tool goes through a gas pipe.

That's what the tracer wire is for. It's there so that you can use a metal detector to figure out where the buried pipe is, even if the pipe itself is non-metallic.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

thats also why it looks like the things about 600mm+ down. If your digging down that far to plant a fruit tree...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slung Blade posted:

As ground water freezes, as frost, it expands a significant amount. Since we have a fair bit of ground water here, and regular sub zero temperatures, frost is a common occurrence.

This expansion and contraction during the freeze/thaw cycle causes the soil to act like a hydraulic lift for anything in the soil. You may have noticed some frustration on my part about how the dirt here likes to grow stones, frost makes them pop up out of the dirt every spring.

Alternative methods is to excavate and replace the topsoil with draining gravel and a french drain system to lead water away. You can also add underground slabs of insulation that extend around the foundations if you don't want to dig them down as far. What I am doing for my future shed, though my house and heated garage also utilize both of these principles. Frost depth otherwise is around 180-190cm.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Doors are going to be 10x10', hopefully that's good enough. Ceiling is 12, and the door openers are going to be side mount, so I could put one of them up maybe to 11', but it didn't really seem worth it to pay the extra for a non standard door size to only get another foot. How tall is the red hot American vantasy anyway?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post455024051

I don't know if we have an exact measurement, but it was too tall by probably a foot, per that post. I think Adiabatic tried letting out the air in the tires and that still wasn't nearly enough.

It's an enormous van and I'm sure you won't own one like that, I just figured now was the time to think about it rather than later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post455024051

I don't know if we have an exact measurement, but it was too tall by probably a foot, per that post. I think Adiabatic tried letting out the air in the tires and that still wasn't nearly enough.

It's an enormous van and I'm sure you won't own one like that, I just figured now was the time to think about it rather than later.

When ABAI owns a conversion van we will just use old railroad track to build a sliding rotisserie. Load the van in sideways, push it into the restoration bay.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When ABAI owns a conversion van we will just use old railroad track to build a sliding rotisserie. Load the van in sideways, push it into the restoration bay.

Won't work, doors are 10' squares. However, I'm sure I could cut a hole in the back of the building if I had to. Not that it would get us much, ceiling is 12'.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Alternative methods is to excavate and replace the topsoil with draining gravel and a french drain system to lead water away. You can also add underground slabs of insulation that extend around the foundations if you don't want to dig them down as far. What I am doing for my future shed, though my house and heated garage also utilize both of these principles. Frost depth otherwise is around 180-190cm.

Possible, though I don't think that meets county building codes here. Also I like having deep foundation walls because it's so loving windy here. If the building gets away from its anchors, at least I can rebuild on the existing cement :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Backfill and grading is done for now.

The gas line is being pressure tested (has been for a few days now, I guess it's good enough to bury). The electrical lines were placed as well, and a hole was drilled in the house foundation to tie into the main panel.

Next step is framing, then the roof goes on. Once the shingles are in place my builder can pour the floor.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Floating pad or tied to the foundation?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DreadLlama posted:

Floating pad or tied to the foundation?

Good question, I haven't asked. I'll find out.

I'm assuming it's floating, since there isn't any rebar hanging out of the wall to tie into, but I don't know.

E: turns out they're going to tie it in. Holes will get drilled in the walls and rebar applied as necessary.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 22, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that a sailboat in picture 2 there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Whatever it is, it sucks to push around the yard.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, belongs to my friend. I store it over winter in exchange for beer. I get to go sailing on it once in a while as well.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's happening on the criminal former mayor front? Not sure I understand the premise that him paying it back is fine. In the US he'd pay it back, plus a poo poo load of fines, plus probably go to prison for a while.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

hayden. posted:

What's happening on the criminal former mayor front? Not sure I understand the premise that him paying it back is fine. In the US he'd pay it back, plus a poo poo load of fines, plus probably go to prison for a while.

Ex-treasurer, and it was a her.

Nothing really happening, she and her family left town after she paid us back. RCMP decided it wasn't worth pressing charges since restitution had been made, and we (the council) didn't want to either, to avoid spending weeks in court for no benefit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Framing material got delivered last week.

Buddy grabbed his boat on Saturday, and framing began today.

WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION, WE DON'T NEED NO THOUGHT CONTROL

HEY, TEACHER. LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE.

I imagine they'll be done framing tomorrow, given their awesome progress today.

The Celica project proceeds nicely, I worked on it all weekend and until 9:30 tonight after work. I am loving beat.
Trans Mountain to Tidewater Rally 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

The Celica project proceeds nicely, I worked on it all weekend and until 9:30 tonight after work. I am loving beat.
Trans Mountain to Tidewater Rally 2016

Garage looks cool but holy poo poo the rally is amazing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

Garage looks cool but holy poo poo the rally is amazing.

It's gonna be super fun, I can't fuckin wait.

So I got the car back on the ground, not without some problems though.

But hey! Framing's done!

(still needs the plywood sheeting on the roof)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As someone who has been building a 400-square-foot workshop in his back yard, off and on, for over a year now, the difference between what I can accomplish on my own and what a group of skilled (and paid) professionals can accomplish is...stark. Maybe not depressing really, but sheesh these things go up fast when you can just throw money at the problem.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Am I missing something or is the floor just dirt?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
It's common to pour the concrete floor at the end of construction I think.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Magnus Praeda posted:

Am I missing something or is the floor just dirt?

The cement pad doesn't get poured until the roof is shingled.

For a nicely finished surface, they want a controlled environment, and it'll help keep birds and poo poo off of the wet concrete.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Slung Blade posted:

The cement pad doesn't get poured until the roof is shingled.

For a nicely finished surface, they want a controlled environment, and it'll help keep birds and poo poo off of the wet concrete.

:eng101: The more you know, apparently. That makes total sense, it just never would have occurred to me.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As someone who has been building a 400-square-foot workshop in his back yard, off and on, for over a year now, the difference between what I can accomplish on my own and what a group of skilled (and paid) professionals can accomplish is...stark. Maybe not depressing really, but sheesh these things go up fast when you can just throw money at the problem.

Yeah I wish I had the time/patience to build this myself, but I have the resources and I vastly prefer spending my extremely limited time on iron and cars. Keep in mind, these guys work in crews and you can accomplish a ton with a partner that takes ages solo. So don't be discouraged!

Magnus Praeda posted:

:eng101: The more you know, apparently. That makes total sense, it just never would have occurred to me.

Yeah, this time of year it's not strictly necessary, but in winter they really need to be able to throw heat at the cement to let it set. A roof and walls really helps with that. So it's kind of tradition I guess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Two together can do the work of three alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I wish I had the time/patience to build this myself, but I have the resources and I vastly prefer spending my extremely limited time on iron and cars. Keep in mind, these guys work in crews and you can accomplish a ton with a partner that takes ages solo. So don't be discouraged!

I'm not so much discouraged as I am somewhat regretting not getting some assistance. When I started this project last February, I thought I'd have it done by October -- I could probably have made that target if I'd spent 2-3 hours a day on it almost every day, instead of spending about 1.5 days/week on it. Or maybe I would have sawed my arm off in a state of extreme fatigue, who knows.

But on the plus side, I did literally everything on this project myself except for a) the foundation (a concrete slab, ha ha ha I know better than to try that solo), b) materials delivery, and c) lifting some of the wall panels into their upright positions.

EDIT:

Splizwarf posted:

Two together can do the work of three alone.

Man, ain't that the truth. The amount of time I spent setting up jigs to hold things in place, walking back and forth between my saw and the installation site, measuring and re-measuring, etc. that could have been cut down by just having a partner is pretty huge. And then there's poo poo like lifting a 60-pound plywood sheet up onto the roof...