Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nasgate posted:

considering FO3 doesn't even work in W8 or 10, it'd be hard to be less playable.

This information needs to stop. I play Fallout 3 on Win 8.1 64 bit just fine. There is an INI tweak that is absolutely critical to making it work, and then it runs like a dream. The tweak is on the steam forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So I'm trying to make an arena in Starlight, in which captured enemies fight to the death, but they keep shooting at my audience of settlers and the settlers shoot back. Anybody know how to keep that from happening? The beta wave emitter only works on animals.

chaosapiant posted:

This information needs to stop. I play Fallout 3 on Win 8.1 64 bit just fine. There is an INI tweak that is absolutely critical to making it work, and then it runs like a dream. The tweak is on the steam forums.

You can also run it in compatibility mode for Vista, that's always worked for me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't need to do anything special for Windows 8. I just downloaded it on steam on sale a while ago and it ran vanilla just fine for a whole playthrough.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A critical based pistol build seems absurd based on what i've been playing of it so far. You can get Righteous Authority with a minimum of effort and mod it into a pistol, then you can stack the critical boosting weapon mod on top of it's legendary effect and then add in perks. It absolutely destroys, even on Survival. You can also make it a sniper pistol because VATS always hits at full force even with the sniper barrel, so you've got high rate of fire, really long range, great accuracy, high damage, and massive critical boosts all on a gun that takes an incredibly common ammo type. Outside of getting a Lucky plasma pistol or something, you're pretty much set for the entire game with it.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Wait, are laser pistols and laser rifles only differentiated by the mods? They're the same base?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CaptainJuan posted:

Wait, are laser pistols and laser rifles only differentiated by the mods? They're the same base?

Yeah. Plasma and pipe guns work the same way.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Filthy Monkey posted:

Trying the survival beta. Codsworth went down to some mirelurks. I have a little map marker to go and revive him with a stimpack, but I can't seem to interact with him in any way.

How can you stimpack a robot anyway? Is it a bug, or am I just doing something wrong?

This was a pain in the rear end for me, as well. If you have Automatron installed, Codsworth can only be healed via a Robot healing thing. The catch is, you probably won't find any of those for awhile, but Codsworth can easily be your first companion.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

With the Wasteland Workshop DLC, if I want to make a Gunner and a Raider fight after I release them from their cages, will the "Quitting Time Siren" keep them from shooting me and my settlers and vice-versa? I just want any caged enemies, human or creature, to only be aggro toward other caged enemies.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Can I just say how lame it is that Sandman and Robotic Expert-Self Destruct kills give no XP.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shakenbaker posted:

Ballistic weave should work on anything. Like why can't I duct tape it to my power armor for a DR boost? Hell some of the duct tape has the weave in it already :argh:

Ballistic weave on everything was the first mod I downloaded and thought "Why isn't this a base feature"?

Power armor relay grenade was the second.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

It's a true statement though. As you said, the user has to mess with the files to make it playable. If you're messing with the ini files(which didnt fix it for me btw) then you might as well install a mod that makes the gameplay better.

Still debateable if the game is playable vanilla, because lmao it's Bethesda's worst game by far. But that's in the realm of opinion.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Having played a lot (almost 200 hours) of Fallout 4 at launch, then dropping it completely, I've picked it back up now the DLCs are out. Currently I'm running around just discovering poo poo on the map, which is really fun because previously I just fast travelled and found things based on quests. However, I've noticed that there are lots more power armour suits about than I remember. It seems like every "major" road has a destroyed military convoy with a power suit in it. Have one of the DLCs (presumably the robot one because they all seem to be guarded by Mr Handy's) added these in?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

EvilHawk posted:

Having played a lot (almost 200 hours) of Fallout 4 at launch, then dropping it completely, I've picked it back up now the DLCs are out. Currently I'm running around just discovering poo poo on the map, which is really fun because previously I just fast travelled and found things based on quests. However, I've noticed that there are lots more power armour suits about than I remember. It seems like every "major" road has a destroyed military convoy with a power suit in it. Have one of the DLCs (presumably the robot one because they all seem to be guarded by Mr Handy's) added these in?

No DLC. Their spawn is determined by level tough.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Even though I have about a dozen suits of power armor, it's always a joy to find one out in the wild. It's like a barn find!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Danith posted:

So what's a good survival mode build? My strategy of randomly picking stats and perks doesn't seem to be working that well
I am hardly a fallout expert, but so far my strategy of 'shoot things with spray and pray' has been very effective. I am still pretty squishy, as I don't have good armor yet, but spray and pray is definitely good at taking down enemies quickly.

I did get more strength than I normally would, and picked up the first two strong back perks. Will also open up steady aim once I get the bobblehead, which sounds nice as I am not really a vats build.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nasgate posted:

It's a true statement though. As you said, the user has to mess with the files to make it playable. If you're messing with the ini files(which didnt fix it for me btw) then you might as well install a mod that makes the gameplay better.

Still debateable if the game is playable vanilla, because lmao it's Bethesda's worst game by far. But that's in the realm of opinion.

It's ok if you're too stupid to get programs to run that other people can work just fine. However, if you use that as a reason to claim that it doesn't work period it misleads other, more capable people.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rakthar posted:

It's ok if you're too stupid to get programs to run that other people can work just fine. However, if you use that as a reason to claim that it doesn't work period it misleads other, more capable people.

Haha if you need to actually edit the games files to get it to work, then it's completely fair and accurate to say it doesn't work. Jesus, PC gaming.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

marktheando posted:

Haha if you need to actually edit the games files to get it to work, then it's completely fair and accurate to say it doesn't work. Jesus, PC gaming.

Altering one .ini file is baby's first PC lesson.
Most of us grew up in a time where you had to do that to change screen resolution so you're just being needlessly obtuse.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Let me tell you about something called "Autoexec.bat", sonny!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

marktheando posted:

Sounds like a mac user :smugdog:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

Sounds like a mac user :smugdog:

Hell yeah I do.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

marktheando posted:

Hell yeah I do.

"It just works!"
*Has 1% the library of PC*

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Altering one .ini file is baby's first PC lesson.
Most of us grew up in a time where you had to do that to change screen resolution so you're just being needlessly obtuse.

We don't live in that time anymore, and if it doesn't work right out of the box than it is fair to tell people that it doesn't work right out of the box.

And, really, resolution is sort of a different beast than 'refuses to run'. I'm one of those with Fallout 3 and Windows 10, and no amount of loving around with anything made the game run for me outside of TTW.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Not really sure you have room to call people stupid with the critical reading skills of a third grader.

Re:survival get a hunting rifle and kill radstags, that bonus 25 carryweight is a godsend

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

if it's really as easy as just editing an .ini file for Fallout 3, and Bethesda hasn't pushed a 23kb patch to change that .ini file so it works on modern systems, it doesn't work out of the box.

But it's not that easy, because there's all these other reasons it might not work, too

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

marktheando posted:

Hell yeah I do.

As someone who released a game (that wasn't very good) and supported Mac, PC and Linux. of my ~150k sales, around 1.4% were linux, 2.5 Mac, and 97.1% PC, yet Mac took 45% of my combined customer support time, I will NEVER support Mac or Linux again, it's just not worth it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

:gary:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Magmarashi posted:

We don't live in that time anymore, and if it doesn't work right out of the box than it is fair to tell people that it doesn't work right out of the box.

And, really, resolution is sort of a different beast than 'refuses to run'. I'm one of those with Fallout 3 and Windows 10, and no amount of loving around with anything made the game run for me outside of TTW.

It worked out of the box on Windows 8 for me. And lol at calling it a poo poo game because it didn't work for you on operating systems released 4 and 7 years after the game came out.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Volkerball posted:

It worked out of the box on Windows 8 for me. And lol at calling it a poo poo game because it didn't work for you on operating systems released 4 and 7 years after the game came out.

I didn't?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Fallout 3 was a poo poo game when it released, it has nothing to do with the terrible combination of windows development and Bethesda coding. That's just icing on the cake.

In other news, via a combination of mods, I made a zeon-esque pilot suit and am piloting a green zaku t-45.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gaming is big enough now that if a grandma can't install it, you need to go back to the drawing board.

I liked FO3 a lot at the time and still hold fond memories of it. I can say the same about Morrowind of course, and I don't have plans to go back and play either anytime soon for a good reason

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My grandma knows how to ini tweak maybe you need to get a better grandma

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My grandma is Mr. Nintendo and for my birthday she gave me all the cheat codes to Sonic.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My grandma is so hardcore she bakes cookies without baking soda.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonkish posted:

My grandma is so hardcore she bakes cookies without baking soda.

my grandma doesn't even bake her cookies

they're called no bake cookies and you may not have heard of them yet but they're gonna be huge

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My grandma can see the future through the use of powerful and unregulated narcotics.

Some rear end in a top hat came by and dumped a suitcase of drugs in her pocket.

RIP in peace Spooky Grandma.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Volkerball posted:

My favorite ballistic weave bullshit is that the clean gray suit and the dirty black suit are compatible, but the clean black suit is a no go. lol. Who the gently caress decided that, bethesda?

The clean black suit is bugged. You're supposed to be able to weave it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for more interesting ways of playing the game, now that I've played through a number of times.

I did an explosives only playthrough. I did a no-kill playthrough, which was a lot of fun since it's so radically different from anything you normally do.

My current ideas are:

1. A kill everything playthrough. Your character is a homicidal maniac who tries to kill everything that moves. Animals, people, synths, bots, turrets, everything. As I understand it, you can't kill the minutemen, which means you could still finish the game through the minutemen quest line.. The primary restriction is: you must kill everything you see immediately, other than the few times you need to let someone live long enough to win over a settlement for the minutemen(otherwise, you'd be trapped in an endless cycle of failing preston garvey quests). This means no buying or selling anything through vendors, as you must kill them. The only quests ever completed will be main story quests, assuming this playstyle doesn't break the game.

2. A cowardly junkie playthrough. VATS does not exist, and you will only fight when on Jet, or psychojet, or buffjet. You'll be in bullet time in every fight. All your money will go to buy drugs and ingredients to make them.

Any other ideas?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
2. sounds like the normal easy playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmatic
Apr 14, 2008
3. Play on very easy, naked, as an old lady, and use nothing but a rolling pin.

• Locked thread