Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A $30 quick read thermometer changed my dinners forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah i just eye steaks and chicken breasts but a quick-read is a gamechanger for like roasts and stuff. keep an eye on things and take it out as soon as that middle gets up to temp.

plus my steaks are generally of the 1" grocery store variety, on the rare occasion i get thick high-quality meat you bet your rear end i'm measuring it so i don't overcook that beauty.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Same here. If I fry or broil cut-up chicken or grill a steak or pork chops I just eyeball it but I use a probe thermometer any time I'm doing a whole bird or a beef roast. Especially smoking poultry, smoked birds always look raw even when they're almost overcooked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found some actual real wasabi. The internet says I should keep it wrapped in a damp paper towel in the fridge. Can it also be frozen?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I found some actual real wasabi. The internet says I should keep it wrapped in a damp paper towel in the fridge. Can it also be frozen?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=319229

Almost impossible to find an answer, literally the only answer I could find:

quote:

Fresh wasabi should never be frozen. ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One random dude on the internet. Well, I guess I'll freeze a bit and see what happens to it, I'll report back when I try it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

One random dude on the internet. Well, I guess I'll freeze a bit and see what happens to it, I'll report back when I try it.

Please do. I can't imagine any reason for freezing being bad for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
According to http://www.yamamotofoods.co.jp/wasabi you can grind it, spread it in a thin layer on plastic wrap and then freeze. Pound lightly with the back of a knife and add a dash of sugar before serving to make it spicier (I haven't tried this, that's just what it says).

Another thing on the internet says that once you take it out of the freezer you have to use it. Refreezing it kills the taste almost entirely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep ginger in the freezer and I just grate it while still frozen then put the unused part back. Maybe you could do the same with wasabi?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I keep ginger in the freezer and I just grate it while still frozen then put the unused part back. Maybe you could do the same with wasabi?

This is what I was thinking of.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone have a recipe for mantou? Do people usually use a fairly wet dough, or is it dry-ish? All-Purpose flower fine? How about shaping, it seems like there's lots of variations. And is it usually yeast-only or is there baking powder involved?

I never really thought about it, but flour is shockingly cheap so mantou may make a good staple, especially since you can freeze steamed buns like that fairly easily.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

Anyone have a recipe for mantou? Do people usually use a fairly wet dough, or is it dry-ish? All-Purpose flower fine? How about shaping, it seems like there's lots of variations. And is it usually yeast-only or is there baking powder involved?

I never really thought about it, but flour is shockingly cheap so mantou may make a good staple, especially since you can freeze steamed buns like that fairly easily.

I've made Bapao, which are very similar, and I used a normal bread dough at 70% hydration and patent flour, no baking soda. Bapao have a sort of sweet and spicy, satay like mince beef filling. The recipe is in Dutch, but I could post a translation if you're interested.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of ginger do you guys peel it? I always do but I'm not sure it's necessary.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I only ever grate ginger frozen and I never peel it, pretty much exactly like spankmeister said. If I were doing a mince or julienne on fresh ginger then maybe.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of ginger do you guys peel it? I always do but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Same. I always peel it because the outer bit looks kind of tough and gross, I always assumed you had to.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I only ever grate ginger frozen and I never peel it, pretty much exactly like spankmeister said. If I were doing a mince or julienne on fresh ginger then maybe.

I usually don't peel, even when I mince or julienne. It's not worth it to me. The difference isn't really noticeable imo. This is also just what I'm used to seeing when cooking with other Chinese families and growing up.

I do peel if I'm doing a special dinner and I think it'll matter in the presentation (rarely).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hogmartin posted:

The truth. Or a stew.

Or salsa. And ketchup. In a slow cooker. With mindflux's tears.

Speaking of cooking chicken thighs, how should they be handled on the stove? I generally don't cook much using the oven or a grill, since I don't have the latter and constantly set off fire alarms with the former, but I'm a big fan of chicken thighs and I want to learn how to make them more often. Should I use some kind of dry rub on them and panfry? Are they meant to be broiled/baked?

e: These are boneless skinless thighs, if that helps.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 16, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I don't do anything special with boneless/skinless chicken thighs :shrug: I just treat them like thinner chicken breast. They make a good francese, so I don't think they're unsuited to pan-frying at all.

I have a bottle of the popular Three Crabs Brand™ fish sauce, unopened. The label says to refrigerate after opening, but I've read that refrigeration makes stuff condensate out of it and that fish sauce should be just stored in a cool dark cabinet. What do you guys do?

e: I didn't notice that you wanted to learn to cook chicken thigh more often so... go ahead and do a francese I guess. You can find lots of recipes online. I cut the chicken into strips, then pat it dry with a paper towel and do a flour pat, then dip it in beaten egg with a squirt of lemon juice, then a dredge in flour mixed with salt and pepper and finely chopped parsley and then pan-fry it. I can ask mom for her recipe if you want, hers always seems to turn out better.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 17, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Or salsa. And ketchup. In a slow cooker. With mindflux's tears.

Speaking of cooking chicken thighs, how should they be handled on the stove? I generally don't cook much using the oven or a grill, since I don't have the latter and constantly set off fire alarms with the former, but I'm a big fan of chicken thighs and I want to learn how to make them more often. Should I use some kind of dry rub on them and panfry? Are they meant to be broiled/baked?

e: These are boneless skinless thighs, if that helps.

Chicken stew, only uses the oven to cook the stew after you've added a ton of liquid so there should be little to no smoke involved.

Here is the recipe. It's incredibly flexible and you get a ton of flavor and meatiness in the gravy from the onions, which disintegrate by the end of the cooking. I like to use Bell's Winter White Ale when it's available in place of wine, partly because I love that beer and it also means you get a bit more leeway with the time you boil off the alcohol. Some other white ale or Belgian would also work for year round availability. I also have added frozen peas and pearl onions before which adds some more color and texture.

http://hipfoodiemom.com/2014/11/05/you-need-this-in-your-life-best-chicken-stew-and-a-cookbook/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gerblyn posted:

Same. I always peel it because the outer bit looks kind of tough and gross, I always assumed you had to.

You don't have to, the outside is fine.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I have a bottle of the popular Three Crabs Brand™ fish sauce, unopened. The label says to refrigerate after opening, but I've read that refrigeration makes stuff condensate out of it and that fish sauce should be just stored in a cool dark cabinet. What do you guys do?

Fish sauce is just fine in a cupboard. It already went bad once and is full of salt, nothing is gonna grow in it. If you really want to fridge it I imagine that can't affect it negatively, though there is no reason to do so.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Fridging fish sauce will make some salt crystal out but doesn't really hurt it. Salt will crystal out eventually anyways if any amount of liquid evaporates from it ever

Re: ginger I peel when you'll actually be eating the ginger, but don't when it's just part of a braise or stock or whatever

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You don't have to, the outside is fine.

Mind blown. I've always peeled it, and never questioned it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you guys using young or old ginger? The young ginger skin is thin but it gets so woody and tough when it gets older, I can't imagine that not being noticeable.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you guys using young or old ginger? The young ginger skin is thin but it gets so woody and tough when it gets older, I can't imagine that not being noticeable.

Old. My palettes just not refined I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pile of brown posted:

Fridging fish sauce will make some salt crystal out but doesn't really hurt it. Salt will crystal out eventually anyways if any amount of liquid evaporates from it ever

Re: ginger I peel when you'll actually be eating the ginger, but don't when it's just part of a braise or stock or whatever

I do the same. Haven't noticed a huge deal there. I still slice it about 3-4mm thick before tossing it in so lots of contact with the liquid while it cooks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Young I guess? It's about as thick as potato skin. I regularly make a chicken Adobo that has a whole bunch of sliced ginger in it that you can eat along with everything else and the ginger is plenty tasty. Other than that I mostly use it grated and there is no point in peeling it then, if anything it makes the grating harder because it's easier to keep a firm grip on the skin when grating it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Young I guess? It's about as thick as potato skin. I regularly make a chicken Adobo that has a whole bunch of sliced ginger in it that you can eat along with everything else and the ginger is plenty tasty. Other than that I mostly use it grated and there is no point in peeling it then, if anything it makes the grating harder because it's easier to keep a firm grip on the skin when grating it.

That's old. Young ginger skin is much thinner than potato skin and translucent. I personally wouldn't describe old ginger skin as 'woody' but I'm also known for eating the skin off of apples and then throwing away the rest cause the skin's the best part, and eating the skin of anything that's remotely edible (mango comes to mind).

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mind blown. I've always peeled it, and never questioned it.

Same here - isn't it weird when you realise that you've been doing something pointless just because it seemed like the standard procedure!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
A lot of cooking is like that. I held back my "no, you must use tons of water" when someone asked if you could cook pasta in a tiny bit and it turns out I would have been completely wrong. The 'cut both ends off the roast' phenomenon is alive and well.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

hogmartin posted:

The 'cut both ends off the roast' phenomenon is alive and well.

That's still valid, though. I believe the full version is "cut both ends off the roast and feed them to the chef".

:getin:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Jan posted:

That's still valid, though. I believe the full version is "cut both ends off the roast and feed them to the chef".

:getin:

Discard all cut off ends of sushi rolls directly into the chef's mouth.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is there an Italian food mega thread somewhere that I am missing? Anyone have a link?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's a good temp setting for burgers in the oven (not on the range)? It's that or try to cook them one at a time on a very small non-stick skillet.

Edit: just went for it in the oven, 420 @ ~14 min total (flipping once at 10 min on a raised wire rack) for a fairly good medium-rare, 93/7 beef.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 18, 2016

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I've made Bapao, which are very similar, and I used a normal bread dough at 70% hydration and patent flour, no baking soda. Bapao have a sort of sweet and spicy, satay like mince beef filling. The recipe is in Dutch, but I could post a translation if you're interested.

Alright thanks, I think that should be a good enough start. I can't get patent flour easily (it must not be a big thing here), and I may just end up using AP flour. I'm guessing I can't really mess it up too much anyway

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

Alright thanks, I think that should be a good enough start. I can't get patent flour easily (it must not be a big thing here), and I may just end up using AP flour. I'm guessing I can't really mess it up too much anyway

Ok! I'm not sure how easy these ingredients are to get outside of the Netherlands/Indonesia, so you might need to replace a few things:

For the dough:

500 g patent flour
350ml luke warm water
7g dried yeast
1 tablespoon sugar

For the filling:

2 white onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
0.5 bunch of Chinese celery leaves, stems removed and chopped
2 tablespoons salted peanuts, chopped
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
2 cm galanga root
1 salam leaf
450 g ground beef
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon sambal bajak (Indonesian chili paste)
2 tablespoons ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
2 tablespoons sugar/neutral syrup

1. Add the sugar and yeast to the water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. Add it to the flour, and knead it into a dough.
3. Place the dough into a bowl, cover and let it rise for 10m
4. Put the oil into a pan over a medium heat, and fry off the onion and garlic until the onion starts to become translucent
5. Add the galanga and salam leaf, and fry for a further 3 minutes
6. Add the meat and fry for another 2 minutes
7. Add the peanuts, celery leaves, ketchup, sambal, ketjap manis and sugar, and fry for another minute
8. Remove from the heat and cool
9. Remove the galanga and salam leaf, then drain the liquid out of the mixture using a sieve so the filling is drier
10. Line a steam basket with baking paper
11. Split the bread dough into balls of about 50g each, about the size of a ping pong ball
12. To make each bapao, use both thumbs to press a ball into a shallow bowl, and spoon some of the meat filling into it
13. Fold the dough closed over the meat and pinch it sealed, using a little water if necessary to help it stick
14. Place your bapao onto the baking paper, cover with a tea towel and let them rise for an hour
15. To cook the bapao, steam them for 16-20 minutes

The original recipe is here:

http://www.24kitchen.nl/recepten/danny-s-bapao

There's a video where you can watch the guy do it, he starts making the Bapao themselves at about 9m20s which IMHO is the tricky bit.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 18, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

patent flour is just AP flour.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Good to know, thanks!

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Does anyone know where to buy Bensdorp Benco in the US, particularly near Boston?
I found this place but they charge way too much for shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

spankmeister posted:

patent flour is just AP flour.

Not always. The first time I bought a giant bag of King Arthur Special Patent flour I thought I was getting AP, but it's actually high-gluten bread flour. Granted, it's "special", but it still has "patent" in the name.