Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh, what level do most of you reach at catacombs? my first character was 30 and my second one is 35 and i have like 150k souls waiting to be spent. I don't want to level out of rnage of multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phoix posted:

Are there any enemies that drop titanite slabs? There are too many weapons I want to +10 to try in PvP.

Before going to NG+ I believe the Shrine Handmaid sells them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So: Smouldering Lake before or after Irithyll?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh, what level do most of you reach at catacombs? my first character was 30 and my second one is 35 and i have like 150k souls waiting to be spent. I don't want to level out of rnage of multiplayer.

I was 45 when I fought Wolnir there and there were summon signs everywhere. I just co-oped him a couple of times and got summoned within 15-30 seconds of putting down my sign both times. You should be good to level up some.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's mostly about weapon reinforcement level, but that doesn't sound that unusual. I've gotten a lot of hits (PvP and PvE) at level 15 characters in the catacombs

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

Before going to NG+ I believe the Shrine Handmaid sells them.

She only sells one unless there's an ash I missed that makes it infinite.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
welp. managed to beat pontiff sulyvhan on my first try. with 2 estus.

pretty sure that is my greatest moment in dark souls history and I will never live up to it again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Probably 40 but I go out of my way to kill everything and never lose souls

30-40 is a healthy range I think.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GreyPowerVan posted:

I haven't had any trouble summoning or getting summoned at level 50 in the catacombs. Or for the Abyss Watchers either.

But I am a sunbro, and I think their range is extended to +/- 20 SLs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anyone have any recommendations on what to crystal infuse for a magic build? I've only got the one gem and don't want to farm, so I'd like to make it count

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

GreatGreen posted:

Kite him to the elevator then trick him into falling down the hole.

Alternatively, git gud and combo the fucker to death.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minrad posted:

You don't fin dthis shit annoying to read?

I was able to read that without mousing over any of it so no.

CJacobs posted:

He's right though, it is really annoying when people do spoiler tags like that instead of just one block or just like abbreviating the name like a normal person

The only time people do that is when spoilering boss names or similar things. If you know what they're talking about it's easy to read, if you don't it obscures it which is the point of having tags there.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's a pyro build look like? Feels like your stats would be pretty thin needing to do attunement, int, and faith equally.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

So: Smouldering Lake before or after Irithyll?

I was 45 when I fought Wolnir there and there were summon signs everywhere. I just co-oped him a couple of times and got summoned within 15-30 seconds of putting down my sign both times. You should be good to level up some.

Before

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

this, only it's you, and it's a ds3 mob

Well it didn't kill my family but it killed me probably 30 times :v:

Dark Souls is a roller coaster of emotion, I finally made it past the aforementioned jerks and beat Oceiros on the first attempt and now my heart's pounding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

What's a pyro build look like? Feels like your stats would be pretty thin needing to do attunement, int, and faith equally.

You can safely stop at 24 Attunement. Int and Faith can both stop at 30, or really whenever they add up to 60 if you want a different mix for some reason.

After that, get enough Str/Dex to wield a weapon you infuse with Chaos and go nuts.

Off I go to firetown!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

anyone have any recommendations on what to crystal infuse for a magic build? I've only got the one gem and don't want to farm, so I'd like to make it count

Do you have a weapon whose moveset you like?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay I beat the game and now I gotta know: who the gently caress murdered my wizard and why wasn't there a clue or anyone saying a single goddamn thing about the loving corpse in firelink shrine?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo where is this lake everyone keeps talking about, I'm all the way balls deep into the archives and never came across it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Phoix posted:

Are there any enemies that drop titanite slabs? There are too many weapons I want to +10 to try in PvP.

Wing Knights in Lothric, I think?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GreyPowerVan posted:

I was in my late 30s or so. Maybe early 40s.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Do you have a weapon whose moveset you like?

I can't use much of anything because I'm a mage, so I've not actually tested most of them out

Emalde
May 3, 2007

man nurse posted:

Yo where is this lake everyone keeps talking about, I'm all the way balls deep into the archives and never came across it.

That bridge in the Catacomb becomes a ladder once broken.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Emalde posted:

Wing Knights in Lothric, I think?

I saw someone say that but I killed them for a while and didn't get anything. I think it might just be confusion over the guaranteed one for killing them the first time, but maybe the drop rate is just terrible.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

for anyone having trouble with the skeletons in the catacombs, i noticed that weapons that deal strike damage tend to splinter the skeletons on the first hit, and you can keep whacking them while they reform, and kill them before they can do anything about it. this seemed to work on all types of skeletons (even the more advanced ones with better weapons / moves). also, you can tell if a skeleton is really dead or not if it gives you souls, so if you "kill" one and your soul counter doesn't change, don't go running off, because it's going to get back up in about six seconds and run at you again - the good news is that every skeleton only needs to be killed twice.

the indiana jones traps hurt all of the enemies in the catacombs too, so use that to your advantage. the invader that comes after the second boulder if you are in ember form is especially less threatening if you fight him in the boulder path and just roll back & forth while the boulder makes the loops and let it slowly flatten him. if you fight him again later in the boiling lake zone, you'll encounter him very near a lava pit, and it's an instant kill if you can maneuver him over to it and knock him in.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Phoix posted:

I saw someone say that but I killed them for a while and didn't get anything. I think it might just be confusion over the guaranteed one for killing them the first time, but maybe the drop rate is just terrible.

Given how hosed up the rate of covenant items is from the monsters that drop them, I'd be willing to believe it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

man nurse posted:

In the catacombs, when you come to the weakened suspension bridge

hit it, while closer to the far end (boss end) and try to land on the ledge below

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't use much of anything because I'm a mage, so I've not actually tested most of them out

Weapons are largely personal preference in these games. I always like using katanas and falchions. The falchion actually has really low requirements. I haven't found one just yet, but if it's anything like it was in past games, it should be a nice weapon. It even causes bleed this time around.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just had a really good invasion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZEomuJNMc

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I was able to read that without mousing over any of it so no.

The only time people do that is when spoilering boss names or similar things. If you know what they're talking about it's easy to read, if you don't it obscures it which is the point of having tags there.

So let me ask you a question. If you haven't reached Pontiff Sulyvahn yet, how the gently caress does knowing there is a boss with that name affect you whatsoever? It's not a loving spoiler without some context. No one knows what the gently caress a Pontiff Sulyvahn is unless they have reached that point in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, I got to Irithyll, guess I found the real Dark Souls....

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Phoix posted:

There are 8 or 9 that you can find through exploration / sidequests, etc.

There is exactly one kind of enemy that can drop them, but the drop rate is very low and the enemies are annoying as hell. They are on the roof of the archives, straight down and to the left, near a tower where you can find a key and a miracle.

Krinkle posted:

Okay I beat the game and now I gotta know: who the gently caress murdered my wizard and why wasn't there a clue or anyone saying a single goddamn thing about the loving corpse in firelink shrine?

Assuming by "wizard" you mean Orbeck, you can find him in the archives after he disappears.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Finally beat my stinky little dink on the fifth try... Thank god! Love how it feels like you're improving every time you try and then when you finally get it, it feels sooooo good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can I not get summoned for the skeleton boss?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Krinkle posted:

Nope, secret area boss #2. and 3 maybe. I don't know. A real fucker I give up on, anyway. I can't even help someone else win. I haven't helped anyone come close. I'd rather beat the game on this awful run and start over than figure it out.

I just don't get why I didn't ring the bell, like a good boy, and there's nothing loving here. I have three stones and none of them are usable. There is nowhere obvious to join the faction to be able to? I guess I never sat on the dragon's face. And I ran from that one dragon on the way to the top but he never came back. Other than that I've looked pretty thoroughly and sat everywhere.

Try taking off your armor.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

Can I not get summoned for the skeleton boss?

Yeah you can, me and my friend did. Cutscene happens and I get transported.

Why? Nobody summoning you?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) Speaking of the Cathedral, I'm supposed to meet Patches there, but he isn't showing up. I leave the bonfire next to Rasaria, and he should be near the lever for the bridge above the giants, right? And he then sends me back down to th em if I walk across it? He's not there. Did I mess up by killing the giants already?

Got my first question answered about bleeding, thanks everyone.

Still wondering about this. I assume there's some "trigger" I haven't done yet?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

il serpente cosmico posted:

I think that sentiment is dumb, btw :)

I agree, and I'm not exactly great at these games. But even with my stupid deaths in the early game (Just in the middle of Undead Settlement) this game has felt like it's had an overall very smooth and forgiving early game. To be fair, I did take knight start. But even my mediocre skill is baffled at how many non gravity related bloodstains there are some places.

My skill level seems to be entirely random though. I'll chump the blue Lothric Knight with red eyes even with whatever it is that sword buff does, Twice. Then proceed to die to a normal lothric knight 5 times in a row like a moron trying to farm his clothes :v:

Also, is it me or does parrying take a shitload of Stamina? I've found myself having an easier time parrying with my knight shield in this game than my attempts at early game parries in DS1/DS2. But if I get so much as just a partial parry, that seems to take so much of my stamina that I'm in a bad way while a knight still has the rest of their combo to go if I don't just abort entirely to gain some distance.

Parrying feels like a mix of more forgiving to accomplish (don't know if true or just muscle memory), and highly punishing to only get a partial success. At least your endurance starts to refill just in time to riposte though, I've done a lot of mid combat parries that completely emptied out my stamina bar, awkwardly standing there in front of the staggered guy for a moment before I'm allowed to riposte.

Always great to be able to take an action even with only a pixel of stamina though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

irithyl is just bloodborne on ice huh. that first enemy is super cool

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, guys, when you're a summon phantom, you really need to play more aggressively. Hit the boss with the giant club you brought. It's your giant club! Hit him and stagger him, and when the host is backing off, that's when you close in!

That said, drat. Every time I think I'm getting a good dodge rhythm going, I get surprised by something and end up just spamming rolls like a fiend. Game gets my blood up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got my first question answered about bleeding, thanks everyone.

Still wondering about this. I assume there's some "trigger" I haven't done yet?

Seigward is in the well, right? If so then you already missed Patches at the cathedral, but it doesn't matter since you'll still encounter him at the tower above firelink.