Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone who hasn't seen JtMS, holy poo poo

Jace is broken as hell.

He does not have keyword soup, plus an etb effect, plus a flip side that wraths and increases p/t

There's a difference between "development hosed up, horribly" like with jtms and "development/design just kept adding mechanics" like with avacyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm amazed at how often I topdeck exactly the card I need to get out of a situation after thinking about which cards are in my deck and deciding which one I would like to draw the most. It's uncanny, considering how many cards are usually still in my deck. I often lose to my opponent topdecking the card that they need, but in most losses I can identify at least one line of play that would have probably won me the game. Even something as innocuous as using a kill spell a little too late can snowball into a game loss.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

See, I do because we all tacitly agree to the variance in this game and still choose to play it. We could be playing Chess or Go instead but we're not. Variance is part of the game. I actually don't feel empathy for people who get so frustrated at the variance in this game. Most I can do is shrug.
You can take that stance if that's what makes you happy, but I think being annoyed about things we can't control and in particular being annoyed that we can't control them is inherently justified to a point. You'd be pissed off if you got a stomach flu right before a big event you want to go to, you'd be pissed if you got a flat tire on your way to work, and these are no more controllable than drawing 7 lands in a row; the only thing you can do is be pissed off at the entropy inherent in our universe for a bit and hope it doesn't happen again for a while. To get all judgmental about someone being frustrated about something frustrating sounds an awful lot like "ha ha you care about something, what a loser! Having emotions is for chumps" and personally I got past that whole shtick well before I was old enough to drink.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

You can take that stance if that's what makes you happy, but I think being annoyed about things we can't control and in particular being annoyed that we can't control them is inherently justified to a point. You'd be pissed off if you got a stomach flu right before a big event you want to go to, you'd be pissed if you got a flat tire on your way to work, and these are no more controllable than drawing 7 lands in a row; the only thing you can do is be pissed off at the entropy inherent in our universe for a bit and hope it doesn't happen again for a while. To get all judgmental about someone being frustrated about something frustrating sounds an awful lot like "ha ha you care about something, what a loser! Having emotions is for chumps" and personally I got past that whole shtick well before I was old enough to drink.

Lighten up. If you are going to let variance from a childrens card game get to you, it would probably be a good idea to take a step back and reflect upon things.

It takes some mental gymnastics to take the post you quoted and take it to that extreme.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Do you not see the problem with like.. His choice of language in a public setting that is designed to accommodate other people's children? If he was rattling off like that next to me with nothing done about it, I would be reluctant to give the store owner any further business. I'm there to play a game, not be a lashing post for an unstable man's insecurities.

Also, what's the problem with Jeff Hoagland? Seemed fine when I caught his stream.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Well, my friend walks up behind him during that game and makes a pretty salient point: "well he has like 5 cards in his hand, they're there to do something, I don't get why you're mad that he's using them." He ignored that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Lighten up. If you are going to let variance from a childrens card game get to you, it would probably be a good idea to take a step back and reflect upon things.

It takes some mental gymnastics to take the post you quoted and take it to that extreme.

I'm going to unironically start blaming the entropy inherent in our universe for every match I lose from now on. When I win I'll just tell my opponent "It's okay, we're all just meaningless specks of dust flying aimlessly through an infinite void. Good luck in your upcoming rounds!"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm going to go out on a limb with a controversial opinion here and say that I think it is okay and understandable to get annoyed at runs of bad luck, but it is not okay and acceptable to express that frustration by screaming about how that gay retard avacyn deserves to be raped.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Four horsemen was the only bulwark we had against the uncaring entropy of the cosmos, and even that was taken from us.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It would help a lot of people get over being mad about variance if they'd just accept that sometimes you are going to lose no matter what you do. Also sometimes you're going to win when you don't deserve to. If you're playing well you're going to start winning again no matter how unlucky your run is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

To be fair, Avacyn might be the most blatantly pushed for massive constructed play card I've ever seen

Siege Rhino was more powerful.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This Eli Kassis guy plays painfully loving slow.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
A lot of MtG players are self professed "smart" people who, surprise, haven't had that brilliance reflected elsewhere in their lives. Instead, their genius manifests in better-than-average-but-not-stellar performance at a low stakes card game. Therefore they need to at least assuage their dissonance with statements about "variance" making them lose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Hell, if we're talking about tilting topdecks, my opponent has 0 cards in hand, and is dead on board to a Thraben Gargoyle transoformed, and topdecks Detective Jace. :negative:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb with a controversial opinion here and say that I think it is okay and understandable to get annoyed at runs of bad luck, but it is not okay and acceptable to express that frustration by screaming about how that gay retard avacyn deserves to be raped.

Yeah pretty much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Hell, if we're talking about tilting topdecks, my opponent has 0 cards in hand, and is dead on board to a Thraben Gargoyle transoformed, and topdecks Detective Jace. :negative:

It was a good move on their part to wait until you were down to your last creature to play such a stabilizing card, IMO.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hot take alert:

Skulk is great

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Modern Eldrazi dead?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Man fractured visions control is loving miserable to play against

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Hot take alert:

Skulk is great

Some rear end in a top hat put the +3/0 and first strike flash enchantment on the 1/3 lifelinker skulker and that was a loving beater. Skulk is pretty neat.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Gotta say, modern is looking pretty awesome right now. Coco fills a pretty awesome niche for the Meliria/anafenza decks, gifts thopter can beat burn and eldrazi looks to be dead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

It was a good move on their part to wait until you were down to your last creature to play such a stabilizing card, IMO.

I can't see you winking over the internet to know if that's supposed to be sarcastic or just misreading.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I see Skill Rhino is still making people pissed off even after rotating out.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lmao craig kremple top-decking a seige rhino to beat korey mcduffie who was at 1 life

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
To be fair he was pressuring McDuffie the entire game and Krempel was always ahead.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

SCG has the decks that went 7-1 or better in standard.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/3746_71_or_better_standard_decklist.html

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

im the mono-red deck with 18 one-drops

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Whats more mind boggling is the amounts of Bant Company

Alaan
May 24, 2005

And the modern decks are up now.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/3748_71_or_better_modern_decklists.html

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

That's a lot of Bant Company.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems very fair for modern. Only really two combo decks on that list, although there are also 5 burn/zoo variants.

Interesting new(ish) cards seeing play:
- Burning-Tree Emissary/Reckless Bushwhacker aggro deck
- The full four copies of Cinder Glade in that weird GR scapeshift deck
- Tron rocking Sanctum of Ugin, World Breakers and Kozilek's Return
- 2 sideboard copies of Pulse of Murasa in Jund :confused:
- A 2/2 split of PtE and DiS in Bant Company :eyepop:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mezzanon posted:

I'm going to unironically start blaming the entropy inherent in our universe for every match I lose from now on. When I win I'll just tell my opponent "It's okay, we're all just meaningless specks of dust flying aimlessly through an infinite void. Good luck in your upcoming rounds!"
"good game, just remember that in the long run nothing matters and everything you love will eventually die. Namaste."

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

The 7-1 Knight retreat combo deck with a westvale abbey :allears:

I may have to give that deck another shot, it's a lot of fun but never put up any real results.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

All I'm saying is that if you design a spell that says "you get 6 mana of dudes at instant speed for 4 mana" maybe it should cost 2GG instead of 3G.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Interesting new(ish) cards seeing play:
- 2 sideboard copies of Pulse of Murasa in Jund :confused:

Gotta beat the burn match somehow with Green Timely Reinforcements.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Shadow225 posted:

Also, what's the problem with Jeff Hoagland? Seemed fine when I caught his stream.

He just gets really mad at Magic. I followed him on Twitter for a while because he had an interesting Modern deck back when I played Modern but everything he posted that wasn't flogging said pet deck was constant griping about formats, MODO, having to go to events, not having any events to go to, etc. etc. Also he seemed to take it personally that his Legacy deck wasn't winning and flounced out of the format crying about Brainstorm.

I don't know what he's been doing recently but I doubt he's gotten much more pleasant.

EDIT: Oh he also had a meltdown on some subreddit because the mods wouldn't yell at someone for having the username "JeffBoohoogland"

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 17, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GoutPatrol posted:

Gotta beat the burn match somehow with Green Timely Reinforcements.

It's also (kind of) mana-fixing with Fetchlands. For a deck that's as sketchy as Jund can sometimes be, getting a second use out of a Fetchland is surprisingly reasonable.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I think I would replace four of those with Abbot of Keral Keep, but which four?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My zoo deck made the top 8. Thats like 4 cards off from my 75 list. Good for that kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How do I tune BW Control to beat Bant Company, or is that as hopeless as I fear it looks on paper? I don't know if I can beat getting whittled down by eot two value creatures.

• Locked thread