Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So I heard that range is the most important stat for a BB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Pad my view counts fer loot Goons!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPfs-_PNz4

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Oyodo owners: How do you like it? It seems pretty interesting.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
We're sitting at 6 for fleet battles, in case anyone forgot that they were today.

Roumba posted:

How good are you with CV torp bombers? If you are good, some Oyodo owners are amazing and can use both well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Roumba posted:

The hybrid carriers are used competitively so they are definitely good. But like Pervis said you need to make every torp bomber wave count because the prep time is much longer s planes note limited.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Since I'm the only person actually online, I guess we aren't doing late fleet battles tonight...

Shame I had to work earlier in the day.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

The hybrid carriers are used competitively so they are definitely good. But like Pervis said you need to make every torp bomber wave count because the prep time is much longer s planes note limited.

The Ise BBV is much better than the Oyodo.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Fleet battles are up. Just Log and myself so far.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

The Ise BBV is much better than the Oyodo.

It certainly looks that way, 4x2 main guns, and carries 30 planes. I haven't seen many recently though, I think a lot of the people who bought them early are on higher tiers or don't play as much. I have seen Oyodo's recently, I'd guess because it's very cheap and effectively unique.

I still can't decide what gold ship to get, I can buy any 28.8k and lower. I like the Jintsu and Repulse for commander training once a day, so I figured I'd go with something similarly useful.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pervis posted:

It certainly looks that way, 4x2 main guns, and carries 30 planes. I haven't seen many recently though, I think a lot of the people who bought them early are on higher tiers or don't play as much. I have seen Oyodo's recently, I'd guess because it's very cheap and effectively unique.

I still can't decide what gold ship to get, I can buy any 28.8k and lower. I like the Jintsu and Repulse for commander training once a day, so I figured I'd go with something similarly useful.

How would you set up your commanders for these ships? Use you aircraft carrier crew, you bb crew, or some buckshot mix that isnt useful for eithet?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So I got home from work and decided to give my old love a spin and

I press the button and ships just get loving deleted
:dogbutton:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Pennsylvania is so good. It's always nice to take that boat out every once in a while.

JuffoWup posted:

How would you set up your commanders for these ships? Use you aircraft carrier crew, you bb crew, or some buckshot mix that isnt useful for eithet?

I'd probably just take my usual BB crew out, and use the fuel tank for more plane endurance on it. I'd do that mostly because I don't have very good CV commanders, other than the one that gives 10% launch speed increase, and haven't put qualification in to the commanders that give hawkeye (+200m scouting for planes). Most of my other CV skills make planes marginally better, but in the event you are the only one with CV planes in a battle having slightly better planes is less important than getting 4-star MacMillian's damage boost etc, and Linderman's bonuses as captain and reload speed (and then Luckner, Arashi, and Von Musel for the rest, since massive spotting and disguise bonuses are useful on any non-CV boat in any match).

But having torpedo bombers out to drop BB's or better yet subs would be nice. Maybe I'll pick up the ship, as I took the Indy out after months and still have great aim with torpedo bombers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The Ise BBV has a 25 second plane reload time, which is something to remember. I think the key is to definitely balance your play; it's not a good CV if you are trying to play it just as a CV. But it does have a really nice ace in the hole so to speak, you can put up full squadrons as spotters, hit poo poo well outside gun range with (very capable) TBs, and hunt subs when needed. Realistically though you should be shooting as much as you're doing plane things.

Also, I think your total damage isn't even much lower than a Nagato Proto, plus your turrets are closer together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well the Nagato Proto is the worst BB in the game, so it's not hard to be a better BB.

I mean, it's still USABLE, but holy poo poo is the Nagato Proto terrible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pervis posted:

To put it in perspective, the Ise BBV can actually do battleship things. It's not good like the Penn, but it'll handle gun battles well enough.

The oyodo cannot do light cruiser things. Its armament is too weak, it lacks torpedoes, its main advantage is massive AA firepower which is unimportant in its tier.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
It has identical firepower to the other IJN rank 5 Light Cruiser, the Agano. No torpedoes does blow, I agree.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Roumba posted:

It has identical firepower to the other IJN rank 5 Light Cruiser, the Agano. No torpedoes does blow, I agree.

The Agano is also inadequate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Sattanicom is so difficult to beat in a DD. He just spams smoke and is virtually invisible, to the point that he singlehandedly beat our entire team in a 3v3. I'm not calling him a cheater, but I feel like he's an example of a player that takes a DD to the logical extreme by being extremely difficult to pin down. Its very frustrating if you're stuck on the other team and he just LOL dunks all your guys. I send planes to spot him through smoke, and he can spot and kill them before they even get over the smoke cloud. I'm running a scout build on my Baltimore and so have as much bonus vision as I can squeeze out of the crew that I have, along with as much disguise as well. But its still not enough.

I don't mind it when I lose because I did something stupid, or it was a close match that could've gone either way. But to be completely outclassed is aggravating. I like playing high tier botes but it seems like there are few 'average' players and most people at that point are either really good, or really terrible (and on my team).

I see Sattanicom, Azder, Shootmedown, etc a lot and its often when I got some French dude in a premium ship that does jack squat the whole match. I really want to believe this is making me a better player, because I'm always against people that play very consistently and never seem to make any stupid mistakes. So it kind of pushes me to my own limit and it does feel satisfying to kill a guy that's been wrecking me all morning. But the small player base really hurts things.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Is this a good time to remind new/sporadic players that we use the Camping the Stairs Mumble for team stuff and you should go there to find goons wanting to play matches together? Because I can only allude to it so many times ingame before I'll don't care.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How dos Hacker Fodder let his Scharnhorst lose to a pair of Brooklyns. How did we win that game with that stupid as hell team comp?

The Brooklyn isn't that good but I think I'm going to love it anyway because watching the shells rain in on an enemy is fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I was teamed up with another goon that was doing decent in his Brooklyn. I get the sense that if you can manage to pop in at short range, you'll out DPS them by having more barrels and reload. Particularly vs US CAs, that don't get torpedoes.

Cleveland loses one of the turrets, but the guns still seem decent for a CA and it has the exact same secondaries as the Baltimore. Baltimore/Cleveland team was pretty fun.

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Hi I applied to be in badfleet

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Zap Branigan posted:

Hi I applied to be in badfleet

I see no variation of Zap Branigan in the application list :shrug:

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Groggy nard posted:

He's Sergetov in game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gently caress yeah, finished the Nagato Proto. Never driving that piece of poo poo again.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Sattanicom is so difficult to beat in a DD. He just spams smoke and is virtually invisible, to the point that he singlehandedly beat our entire team in a 3v3. I'm not calling him a cheater, but I feel like he's an example of a player that takes a DD to the logical extreme by being extremely difficult to pin down. Its very frustrating if you're stuck on the other team and he just LOL dunks all your guys. I send planes to spot him through smoke, and he can spot and kill them before they even get over the smoke cloud. I'm running a scout build on my Baltimore and so have as much bonus vision as I can squeeze out of the crew that I have, along with as much disguise as well. But its still not enough.

I don't mind it when I lose because I did something stupid, or it was a close match that could've gone either way. But to be completely outclassed is aggravating. I like playing high tier botes but it seems like there are few 'average' players and most people at that point are either really good, or really terrible (and on my team).

I see Sattanicom, Azder, Shootmedown, etc a lot and its often when I got some French dude in a premium ship that does jack squat the whole match. I really want to believe this is making me a better player, because I'm always against people that play very consistently and never seem to make any stupid mistakes. So it kind of pushes me to my own limit and it does feel satisfying to kill a guy that's been wrecking me all morning. But the small player base really hurts things.

He's got great commanders, and I think Mazz taught him a fair bit a couple months ago. I don't know exactly what commanders he has but it's definitely something that makes matches really unbalanced. He's definitely part of why I avoided 6 and up for a long time, unless I had a group, as I ran in to him a lot farming renown in a Laforey and even when I killed him (while in a Northampton or Pennsylvania) the match was largely over.

I was playing with Mazz recently and the one thing that I saw him do that might be useful, is charging out of smoke towards a slow, stealthy DD while in a decently fast ship. When Mazz emerged (in a Repulse) he got the spot, and we both opened up, finishing the DD off.

But otherwise grouping is the way I remain sane at higher levels except during the mornings where there seems to be a lot of 7's who aren't amazing, and few other goons on. I felt the same way as you did for months, and ended up slowing down and farming merit events and commander training and having fun at t5 if I got a string of frustrating battles at a higher tier against the same players or groups.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
He runs Mass/Luckner/Musel/Horton and Kazuo or Arashi, or at least that's what he says when I asked. Considering there is like 1 other decent guy you need to 5 star to use, that's pretty certain. He has like 3000+ games and was a FADM, so I assume a couple of them are four stars. You can't really outspot him given that, but that being said he's not unbeatable or anything. Most of us should be pretty close to that crew by now too, I am but without Musel as I prefer keeping Macmillan since I shoot things a lot.

To be fair, a good tier 8 DD can clown a lot of boats, especially the Akizuki that can both spot and shoot CA/BBs out to 4.1km. Getting worked up over a high level DD player doing it right is a waste of breath, since that just what a good DD allows. When Japslap mentioned US CAs getting kited he had a point, they don't tend to have the speed to really keep a DD in sights so you have to make the shots count. The thing is there are like 4 DD players in the entire game who will actually do this to you correctly.

There's a handful of things you can do to a DD in smoke, but probably the most effective I've found, so long as you don't get overzealous and torped, is to just turn into them as Pervis kinda mentioned and what I said to you in game today. DDs are only really effective from like 3.3 to 4km, any closer and they lose that edge. Keeping them close is hard yes, but the key is to use smoke ahead of yourself to advance further than they think, so when you do pop up its at like 2.6 and way inside the spotting band. Smoke breaks LoS, so you don't have to be inside it for it to work, just on the opposite side of the dude you want to hide from. Sattanicom may not be super susceptible to this but like 99% of other DDs are, and honestly I'm pretty sure I caught him with it in the most recent game I played against him, as he likes to hide in his smoke ~perpendicular to you more often than not. Pay attention to the map and corral them into a corner by dumping smoke out that way, make the map edge work against them.

That all being said, there's a reason I love playing tier 7+ DDs so much. They are OP as gently caress. So don't get too worked up over good DD play IMO, Just throw the tryhards on your friends list and play something else if you think they're queued in that tier. I do it when I see red/azder getting queued together, since fighting them alone is a pretty sure-fire loss.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 18, 2016

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

Heh sorry I am Sergetov in game

EDIT: you got me, thanks.

Do the German cruisers get better after the Emden? I am loving the American cruiser line but I am interested in the German CA line as well...

Zap Branigan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 18, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They get better immediately after the Emden, yes. The Konigsberg 1927 is pretty legit.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I like to think I only get this highly ranked because there aren't enough total players and not because I play too much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I won a gunfight with the Surcouf. This bote is really good.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
So, bios update fail killed my computer for now. Fml

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Groggy nard posted:

I like to think I only get this highly ranked because there aren't enough total players and not because I play too much.

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. To play subs as much as you do and get that high is solid work though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The poopsock crew needed to make high tier DDs ridiculous puts me off my gearing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Panzeh posted:

The poopsock crew needed to make high tier DDs ridiculous puts me off my gearing.

Its actually not as bad as it sounds. You can get most of them their bonus vision without needing to get them to 4 stars. Luckner and Mass only need to be leveled up, and I'm sure at least one of the other guys only needs 3 stars to get more vision. Even just everybody at 3 stars is good.

Carriers have it much worse. All the decent guys are 4 stars. To fully stack Hawkeye you'd need 6300 qualification points and two rare commanders.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 18, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Basically every match this morning looked something like this. Sattanicom in his stupid destroyer on the other team every single time, pretty much farming us over and over. The only bright spot is that the one time he died it finally managed to be by my hands. So at least I could say I killed him once today.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm pretty much dead weight as a Furutaka until I can reliably snipe DDs, aren't I?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

Basically every match this morning looked something like this. Sattanicom in his stupid destroyer on the other team every single time, pretty much farming us over and over. The only bright spot is that the one time he died it finally managed to be by my hands. So at least I could say I killed him once today.

When the other DD is Drac0 you're hosed.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Drac0 keeps bouncing in and out of many clans. Why do people keep accepting him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
There's no penalty for having bad players in your fleet and I don't think many fleets are :spergin: enough to leave spots empty instead of filling them with bad players. I do wonder why Drac0 keeps leaving fleets though, dark judge clearly didn't kick him since a bunch of their long time members are equally bad.

And I don't think Drac0 is really any worse than the average pubbie. It's just that he's visible because he plays nonstop (5500 games?) in mostly bad four gun DDs and talks a lot in chat, and he uses a lot of premium smoke to zero effect.

Mostly the auto-losses are Westley or trovao as your only destroyer, wombat as your only battleship, Skyler in anything not a sub, and platoons from ATAKE PIRATA, Irmandade or CSS ______.

• Locked thread