Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I caught up on AGoT packs, didn't know Wolves of the North was out.

Guess I could build a Stark deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

Well, I caught up on AGoT packs, didn't know Wolves of the North was out.

Guess I could build a Stark deck?

There's good cards for all the houses in there too

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

There's good cards for all the houses in there too

The Lannister cards are kind of bad. That's keeping in theme though.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Just finished a couple of games of the LotR LCG with my gaming group, we did the Journey Along the Anduin (3 players) and Escape from Dol Guldur (4 players) scenarios. We enjoyed the game a lot, and see the potential, but felt kind of underwhelmed as we beat the scenarios without much stress. We did lose 1 hero in Escape from Dol Guldur, but we were sure we were going to win by that point anyway. And this was with only the starter decks. Did we get lucky? Are those scenarios poorly balanced for 3-4 players? We admittedly didn't put much effort in following the table talk rule, as we thought it mostly existed to rein in quarterback players, is it also important for the overall challenge? How does the difficulty of the first cycle of scenarios compare to the core set scenarios? Should we opt for the comedy option and dive straight into the nightmare scenarios?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

The Lannister cards are kind of bad. That's keeping in theme though.

Uhh Tower of the Hand is likely super-broken.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Leaping Lions is the first deck I could see being an issue. Not to mention Lannister make up 38% of tournament wins since NMG release. I believe that's much higher than Baratheon ever had during the first few months. I'm still having a ton of success with my discard control Lannister.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Just finished a couple of games of the LotR LCG with my gaming group, we did the Journey Along the Anduin (3 players) and Escape from Dol Guldur (4 players) scenarios. We enjoyed the game a lot, and see the potential, but felt kind of underwhelmed as we beat the scenarios without much stress. We did lose 1 hero in Escape from Dol Guldur, but we were sure we were going to win by that point anyway. And this was with only the starter decks. Did we get lucky? Are those scenarios poorly balanced for 3-4 players? We admittedly didn't put much effort in following the table talk rule, as we thought it mostly existed to rein in quarterback players, is it also important for the overall challenge? How does the difficulty of the first cycle of scenarios compare to the core set scenarios? Should we opt for the comedy option and dive straight into the nightmare scenarios?

No offense, but you almost certainly got some rules wrong. Those aren't easy scenarios, even if you played with only 30 cards per deck.

Did you reveal 1 card per player for each quest phase or just 1 card period? Did you remember that a player is eliminated when they hit 50 threat? Or maybe you committed characters to a quest and then reused them to fight during the same round? Or maybe you had more than 1 Gandalf ally in play at the same time? Or maybe you factored in defense values when a Treachery card or undefended attack did damage?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

No offense, but you almost certainly got some rules wrong. Those aren't easy scenarios, even if you played with only 30 cards per deck.

Did you reveal 1 card per player for each quest phase or just 1 card period? Did you remember that a player is eliminated when they hit 50 threat? Or maybe you committed characters to a quest and then reused them to fight during the same round? Or maybe you had more than 1 Gandalf ally in play at the same time? Or maybe you factored in defense values when a Treachery card or undefended attack did damage?

I had all that covered. I guess we just got lucky. Especially in Journey Along the Anduin, 2 of the setup encounter cards were copies of Evil Storm, that do nothing to players with <35 threat, and the second hill troll appeared as a shadow card. Also Thalin auto-killing eastern crows before they surge helps a lot. Also the tactics player got a great starting hand (axe and armor for Gimli), allowing her to handle the first hill troll just as her threat got to 30. Quite a few heroes came close to dying during Escape from Dol Guldur, but nothing truly started the hypothetical chain reaction of disasters.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Anduin is not that hard. Generally more players makes it easier, especially for combat focused encounters. Location heavy encounters you could get land locked since it's harder to clear multiple locations, but you'd have the spirit allies that help with that. Treachery heavy ones can be bad especially if they affect all players, but even then you can probably handle 4 treacheries. The main problem I guess comes from the greater variation in draws.
But more players also means sharing the burden. Such as for Dol Guldur, you lose one hero at the setup as a prisoner. The more players, the less of a hurdle that is. And each player can focus more on their strengths rather than having to do something weakly. Such as Tactics trying to quest when you have fewer players, or just fighting all day everyday with 4 players.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I had all that covered. I guess we just got lucky. Especially in Journey Along the Anduin, 2 of the setup encounter cards were copies of Evil Storm, that do nothing to players with <35 threat, and the second hill troll appeared as a shadow card. Also Thalin auto-killing eastern crows before they surge helps a lot. Also the tactics player got a great starting hand (axe and armor for Gimli), allowing her to handle the first hill troll just as her threat got to 30. Quite a few heroes came close to dying during Escape from Dol Guldur, but nothing truly started the hypothetical chain reaction of disasters.

OK, you got extremely lucky, but I still suspect you got some things wrong. Given that it was your first time playing, that just seems more likely than having perfect luck in both scenarios.

A core Tactics-only deck would have to start with 29 threat, meaning you would face the Hill Troll the second round, assuming you quested successfully the first round. You could afford Citadel Plate if you bought nothing the first round. This is a very luck starting hand. But how did the remaining heroes manage 12 damage after questing to kill the troll in the second round? Did all the crows also come out immediately?

If you're interested, this guy has a more accurate assessment of the difficulty levels of the first few expansions and cycles than FFG does:

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/lotr-rants-difficulty-rating/

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

OK, you got extremely lucky, but I still suspect you got some things wrong. Given that it was your first time playing, that just seems more likely than having perfect luck in both scenarios.

A core Tactics-only deck would have to start with 29 threat, meaning you would face the Hill Troll the second round, assuming you quested successfully the first round. You could afford Citadel Plate if you bought nothing the first round. This is a very luck starting hand. But how did the remaining heroes manage 12 damage after questing to kill the troll in the second round? Did all the crows also come out immediately?

If you're interested, this guy has a more accurate assessment of the difficulty levels of the first few expansions and cycles than FFG does:

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/lotr-rants-difficulty-rating/

The axe costs 2 resources, and the armor costs 4, so that's exactly 2 rounds worth of resources. First round Gimli was given his axe and unexpected courage, second round Gimli got the citadel plate, engaged and blocked the troll, readied with unexpected courage, then all three tactics heroes killed the troll with 1 attack, 8 damage from Gimli (2 + 2 from axe + 4 from wounds) 3 from Legolas, 2 from Thalin.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Can't wait to get my Wolves box tomorrow. I'm going to try and see if I can do a Stark/Targ kill deck so I can parade it around the FLGS as a A Deck of Ice and Fire :v:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The axe costs 2 resources, and the armor costs 4, so that's exactly 2 rounds worth of resources. First round Gimli was given his axe and unexpected courage, second round Gimli got the citadel plate, engaged and blocked the troll, readied with unexpected courage, then all three tactics heroes killed the troll with 1 attack, 8 damage from Gimli (2 + 2 from axe + 4 from wounds) 3 from Legolas, 2 from Thalin.

Yeah, that's just about the most lucky opening hand you could possibly have gotten (aside from a first round Forest Snare for the Lore player). I'm only saying this to assure you that the game provides a decent challenge and that you shouldn't judge it as too easy based on that first play.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's been awhile since I played LotR, but Thalin's auto-kill stops crows from surging?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Yes. A specific FAQ rule.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Anyone got any good Targeryan/Lannister decks? I've got all the cards up to WoTN.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

PJOmega posted:

It's been awhile since I played LotR, but Thalin's auto-kill stops crows from surging?

It's pretty powerful:

quote:

The ability resolves before any keyword (including Doomed and Surge) or
When Revealed effects on the enemy, which are never triggered if the
ability destroys the enemy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thinking I'll try this out tomorrow.

quote:

House Stark
Banner of the Kraken

Plot
1x A Noble Cause
1x A Time For Wolves
2x Marched to the Wall
1x Summons
1x The Winds of Winter
1x Wardens of the North

Character (38)
3x Arya Stark (Core)
3x Asha Greyjoy
2x Black Wind's Crew
3x Bran Stark
2x Catelyn Stark (Core)
1x Eddard Stark (WotN)
1x Grey Wind
2x Littlefinger
1x Maester Wendamyr
1x Osha
1x Rattleshirt's Raiders
2x Robb Stark (Core)
2x Sansa Stark (Core)
1x Summer
3x Theon Greyjoy
2x Tumblestone Knight
3x Wildling Scout
3x Winterfell Steward
2x Wolves of the North

Attachment (6)
2x Fishing Net
2x Ice
1x Lady
1x Nymeria

Location (11)
3x Heart Tree Grove
2x Sea Tower
3x The Kingsroad
3x The Roseroad

Event (5)
2x Put to the Sword
3x Winter Is Coming

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I'm pretty sure Expecting Mischief works similarly.

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 11, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Anyone got any good Targeryan/Lannister decks? I've got all the cards up to WoTN.

Just put on a blindfold and start grabbing cards from your collection randomly, it'll probably be fine with those two houses regardless.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know if I love or hate this card. It's just madness. Great for Leaping Lions but just pure gold bait vs other houses.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you just want a good military character, you could do a combo and drop milk of the poppy on him immediately after.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Max posted:

If you just want a good military character, you could do a combo and drop milk of the poppy on him immediately after.

As soon as you marshal him there's an action window and the opponent can steal him before you get to Milk him.

\/\/ ah, good point

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 14, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

JoshTheStampede posted:

As soon as you marshal him there's an action window and the opponent can steal him before you get to Milk him.

Provided they went first and left gold available, or otherwise have pre-Marshaling gold from Calling the Banners or similar (since you don't collect your income until your turn during the Marshaling phase).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I managed to try out my new Stark deck today and while it took a tiny bit to get its engine going once it did it was a powerhouse and the draw I got wasn't even the best I could have done. I won the game with only 2 power on my house and the rest on my characters. The nice thing about building a deck around sacrificing characters to help Cat is that new plot with 7 gold makes it real easy to stack your deck with a bunch of high cost characters because you can easily throw them out at that point and with some cost reducers out you can just let stuff fly.

Stark definitely got a pretty good buff that makes building decks around them pretty fun and interesting now.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Bronn is insane. I think a lot of people are misjudging him when he's actually just straight up good. The mercenary effect has been explored across multiple games (Sslyth Mercenary in Conquest) and ultimately what matters is the base effect of the card since the stealing part is symmetrical mostly (it is in fact asymmetrical, skewed towards whoever plays the card due to being able to control whether to marshal it or not). Definitely a 1-of at least, easily 2-3 of depending on how much you want that setup value.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't get the purpose of 1 of's in LCGs. They seem to be the only card games where people frequently run them. I get that unique cards can be dead draws and I understand going for 2s, but singletons are just so unreliable in a 60 card deck. I play all 2s or 3s.

Bronn is definitely just straight up good. Lannisters usually have econ advantage anyways, and like you said, being in control of playing him or not skews it even more in your favor. People also underestimated Gregor, and we've seen how that turned out :lol:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't get the purpose of 1 of's in LCGs. They seem to be the only card games where people frequently run them. I get that unique cards can be dead draws and I understand going for 2s, but singletons are just so unreliable in a 60 card deck. I play all 2s or 3s.

Bronn is definitely just straight up good. Lannisters usually have econ advantage anyways, and like you said, being in control of playing him or not skews it even more in your favor. People also underestimated Gregor, and we've seen how that turned out :lol:

Look at the top 8 decks of a Magic Standard tournament: they pretty much all have 1s and 2s in a game where you can go up to 4s.

Especially in GoT there are absolutely cards where 1 can be great but drawing the 2nd is just a dead card.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I built a Leaping Lions deck for this weekend to get experience playing it and I see it called BAMF online. While I'm probably overthinking it, what does it mean?

- Is it a reference to all the Ambush in the deck (aka Nightcrawler's teleportation sound)
- Is it an acronym for Bet Against My Family?
- Both?
- The NXT Tag Team? (I'm picturing Blake as Left, Murphy as Right, and Alexa Bliss as Oleanna.)

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I built a Leaping Lions deck for this weekend to get experience playing it and I see it called BAMF online. While I'm probably overthinking it, what does it mean?

- Is it a reference to all the Ambush in the deck (aka Nightcrawler's teleportation sound)
- Both?
- The NXT Tag Team? (I'm picturing Blake as Left, Murphy as Right, and Alexa Bliss as Oleanna.)

I'm too hung over to evaluate if you're serious or not, but BAMF is usually Bad rear end Mother-Fucker

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

In Netrunner, 1 ofs are useful for cards that you don't necessarily always want to play or are redundant with multiples, but can tutor for. Weirdly enough, (non-AI) icebreakers are often in this category, since you can fetch them with Self Modifying Code, Special Order, or just having an insane number of draw cards.

I don't really see that many 1 ofs in Conquest since you don't get a lot of good tutor effects. I think some events can be one ofs if they're very occasionally very useful. Doom is one I can think of off the top of my head

I do 1 ofs in GOT for (unique) characters that are okay, but are also very, very likely to be among the first to die after all the cost reducers are gone. Bronn is doubly likely to die, since someone can buy him off and then use him as claim in a moment of Lannister poverty. He's not really worth putting a dupe on, either. This can be adjusted if you're hoping to use Never Bet Against My Family a lot, but even then, eh... The 60 card deck already means that there's a certain degree of unreliability, but Bronn isn't exactly a card that enables a lot of strategies, unlike Tyrion or Tywin or Jaime.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fishwhiskers is silly as gently caress.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pinwiz11 posted:

- Both?

It is both A and B.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Bottom Liner posted:

I use a lot of 1x cards in Conquest, usually for uniques who are marginally better than the equivalent card (but not good enough to be worth risking dead draws). For instance, I often play 1x Veteran Brother Maxos, 1x Fireblade Kais'vre, etc.

I also sometimes play 1x copies of cards that are dangerous surprises that can be played around if the opponent knows they're in your deck - Corporate Troubleshooter in Netrunner, No Mercy in Conquest, and so on.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
In GoT there are some characters you want to die because they have an effect on death, or are otherwise protected from death in such a way you won't ever want to dupe them - Benjen Stark, Davos Seaworth, Shireen Baratheon. That combined with them being generally useful but never outright necessary to your deck functioning means they are often 1-ofs, since the downside of drawing into multiples is worse than the upside of increasing your chances of seeing them at all.

In general, if they are a unique character who isn't 100% vital to my deck functioning, and who I am unlikely to ever want to dupe, or I can search for them (like a maester or a direwolf) they are likely a 1-of. Non-terminal attachments that you don't discard to use are also on this list - drawing into your 2nd Lightbringer or Heartsbane feels pretty bad.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bottom Liner posted:

Star Wars is 50 card decks. Netrunner is 40-49 usually. Conquest is 50.

They also tend to have a lot more card draw than Magic in a turn. There's a lot of tutoring or scry effects, too.

In general, it's a lot easier to run 1-ofs in most LCGs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Especially since a higher percentage of your deck consists of actual action cards rather than lands.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm thinking of getting the LOTR LCG Core Set. Should I get any of the expansions?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There's enough content in that set for you to figure out if you like to play the game and the way it's set up you can get a good amount of replay value out of it. I think the general recommendation for a single first purchase to go with the core set would be the first Hobbit Saga expansion, Over Hill and Under Hill.

This is a helpful list if you like to read, but also it's probably most helpful once you've played the Core Set a few times:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder
Total Cards: (50)
Hero: (3)
1x [TLD]Hama
1x [The Dread Realm]Arwen Undómiel
1x [The Grey Havens]Galdor of the Havens

Ally: (21)
3x [The Grey Havens]Mithlond Sea-watcher
3x [FoS]Trollshaw Scout
3x [FoS]Imladris Stargazer
3x [The Grey Havens]Sailor of Lune
3x [THoEM]The Riddermark's Finest
3x [THfG]Westfold Horse-Breaker
3x [The Grey Havens]Lindon Navigator

Attachment: (4)
2x [SaF]Miruvor
2x [TDM]Song of Battle

Event: (25)
3x [Core]Feint
3x [The Grey Havens]Skyward Volley
3x [Core]A Test of Will
2x [Core]Dwarven Tomb
3x [The Dread Realm]Elven-light
3x [Core]Hasty Stroke
3x [FoS]Daeron's Runes
3x [The Grey Havens]The Evening Star
2x [SaF]Risk Some Light

I made this deck with a discard theme in mind.

Main Goal is to get two - three copies of skyward volley into the discard pile to recycle them with Hama for lots of direct damage. Apply feint as needed.
Arwen provides some ressources as well as another discard mechanism.
I'm not 100% sold on Galdor but I really like his versatility during a possible mulligan, his Noldor trait for getting ressources from Arwen and his hand refill ability.

Could this work?
Maybe cut 1x Test of Will and 1x Hasty strokes cause I have dwarven tomb?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 18, 2016