Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://nytimes.com/2016/04/15/world/americas/dilma-rousseff-targeted-in-brazil-by-lawmakers-facing-graft-cases-of-their-own.html

quote:

Ms. Rousseff’s opponents in Congress include Éder Mauro, who is facing charges of torture and extortion from his previous stint as a police officer in Belém, a crime-weary city in the Amazon.

Another congressman aiming to impeach Ms. Rousseff: Beto Mansur, who is charged with keeping 46 workers at his soybean farms in Goiás State in conditions sodeplorable that investigators say the laborers were treated like modern-day slaves.

Almost daily, prosecutors reveal accusations involving Ms. Rousseff’s allies and adversaries in Congress, saying they pocketed bribes in the colossal graft scheme surrounding government-controlled energy companies.

Graphic photos even circulated this month of prostitutes operating in a wing of Congress reserved for committee deliberations, reminding Brazilians of the institution’s circuslike atmosphere these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol i forgot that collor's dad got off with murder because his argument was that he was trying to shoot someone else

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

Mr. Collor’s father, Arnon de Mello, set a precedent after fatally shooting a fellow senator on the Senate floor in 1963. Arnon de Mello managed to avoid prison after a court ruled that the episode was an accident — because he was aiming at another senator.

Amazing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

That's awful but they forgot to mention that all those bad people were allied with PT just a few months (or weeks or days) ago

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 15, 2016

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Years ago, I remember reading an old piece about the aftermath of the senate shooting incident. Basically, the family of the senator that took the bullet was utterly ruined. His sons had a hard time finding jobs, his widow was reduced to doing laundry for neighbors, all for fear that helping;hiring them would bring reprisals. And he was not even the intended target!

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

The full story is even better.

Arnon's target was 5 meters away from him. He shot 3 times, and missed all of them. The senator who died was a substitute senator, and the day he died was his last day as a senator.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lmao I never heard of that before, loving incredible

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magrov posted:

Arnon's target was 5 meters away from him. He shot 3 times, and missed all of them. The senator who died was a substitute senator, and the day he died was his last day as a senator.

Jeez, it was his last day before retirement and he wasn't even supposed to be there that day! Was he too old for this poo poo too?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Magrov posted:

That's not actually better holy poo poo. That's a horrible story.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Truly, a precedent was set.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Mr. Nemo posted:

That's not actually better holy poo poo. That's a horrible story.

I know, but i cant help finding it funny. Its a coping mechanism. Sorry.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Magrov posted:

I know, but i cant help finding it funny. Its a coping mechanism. Sorry.

Oh, it's hilarious tho. To think poo poo like this went on here a single generation ago is comedic, just like people can laugh at Blackadder and Torquemada in History of the World.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: Ecuador.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Resonance from Japan, and what a resonance!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I hope everyone is watching the livestream on the impeachment voting. It's loving amazing already

http://g1.globo.com/politica/processo-de-impeachment-de-dilma/cobertura-ao-vivo.html

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How bad it is? Just came back from a democracy rally

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Everybody knows poo poo's hosed.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
There was this guy who took all his speech time to sing a pro-impeachment song. It's amazing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Since presence is high, Dilma will probably lose by a landslide. Her best bet was having enough people not vote to prevent the opposition from reaching 342. But with over 500 of the 513 there, I wouldn't be surprised if the opposition gets 370 votes.

Of course, certain members of congress have already started talking about a pardon for Cunha, given his "heroic" resistance against Dilma.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
These guys are literally wrapping themselves in the flag lol

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

bagual posted:

There was this guy who took all his speech time to sing a pro-impeachment song. It's amazing.

Please tell me someone recorded that, it sounds amazing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My god, those loving speeches, it's hilarious.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

HardDisk posted:

My god, those loving speeches, it's hilarious.

They're making a loving meal of it. I could only handle like fifteen minutes. It's too much.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:lol: Bolsonaro.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Food for thought: A twitter account is checking the judicial history of the people voting in the session, and it's... hosed.

I mean, it's not surprising, but still...

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bolsonaro being booed is so bittersweet...

Jean Wyllis being heckled is just loving grim.

http://www.atlaspolitico.com.br/votacao/

Witness the dark ages coming to this loving country.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 18, 2016

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well, gently caress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Holy poo poo, this is unwatchable

fnox
May 19, 2013

Well only 4 votes left and it looks like the next 4 guys are gonna vote yes. What happens now, though? When does Dilma actually exit the presidency?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

fnox posted:

Well only 4 votes left and it looks like the next 4 guys are gonna vote yes. What happens now, though? When does Dilma actually exit the presidency?

She has to be convicted by the Senate but I think while they deliberate on it she's technically suspended from being president.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

Polidoro posted:

Holy poo poo, this is unwatchable

It's embarrassing even for Latin American standards. They're right now singing as if it was a loving Sao Paulo-Corinthians match.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i live on a somewhat affluent neighbourhood and they are sending loving fireworks and hollering

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

She has to be convicted by the Senate but I think while they deliberate on it she's technically suspended from being president.

Is it the senate who does it? I saw something about this subjecting her to a trial for impeachment, so I assumed there would be a court process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Is it the senate who does it? I saw something about this subjecting her to a trial for impeachment, so I assumed there would be a court process.

It's similar to the US where the house impeaches and the Senate convicts.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Tony Sorete posted:

It's embarrassing even for Latin American standards. They're right now singing as if it was a loving Sao Paulo-Corinthians match.

Lol yes, I came back just in time to see vote number 342. Never seen something like this

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
I always imagine Brazil like the city from Dredd.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Halt the process! Someone found a cellphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

If it were a bunch of guys in suits sitting down and raising their hands to vote nobody would be watching this.