Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm doing a re watch of Season 1 right now since I haven't seen it since I first watched it a couple years back. I am really confused regarding Vary's motivations. He is overhead by Arya conspiring in the dungeon about how they are waiting for when the time is right for the Targayans to cross the Narrow Sea and return to conquer the 7 kingdoms. But in that same episode Varys tries to have Dani assassinated. And considering in Season 5 how Varys openly supports Dani, and makes it clear that he has all along, why the gently caress did he try and have killed? So were the writers at this point planning on eventually introducing fake-Aeagon? Because nothing about Varys in the show makes any sense at all.

He isn't aware that Visreys isn't going to get himself killed, and any assassination attempt on Dany, successful or not, is going to get Drogo to cross the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Except Robert makes it extremely clear in the Small Council Meeting that he wants Visreys dead as well.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Regardless, the wine merchant only tried to sell to Dany. I'm pretty sure Varys and Illyrio had a hand in how all the other assasination attempts before that were unsuccessful.

ADWD was released after season 1 was filmed and aired, not sure how forthcoming GRRM was with D&D about fAegon before that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except Robert makes it extremely clear in the Small Council Meeting that he wants Visreys dead as well.

But if he didn't send an assassin for Viserys, then I understand the aim. Piss off Drogo so he finally invades with Viserys.

And Book-Varys's plan is dumb anyway, so *shrug*.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I guess that all makes some sense. And I've never read the books so I'm not familiar with Varys's plan in them.

Anyway I forgot how Jaimie was such a loving dickhead wow

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Varys' motivation is hard to suss out sometimes because he acts upon both his own wills and the will of the current king he serves. Like in season 4 Tyrion asks Varys to lie for him, and Varys says that he'll do no such thing because any lie from him to those in power is basically his own death.

Regardless of his support for Dany or Viserys, he was bound by keeping his own head on his shoulders that he execute King Robert's orders.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think Jaime would have become one of my favorite characters if he had not been as big of a dick at first.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think Jaime would have become one of my favorite characters if he had not been as big of a dick at first.

Too bad he goes through his entire redemption arc only for the showrunners to write, director, shoot, and then edit a scene where he rapes Cersei entirely by accident.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Id support a 13-14 episode final season even if it meant having to wait until June for it.

I think anyone reasonable would wait a few months for a larger final season that wraps everything up instead of just quickly resolving plotlines. I personally think they should have done 12 episodes from the start.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just got to the part in Season 1 where Ned refuses Renly's offer to take control of the capital before Joffrey succeeded to the throne. Goddamit Ned... just... godammit. :ughh:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I think the point is Stannis would be a terrible king because they would all be/are terrible kings. Kings are terrible. It's a system of governance based on arbitrary rule. The outcomes of that will always be unjust for the majority of people.

I think that's part of what GRRMs driving at anyway.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's best not to think too much about the logic behind these '8-dimensional chess' plans of Varys, Littlefinger, et al.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I don't think it's fair to compare Varys to Littlefinger in terms of scheming.

Littlefinger is a diabolical political mastermind who is only going to be defeated because he's operating under the belief there aren't ice monsters. He had a King killed right in front of everyone at a drat party and was never even questioned about it.

Half of Varys' plans either make no god drat sense or directly contradict his own intentions. He killed a Hand in secret and still had to go into hiding after it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OrthoTrot posted:

I think the point is Stannis would be a terrible king because they would all be/are terrible kings. Kings are terrible. It's a system of governance based on arbitrary rule. The outcomes of that will always be unjust for the majority of people.

I think that's part of what GRRMs driving at anyway.

Technically a wise, just, compassionate king would be the best form of government. Probably. It's not really ever been tested being human beings are poo poo.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Too bad he goes through his entire redemption arc only for the showrunners to write, director, shoot, and then edit a scene where he rapes Cersei entirely by accident.

If it's a redemption arc, he hasn't really completed it yet, in the show or the books. He's never really atoned for nearly killing Bran or anything like that, he's just been humbled and been able to understand the Starks a little better.

As for Varys' plan, his plan in the books does make more sense than the one in the show. In the books he thinks he's made himself the ideal King by carefully raising Aegon from birth to be that, and it seems likely that Aegon is, in reality, Illyrio's son. Both of these things go a long way towards explaining why Varys would back this boy. But in the show, Varys just says he decided many years ago that Westeros needed a ruler that was gentler than Stannis but stronger than Tommen/better than Robert was, who would not prey upon the smallfolk, could be inspiring and is loved by millions, has a powerful army and "the right family name".

But when he began plotting against the Baratheons, the only thing Viserys and Daenerys had was an illustrious family name, but one tarnished by the fact that their father was a horrible maniac and one of the worst kings in all of Westeros' history. They had no army, there was nothing about either one of them when they were younger that would imply they'd be gentle or strong, nor anything that would imply they'd have any kind of special relationship with the smallfolk. Varys and Illyrio do manage to get them an army in the Dothraki, but that still doesn't change the fact that their family name isn't purely one that inspires hope in the smallfolk and neither one has demonstrated any wisdom, gentleness, or strength at that point. By the time Daenerys demonstrates any sort of inclination towards being someone that people would follow, she has lost the majority of her army.

But ultimately, let's look at the claims Varys makes about what Daenerys is. Her name is renowned, but unlike a Fake Aegon the association she has is not specifically with Rhaegar, who was seemingly lionized by the people, but with the Mad King. She has the Unsullied, the dragons, and some sell swords, that's a relatively powerful army, though not one that could take on, say, the amount of men the Tyrells can field. She's proved an inspiration to some people, but the people of Westeros are not slaves in need of a "Mhysa". She is stronger than Tommen, but gentler than Stannis? She burns people with magic fire on a much greater scale than Stannis does, she has a similar conception of herself that Stannis does early on in the books/arguably throughout the show, in which she believes it's her "right" to be Queen because of various ephemeral reasons. To be more specific, she thinks she's the rightful ruler of Westeros because her name is Targaryen, in spite of the fact that they won their royalty through conquest and were themselves conquered in turn, making Stannis actually the rightful king even if one thinks he'd be a bad one. So there's nothing that makes her the "rightful" queen practically, at best "destiny" is what makes her the rightful queen, which is hardly something the anti-magic Varys would take as a positive belief. Speaking of Varys, he helped destabilize the realm for the sake of getting Viserys or Daenerys on the throne for the sake of "peace", but Robert's rule was quite peaceful. One could argue that the situation with the Lannisters would eventually explode into war, but if he really wanted to stop that he was in a position where he could've done so without destabilizing the seven kingdoms and helping the war along.

If the show reveals that Varys is somehow related to the Targaryens or has some other reason for always wanting them in power regardless of the consequences, then perhaps his motives will make sense. But if we're supposed to take what he says to Tyrion as his legitimate motives, it makes less sense than in the books for sure. What's more, for all that people are willing to decide that characters in the books are pointless without even knowing where most of those characters are going, there's a very simple reason why the circumstances surrounding Aegon in the books is more interesting than the lack of them: conflict is what makes stories interesting. Tyrion has now set in motion a division between the two "Targaryen" factions based on his own selfish desire for vengeance, Daenerys is less likely to view Aegon as someone worth hearing out if he has already arrived in Westeros and taken/tried to take the Iron Throne. But when she saw the vision of the Mummer's Dragon in the House of the Undying, it was being raised above a cheering crowd. So what if she makes it to Westeros finally, finds this boy that claims to be her nephew on the throne, and in the second "Dance of Dragons" that is being foreshadowed to happen she kills him, since he has no dragons? What if Tyrion's manipulations and Daenerys' dithering in Essos lead to her being viewed not as a savior, but as an interloper who killed the beloved new king of Westeros? The more conflict Daenerys experiences in her pursuit of the crown, the more interesting her story will be, and making all of her enemies obviously evil, literally faceless thugs who only present conflict in that they're violent towards people Daenerys cares about is a far less interesting obstacle for her or Tyrion to face. Hopefully with the Ironborn still crossing paths with Daenerys in the show she'll have more interesting obstacles to face, but so far in the show it feels like she gains power and loyalty far too easily compared to everyone else.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 16, 2016

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Re: Varys. Gonna post this again since it's the spoiler thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_hhVg9XUE

I think this best sums up what Varys's ultimate goal in the books might be. It makes a ton of sense, and it's a shame that almost all of it has been abandoned in the show. It's almost as if D&D decided somewhere in season 2 to get rid of all the Aegon stuff, and are desperately trying to cram Varys into the plot without having it be ham-fisted and odd.

it is

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's just one tell-tale sign that there's a severe divergence between the books and the adaptation, so the book hounds that want closure probably won't get it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

do you mean GRRM because that happens in the books too

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

counterfeitsaint posted:

Technically a wise, just, compassionate king would be the best form of government. Probably. It's not really ever been tested being human beings are poo poo.

The wise, just and compassionate are excluded from rule under feudalism because you can't act that way and resist the machinations of those who don't. That's part of the point of Neds storyline, or Renlys even I guess.

Or there's people like Robb who try to act justly and cause untold misery for the majority of the population. Even just rulers rule by caprice.

Plus the justice they serve is to preserve the feudal order. For Robb, or Aragorn for another example, destroying the lives of thousands in their wars is precisely upholding feudal justice. And they aren't wrong.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Frankenfinger posted:

Re: Varys. Gonna post this again since it's the spoiler thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_hhVg9XUE

I think this best sums up what Varys's ultimate goal in the books might be. It makes a ton of sense, and it's a shame that almost all of it has been abandoned in the show. It's almost as if D&D decided somewhere in season 2 to get rid of all the Aegon stuff, and are desperately trying to cram Varys into the plot without having it be ham-fisted and odd.

it is

Nah Varys is actually a merman and is secretly trying to melt the wall so that the resulting rise in sea level increases his people's territory. The only reason he wants Dany in Westeros is so that her Dragons will breath fire on the wall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OrthoTrot posted:

The wise, just and compassionate are excluded from rule under feudalism because you can't act that way and resist the machinations of those who don't. That's part of the point of Neds storyline, or Renlys even I guess.

Or there's people like Robb who try to act justly and cause untold misery for the majority of the population. Even just rulers rule by caprice.

Plus the justice they serve is to preserve the feudal order. For Robb, or Aragorn for another example, destroying the lives of thousands in their wars is precisely upholding feudal justice. And they aren't wrong.

And one of the themes on ASOIAF is that feudal systems that the power stems purely from the threat of direct violence. Every noble from the smallest lord to the King holds his power because if you don't submit, they'd cut your head off. It doesn't seem like there is any code of laws or any kind of formal legal system or rights. There are traditions for the nobility, but if the King says family X smells funny and that offends him, there's not much to stop him having them all killed.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

computer parts posted:

It's just one tell-tale sign that there's a severe divergence between the books and the adaptation, so the book hounds that want closure probably won't get it.
Or Varys simply dies before the endgame, and his plans with him, book or show. My money would be on this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

Or Varys simply dies before the endgame, and his plans with him, book or show. My money would be on this.

No way to verify that before the books finish.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

counterfeitsaint posted:

No it isn't you weirdo. Jesus christ, when did we get infested with monarchist sympathizers?

Where was the bit where Stannis banned laughing at feasts? I remember plenty of his humorless (though he himself would crack jokes) and arbitrary rulings but I really don't remember that bit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Technically an omnipresent, omniscient, fully impartial and infinitely wise, compassionate and fair God Emperor would be the best form of government, but we digress.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
ACOK Prologue:

quote:

The lower tables were crowded with knights, archers, and sellsword captains, tearing apart loaves of black bread soaked in fish stew. Here there was no loud laughter or raucous shouting such as marred the dignity of other men's feasts; Lord Stannis did not permit such.

He didn't ban all laughter (people laugh when Patchface runs into Cressen in the next paragraph), it seems like he just clamped down on people being obnoxious, which is quite reasonable.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A tyrannical monarchy requires the explicit existence of extrajudicial violence to function. A "benevolent" monarchy requires the implicit existence of extrajudicial violence to function. Neither for me.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Technically an omnipresent, omniscient, fully impartial and infinitely wise, compassionate and fair God Emperor would be the best form of government, but we digress.

Secret Nbiw is the true path to our salvation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just watched a bunch of those Alt Shift X videos and they were all really interesting. Then I remember that less than half of these theories will ever be addressed because they are not in the show and the books will never be finished.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Now watch Preston Jacobs videos for wacky theories from someone who reads too much into everything.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jacobs is entertaining precisely because he just takes something and runs with it. You can tell he's just having fun with his dumb bullshit.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The greatest formation of governance is a federated system of worker's councils, soviets, if you will,

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh I am well aware of the indepth analysis of Preston Jacobs... Frankly if GRRM had any sense of decency and humor he would realize that he'll never finish the books based on his original plans and thus should just push out the rest of the series following ALL of Preston Jacobs theories verbatim.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TK-42-1 posted:

Jacobs is entertaining precisely because he just takes something and runs with it. You can tell he's just having fun with his dumb bullshit.
One of the reasons I like Jacobs is that he doesn't just pick at details in the books, he actually pulls in other works from GRRM to talk about overarching themes and trends in his writing. It's interesting and also makes stuff like 'the Others are actually telekinetic mutants' seem believable when you know that telekinesis is a big thing GRRM has used before.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

and the books will never be finished.

By the way, Gurm said "sure" when someone asked him if he wants to rejoin the writing staff of the show when Winds was done. In case anyone was under the false impression that he was planning on working diligently on Dream after finishing Winds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lycus posted:

By the way, Gurm said "sure" when someone asked him if he wants to rejoin the writing staff of the show when Winds was done. In case anyone was under the false impression that he was planning on working diligently on Dream after finishing Winds.

Writing for the show will be wrapped up around summer 2017 so he better get a move on!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hah

hahahah

http://i.imgur.com/m3wT4j0.webm

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

:laffo:

Tell me this is from a skit and not reality

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

:laffo:

Tell me this is from a skit and not reality

Saturday Night Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Ashcans posted:

One of the reasons I like Jacobs is that he doesn't just pick at details in the books, he actually pulls in other works from GRRM to talk about overarching themes and trends in his writing. It's interesting and also makes stuff like 'the Others are actually telekinetic mutants' seem believable when you know that telekinesis is a big thing GRRM has used before.

Well since GRRM is lazy it makes sense that he'll just reuse his old ideas.

• Locked thread