Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Stop writing your questions with a slant that indicates America won the war of 1812, Jeopardy writers :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Was honestly surprised to see John Lithgow Playing Stannis Baratheon take it again at the end (though the final was an absolute freebie).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vulture Culture posted:

Was honestly surprised to see John Lithgow Playing Stannis Baratheon take it again at the end (though the final was an absolute freebie).

Yeah, that Final was super easy.

Sabrina was doing so well up until she muffed that Daily Double too. Shame.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does nobody know the term "World Wide Web" any more :corsair:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

I had to explain to my wife how it was different from "the Internet" (she obviously was familiar with the term) and how the Internet had been around in some form for a decade and a half before networked hypertext became a thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I said hyper text transfer protocol :(

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

haveblue posted:

Vulture Culture posted:

I had to explain to my wife how it was different from "the Internet" (she obviously was familiar with the term) and how the Internet had been around in some form for a decade and a half before networked hypertext became a thing.

Yeah, most people don't think of them as different things anymore, they just conflate the two.

I wasn't too sure of the answer myself, but I had heard of Tim Berners-Lee as the inventor of the World Wide Web a couple months ago on NPR or something like that, so that stuck in my mind for some reason. Was still second guessing myself because no way could that be the answer because it was too simple and didn't sound like what the clue was asking for, yet it was.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hell, I work in tech, know who Tim Berners-Lee is and was the weird kid who was online in 1995 and I couldn't think of World Wide Web. It's a very 90s term that I'd long forgotten about I guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

w w w dot

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

HookShot posted:

I said hyper text transfer protocol :(

If it makes you feel better, I said search engine.

It's super easy to forget that The World Wide Web is its own thing. Back in the old AOL days, I just assumed it was another nickname for the internet. Like cyberspace or information super highway or whatever.

Also, I was super impressed Harold: The Hunchback Who Lives in the Batcave was a clue.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

They were really reaching for hunchbacks to pad that one out though tbf

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Watching today's rerun ep from like last year, and I love that a guy who is obviously high on something wound up with a runaway lead going into final.

The reruns have been better than this season this week. Final jeopardy this week has been a giant amount of wtf.

E: they really had a trick category today. That us states category was just WTF. It was a battle of who could buzz in fastest after the clue was selected. No test of knowledge, just of reflexes.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lol yeah the writers really phoned it in with that category.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

E: they really had a trick category today. That us states category was just WTF. It was a battle of who could buzz in fastest after the clue was selected. No test of knowledge, just of reflexes.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Lol yeah the writers really phoned it in with that category.

Well, they were trying to trick the contestants with the $1000 clue, but yeah, after the first couple of clues, that was basically free money and didn't even get them. I think it didn't help that the first commercial break interrupted the flow of them going straight down the category, either.

That NY Yankees Final was pretty drat easy (and I'm not just saying that because I'm from NY and a Yankees fan), and Ricky walks away with a pretty good payday.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Finally caught up through my DVR.

So excited I knew that George III final that was a triple stumper. :smug:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"Peanuts" is not a group. They're not called "the Peanuts." This Final was bulllllshiittttttt

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Ah yes, notable fighter plane the SR-71.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

They tried to make an interceptor out of it:Lockheed YF-12.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Margaret on today's episode totally looks and sounds like a mellowed-out Lady Elaine Fairchild from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 15, 2016

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Those were some of the Jeopardy-est interviews ever.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

Those were some of the Jeopardy-est interviews ever.

gently caress me you were not joking. Margaret didn't have a story they just had a slightly sad conversation.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I seriously only knew that because of X-Men.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

gently caress me you were not joking. Margaret didn't have a story they just had a slightly sad conversation.

For those who missed it, here is the conversation verbatim:

A: "Hey, Margaret, you're a librarian, but what do you do?"

M: "I knit and I have cats."

A: "Good for you."

[ALEX SIDE-STEPS TO THE NEXT CONTESTANT]

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Slow talkin' Margaret with the big payday, I like it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Definitely Camilla from Call the Midwife.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hate it when slow talkers win.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Margaret owns

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Given the way she talks, her buzzer skill is startling. She's definitely given the most impressive single game performance since Matt Jackson, and probably came close to setting a show record for most money accumulated before the first commercial break. I don't think she ever buzzed in and gave a wrong answer that whole game, which is a really terrifying Alex Jacob thing. She doesn't wager quite as conservatively as I expected on Daily Doubles, either.

Really looking forward to seeing the crazy cat lady back.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vulture Culture posted:

Given the way she talks, her buzzer skill is startling. She's definitely given the most impressive single game performance since Matt Jackson, and probably came close to setting a show record for most money accumulated before the first commercial break. I don't think she ever buzzed in and gave a wrong answer that whole game, which is a really terrifying Alex Jacob thing. She doesn't wager quite as conservatively as I expected on Daily Doubles, either.

She also never seemed to buzz in for a question she wasn't absolutely sure she knew the answer to. Even though she buzzed in for like everything.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Vulture Culture posted:

Really looking forward to seeing the crazy cat lady back.

Alex Jacob is the guy currently winning the rerun eps, and I think I'm in love. He looks less obviously high compared to his first episode, but I love that he just has fun with his runaway leads.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Goodbye Lady Nyquil.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Conversely, McKinney does not

Edit: I actually just finished the episode and holy gently caress what a game and what a comeback

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 16, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Conversely, McKinney does not

Great comeback by Andrew though.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

I actually just finished the episode and holy gently caress what a game and what a comeback

Losing with over 30,000 has to be painful. Especially when it's by just a dollar.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Losing with over 30,000 has to be painful. Especially when it's by just a dollar.
All 3 of those players deserved to have long streaks, and would have with a better matchup. That timing sucked for everyone (including the viewers).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

All 3 of those players deserved to have long streaks, and would have with a better matchup. That timing sucked for everyone (including the viewers).

Exactly what I thought. Such a shame.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Alex choking up when wishing his mom a happy 95th birthday. :3:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HookShot posted:

I hate it when slow talkers win.

Yeah. She's obviously smart, and I can't hate her for being good, but UGH SPEED UP drat IT!!!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Wow drat, that sounds like quite an episode. In this latest one Andrew blew through everybody and ignored Alex tempting him to try to set the one day record, though he really should have gone for it on that last Daily Double. It came up with one 2k question left, and with his lead he could have wagered almost 30k and still been guaranteed a win. Safer to try to double up through a daily double than double jeopardy, in my opinion.

I'm hoping he puts a nice streak together, though I'm biased since my name is also Andrew. He does have this weird sort of Jeopardy charisma though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm waiting for people to hate him for some reason. That seems to be the case with interesting, successful players lately.