Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You can use the Manual of Gainful Exercise on him, though I wouldn't because those carry over into BG2 if you use them on yourself, but not if you use them on NPCs. I use the component of BG2 Tweaks that gives Minsc and Edwin their BG2 stats, which are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

lol if you don't edit your companions stats if they were better in the first game. My Imoen dualclassed at Thief level 9 when I started Dragonspear and she's keeping those skill points!

I wonder if those stat boosts were a remnant of a 3rd Edition style "Gain an attribute point every fourth level" feature.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Any recommendations for a fresh playthrough of BG1EE as a dragon-sorc? Just got to the mines and I feel a bit under powered. Minsc helps though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
BG2EE nerfed greater restoration back to a single target touch spell. This almost cost me my ironman :saddowns:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Oh my god I just beat the Chess event (using the stair trick).

Thats like the one thing of BG1 Ive never been able to beat. :aaaaa:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, about your earlier question, Edwin is likely to leave you eventually, so in case you haven't gotten to Spellhold yet, kicking Edwin out before you go in and sending him home wouldn't be a bad idea.
I'm not sure if you can get around party members leaving by just reloading and hoping the game fires another party dialogue instead, it's been forever since I played with the default behavior for that. It's pretty much the first thing I always mod away.

I'm already in the Spellhold dungeon. However, my Reputation is at 16 at the moment, so unless I gain a couple more points through Spellhold and the Underdark, I should be okay. I could load an earlier save and switch him out for Imoen without losing much progress, but I don't think I have that many useful scrolls to give to her, so I don't know how effective she would be. (I suppose I could always use console command cheats to alter my reputation, but I've heard that the latest EE update disabled the console.)

Also, playing through the first floor of the Spellhold dungeon, am I the only one who thinks it was a bad design decision to give the player gems that will let you, without warning, summon both a Pit Fiend & a Greater Wolfwere, neither of which can be hurt unless you have +3 weapons?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Don't free any slaves while you're down there and you should be okay.

And the console still works, just needs to be activated in the LUA file now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kavak posted:

Don't free any slaves while you're down there and you should be okay.

And the console still works, just needs to be activated in the LUA file now.

Would I need something like Notepad++ to do that?

Also, will re enabling the console disable achievements?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Would I need something like Notepad++ to do that?

Also, will re enabling the console disable achievements?

Yes and I don't know.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There are 2 groups of slaves you can free for +1 reputation each. You'll be fine even if you free them.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Any text editor is fine for editing Baldur.lua, though Notepad++ is a simply good option.

Console doesn't disable achievements. I have Epic "Class" cheevos just from loving aorund with the console.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Any text editor is fine for editing Baldur.lua, though Notepad++ is a simply good option.

Console doesn't disable achievements. I have Epic "Class" cheevos just from loving aorund with the console.

Speaking of Epic level, what Epic level abilities are worth taking once I get to that point? I'm playing as a Dwarven Defender, so Whirlwind Attack seems like a good choice?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So what's the deal with Durlags Tower, all I see is these 4 upper levels. Is that it?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
In the basement there's a secret door leading to the labyrinth below the tower.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Suspicious posted:

In the basement there's a secret door leading to the labyrinth below the tower.

Where at i''m not finding it at all

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
From the stairs, go straight up to the wall and a bit to the left. Wait a little while for the secret door to be revealed.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Epic level, what Epic level abilities are worth taking once I get to that point? I'm playing as a Dwarven Defender, so Whirlwind Attack seems like a good choice?

1000 whirlwind attacks. It does not work as advertised, what it really does is give you 10 attacks for each activation. At that level you auto hit as long as it's not a mage or something with protections so yeah...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I'm still not finding it.

Went and got Ike to give a tour. Ran away from Demon Guy,

I've left them there like 10 minutes. Dunno.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That's not the basement. Click the stairs on the left side of the central pillar on the first floor.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, it was bullshit for me to find too, even with a guide.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanks I found it.

Holy poo poo it was well worth the loving grind. Immoen is now Dual Mage/ Thief and I concentrated all her skills into find trap previously. Very satisfying to cast invisibility then back-stab.

Although, unsure if this is working with my +1 shortbow she has or not. It should.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

De'Arnise Keep cleared! Aerie's Color Spray memorization transformed into a Charm Person right before we met that brainwashed guard, what a convenience*! Sadly I did not have the reputation points to burn on murdering the Lady Delcia, so I must imagine she was found with an arrow in the back of her head right after leaving the keep. Now to see how the Strongholds for Followers mod works out.

Has anyone else had their game crashing every tab out since the 2.0 update? Nobody's responded to my support ticket yet.

*This accidentally restored all the spells I'd cast- I think doing anything in EEKeeper with a save causes that, so the party has only had to sleep once since the start of the game. I imagine everyone is wired on Maztican coffee.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hollismason posted:

Thanks I found it.

Holy poo poo it was well worth the loving grind. Immoen is now Dual Mage/ Thief and I concentrated all her skills into find trap previously. Very satisfying to cast invisibility then back-stab.

Although, unsure if this is working with my +1 shortbow she has or not. It should.

No, backstab in bg1 only works with thief melee weapons, you have to be behind them and invisible for it to go off, it's such a huge multiplier that it usually kills things instantly. Not at all uncommon to get 50-70 point backstabs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Developer " Hey we're low on quests what should we do?"

Developer " Put in a another dead kid retrieval quest"

Like seriously , what is up with all the dead children retrieval quests. At this point it's become comical. I think this is the 4th one I've done.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Washout posted:

No, backstab in bg1 only works with thief melee weapons, you have to be behind them and invisible for it to go off, it's such a huge multiplier that it usually kills things instantly. Not at all uncommon to get 50-70 point backstabs.

And if you don't care about exploit abuse, later in the game Imoen can use mislead + black blade of disaster + optionally time stop for some truly unbelievable backstab cheese.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm still digging through Baldur's Gate. I figure I've put in around 40 hours. I've never played it before. So still wandering around in Chapter 5 trying to pick up quests and dig into the tower. It's to me like playing a less better version of Pillars of Eternity. It's good though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I'm still digging through Baldur's Gate. I figure I've put in around 40 hours. I've never played it before. So still wandering around in Chapter 5 trying to pick up quests and dig into the tower. It's to me like playing a less better version of Pillars of Eternity. It's good though.

I'm the other way around, to me PoE was wayyyy too easy, and I was playing it blind on the second hardest difficulty. But BG1 is basically just a prologue for BG2, which is a much better game on every level.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Max Wilco posted:

Entire pages could be written about Greater Whirlwind vs Critical Strike. In the end it comes down to this:
GWW against many enemies means 9.5 hits per round (you can still critically miss).
Compare that to how many attacks you can reach with Improved Haste. In many cases, stacking Imp Haste and Crit Strike will give you better results. You can reach 10 guaranteed critical hits dual-wielding with a weapon that gives an extra attack in the off-hand.
There are things going on beyond that - some enemies have low enough AC for GWW to fall off, and how much a critical hit matters always depends on whether or not an enemy is immune to the extra damage from crits. It's only really clear-cut for Monks, who can't be hasted and need GWW.
But generally, I'd decide based on how many Improved Hastes you can cast and how many attacks that gives your warriors. Generally, dual-wielding means getting either nothing but Crit Strike or a lot of Crit Strike and maybe some GWWs down the line, while for Minsc (no Grand Mastery) with a two-handed sword favoring GWW might be better.

Hardiness is a good defensive ability, especially since armor class becomes fairly neglibigle at higher levels unless you really commit to it. But Hardiness doesn't stack with the Dwarven Defender's class ability afaik. So your main character can safely ignore that and pick up more GWW/Crit Strikes. Other warrior types barring those that also know arcane spells will want some, but not too many because Hardiness has a decent leveling duration while the offensive HLAs don't.

The rest is pretty worthless or at least so niche that you shouldn't bother.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

Entire pages could be written about Greater Whirlwind vs Critical Strike. In the end it comes down to this:
GWW against many enemies means 9.5 hits per round (you can still critically miss).
Compare that to how many attacks you can reach with Improved Haste. In many cases, stacking Imp Haste and Crit Strike will give you better results. You can reach 10 guaranteed critical hits dual-wielding with a weapon that gives an extra attack in the off-hand.
There are things going on beyond that - some enemies have low enough AC for GWW to fall off, and how much a critical hit matters always depends on whether or not an enemy is immune to the extra damage from crits. It's only really clear-cut for Monks, who can't be hasted and need GWW.
But generally, I'd decide based on how many Improved Hastes you can cast and how many attacks that gives your warriors. Generally, dual-wielding means getting either nothing but Crit Strike or a lot of Crit Strike and maybe some GWWs down the line, while for Minsc (no Grand Mastery) with a two-handed sword favoring GWW might be better.

Hardiness is a good defensive ability, especially since armor class becomes fairly neglibigle at higher levels unless you really commit to it. But Hardiness doesn't stack with the Dwarven Defender's class ability afaik. So your main character can safely ignore that and pick up more GWW/Crit Strikes. Other warrior types barring those that also know arcane spells will want some, but not too many because Hardiness has a decent leveling duration while the offensive HLAs don't.

The rest is pretty worthless or at least so niche that you shouldn't bother.

Well, theres also smite. I mean if you don't want to guaranteed stun enemy mages through their stone skin / PfMW that's up to you but...

Greater Death Blow gets a bad rap but GDB + GWW + a sling can clear plenty of very dangerous monsters very fast (beholders, demons). That said, I don't tend to take it myself either. I tend to take smite + some critical strikes and then maybe 1 ww/gww for the odd case where I lose IH.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
By the time you get HLAs, mind flayers and beholders aren't really a problem anymore. Also pros use fire seeds with deathblow. :smuggo:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Goddamn does this game throw a lot at you and fast. The variety is great but from a roleplaying perspective it's a nightmare- just give me a break or a merchant so I can offload my loot, don't twist my arm into doing Firkraag's Dungeon* just because I want to drop the loving acorns off! :cry: It really makes me wonder why they didn't include a post-game to do all this stuff without the pressure of Imoen or your soul being held hostage. It seems like they meant to- the finale implies you're leaving Suldanessellar to do more adventuring, but Throne of Bhaal says you stayed there for a long time until they pressured you into leaving. Wonder if Bioware was originally planning a TOTSC style expansion with Watcher's Keep as the new Durlag's Tower that would've included a post-game?

Dream!Imoen's dialogue sounds like it was salvaged from the original draft where they fridged/pulled a Casca on her. I would love it if someone has or could make a good source on the development of BG II's plot.

Bioware seems to have gone backwards with the Reputation system in BG II- I saved the circus and D'Arnise Keep and I got nothing. It's like they wanted to avoid the problems of evil party members taking off if you do too much good, but they went too far. I think it's actually impossible to get 20 Reputation before Throne of Bhaal unless you donate gold ASAP. I guess it could be them trying to reflect Amn's lovely attitude and society, but freeing slaves shouldn't be a bonus under that.

*"Gods no! We've murdered our brother Paladins under an illusion! We must regain our honor by slaying the fiend responsible for this trage-ooo, plate armor, strip that off them."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the weirdest thing are all the dead kids you have to retrieve and that someone in the group is obviously blabbing about all the murders I'm committing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I don't have a link but I'm pretty sure the original plan was indeed to have Imoen die at or shortly after the rescue attempt, which is why she ends up not having as much content as others even post-rescue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kavak posted:

Goddamn does this game throw a lot at you and fast. The variety is great but from a roleplaying perspective it's a nightmare- just give me a break or a merchant so I can offload my loot, don't twist my arm into doing Firkraag's Dungeon* just because I want to drop the loving acorns off! :cry: It really makes me wonder why they didn't include a post-game to do all this stuff without the pressure of Imoen or your soul being held hostage. It seems like they meant to- the finale implies you're leaving Suldanessellar to do more adventuring, but Throne of Bhaal says you stayed there for a long time until they pressured you into leaving. Wonder if Bioware was originally planning a TOTSC style expansion with Watcher's Keep as the new Durlag's Tower that would've included a post-game?

Dream!Imoen's dialogue sounds like it was salvaged from the original draft where they fridged/pulled a Casca on her. I would love it if someone has or could make a good source on the development of BG II's plot.

Bioware seems to have gone backwards with the Reputation system in BG II- I saved the circus and D'Arnise Keep and I got nothing. It's like they wanted to avoid the problems of evil party members taking off if you do too much good, but they went too far. I think it's actually impossible to get 20 Reputation before Throne of Bhaal unless you donate gold ASAP. I guess it could be them trying to reflect Amn's lovely attitude and society, but freeing slaves shouldn't be a bonus under that.

*"Gods no! We've murdered our brother Paladins under an illusion! We must regain our honor by slaying the fiend responsible for this trage-ooo, plate armor, strip that off them."

If BG2 has a flaw, it's that there's so much to do but it never really fits in outside of Chapter 2. Also, the Chapters are weird and of differing lengths, particularly if you're the sort of person who does side quests only when it feels like the game is giving you time to do them.

Chapter 1: Escape Irenicus' Lair (no opportunity to really sidequest)
Chapter 2: Do A Whole Ton Of Quests To Earn Gold (perfect chance to sidequest but only to a certain point)
Chapter 3: Attack Some Vampires Or Some Thieves (no real chance)
Chapter 4: Island Adventure featuring Spellhold and Sea Lizards (no real chance)
Chapter 5: Underdark (basically railroaded)
Chapter 6: Kill A Vampire (basically railroaded - but I guess you could do some here under guise of getting ready to face Bodhi?)
Chapter 7: I'll See You In Hell, Irenicus (basically railroaded)

And that's not even getting into how things like romance talks flat out stop in certain areas - like, say, the entirety of Chapter 5 - and so I'm honestly quite mystified how people experienced them without pushing them along. When I did my most recent playthrough, I did basically every bit of content properly and still had to CLUA console like twenty of them.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Kavak posted:

There are 13 reputation +1 opportunities in SoA (excluding new EE content, don't know about those). Here's my checklist:

[ ] Promenade - Circus (talk to Amnish soldier after)
[ ] Slums - Girl in slave ship (give her gold)
[ ] Slums - Free the slaves quest
[ ] Bridge - Tanner quest (find proof before exposing him)
[ ] Bridge - Pawn Neb's head at the government district during the illithium quest
[ ] Temple - Complete the unseeing eye quest
[ ] Temple - Complete the fallen paladins quest (order of noble heart)
[ ] Trademeet - Complete druid and genie embargo quests (don't poison the grove)
[ ] Trademeet - Resolve the family feud (give the item to the mayor)
[ ] Trademeet - Save the young couple from skin dancers (tanner quest must be done first)
[ ] Umar hills - Complete the shade lord quest (don't ask for reward when accepting quest)
[ ] Underdark - Free the human slaves in the drow city (arm them)
[ ] Underdark - Free the slaves in the mindflayer city

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
haha it's okay, first time through totsc i thought proper dungeon was just the 3-4 upper tiny levels in durlag's were it. i was like seriously, i don't get what the big deal is, guess i'll go end the game now. mind was loving blown when i found the real dungeon a few playthroughs later (i had no internet back in those days)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Uh is there some way to mitigate the penalty price evil parties pay at shops?

Are there any mods that get around that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Uh is there some way to mitigate the penalty price evil parties pay at shops?

Are there any mods that get around that?

Tweak pack has an option that can either set prices to standard, or give you a discount for exceptionally low reputation if you'd prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

There are 13 reputation +1 opportunities in SoA (excluding new EE content, don't know about those). Here's my checklist:

I'll make note of these and go talk to the guard and see if I can still get that point for the circus. Thanks!

What I am really suprised by is that there are no mods for playing after the ending. I even created a Reddit account to ask the BG subreddit :suicide: