Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

Is it normal for the body ball in Catacombs to die? While backtracking the first one, on the stairwell, went past me, and rather than come back up it blew up at the bottom and dropped an undead bone shard.

It's normal! If you look around carefully near each body ball you may be able to figure out why it happened.

It's cool to figure out on your own but if you really want to know there's a skeleton with a hat somewhere in the general vicinity of each of the two balls. He runs away if you get close, but if you kill him, the ball he's controlling crashes into a wall and breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

sure, i'll take it :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm going to be honest; I've invaded like 50 people so far and I have yet to see a serious sorcery build or a faith build. I had a guy chuck some lightning at me and saw a dude heal after I died but yeah, PVP is not really friendly to magic use, at least until late game. I've considered putting some points in sorcery just to smack people who try to run off and heal but the casting time for most poo poo is too long and it allows dudes to get distance easily with just a bit of rolling.

What you should do is find a low requirement but solid weapon like some longsword, turn it raw, and just keep Dex/Str as low as humanly possible, imo. People say there really are not many faith/int scaling weapons around; I have not seen any.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Shortest Path posted:

How do I get past double dragons? All of the paths I've tried have been dead ends. Is there a cleverly disguised switch/lever somewhere?

If you're talking about Lothric castle and you mean just past their area, then go to the right of the huge gate, you'll find a different room with stairs that will lead you to, among other things, a lever for the gate. If you're talking about the dragons themselves. I suggest just pulling out a bow and making them into a pincushion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's normal! If you look around carefully near each body ball you may be able to figure out why it happened.

It's cool to figure out on your own but if you really want to know there's a skeleton with a hat somewhere in the general vicinity of each of the two balls. He runs away if you get close, but if you kill him, the ball he's controlling crashes into a wall and breaks.

Does the second one do anything?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to lose my mind dealing with the new version of the Anor Londo archers

What a double-edged callback; my only respite is imagining how furious the people who actually had trouble with that part in Dark Souls will be when they get here

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lid posted:

Does the second one do anything?

it has a small crab in it.

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've chickened out and used a homeward bone only to find out there was a bonfire a short, enemy free jaunt away. I love this game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

........oh

There is no winning, huh.

It really, REALLY depends on one's definition of winning.

I expect the DLC will give us some context.

bummer cars
Apr 3, 2009
I'm with the watchdog covenant, but I'm not getting summoned. Some times I notice my covenant symbol glowing, do I have to do something when that happens to get summoned?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm going to lose my mind dealing with the new version of the Anor Londo archers

What a double-edged callback; my only respite is imagining how furious the people who actually had trouble with that part in Dark Souls will be when they get here

Died to it like a dozen times in the first game, easily beat it in this one. I'd wager to say its significantly easier here. Mainly because the hard part of it in DS 1 was that the silver knight blocks your progress, so you have to kill him on the incredibly tiny ledge. You have little room to work with and the other archer will still be shooting at you. In DS3, there are more archers but you have way more room to work with and could easily sprint past them all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tonight I've hit what I truly would call a wall in a very late game boss. Lorian and Lothric. I can't get the hang of dodging even Lorian consistantly. His teleports gently caress me up. Once Lothric climbs on, I'm completely hosed. I finally called it for the night because I wasn't making any progress or getting any better. I'll come back to it tomorrow but does anyone have any tips?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

NESguerilla posted:

That is straight bullshit that old demon king's fire attacks go right through the architecture.

Is that a bug? :wtf:

Almost everything goes through walls and scenery it seems--not quite, but you get the idea. Be happier at the stuff that doesn't.

ShadowMar posted:

sure, i'll take it :v:

Happened to me earlier, but it took too long and I got disconnected instead :smith:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

bummer cars posted:

I'm with the watchdog covenant, but I'm not getting summoned. Some times I notice my covenant symbol glowing, do I have to do something when that happens to get summoned?

hanging around in farron seems to help a bit, thats about it

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

My favorite part of going in there was the shrine maiden just being like, "what the gently caress are you doing here? Haha sucks to be you!" Also the fire keepers eyes, which you give to the fire keeper, but in that world its dark, and you're using the eyes to bring the dark world, so basically the only reason it can happen is because it happened before!?

Also I just beat it, some thoughts, It seems that the final boss is the player character from ds1? kinda cool. Also why was all the civilization mashed together into a gray hellscape? Why did the sun turn into the darksign? Why did the world go completely black when I put out the fire?

Cant wait to get into NG+ and undo the fuckups I did previously

??? I only went there after beating the game and there was literally nobody there. You're saying if You go there before that there's an NPC?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it has a small crab in it.

Luckily I can't even find the skeleton. Strangely while backtracking theres an area I can see: in the room above the second rolling ball you're forced along one side with a tonne of pots, but theres another side that cant be reached due to a hole in the floor. However there are enemies over there so it seems like you can reach it?

Todo88
Apr 16, 2016

Really enjoying the Assassin with the Uchigatana in my main hand. The scene in Undead Settlement where the dudes from the opening cut scene seem to be dead after crawling towards the dragon is crushing. I wish I knew more about the lore from DS1 and DS2 as I feel like I'm missing out on a lot, but man this game is outstanding.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Shortest Path posted:

How do I get past double dragons? All of the paths I've tried have been dead ends. Is there a cleverly disguised switch/lever somewhere?

If you mean the first time you see them, drop off the bridge to the left onto a little ledge and stick to that wall. If you are past that already, go to the room where one of the dragon's hands is sticking through the door. Attack it a few times and one of those goo-snakes will pop out of it. You can sit back and toss firebombs at it though. After it dies, both dragons die too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

Luckily I can't even find the skeleton. Strangely while backtracking theres an area I can see: in the room above the second rolling ball you're forced along one side with a tonne of pots, but theres another side that cant be reached due to a hole in the floor. However there are enemies over there so it seems like you can reach it?

You can, and that's where the other skeleton is. I forget how to get there but it's a bit circuitous.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Krinkle posted:

??? I only went there after beating the game and there was literally nobody there. You're saying if You go there before that there's an NPC?

yeah, the vendor lady in the chair.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why would you buff curse, from. why

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Level 85 trying to do some darkmoon blade can't get a bite anywhere. If I'd known where the covenant was sooner I would have done it when I was still a low enough level to participate in the pvp clusterfuck area at the cathedral.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm going to be honest; I've invaded like 50 people so far and I have yet to see a serious sorcery build or a faith build. I had a guy chuck some lightning at me and saw a dude heal after I died but yeah, PVP is not really friendly to magic use, at least until late game. I've considered putting some points in sorcery just to smack people who try to run off and heal but the casting time for most poo poo is too long and it allows dudes to get distance easily with just a bit of rolling.

What you should do is find a low requirement but solid weapon like some longsword, turn it raw, and just keep Dex/Str as low as humanly possible, imo. People say there really are not many faith/int scaling weapons around; I have not seen any.

I've since ditched my attempts to do sorcery, at least for the time being. The casting times are simply too long for too little return, and weapons do way more damage. It might be different if I had very high investment in both int and faith and then used a dark or chaos weapon, but I doubt it.

So far, the best compromise I have found is using the pyromancy Chaos Bed Vestiges as a middle ground, because it's hitting a big area for 600+ damage with bare minimum requirements invested into it, and doesn't take as long to cast as the stronger soul arrow spells.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you mean the first time you see them, drop off the bridge to the left onto a little ledge and stick to that wall. If you are past that already, go to the room where one of the dragon's hands is sticking through the door. Attack it a few times and one of those goo-snakes will pop out of it. You can sit back and toss firebombs at it though. After it dies, both dragons die too.

:psyduck:

Well that's a thing I guess. Thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

LibbyM posted:

Level 85 trying to do some darkmoon blade can't get a bite anywhere. If I'd known where the covenant was sooner I would have done it when I was still a low enough level to participate in the pvp clusterfuck area at the cathedral.

There wasn't any action there, either. There's a sweet spot at like lvl 15-20, and by sweet spot I mean "you might get summoned a time or two per hour" and after that point it's basically dead forever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hey I've plugged some time into this today and have a few questions:

When and where can I buy Titanite Shards?

When and how do I go about respeccing?

Are DEX weapons good? It seemed like STR was the obvious choice in DS2, but I'm kinda interested in respeccing to the Uchigatana and a greatsword I found earlier today.

If I remove the Fire from my Fire Battle Axe +3, will it remain a +3?

Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress nameless king in the second phase jesus

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I've accidentally hosed up every single sidequest so far. So many dead NPCs :smith:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I just earned three ears in one summon. :stare: Duty called in the catacombs, and the game spawned me way the hell away from the host and in a nest full of those stupid skeleton ninjas. While I was taking care of them and trying to get to the host, one of the red phantoms died, giving me a new ear. Two white phantoms managed to get got before I arrived on the scene, which was at that rope bridge the skeletons chase you across. The bridge had already been destroyed, but the host and the invader were fighting at the bottom of where you can slide down the bridge. I pulled out my cross bow and plinked away at the invader while they fought, hitting him maybe once out of two dozen shots, but just the host killed off the invader, another red phantom shows up. This one spawns like, directly in front of me. We duke it out, I kill him 'cause I got some range and poise on the red halberd, and get a third concord ear.

Joyous of my victory and collection of ears, I jump off the bridge, knowing that it won't matter in the least what happens to me in another world; I already have my three ears. Return to my world to find that the RIng of Sacrifice I was wearing has broken. :v:

While I was typing this, I got summoned to another fight in Cathedral. The red ran up the elevator near the chapel, but for me, the elevator wasn't there -- he just got flung out of existence on my screen. Host pulls the switch (also invisible to me) and he and another phantom clearly stand on the place an elevator would be once it comes down. I figured the assets just haven't loaded in for whatever reason, but nope -- as soon as I try to hop on, I fall right through.

The life of a sentinel is strange.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Regy Rusty posted:

Tonight I've hit what I truly would call a wall in a very late game boss. Lorian and Lothric. I can't get the hang of dodging even Lorian consistantly. His teleports gently caress me up. Once Lothric climbs on, I'm completely hosed. I finally called it for the night because I wasn't making any progress or getting any better. I'll come back to it tomorrow but does anyone have any tips?

The twin princes is one of the easier bosses to dodge. If he spawns in front of you dodge accordingly. If he spawns behind you dodge forward or prepare for a ranged slam attack. During the second phase try to get behind him if you have a short weapon. Otherwise keep attacking him and more importantly his brother if you can get behind him.

Overall you should be very mobile during the fight and keep dodging and attacking when necessary.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Glo posted:

Are DEX weapons good? It seemed like STR was the obvious choice in DS2, but I'm kinda interested in respeccing to the Uchigatana and a greatsword I found earlier today.

Dex is way better in this game. They also brought back Sharp infusions from Demon's Souls, which massively increase the Dex scaling on any weapon; for example, I expect my Estoc (which starts at like D/D) to have A Dex scaling by the time I get it to +10. So a whole lot more weapons are "Dex weapons" if you infuse for it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Hey I've plugged some time into this today and have a few questions:

When and where can I buy Titanite Shards?

When and how do I go about respeccing?

If I remove the Fire from my Fire Battle Axe +3, will it remain a +3?

Thanks!

You need to find some ashes in Farron swamp, behind an illusory wall. It's in the corner of the tower with a big wolf in it. . Give the ashes to the maiden in Firelink.

You can respec by joining a covenant in the Cathedral. It requires a Pale Tongue and you can only do it 5 times per game. It also voids one of the NPC questlines, so it might be worth looking up to see what matters more. You can wait until the endgame to finish the questline first, and then respec without any penalty, but that's a long wait.

Dex weapons are good, yeah. Uchi is a great early weapon for PvE and PvP. Estoc is good, spears are kinda fun. Quality build gives you the most options, but honestly straight swords and katanas are both very good and most of them have pretty low requirements. There aren't a lot of weapons with good innate scaling this time, so sharp infusion turns basically any weapon into a good "dex" weapon, which is really nice. The Broadsword you find in Undead Settlement is probably the best weapon in the game right now, tbh, and it basically has no reqs.

Yes, upgrades will remain if you swap elements. Also you don't need to use a shriveling stone if you are changing it to something else, just infuse it with another stone and it will overwrite it. Only use shriveling if you want to make it a plain +3.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ahh god dammit, missed smouldering lake before the boss and hosed up that npc's questline :doh:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I don't think I've ever successfully completed a Dark Souls sidequest without a guide.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Love all the call backs in this game, not only to the other dark souls games, demons souls, blood bourne, etc., but also to the spin doctors.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Beat the game, I thought the final boss was neat. Ending was...a Dark Souls ending I guess.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You need to find some ashes in Farron swamp, behind an illusory wall. It's in the corner of the tower with a big wolf in it. . Give the ashes to the maiden in Firelink.

You can respec by joining a covenant in the Cathedral. It requires a Pale Tongue and you can only do it 5 times per game. It also voids one of the NPC questlines, so it might be worth looking up to see what matters more. You can wait until the endgame to finish the questline first, and then respec without any penalty, but that's a long wait.

Dex weapons are good, yeah. Uchi is a great early weapon for PvE and PvP. Estoc is good, spears are kinda fun. Quality build gives you the most options, but honestly straight swords and katanas are both very good and most of them have pretty low requirements. The Broadsword you find in Undead Settlement is probably the best weapon in the game right now, tbh, and it basically has no reqs.

Yes, upgrades will remain if you swap elements. Also you don't need to use a shriveling stone if you are changing it to something else, just infuse it with another stone and it will overwrite it. Only use shriveling if you want to make it a plain +3.

Thanks for this. I got a pale tongue from somewhere in Undead Settlement, so it looks like I'll be swinging into DEX.

Also glad that removing infusions won't gently caress up upgrades. I could've seen that easily going the other way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Work Friend Keven posted:

but also to the spin doctors.

Holy poo poo

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I never met Ahri in the Catacombs, and I'm at the last area of the game now. Can anyone drop me the Elite Knight set? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Is there actually any decent way to punish people for doing nothing but run in circles? It's kind of tedious to try and kill someone when they just run in circles summoning phantoms for half an hour.