Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When Pucci's not on page, people should be asking "Where's Pucci?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gravity theme is cool, but pucci basically has no characterization whatsoever other than 'he's evil but doesn't think he's evil' which would normally be a fun trait when given to someone with actual personality, but pucci has nothing of the sort. vento aureo's ending is kinda bleh in general but at least diavolo is more interesting as an actual character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BaDandy posted:

??? It's not like that's completely out of left field, considering his name, his god-complex, his image, the fact that he models himself after Egyptian Pharaohs in SDC (so, god-kings), Giorno having some pretty Jesus-y imagery to him on occasion, and it's not like the whole thing with Pucci changes that he's still a terrible person who used his charm and vampiric powers to manipulate a naive and sheltered teenager who was studying to become a priest, nor does his plan for "Heaven" change that it was ultimately to control fate to his liking, which is totally and completely in character for him.

It's not about being in character or out of character it's about deification of a character I liked because he was a standard rear end in a top hat villain you see in shonen whose qualities are exacerbated by his ability to be unbelievably cruel and childish. Once you start being like "Oh I actually know this method of transforming your stand so you can gently caress with the fabric of reality as we know it to the point where you reset reality" it becomes dumb because this is a character whose goals were just world domination for the most part. I don't care about him being in character, I care about changing the scale of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to just become stupidly huge at that point since no other part goes to that level and it comes from a character whose big thing was that he can stop time for 5 seconds and was a Dracula.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Pucci. :shobon:

But that's probably just because I do really enjoy the whole "Gravity" theme, and I enjoy how its both a metaphorical and literal thing throughout the part. And most of that comes through Pucci.

I mean it's cool if you like him, but I just could never get into him. Every time he has a moment where I kinda like him and he's counting prime numbers to chill himself out and whining about how expensive his clothes are he's just boring in every other scene. different strokes differents folks yadda yadda, jotaro's still the best

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

at what point do you think araki was just like lets wrap this poo poo up forever when making part 6

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's like if you changed history books so every significant event featured Forest Gump, but he was also a time-stopping vampire with omni present knowledge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

the gravity theme is cool, but pucci basically has no characterization whatsoever other than 'he's evil but doesn't think he's evil' which would normally be a fun trait when given to someone with actual personality, but pucci has nothing of the sort. vento aureo's ending is kinda bleh in general but at least diavolo is more interesting as an actual character.

Hey he also recites prime numbers and thinks frogs are gross. :colbert:

Anyway, I just really like the idea that his whole fixation from Heaven comes from him getting his sister killed and as he's kinda freaking out about that he remember this one time a Vampire told him about gravity. So like if his sister just knew she was going to get murdered by the KKK and accepted it her death wouldn't be a tragedy and he wouldn't have to feel bad about it. It's like the most absurdly selfish motivation ever and he thinks it makes him a hero. I dunno, I just like it when villains are motivated by something so obviously petty and selfish but they still don't understand they're evil.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wrote these words on my Stand somehow, because apparently it works that way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alternatively, I am also going to say that Araki trying to make Jotaro Dio's eternal rival in Eyes of Heaven is also loving stupid, because they never knew each other outside of the one fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

I mean it's cool if you like him, but I just could never get into him. Every time he has a moment where I kinda like him and he's counting prime numbers to chill himself out and whining about how expensive his clothes are he's just boring in every other scene. different strokes differents folks yadda yadda, jotaro's still the best

Jotaro is indeed incredibly cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Alternatively, I am also going to say that Araki trying to make Jotaro Dio's eternal rival in Eyes of Heaven is also loving stupid, because they never knew each other outside of the one fight.

:yeah:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Talking poo poo about Big Pooch and Stone Ocean's ending?
Thread has gone anime thread level over night.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 17, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baal posted:

honestly polnareff had more of a connection with DIO. He probably should have been the one to defeat him as well just to make that staircase scene worth something more than memes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, all people ever remember about pucci is the prime numbers thing and him complaining about his expensive clothing being ruined. then at the end he's not even much of a character of his own other than basically going all I AM THE loving STRONG and talking about how this will make everything better before he gets chumped out by a kid with a dvd sticking out of his head.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Talking poo poo about Big Pooch and Stone Ocean's ending?
Thread has gone anime thread level over night.

i actually do like the universe reset, but the leadup to it was kinda sketchy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

honestly polnareff had more of a connection with DIO. He probably should have been the one to defeat him as well just to make that staircase scene worth something more than memes

Polnareff is really cool and all but he's basically got as much of a connection with him as Kakyoin. Namely he put a flesh bud on them once.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wasn't even really talking about the ending

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The whole "Dio knew how to create an unstoppable stand but didn't do it himself because ???" thing is pretty dumb, yeah. It could have been, like, Dio knowing a way to bring himself back or whatever through the Green Baby (which he already did) and then the weird combination of The World and White Snake when Pucci took the disc causing all the bullshit heaven stuff, with Pucci seeing Dio's immense power and trying to translate it through the lens of his faith instead of that stuff just being what Dio said in the first place.

And I will forever complain about the death of the best jojo and the stealing of the spotlight by some little kid I didn't even care about. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i actually do like the universe reset, but the leadup to it was kinda sketchy

The protagonists being out protagonisted is super good.
It's like a reverse DIO trying to escape sequence. Instead of Jotaro being in the hole and having every answer, it's him getting countered because shits going super downhill, super quickly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I don't like the ending either, but I have a lot of other problems with Part 6 than just that even though it has one of my favorite teams of all the parts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Kakyoin doesn't die according to Eyes of Heaven timeline

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eyes of Heaven sounds really bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one believes me when I say these CC2 games are garbage

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't mind basically everyone dying, i just wish that the villain to accomplish it was a bit more compelling than 'a guy who idolized dio a little too much'.

Baal posted:

when's the jouta dlc

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
All Star Battle was.... not eye-gougingly awful but it was close

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eyes of Heaven is better than All-Star Battle because All-Star Battle is an actual affront on things I like in every way

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Polnareff is really cool and all but he's basically got as much of a connection with him as Kakyoin. Namely he put a flesh bud on them once.

the staircase scene had more chemistry between them than the entirety of Jotaro's fight with him. The real problem is it basically has no pay-off because there's no actual conclusion. We literally get blueballed by the rest of the stardust crusaders and the whole scene is basically pointless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was about to reply seriously and then I realized what you were doing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Baal posted:

man this and Speedwagon is playable? CC2 appealing directly to me with this one

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Baal posted:

tbf, DIO is referenced as this in parts 4 and 6. and you could maybe justify it by saying DIO respects Jonathan really hard now. but really it's because part 3 is the most iconic.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Part 6 has to be the worst part for me simply because of the awful ending. I've posted about it before in this thread but holy poo poo it's a bunch of wild poo poo that does not feel natural and everyone dies and some kid saves the day.

I'd seriously have a lot less issues if the deaths of the entire main cast held a little more weight and maybe if Joylene was the one who beat Pucci even if she still died in the end and the reset happened.

I did, however, like Pucci as a villain and the lingering effects of DIO as a plot device. Pucci's backstory and origin with the KKK and Weather Report were really dumb, but how he interacted and worshipped DIO fit well in my mind. It's really the end game of DIO's influence on people.

Also WRT the anime thread:

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 17, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It should have been both josephs and okayasu to kill eyes of heaven dio as they lost more to him than jotaro.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Stairmaster posted:

It should have been both josephs and okayasu to kill eyes of heaven dio as they lost more to him than jotaro.

A line needs to form so everyone can take turns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Speedwagon should have done it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Jonathan is Dio's eternal rival. Having it be anyone else is simply incorrect.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 17, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I feel it would have been the most Jojo if Gappy countered EoH DIO by taking away the concept of time

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

DIO did nothing wrong. He just wanted to hang out with his priest friends in Egypt and go to heaven.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Baby Jolyne being brought out for the teaser in EoH is loving bad too

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

what the hell was heaven supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Cabinet posted:

DIO did nothing wrong. He just wanted to hang out with his priest friends in Egypt and go to heaven.

Sending fleshbud Kakyoin out to Japan to murder Jotaro was just a little oopsy-doodle on his part