Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Serenade posted:

I've been scooping up models on ebay I intend to paint and rebase. The OP has good information on stripping paint, but some of these resin and metal models are glued to the base. Is there a magic chemical I can use to separate them, or do I need to destroy the base? Worst case is a Deathripper which has been detached from the base in shipping, except for a single toe.

Assuming its superglue, you can put the model in the freezer and it will weaken the bond and often let you snap it cleanly off. It's not perfect though and leaves a fair amount of glue residue to scrape/clean off, but if you're already planning to do a bunch of work to restore these models it's not much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
That depends on what kind of glue you're dealing with. For metals glued with superglue, you can just soak them in acetone, which strips the paint and turns the superglue to jelly. I think acetone will dissolve resin. However, you can put the resin guys in the freezer to weaken the superglue and pry the pieces apart.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
From the 40k thread, did some more jungle Pathfinders today:

Riptide in the works.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

From the 40k thread, did some more jungle Pathfinders today:

Riptide in the works.

You are doing an absolute fantastic job! The basing really ties it together but the effort you put in on the edging and highlight shows really well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Serenade posted:

I've been scooping up models on ebay I intend to paint and rebase. The OP has good information on stripping paint, but some of these resin and metal models are glued to the base. Is there a magic chemical I can use to separate them, or do I need to destroy the base? Worst case is a Deathripper which has been detached from the base in shipping, except for a single toe.

Super Clean will break down superglue and it will just pop off the model (along with removing paint as well.) The resin will be unaffected.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

I used to do watercolor and pencil sketching regularly but haven't enjoyed freehanding on minis that often because of the curved areas. Thanks for the pro-tip about sketching with a pencil though. Never thought of that. I just used a permanent marker to outline my graffiti-laden space truck before:

Credit where credit is due I got that tip from a white dwarf 17 years ago on painting thorn patterns on Eldar tanks. Ironically I find it easier to freehand on miniatures than paint on paper. I hated watercolours.

I aztec my ships by hand

Some skirt work

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 17, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Z the IVth posted:

Ironically I find it easier to freehand on miniatures than paint on paper. I hated watercolours.

Heretic, I'll break your fingers for that. :mad:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I aztec my ships by hand

Is that what I think it is? :allears:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
An Egyptian sarcophagus on a flight stand?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Z the IVth posted:

I aztec my ships by hand

This is Chris Foss as hell and I love it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I went ahead and picked up the scale 75 metal n alchemy steel series. I've only used Black Metal so far, but it is so much better than the other metallics I was using.

I read a few reviews that said they behave differently than other metallics but they weren't very specific. Is there anything I should be keep in mind or is the only real difference the obviously superior coverage and smooth application?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Does anyone know of a print shop in Europe that does custom stencils? I've got a couple of designs ready to go, but other than US-based Fallout Hobbies I can't find anything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Z the IVth posted:

I aztec my ships by hand

Some skirt work

Nice. Making even something like magma cracks is about my limit for me cuz it's generally not my style. A friend of mine won a golden demon back in the day by painting something similar to your home world ship there. I find the look interesting and I'd love to do 1-2 of those myself but it pains me to do it. I just lose interest halfway through. I've seen those beautiful banners that people make with interwoven lines upon lines of stuff but I find it boring to paint.

Hence why I'm compromising and decided to make a simpler skeleton that won't be as repetitive as the Eldar one I showed earlier.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Z the IVth posted:

I aztec my ships by hand

That's a Vaygr Carrier :aaaaa:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone either know of someone or know how I could find someone who does one on one lessons in the Philadelphia area? Just looking to hire for some occasional one on one time to get in person feedback and critique as I move on to some techniques that give me more difficulty. I will be practicing them regardless, but think some sort of in person instruction would be much more beneficial and expedient than me just fumbling through it on my own.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Thanks for the freezer tip, worked on everything except a pistol wraith which required the base to be undone and a single bonejack toe left behind. That's ok though, I wanted a hard excuse to learn how to use green stuff for future projects anyway.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks to whomever recommended the vibration reduction things for the Sparmax compressors. My big old honking compressor is now isolated from my desk!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Thanks to whomever recommended the vibration reduction things for the Sparmax compressors. My big old honking compressor is now isolated from my desk!

Glad it helped! Did you fit it to a TC-610H or another model? Just interested if the M5 feet are common across the range.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TTerrible posted:

Glad it helped! Did you fit it to a TC-610H or another model? Just interested if the M5 feet are common across the range.

I have the tanked one with 2 outputs, whichever that one is.

Edit: TC-620

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 18, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Vallejo Model Air are pretty weird.

They're sold as airbrush paints, but I picked up Steel not realizing it was for airbrushes, and it's amazing. It's really thin, but covers like nothing I've seen before. I then picked up their Gunmetal, Gold, and Tin metallics, and they're all just watery goop which covers really badly - Which I guess is fair enough, since they're airbrush paints. But after the nirvana of Steel, I was really disappointed.

Is Steel just the outlier here, and if so, are there any other great colors in there for brush-painting?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
VMA Silver is great AFAIK.

if you want amazing brush & airbrush metals look at Vallejo's new Metal Colour range. It's basically every shade of aluminium and metal you could want, and then a few more you had no idea about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serenade posted:

I just got finished removing some superglue that I'd messed up on a couple models, one way you can go about it in addition to what the others said, is that acetone eats right through superglue. But it can also eat through plastic, but if you're working on metal should probably be safe? Even on resin/plastic you can just be real careful about how you use it and it should be okay? Worked for me.

I got a q-tip wet with acetone (nail polish remover) and lightly rubbed it on the superglue, then let that kinda soak in for a moment and then picked at it with an x-acto knife, and then after scraping a bit away I wiped it with acetone again, back and forth to work all that gunk off.

Only thing is getting it underneath the cracks of the feet could be tough, especially without damaging the feet. Again though if they're metal you can probably go nuts, I don't think it'll damage the metal.

Avenging Dentist posted:

That depends on what kind of glue you're dealing with. For metals glued with superglue, you can just soak them in acetone, which strips the paint and turns the superglue to jelly. I think acetone will dissolve resin. However, you can put the resin guys in the freezer to weaken the superglue and pry the pieces apart.

E:FB

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2016

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Privateer Press restic is okay with acetone for brief stints (15 minutes or so) depending on thickness of the item. It will tend to get soft which might be useful for reposing greater than the typical hot water method. It will eventually return to normal stiffness, but too long exposure and it will stay kind of bendy almost like Bones plastic. I have some Bombardiers I learned this on and even a few months later they're a little flexible albeit nowhere near as bad. The plastic bases almost immediately start breaking down from acetone, however.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I sort of figured out what I was doing wrong in regards to thinning my paints.

Whenever I'd use the ratios other people recommend I'd get an uncontrollable flood similar to a wash.

Turns out you paint with just the tip, as gently as possible.

I'm not sure if I feel inspired to get better or just like a disheartened idiot.

Does anyone have advice for two brush blending in low (under 10%) humidity. Or just painting in low humidity in general? Paint forms a ring in less than a second. I thin with distilled water mixed with flow aid.

Now that I know how to thin my paints moisture control has been giving me a lot of trouble.

Edit:

On a more positive note, I finished my first unit!

10 of them, I might upload a group shot once I have a decent setup for photography. As I've previously mentioned I hated working with the metallics on these. Black/grey for the skulls was also probably a mistake, the Bile Thralls I'm working on look much better with brown.

Without natural sunlight they look like grey-green blobs. I'm tempted to redo them with more flesh tones. That way I get in some much needed practice painting skin while having a good excuse if they look hosed up or awful.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 18, 2016

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Ive air brushed some screamers with emerald and turqouise from the vallejo model colour range and now, a good week or so later, the moment I put a wet brush on them the colour is becoming liquid again.

Never had this happen before and although I've managed to turn this into some sweet accidental wet blending, I'd rather my layers stayed dry once they were... dry.

Anyone else had this before and know what's up?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Did you use any fancy thinner, flow improver or drying retarder? Especially in large quantities?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

A layer of acrylic medium after the paint might prevent that.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Hi painting thread, I haven't been by in like 1900 posts. I suffered a pretty bad confidence setback last year, coupled with a general painting malaise. I got myself back on the horse a few months back, did up a couple models and managed to win the paint award in a WarmaHordes Journeyman League.

That led to a friend of a friend asking me to do a commission job for him, which I accepted. I've got half of the 30k box set game done up and I wanted to stop by for some feedback. I still haven't started airbrush work, I'm working on my layering, washing, glazing and since doing these models, sponging techniques.

Anyways, here's my poo poo.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

They're sold as airbrush paints, but I picked up Steel not realizing it was for airbrushes, and it's amazing. It's really thin, but covers like nothing I've seen before. I then picked up their Gunmetal, Gold, and Tin metallics, and they're all just watery goop which covers really badly - Which I guess is fair enough, since they're airbrush paints. But after the nirvana of Steel, I was really disappointed.

Is Steel just the outlier here, and if so, are there any other great colors in there for brush-painting?

I did the same thing with the VMA hull red, and it turned into an awesome mahogany colour that was great for leather and wood effects when used over white primer. I am going to try some others. Please post again if you find others that work like that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

koreban posted:

That led to a friend of a friend asking me to do a commission job for him, which I accepted. I've got half of the 30k box set game done up and I wanted to stop by for some feedback. I still haven't started airbrush work, I'm working on my layering, washing, glazing and since doing these models, sponging techniques.

Solid Work :)

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

I love the VMA metallics for regular brush painting but quality control isn't their strong suit. I've bought three different bottles of Bright Brass and they were three different shades/consistencies. One was super watery and had very little pigment in it so it was more like a slightly yellowish steel. One was very dark and turned into solid goop in a month or so. The third hit the Goldilocks zone. Had a similar problem with gold, and the Copper I have is very thin.

But the Arctic Blue, Silver, Black and the Steel - fantastic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone have advice for two brush blending in low (under 10%) humidity. Or just painting in low humidity in general? Paint forms a ring in less than a second. I thin with distilled water mixed with flow aid.

Now that I know how to thin my paints moisture control has been giving me a lot of trouble.

Yeah if you are flooding the model the issue is too much paint on your brush, not too thin. But you know that now. The literal advice I have heard from pros regarding wet blending in dry climates "don't, but if you must then buy some drying retarder".

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah if you are flooding the model the issue is too much paint on your brush, not too thin. But you know that now. The literal advice I have heard from pros regarding wet blending in dry climates "don't, but if you must then buy some drying retarder".

Awesome! That makes me feel so much better. I'll stick with layering and glazing, which I find pretty fun.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Lethemonster posted:

Ive air brushed some screamers with emerald and turqouise from the vallejo model colour range and now, a good week or so later, the moment I put a wet brush on them the colour is becoming liquid again.

Never had this happen before and although I've managed to turn this into some sweet accidental wet blending, I'd rather my layers stayed dry once they were... dry.

Anyone else had this before and know what's up?

Not quite the same but I've had similar stuff happen when I don't or forget to clean out all the soap I used to clean a brush or the model itself. But in those cases the paint just peels right off when I put a brush to it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are really nice, Koreban. Clean and crisp. Are you going to do your EC in a similar way?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the oath thread.

JackMann posted:

Oath complete!

Claiming the jurnal point both on the basis that Crazy Pete here just done struck it rich and because it's the first time I've really tried out freehand to get a fabric texture. Didn't turn out quite as awesomely as I'd hoped, but still, good to try new things.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Those are really nice, Koreban. Clean and crisp. Are you going to do your EC in a similar way?

That's the plan. I need to work on my layering to make sure I get the vibrancy I'm looking for, but that'll probably be close to what the finished product should get to. I'm doing to do some additional detailing with some of the interstitial paneling on the armor. Some guy on the 30k forums did it and it looked amazing.

It's the proper legion for pridefulness.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The Frostgrave Cultist sprues are great for random bits, so I mixed them in with some of the spare Skeleton bits from the KoW Undead Starter to make some Tomb Kings Empire of Dust Undead/Cultsit Bow guys.

Just need to wait a few months for some optimal priming conditions.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

richyp posted:

The Frostgrave Cultist sprues are great for random bits, so I mixed them in with some of the spare Skeleton bits from the KoW Undead Starter to make some Tomb Kings Empire of Dust Undead/Cultsit Bow guys.

Just need to wait a few months for some optimal priming conditions.

Just get some brush on primer. Or use an airbrush if you have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Any particular recommendations for airbrush friendly primer?