Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Higsian posted:

There are many cures for wealth.

It's certainly a persuasive argument for relaxing firearms legislation. Curiously, we don't hear that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

It's certainly a persuasive argument for relaxing firearms legislation. Curiously, we don't hear that one.

As long as Holland and Holland guns are still legal, I'm ok with it.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
On ABC24 they just had a segment on the 200 year anniversary since the massacre ordered by General Macquarie where he ordered the men, women and children of a tribe be gunned down to send a message.

I remember someone in here posting a bunch of the Generals documents revealing the way he thought, and wrote about how the native population had to be dealt with. The part that struck me the most was the "Shoot them even if they refuse any commands, and hang their bodies from the trees to send a message to the others that disobedience will not be tolerated".

Just last week I mentioned this very command in a class debate at uni on indigenous affairs in psychology. As a former member of the defence force it carried a certain weight to it that I didn't think many would understand without a proper analysis of that command, and I ended up changing a few peoples minds who were not as understanding of the barbarity of colonisation.

Anyway, thanks to whoever posted those documents, the way they are so closely worded to today's legislation around indigenous and asylum seeker policy was really surreal...

Also gently caress yeah Dan Andrews! Legal funding has been assured for at least 10,000 asylum seekers awaiting refugee classification from our biased and disgustingly hideous system. Stay away from all comments sections regarding this story, just a heads up :(

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 17, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah this person's letter to Andrews is how I feel too. :unsmith:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ABC24 just had some footage of the owner-operator's trucky rally thingo, didn't catch where it is. I saw Michaelia Cash up there with a really firey speech in solidarity with the drivers. The only problem is, she's backing them against every other driver in Australia.

Who was standing behind her with a forced smile looking tired? Sophie Mirabella.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This is insane. One of these places is just a couple of streets over from me:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/slave-houses-hiding-in-innercity-brisbane-20160408-go2990.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

ABC24 just had some footage of the owner-operator's trucky rally thingo, didn't catch where it is. I saw Michaelia Cash up there with a really firey speech in solidarity with the drivers. The only problem is, she's backing them against every other driver in Australia.

Who was standing behind her with a forced smile looking tired? Sophie Mirabella.

Whole thing is bizarre. "We demand the right to be exploited!"

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Whole thing is bizarre. "We demand the right to be exploited!"

Nah it's perfectly understandable. "I am a good driver and I believe I can operate my 'small business' both safely and profitably, I know nothing about disproportionate market power and the concept of an externality."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If your business is so hopeless that you can't afford to pay yourself minimum wage it might be time to find a new job.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Time to take the red pill:

quote:

Owner Drivers Australia

Owner Drivers Australia (ODA) - also known as the Owner Drivers Association - is a front group, set up by the Independent Contractors of Australia - another group with close links to right-wing think tank, the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) and the Centre for Independent Studies (CIS).

ODA purpose
According to a report by Gerard McManus in the Herald Sun newspaper on May 25, 2006, the ODA "wants to overturn government policy aimed at protecting safety standards and minimum pay standards for truck drivers, couriers and others in the transport industry . . . But the Herald Sun has learned that large courier companies are secretly paying for the $100,000 campaign."

McManus also noted that "the group (ODA) wants total deregulation of the transport industry so drivers and companies can negotiate contracts without award standards. That would water down driver safeguards. The group was set up just over a month ago to lobby the Government not to change the Independent Contractors Bill to protect truck drivers in Victoria and NSW."

In an article in the Daily Telegraph on May 23, 2006, Australian Labor Party MP Tony Burke noted that "the Independent Contractors Association . . . are heavily linked to the Institute of Public Affairs and have just started a spin-off group called Owner-Drivers Australia.

Burke also noted that "MPs recently received a letter telling how a truck driver who attended a meeting for this group (ODA) reckoned he was the only owner-driver in the room."

Links to Independent Contractors of Australia (ICA)
The ODA's website states that they are "working under the ICA organisational umbrella for a period of time. This has made registration, accounting, Website construction, membership management and so on, easier. It has also given us access to ICA's vast network, information database and lobbying expertise. At this stage, we are formally a division of the ICA organisation." [1]

Links to the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA)
The only contact details on the ODA's website are for Don D'Cruz, a former employee of right-wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs.

The ODA's website is designed by Fergco Pty Ltd, a web design company managed by Chris Ulyatt who was formerly Editorial Director at Institute of Public Affairs.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Owner_Drivers_Australia

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

If your business is so hopeless that you can't afford to pay yourself minimum wage it might be time to find a new job.

More to the point, these so-called "small business owners" don't really have much to differentiate themselves on when compared to an employee driver. Prettier trucks? Advertising space on the side of the truck? Guaranteed 10% quicker time getting to the destination using trade-secret alternative transport routes?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Les Affaires posted:

More to the point, these so-called "small business owners" don't really have much to differentiate themselves on when compared to an employee driver. Prettier trucks? Advertising space on the side of the truck? Guaranteed 10% quicker time getting to the destination using trade-secret alternative transport routes?

Except running themselves into there ground and breaking laws, obviously.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Isn't this like the 3rd Taiwanese slave house found on the southside this year?

What the gently caress?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Jesus Christ

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Queensland is really living up to its reputation as Australia's South.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder if there's a crazy Asian Mafia underbelly in Sunnybank.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Maybe Bronnie can get a shoe on sky news now.
I hear a spot opened up on Channel Nine.

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

How thick do you have to be to not have worked that out six weeks ago?
How thick are you? Can't you read 'Anidav' or something? (Hysterical blindness is a possible defence).

open24hours posted:

If your job involves the possibility of compromising public safety then I agree 100%. This is one of the cases where you should be prevented from being a danger to the public. This is exactly the kind of area where the surrender of personal power to the collective for the good of society should be in effect. The problem is that, stated as you have, you have put the cart before the horse. Adhering to your requirement would remove all kinds of advocacy and personal interest groups because they don't meet a fairly arbitrary personal reward benchmark. I don't make minimum wage but I get by and what I do (I like to think) is effectively a community service in a depressed rural area where I also employ people for award wages. Fortunately my personal income skimping doesn't result in the compromise of anyone's safety and as a musician I'm used to getting paid poo poo money. (Despite being the union).

Redcordial posted:

On ABC24 they just had a segment on the 200 year anniversary since the massacre ordered by General Macquarie where he ordered the men, women and children of a tribe be gunned down to send a message.

I remember someone in here posting a bunch of the Generals documents revealing the way he thought, and wrote about how the native population had to be dealt with. The part that struck me the most was the "Shoot them even if they refuse any commands, and hang their bodies from the trees to send a message to the others that disobedience will not be tolerated".

Just last week I mentioned this very command in a class debate at uni on indigenous affairs in psychology. As a former member of the defence force it carried a certain weight to it that I didn't think many would understand without a proper analysis of that command, and I ended up changing a few peoples minds who were not as understanding of the barbarity of colonisation.

Anyway, thanks to whoever posted those documents, the way they are so closely worded to today's legislation around indigenous and asylum seeker policy was really surreal...
Those kids had to be slaughtered because of the high prevailing rates of child abuse.

-/-

Why does Australia need a military?

Costa Rica abolished theirs so they could spend the money on health and education.

quote:

Since then, Costa Rica has remained among the most stable, prosperous, and progressive nations in Latin America. Following a brief but bloody civil war, it permanently abolished its army in 1949, becoming the first of only a few sovereign nations without a standing army.[6][7][8]

Costa Rica has consistently performed favorably in the Human Development Index (HDI), placing 69th in the world as of 2015, among the highest of any Latin American nation.[9] It has also been cited by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as having attained much higher human development than other countries at the same income levels, with a better record on human development and inequality than the median of the region.

They were also one of the first countries to default on unfair sovereign debt. All this and more http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/costa-rica/7308100

Like Cuba a bunch of the far left Central American countries continue to abuse the dominant thinking on how to run a country. Costa Rica lets prisoners vote and, when you think about it, why should they be disenfranchised? That is clearly the top of a slippery slope. If your country has enough prisoners that their vote is going to swing things one way or the other then you both have bigger problems than prisoners voting and have made up your mind that prisoners are going to vote for bad policies. Prisoners themselves (And how they vote) aren't part of the problem in either case.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Why does Australia need a military?

Costa Rica abolished theirs so they could spend the money on health and education.

They were also one of the first countries to default on unfair sovereign debt. All this and more http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/costa-rica/7308100

Like Cuba a bunch of the far left Central American countries continue to abuse the dominant thinking on how to run a country. Costa Rica lets prisoners vote and, when you think about it, why should they be disenfranchised? That is clearly the top of a slippery slope. If your country has enough prisoners that their vote is going to swing things one way or the other then you both have bigger problems than prisoners voting and have made up your mind that prisoners are going to vote for bad policies. Prisoners themselves (And how they vote) aren't part of the problem in either case.
But how will we defend ourselves from the Indonesians northern neighbours?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

iajanus posted:

Weaponised 16 year olds with rudimentary camping and farm skills?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Weaponised 16 year olds with rudimentary camping and farm skills?

If only we could get those to defend ourselves against tories.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yeah they control the Market Square car parking spaces.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

If your job involves the possibility of compromising public safety then I agree 100%. This is one of the cases where you should be prevented from being a danger to the public. This is exactly the kind of area where the surrender of personal power to the collective for the good of society should be in effect. The problem is that, stated as you have, you have put the cart before the horse. Adhering to your requirement would remove all kinds of advocacy and personal interest groups because they don't meet a fairly arbitrary personal reward benchmark. I don't make minimum wage but I get by and what I do (I like to think) is effectively a community service in a depressed rural area where I also employ people for award wages. Fortunately my personal income skimping doesn't result in the compromise of anyone's safety and as a musician I'm used to getting paid poo poo money. (Despite being the union).

Those truck drivers would probably make the same argument (providing a public service, not endangering anyone). If people really are working for themselves then whatever, I don't care how much they earn, but there are some industries, like trucking and construction, where 'independent contractor' is quite obviously just a way of shifting the risk onto the worker, who has very little if any actual independence.

If you were being paid by some music chain to run one of their stores like a franchisee and were paying yourself below minimum wage I don't think I'd find that acceptable, even if there was no real danger to the public.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

iajanus posted:

If only we could get those to defend ourselves against tories.

Would've made for a better set of books too. :(

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

iajanus posted:

The same way Costa Rica does against what have often been unstable military dictatorships to its North AND South. Think Queensland on all sides of you.

open24hours posted:

Those truck drivers would probably make the same argument (providing a public service, not endangering anyone).
Except they'd be wrong.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...b25f27be7d196eb

quote:

That means, unsurprisingly, truck drivers topped the list. The transport and storage industry recorded 65 fatalities and 8,450 serious injuries in the year, making it the most dangerous overall.
In second place was agriculture, forestry and fishing, with 53 deaths and 3815 serious injuries — although with only half (301,100) the workers in transport (600,600) and nearly the same number of deaths, it’s statistically the more dangerous sector of the two.
What is notable here is the two most commonly considered 'dangerous' jobs which carry a premium supposedly as a result are Mining and Construction. Why is there no danger money for transport and agriculture workers if the free market is actually a thing?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah they control the Market Square car parking spaces.

Nobody controls that, that is a realm of pure chaos.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Queensland is really living up to its reputation as Australia's South.

They don't call it the deep north for nothing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would've made for a better set of books too. :(

8 year old me would have had no idea what a Tory was though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Lord Bude posted:

Precisely the reason we needed them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

That's something we should change. The education system isn't doing its job.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...b25f27be7d196eb
What is notable here is the two most commonly considered 'dangerous' jobs which carry a premium supposedly as a result are Mining and Construction. Why is there no danger money for transport and agriculture workers if the free market is actually a thing?

People who work in mining and construction don't get danger money because of the free market, they get it because they have decent unions. In industries where you have lots of small businesses competing with each other and no union-like organisation to represent them properly they give away conditions to cut costs and make themselves more competitive.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Son of a bitch. I figured SOMEONE had to be behind "people not wanting to be paid more", and there it is. A paid front company. This should be the front page news, not the pay dispute itself.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Comstar posted:

Son of a bitch. I figured SOMEONE had to be behind "people not wanting to be paid more", and there it is. A paid front company. This should be the front page news, not the pay dispute itself.

You'd think so, but it's laughable to think News Ltd would run that angle

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Senator Xenophon, along with other crossbenchers, want a number of amendments to the ABCC Bill.

The South Australian wants changes to procurement policies to include requirement for locally produced goods to be used in construction projects.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and his Employment Minister Michaelia Cash have both said they would not consider amendments that would change the nature of the legislation.

That would mean Senator Glenn Lazarus' demands for a national anti-corruption body would not be considered.

"I certainly won't vote for [the ABCC] in its current form," Senator Lazarus told ABC Insiders.

"I've always been a campaigner for a national corruption and misconduct watchdog and I think it's a very relevant point.

"I don't think we need to be attacking one particular sector, we need to be covering all misconduct and corruption."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
How the gently caress can they sell the DD as necessary to bypass senate obstructionism, when they're the ones essentially obstructing the loving thing by choosing not to amend the bill with something the public wants? :psyduck:

Is death perhaps not certain? Will Bill Shorten actually walk into the PMship? It's just all so dumb, why go for the early election to head off falling favourability when you're steering it straight into the rocks?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 17, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Bill will accidentally win. Not because people want him as Prime Minister but rather the ALP as a whole is more constructive in their public discussion.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anidav posted:

I think Bill will accidentally win. Not because people want him as Prime Minister but rather the ALP as a whole is more constructive in their public discussion.

There's plenty of time for them to capitulate again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

The concept of Bill Shorten winning will be so unfathomable to all major political parties and news outlets that both parties give concession speeches and for a few months we just assume Nick Xenophon is PM because we can't find anyone else that makes sense.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Australian don't vote for governments they vote against them. This is by any metric that anyone can come up with, including their own, the worst government in post invasion history.

(eg)
Disfunction (Changed leaders apparently a complete deal breaker, no mandate = election NOW! etc) CHECK!
Budget emergency/Spiralling Debt and Deficit - CHECK!

< I think I'm targeting my opponents pretty precisely given the sponsors of the hate. Go me!

PS gently caress Mike's Plumbing. If I wanted to stand in poo poo I have all the tools already to hand and didn't need his help.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The concept of Bill Shorten winning will be so unfathomable to all major political parties and news outlets that both parties give concession speeches and for a few months we just assume Nick Xenophon is PM because we can't find anyone else that makes sense.

After Mr Abbott's wild ride starting in 2009, anything's possible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

7 news is doing a beatup on young tenants TRASHING RENTAL HOMES WHILE PENSIONERS ARE ON WAITING LISTS TO RECEIVE PUBLIC HOUSING.

Airs on Monday. Should be a laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

No underbelly. These guys: http://www.atccq.com.au

• Locked thread