Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fresh broccoli in the afternoon sun!

I've temporarily moved the cage onto the balcony to let them have some direct sunlight and fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

There was identifying stuff in the bg so I gave it a new one

hello new desktop

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

There was identifying stuff in the bg so I gave it a new one

It's full of stars....

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Got a question for y'all.

Been reading up (again!) on feeding the baby birb after we bring him/her home. I have found a few different things and I wanted to ask you all what you use. I know the lady who is hand raising the baby is going to get him/her on healthy pellets (though the name escapes me atm) and a mix of fresh veg/fruit grain etc.

What do you all do for feeding your conures or other birbs? Any schedules etc you use?

I have been reading up on the chop and the mash and I really like the idea, but not sure if it is something that would be feasible for one little conure. I figure you all have been where I am atm, so any advice you can give would be great.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

VioletCorsica posted:

Ideas for names for a pair of cockatiels requested please! Nothing happening for certain (yet), but I can dream. Names don't need to be related to one another.

Dumb and Dumber.

Or possibly "Aargh!" and "Gerrof, you bastard!"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Soylent Yellow posted:

Dumb and Dumber.

Bill and Ted

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think you can beat this one.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

This one :) Definitely this one!

fake edit:

hubby says if he could name two birds together it would be Beavis and Butthead. Not sure if I approve but there ya go :P

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Arthur and Fenchurch

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Conure voice chat: I don't know about accents, but our 3 GCCs all have distinct voices and some distinct sounds. Simon's just kind of gravelly, Gunter is more of a squeaky toy, and Zuz has a high-pitched baby voice that always sounds a little rushed. The only time they sound similar is when they are screaming, because they have learned to mimic each others' screams so that they can scream in stereo. Because they are all assholes.

Speaking of screaming, I've come to a realization: the apartment is much quieter when all of the birds are out. It's very nice. Unfortunately, they can't always be out all the time, mostly for their own safety and because they need to go to bed (or eat, in the case of Maestro, who will just sit and not eat or drink unless we physically move him to his cage in the back).

Edit:

Fry and Bender are good.

Zoidberg and Fransworth are also good (before we'd gotten Maestro, we'd been contemplating getting a potato and naming it Farnsworth, since Pazuzu is our Futurama bird and Simon and Gunter are our Adventure Time birds).

schnickety scribe fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 16, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Disco Salmon posted:

hubby says if he could name two birds together it would be Beavis and Butthead. Not sure if I approve but there ya go :P

Bill and Ted is the clear winner to me because you could teach them to say "Whoa!"

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Khizan posted:

Bill and Ted is the clear winner to me because you could teach them to say "Whoa!"

Excellent!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Disco Salmon posted:

Got a question for y'all.

Been reading up (again!) on feeding the baby birb after we bring him/her home. I have found a few different things and I wanted to ask you all what you use. I know the lady who is hand raising the baby is going to get him/her on healthy pellets (though the name escapes me atm) and a mix of fresh veg/fruit grain etc.

What do you all do for feeding your conures or other birbs? Any schedules etc you use?

I have been reading up on the chop and the mash and I really like the idea, but not sure if it is something that would be feasible for one little conure. I figure you all have been where I am atm, so any advice you can give would be great.

I don't use too much of a firm schedule, I know some of the other conure owners here do. I use pellets in their main food dish, and a side of fresh fruits/veggies (most of the time which is chop) and a few seeds/peanut butter for treats on rare occassion. I also make birdy bread with corn muffins, pellets ground in, and shredded veggies/baby food for my more stubborn conure that won't eat chop. Other treats are sliced apple, dried fruit of any kind, broccoli, popcorn, banana, and nuts.

I give them the fresh food in the morning and then change it out again when I get home from work. It's kind of a feel your way out kind of thing, my one bird goes nuts for chop and won't eat birdy bread, the other is the exact opposite. I did get a food processor though, just cause I'm lazy and it's way easier to make chopped veggies that way.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I originally named Ellie "Little Lebowski" till I realized she was not a he and while I'm happy with the name our benevolent mod suggested I wish I had gotten her after Archer so I could've had Archer and Lana

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Woke up and immediately thought Rocky and Bullwinkle, but

holy poo poo this

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh my, the names are fantastic! You guys! :D

My own ideas, sorry if I somehow missed that you all suggested one of these!
Beep and Boop
Lewis and Clark
Paisley and Argyle

I am not sure if I am relocating, so not sure where and when some whistle!birds (my own notation for cockatiels) would enter my life, but in the next few months, hopefully. Thank you all for the thread, I have been rereading and crying over everybirdy's stories.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

and hopefully they will be excellent to each other

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Fry & Laurie

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hall & Oates

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Noisy Fucker and Slightly Noisier Fucker

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God drat It Bird & Don't Chew That You rear end in a top hat

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Reinhard von Lohengramm and Yang Wenli

Alternately Reinhard von Lohengramm and Siegfried Kircheis

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Original Recipe & Extra Crispy? (We had cockatiels when I was little, and my mom always threatened to fry them up for dinner when they got into things.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoingPostal posted:

Original Recipe & Extra Crispy? (We had cockatiels when I was little, and my mom always threatened to fry them up for dinner when they got into things.)

I threaten to turn Toast into a delicious chicken nugget occasionally

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another successful bath time! The trouble is always first getting Putni to the bathroom, and afterwards getting him out again.

This time both of them were happily fluffing when the water was raining down too, and not trying to run away from it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

mikerock posted:

It's full of stars....

It's a starrrrrbirrrrrd, waiting in the sky....

Sociopastry posted:

hello new desktop

It's small resolution so the thought of it all hosed up and stretched out 90s style is hilarious to me

nielsm posted:

Another successful bath time! The trouble is always first getting Putni to the bathroom, and afterwards getting him out again.

This time both of them were happily fluffing when the water was raining down too, and not trying to run away from it.

Do they go under the shower, or have a spray bath from bottle?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do they go under the shower, or have a spray bath from bottle?

Today was mostly spray bottle, but Pion also likes to sit on my head and misted by the bouncing (?) water.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Brave! Steve won't go near the shower stream. Either he'll have a spray bath on a hand in the shower (door open only), or he'll sit on the toys draped between shower enclosure and shower head while the water is running and enjoy the humidity.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Birds should not be viewed front-on

:downs:

(sorry for low-quality photo)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Narrator posted:

Birds should not be viewed front-on

:downs:

Yeah it really is not the best look for them :derptiel:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Narrator posted:

Low-quality photo but high-quality potato.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So Gunter has finally found her War Steed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jadebullet posted:

So Gunter has finally found her War Steed.

Uh, pretty sure a parrot is a Chaos unit and not a Space Marine one even if they do look to be Blood Ravens :colbert:.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

He's attacking that dreadnought. He IS a chaos unit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That explains why she later proceeded to shove the entire squad and a tank onto the floor before I could get over and stop her.

Gunter, the best Proxy for a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch.(Though Khorne is more appropriate for her personality. Her latest thing is "apologizing" for biting me this morning by trying to lick up the blood while making cute happy chirping noises.[she got scared by the camera when my hand was near her mouth])

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 17, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
After much heartbreak and many tears Mindo is safely at his new home in New Jersey. He took a red eye flight and boy are his wings tired! :q: He's already up on her hand which is a great sign!

Dazed and confused look:
What is down there?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, Yoshi had quite a terrifying night for a baby bird.

At about 3 AM, there was a fire in our building. I think someone downstairs burned something that wasn't food for once. It was small enough that the fire department didn't have to put anything out by the time they got here, thankfully, but big enough that a couple of people, including me, got sick from the smoke by the time we got outside. We managed to get poor Yoshi into his carrying case and outside very quickly, but it was very cold, and we had to open the windows to get rid of the smoke smell. We took his cage into the bedroom because it seemed to be better in there and covered his cage with blankets.

The place is still a little chilly, but so far, he seems to be okay. He was terrified all last night and freaked the gently caress out this morning when we had to move his cage back to its proper place, but he's already eating his vegetables and running around hitting his bells. I guess there's not much we can do but keep an eye on him.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Poor Yoshi, sounds like he'll be okay.

Fluffy potato

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

So, I felt like playing around with color settings on my camera today. The birds were perfect for it. It's pretty cool for comparing the color mutations of the 3 GCCs.

:siren: photo dump time :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

After much heartbreak and many tears Mindo is safely at his new home in New Jersey. He took a red eye flight and boy are his wings tired! :q: He's already up on her hand which is a great sign!

Dazed and confused look:
What is down there?
Hey, that's awesome :unsmith: You guys did what you needed to while minimizing stress for Mindo and making sure he was somewhere that would be good for him.

Pip pip pip posted:

Fluffy potato

aaaagh look at that happy scritch face :kimchi: