Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Toriori posted:

Which bosses are optional?

Also, which swords are the best? I like to be fast and I've been using the broadsword +4 until now. I'm in the Boreal

Farron Greatsword and just dual wield and then L1 (or is it L2? I forget) and spin and go fast and move fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The red phantom invasion priority thing is really stupid. Not only does it suck for invaders it also sucks because you never get invaded in a playthrough if you don't summon. When are they going to patch it

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Carmant posted:

The red phantom invasion priority thing is really stupid. Not only does it suck for invaders it also sucks because you never get invaded in a playthrough if you don't summon. When are they going to patch it

I get invaded all the time when I'm solo, just depends on how heavily trafficked the area is by invaders

They tend to have Rosaria's fingers tags so maybe if you're in the covenant proper you're more likely to hit solo game or maybe it's just how far I am in the game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

You can skip the following:

Curse-rotted Tree thingie (you miss out on the Transposing Kiln, though)
Ancient Wyvern (located in the optional dragon area)
Nameless King (same as above)
Consumed King (located on sidepath after the Dancer fight, need this - or rather, something after his fight - for the optional dragon area)

I think that's all that can be skipped.

There's also champion grundyr, who is also after the consumed king and the Old demon king in smouldering lake

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone know what the "stomp" skill does? I've come to really like the dark swords move set, but the stomp seems to do nothing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Torquemadras posted:

You can skip the following:

Curse-rotted Tree thingie (you miss out on the Transposing Kiln, though)
Ancient Wyvern (located in the optional dragon area)
Nameless King (same as above)
Consumed King (located on sidepath after the Dancer fight, need this - or rather, something after his fight - for the optional dragon area)

I think that's all that can be skipped.

you forgot the dude after the last boss on there, plus stray demon king and the demon guy before him if you want to count the latter as a boss

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does anyone know what the "stomp" skill does? I've come to really like the dark swords move set, but the stomp seems to do nothing.

try pressing it and then pressing R2

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

make sure ur lighting is at LOW

Yup it is. That solved some of the crashing but not so in some situations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Have you tried chaining a heavy attack afterwards?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
After yet more summons couldn't traverse the fog door at Dancer of the Butt Fart, I finally just gitted gud and beat her solo.

:feelsgood:

I think the issue was that I kept falling for the grab. Once I learned to watch for her slither-up, it was just a matter of dodging, blocking, and managing stamina. It's almost like a silky-slow Artorias fight.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Toriori posted:

Also, which swords are the best? I like to be fast and I've been using the broadsword +4 until now. I'm in the Boreal
If you like your broadsword's moveset, just keep upgrading it and it'll carry you through. Just like in the previous games, straight swords are top tier.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Calihan posted:

I loved it personally. Very much reminded me of Devil May Cry's Vergil fights.

I AM BRAWW posted:

IT'S GOOD

it's easy but it's also tense due to the amount of dmg that man can put out with a single combo and also if it's ur first time going thru ur like "holy poo poo what's going on"

Eh. I'm through now but it was by dumb luck. We hit each other and I survived with 3 HP. I wouldn't count it as a win, I'd fight it again if I could to try and do reasonably better.

I liked the first part, that was fun and neat. Second part was... meh. It felt like a continuous endless combo sometimes. Or maybe the Claymore's just a bit too slow.

By the way, I've heard talk of Patches, where is he?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I killed the Deacons and never saw Siegward or Patches, though I beat the fire demon. Did it bug out or did I just miss them? I killed the giant without the Patches cutscene ever playing.

quote:

It's supposed to give you poise/hyper armor for the super-swing but poise is worthless so it doesn't really.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 17, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
This game has arch-viles :gonk:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm starting to see players with "Knight", "Ho", "rear end", and "Nigga" in their names. How are they getting past the filter?

Not essentially all of those words in the same name at once but sometimes lol.

I was getting repeatedly invaded by loving Nigel! last night.

NESguerilla posted:

There's no filter character names as far as I know.

There is. I've seen K***hts on both PS4 and PC.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does the skull ring make you priority for invasions or does it just make enemies aggro you from a further distance?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Forgive me if I'm an idiot but why should Knight be filtered?

Other than it being a stupid thing to call yourself.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Toiwat posted:

Eh. I'm through now but it was by dumb luck. We hit each other and I survived with 3 HP. I wouldn't count it as a win, I'd fight it again if I could to try and do reasonably better.

I liked the first part, that was fun and neat. Second part was... meh. It felt like a continuous endless combo sometimes. Or maybe the Claymore's just a bit too slow.

By the way, I've heard talk of Patches, where is he?

Supposed to be coming tomorrow, patch notes are here.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Forgive me if I'm an idiot but why should Knight be filtered?

Other than it being a stupid thing to call yourself.

nig___

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Which sucks because I wanted to make #BlackKnightsMatter

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
The Sword Master is also really useful for killing invaders. Who knew.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Exodee posted:

If you like your broadsword's moveset, just keep upgrading it and it'll carry you through. Just like in the previous games, straight swords are top tier.

maybe I will. should I infuse it with raw or does that mess with the scaling?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:( Oh.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Up or Down from Irythyl? Guessing down as that's where I'm being pointed by my bro, but wasn't I supposed to find Aldritch here? Ive taken out pontiff so its the anor londo catwalks or down the the dungeon[/spoiler]

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
^ Up, and fix your spoiler.

Toriori posted:

Do you plan on levelling str/dex much in the near future? Raw does good if you're going to go for vigor and endurance first otherwise scaling will get better quickly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I killed the Deacons and never saw Siegward or Patches, though I beat the fire demon. Did it bug out or did I just miss them? I killed the giant without the Patches cutscene ever playing.

It's supposed to give you poise/hyper armor for the super-swing but poise is worthless so it doesn't really.

this happened to me too. make sure youve opened the main gates of the cathedral (up the last elevator near the boss door) then go down to the well outside the chapel. for patches go up and back out of the firelink tower again.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beat the game last night. I'm not sure if I'm up for collecting all that poo poo for 100% completion. I have about 2 of each covenant item after 50 hours of play time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Toriori posted:

Raw gives bonus damage but removes scaling (great for if you barely have the stats to carry it and are dumping it elsewhere, i.e.: a caster build, meh otherwise). Fire/Deep/Holy all also remove scaling and decrease the physical damage a bit in return for a big chunk of flat elemental damage.

If you want scaling you should go for one of these three: Heavy (more str scaling/removes dex scaling), Sharp (more dex scaling, almost entirely but not quite removes str scaling) or Quality (averages and improves both str and dex scaling).

Also you can switch freely as long as you have spare crystals and the ember to allow such enchantments. No need to use a Shriving Stone to remove an infusion unless you want to go back down to the base weapon. And there's pretty much always an infusion that's better for your build, whatever it is, than the base weapon at any time.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Here is the full filter list for DS2, also applies to DS3. It's hilarious and contains some real obtuse poo poo.

A small selection of the more :psyduck: ones:

quote:

fannyflaps
fuckingshitmotherfucker
hosebeast
panooch
poopchute
swingers
teabaggin
testical

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toriori posted:

Raw removes scaling entirely. It gives you (I think) 40% bonus damage but then it doesn't scale at all. For that reason it's awesome in the early game when your scaling stats are low, or if you're a caster build and leaving your Str/Dex low.

Alkydere posted:

Raw gives bonus damage but removes scaling (great for if you barely have the stats to carry it and are dumping it elsewhere, i.e.: a caster build, meh otherwise). Fire/Deep/Holy all also remove scaling and decrease the physical damage a bit in return for a big chunk of flat elemental damage.

If you want scaling you should go for one of these three: Heavy (more str scaling/removes dex scaling), Sharp (more dex scaling, almost entirely but not quite removes str scaling) or Quality (averages and improves both str and dex scaling).

It's Refined in DS3, not Quality (that's Demon's Souls). Same effect though.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

^ what he said

Toriori posted:

It depends on whether you level up STR & DEX at all. If so, then Refined is most likely better. (Although Refined Gems are extremely rare until the end game, so be wary of that) If you're more of a caster type, then there's another straight sword that you can find at the same location as the Broadsword which does pretty drat good damage when made Raw. (although it uses the Longsword's moveset)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Exodee posted:

It depends on whether you level up STR & DEX at all. If so, then Refined is most likely better. (Although Refined Gems are extremely rare until the end game, so be wary of that) If you're more of a caster type, then there's another straight sword that you can find at the same location as the Broadsword which does pretty drat good damage when made Raw. (although it uses the Longsword's moveset)

Yeah, I burned a Refined gem on my Longsword and now I really wish I had another to put in my Astora Greatsword. No idea when I'll ever see another :smith:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ah okay, thanks all. The scaling of weapons was never a concept I've been familiar with. I'm doing a strength based build so maybe heavy is the way to go

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Walrus posted:

this happened to me too. make sure youve opened the main gates of the cathedral (up the last elevator near the boss door) then go down to the well outside the chapel. for patches go up and back out of the firelink tower again.

Thanks, I may have missed that. I'll go in and out of the level a couple times to make sure things happen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Walrus posted:

I think there's supposed to be a P scene inside the cathedral too but I have absolutely never gotten it to trigger.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Harrow posted:

Raw removes scaling entirely. It gives you (I think) 40% bonus damage but then it doesn't scale at all. For that reason it's awesome in the early game when your scaling stats are low, or if you're a caster build and leaving your Str/Dex low.

It's Refined in DS3, not Quality (that's Demon's Souls). Same effect though.

Fair enough, couldn't remember the name and went with the first thing I hear.

Also: Raw, Refined, Sharp and Heavy can all be enchanted via magic (magic, fire, lightning sword) or via items. As soon as you add an element or status (bleed/poison) you lose the ability to do that. Casters can gain a massive amount of power out of enchanting a Raw weapon.

Toriori posted:

Ah okay, thanks all. The scaling of weapons was never a concept I've been familiar with. I'm doing a strength based build so maybe heavy is the way to go

Definitely get a heavy weapon if you're going heavy str. When you see the weapon saying damage is 'X + Y' the X is the base, the Y is the scaling. The letters at the bottom of the information page give a general sense of how well they scale (there's actual numbers by they're hidden behind said letters, so you can and will improve a C rating to a better C rating). By making a weapon with say...C rating str scaling heavy you'll probably bump up to B rating and if it was a generally heavy weapon to start off with you're very likely to get A rated scaling.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2016

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Toriori posted:

Just make sure to compare the numbers between infusions, to make sure if it'll actually give you a damage boost. On the other hand, Heavy Gems are relatively easy to find compared to Sharp and (especially) Refined, so it should be okay to experiment with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

I think there's supposed to be a P scene inside the cathedral too but I have absolutely never gotten it to trigger.

Incidentally that giant is hilariously easy to kill if you use a charcoal resin and stay at his feet.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I'm finally in Lothric Castle...

The Fast Red Knights :stare:
The Fat Boy Knights :stare:

...and what is that in the sky....

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
The Drangleic hammers are glorious. I'm not sure if they're considered good in pvp, but since I started using them I haven't lost to an invader.