Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Speedball posted:

I'm tempted to just go loving nuts and deconstruct everything in my base. It'd take a while to sort everything but it'd also reorganize it quite well. As it stands I don't have enough green chips (and not enough room in my current setup for more green chips, need to expand everything) and green chips are the thing holding me back on everything else.

Leave your current factory in place to produce materials for your new one - assuming you have it producing things like assemblers/miners/etc automatically, of course. (And if not, why the hell not?) Build a new setup ten or fifteen chunks away with a rail line for shuttling between them until your new facility is up and running, then either tear down the old one or leave it in place to remind yourself what not to do in the future.

Krysmphoenix posted:

what you're missing here is that small-pumps suck and pump at a glacial pace. What I would do is get the check valve mod and have a check valve next to a small pump. When there's lots of natural flow, the check valve will work fine. When there's no/reverse flow the small pump will do it's job and slowly but surely move fluids through.

Use more pumps - it takes five (in parallel, not in series) to pressurize a pipe to full (in vanilla).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Speedball posted:

I'm tempted to just go loving nuts and deconstruct everything in my base. It'd take a while to sort everything but it'd also reorganize it quite well. As it stands I don't have enough green chips (and not enough room in my current setup for more green chips, need to expand everything) and green chips are the thing holding me back on everything else.

At least I'm drowning in petroleum and used my trusty tank to blow the poo poo out of every enemy hive around me, so I don't have to deal with many attacks.

make a shitload of yellow logistic chests and place them all somewhere near a lot of roboports. make at least 600 constructors.

deconstruct in chunks at a time - the robots will try to put every thing in it's own chest (yellow belts in one chest, red belts in another, etc)

bobs players - use the robo chargers instead of roboports

------

anyway - here's the pics of my failed game

overall view of base. the sidings for off-loading stuff were (mostly) good. Passing trains did have a tendency to zoom through an empty station at top speed.

bad design choice #1 - putting this section of the Loop inside my walls. And then deciding to keep it this way when I shifted this segment left.

bad design choice #2 - this entire station. It took up too much space. A vertical station unloaded from both sides would have been better.

-----
Thing I'm doing in my new game: Remote mine monitoring:

The chests at each mine are wired into the green network, and a constant next to them provides a count of the number of chests into the red network.
The combinator grid provides a value in the range of 0...1000 tied to how full the chests are, which is then sent to the combinators by the lightgrid which selects the appropriate signal for that row. Just iron, coal and oil at the moment, next session will be getting the mining operations for the next three set up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I seriously don't understand oil problems. You always need plastic. Everything that comes out of an oil well can be turned into plastic. You don't need to throw away light or heavy oil or waste lubricant or whatever you guys are saying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Refineries are like an assembler that makes 3 different interconnected things, which is pretty novel in the game and everything starts filling up alarmingly fast if you hit the on button without infrastructure in place to use any of it. It doesn't help you get a lot of phases of it piecemeal and you can turn it on before you even have the tech to make blue science.

But yeah, once you have your footing its kind of simple to turn crude into the thing you need most at any given moment. Throwing oil away is frightening since getting new oil supplies is my least favorite raw material action to do. Got to use every part of the dinosaur.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FISHMANPET posted:

I seriously don't understand oil problems. You always need plastic. Everything that comes out of an oil well can be turned into plastic. You don't need to throw away light or heavy oil or waste lubricant or whatever you guys are saying.

Based on like the three streams I watched trying to decide if I wanted to buy this or not, a lot of people seem to direct oil to lubricant refineries and "whatever is left" goes to the rest of the factory, resulting in sudden oil shortages everywhere when the lubricant isn't being used so they start just making poo poo to force lubricant to get wasted.

Zetsubou-san posted:

bad design choice #2 - this entire station. It took up too much space. A vertical station unloaded from both sides would have been better.

Isn't "efficient vertical train station" an oxymoron given that trains are way way shorter vertically than horizontally?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Azhais posted:

Based on like the three streams I watched trying to decide if I wanted to buy this or not, a lot of people seem to direct oil to lubricant refineries and "whatever is left" goes to the rest of the factory, resulting in sudden oil shortages everywhere when the lubricant isn't being used so they start just making poo poo to force lubricant to get wasted.

Wire up a small pump to a storage tank (or several) of lubricant. Position the pump between your heavy oil tanks and your heavy oil cracking area. Set the wire condition such that if lubricant is over the desired level (you need a lot of lubricant for blue belts), then the pump sends heavy oil over to heavy oil cracking. Voila, no more excess heavy oil issues.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there any way to deal with rocks other than mass amounts of ammo?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

It comes up every 4 or 5 pages too, same questions, same answers. We need this in the OP or a definitive post somewhere to just paste in the next time someone asks.

Make fuel bricks until blue science and advanced cracking then use cracking with pumps connected to the tanks to control levels. Live happily ever after.

Azhais posted:

Crash into it with a tank then repair the tank. AP ammo works best until you upgrade the shotgun a few times. Or install the mineable rocks mod and get stone for mining them (plus it lets robots remove them).

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Azhais posted:

SMG plus AP ammo handles them fine, and by midgame you should have thousands of rounds hanging around doing nothing since you've gone to lasers, anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My starting area is a rocky desert and I've got a handgun :argh:

Clearly guns are my third research

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Azhais posted:

My starting area is a rocky desert and I've got a handgun :argh:

Clearly guns are my third research

That sucks. Make sure you get automated ammo production up soon.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ratzap posted:

It comes up every 4 or 5 pages too, same questions, same answers. We need this in the OP or a definitive post somewhere to just paste in the next time someone asks.

Make fuel bricks until blue science and advanced cracking then use cracking with pumps connected to the tanks to control levels. Live happily ever after.

Crash into it with a tank then repair the tank. AP ammo works best until you upgrade the shotgun a few times. Or install the mineable rocks mod and get stone for mining them (plus it lets robots remove them).

I actually ran out of heavy oil during a belt building spree with little tech production. Solved it by just increasing my storage of blue circuits and other pgas products until my blue belt frenzy was over, but it was kinda suprising. I may add in some solid fuel production to prevent this.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Trabisnikof posted:

I actually ran out of heavy oil during a belt building spree with little tech production. Solved it by just increasing my storage of blue circuits and other pgas products until my blue belt frenzy was over, but it was kinda suprising. I may add in some solid fuel production to prevent this.

I will recommend again, the Infinitely Tesslating Tankfarm. Never run out of room for any oil product again::

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Zetsubou-san posted:

i've played at least 500 hours and started at least 10 maps and i've just now noticed small electric poles have a fuel value...

:aaaaa::fh:

Finally I can do something with the 200 or so I have laying around.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kenlon posted:

I will recommend again, the Infinitely Tesslating Tankfarm. Never run out of room for any oil product again::

:eyepop:

I can't help but feel it's really space inefficient though.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Solumin posted:

It allows you to add an infinite amount of tank storage quickly and easily, whether north, south, or east, and if you include some longer gaps, you can put interstitial pump stations to pressurize the tanks appropriately.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

The solution to space efficiency is to never get to a point you need more than a couple tanks in the first place. Make only what you need. If you're storing anything, its crude. And you can do so in barrels if you really want to live on a postage stamp with all the oil in the world.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

zedprime posted:

The solution to space efficiency is to never get to a point you need more than a couple tanks in the first place. Make only what you need. If you're storing anything, its crude. And you can do so in barrels if you really want to live on a postage stamp with all the oil in the world.

That's so horrifyingly wrong that I can't even wrap my mind around it. (Note: This may be slightly, but only slightly, tongue-in-cheek.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kenlon posted:

That's so horrifyingly wrong that I can't even wrap my mind around it. (Note: This may be slightly, but only slightly, tongue-in-cheek.)
I never said space efficiency was a good plan.

Meeting in the middle should have some merit though. Every unit of petroleum products is a temporarily embarrassed unit of plastic, solid fuel, or blue belt/robot. A tank farm is then a prison which is a testament to your lack of plastic, solid fuel, or blue belts/robots.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing through a game where I have literally zero transport belts, just to see how crazy it would get. Everything done by logistics bots. The only belts that exist are those fed into green science, and 30 or so red belts stored that I made before I had logistics bots set up.

It gets a bit weird, but works. All assemblers feed from blue chests and into red chests (with smart inserters capping things). Remote mines are just lots of miners and red chests, 100-200 bots (depending on size of ore field), and blue chests feeding into the train. Trains offload into purple chests, and stuff gets sorted. Boilers are also fed from blue chests.

I have 4k bots, and usually less than 2k are actually in use. If a lot of trains come in close together though, it gets kind of overwhelmed and craploads of bots will just hang around waiting to be charged. Adding lots of roboports helps (with a sane amount of roboports, basically all bots are stuck charging all the time), but it's still not quite enough. Walking past the train area with the view zoomed out often makes the game slow down badly when there are a thousand or so moving bots on screen.

For true insanity, do it without trains too. One big logistics network, and ore and barrels carried by bots from afar.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

Kenlon posted:

Completely unironically, I agree with zedprime and follow that mindset.

I bring oil in via barrels (I'm using just RSO, so no tanker cars or alaskan pipelines), and if:
-Heavy backs up: More H->L cracking plants. One tank of Lube, crack every single drop otherwise. More cracking plants than I can fuel, it's better to have idle plants than a product backup. I never tank Heavy.
-Light backs up: More L->P cracking, and another Solid Fuel plant to feed rockets. 2x as many crackers as I can fuel are wired to start when the Light tank hits >20%. This is the ONLY primary fuel tank I use, and ONLY ONE. Again, it's better to have idle plants...
-Petrol backs up: Who cares. Let the refineries turn off, oil barrels still come in and get boxed up for the instant I need them. I never tank Petrol.

Edit: also it is pages and pages late, but I took issue (:spergin:) with whoever said "Why would you ever need seven(?) plastic plants." My last game I ran ten, all 2x Prod3s with three Speed beacons each and used every sliver of plastic that came in for advanced chips (and later, rocket parts). I use a LOT of oil, VERY quickly, there is never time for a backup. (I also ran ~16 2-Prod3 Refineries, with some Speeds for flavor) I'm glad RSO has huge oil fields once you get waaay out there. Having a train show up with 120 barrels? :allears:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 17, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Finished my first game of Bobs. God Modules are truly rediculuous. They solve almost all problems.

Does anyone have a good layout for blue circuits (basic electronic circuits)? This is what I did but as you can see its chronically short of resistors. Even blue belts (top level not bobs mod belts) can't bring in enough resistors to feed the full array.

Are there any mods that do interesting things with concrete? I covered my entire factory with concrete last game which was pretty satisfying but I'd like to take it to the next level instead of repeating myself.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
phone posting, but there's a colored concrete and lights mod. I use the colored concrete to mark specific zones, like where I can expand refineries or furnaces to. but that's about it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

Finished my first game of Bobs. God Modules are truly rediculuous. They solve almost all problems.

Does anyone have a good layout for blue circuits (basic electronic circuits)? This is what I did but as you can see its chronically short of resistors. Even blue belts (top level not bobs mod belts) can't bring in enough resistors to feed the full array.

Are there any mods that do interesting things with concrete? I covered my entire factory with concrete last game which was pretty satisfying but I'd like to take it to the next level instead of repeating myself.

What I did was find the point where all the resistors are being used from a belt (say 3 assemblers), stop that line there and bring in a fresh belt for the next set. Just accept the fact that you can't feed more than that with one belt. There's also a concrete lamppost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Making basic electronic components takes 2 seconds for 5. Making basic electronic boards consumes 5 every second. You need two things assembling components for each thing assembling boards.

And given that you have such an easy ratio, you might as well just be having the component assembler insert directly into the board assembler, so you can take advantage of stack size bonus and don't have to belt anything around. You can belt in the basic circuit boards instead, which are five times more space-efficient on the belt.

re: oil, if you're ever at the point where your stored oil products are going down, that just means you don't have enough refineries. (Or it means that you've run out of crude, but the secret is that having more refineries doesn't change the point at which that happens. You'll still get the same amount of output). Just have one tank of each on the output side (enough to wire up circuits and make decisions about what you're doing with it), and build more refineries if you find that you're not processing crude fast enough. You do want an enormous amount of crude storage though, because any time that your pumpjacks aren't running full speed is wasted oil.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Here's how you win at oil.

1) find a large open area to do your layout. you want somewhere where you can expand 2 directions - my refineries are usually left-right and my chemical plants go from bottom to top. Here's a general screenshot.

2) make sure you spread out your heavy, light, and gas vertical lines. This is so you can run interconnects for your cracking (including water).
3) The reason you spread everything out is so you can easily expand your production.

4) Connect your refineries like this.

FART CANNON, HOW DO I STORE poo poo

loving easy when you think about it - pumps.

The pump will keep pressure on whatever direction its facing. Here i have a buffer of heavy oil. all of the oil that is not pumped into this gets cracked to light. The heavy oil buffer feeds a lube oil buffer and other poo poo. once again, whatever is not pumped into storage in this setup goes to cracking. the horizontal line to the right before the bottom most pump is the connection to the cracking line.

FART CANNON, HOW DO I CRACK poo poo

the spread out design lets your easily connect the cracking stuff together. See the screenshot above.

FART CANNON, I DONT GET THE STORAGE poo poo. CAN I USE CIRCUIT WIRE TO CONTROL THIS

yeah but you don't really need to. here's how:

1) connect pump to tank with circuit wire
2) open the pump

3)click the open box under WIRE CONDITION and find the picture of the liquid you want to store. here we are storing light oil.
4) click the 0 and change it to the number you want the pump to turn on at. the tank stores 2500. I recommend something like 2450.
5) Click the decider and make it so the oil picture is less than the number.

you are done. it will now turn the pump on when oil in the tank is below 2450.

The above design will only stop processing crude when the gas storage tanks are full. It will crack everything extra to gas and it is easily expandable for either more crude oil processing throughput or any material creation.

Remember that part of the game is planning. Take time early on to design things and it will save you a lot of headache in the mid to late game.

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 17, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't think I've ever felt more validated about how I design my factories than to discover that my personal invented way of setting up refineries is exactly the same as the Fart Cannon method of setting up refineries.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

DaveKap posted:

I don't think I've ever felt more validated about how I design my factories than to discover that my personal invented way of setting up refineries is exactly the same as the Fart Cannon method of setting up refineries.

It owns

Oh no I'm not producing enough gas *pops down blueprint of 10 more refineries and doesn't have to hand touch anything*

Also post+username combo

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
Is there a mod that lets you put water into barrels?
Creating huge pipe networks to get water to steam engines gets old fast.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yup! https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=7887

However, have you considered doing things the other direction, and moving the fuel to where the water is instead?

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
Thanks for the link, I'll try that one.

I tried moving my steam engines to the lake, but you can see how much space it's taking already. Each row needs one pump + pipeline leading to it, and I don't know how I can keep scaling it. And solar power just isn't polluting enough for me!

and this is my oil refinery, I much prefer (astethically) keeping all lines horizontal. I can still add as many cracking facilities as I like.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Exewu posted:

and this is my oil refinery, I much prefer (astethically) keeping all lines horizontal. I can still add as many cracking facilities as I like.

:catstare:

how do you ensure your lube oil has a buffer of heavy oil in case your oil income plummets?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fart Cannon posted:

how do you ensure your lube oil has a buffer of heavy oil in case your oil income plummets?

you don't need one, buffer the lube instead if you're really that concerned.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jabor posted:

you don't need one, buffer the lube instead if you're really that concerned.

Two tanks of lubricant is really a whole lot of lube, and more than you should ever really need, unless you suddenly get disconnected from all of your crude sources.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fart Cannon posted:

Does anyone actually use lube often enough to need more than a full storage tank in reserve?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I built a blue belt, once.

Never again.

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
My raw oil is always overflowing (I have 4 or 5 pumpjacks >5oil/sec) and is buffered in one tank (2.5k) and in barrels in the station/train. I basically never run out. Perhaps I'll get that problem when my oil sources are lower but then I'll just add a new field.
Heavy oil goes to lube unless heavy oil tank is >2.4k, then it gets cracked. If you look closely you can see the pump just behind the heavy oil tank (its a weird layout :catstare:). But I only use lube for blue belts and engines, and I find that I don't really run out even if I use nothing but blue, 100% of the time.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

zedprime posted:

I built a blue belt, once.

Never again.

This is also wrong. You should be replacing all belt in your factory with blues ASAP.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kenlon posted:

This is also wrong. You should be replacing all belt in your factory with blues ASAP.

You can get the same effect with half the iron by just laying down more yellow belt...

It's not like you're space constrained, are you? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Lol if your main bus isn't 8 lanes of blue belts