Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

RC Cola posted:

That is where I want to move to. How is the job market?

Ehh, what field are you in? The cost of living has skyrocketed in the past two years, rent is bordering on unaffordable unless you make at least 40k or have 5 roommates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

It's not bad compared to some places, but way worse than it used to be. But the mountains are my poo poo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jeff smisek posted:

Ehh, what field are you in? The cost of living has skyrocketed in the past two years, rent is bordering on unaffordable unless you make at least 40k or have 5 roommates

I cut plate steel with a laser. I make a little over 40k right now. I have a lovely college degree as well though so some debt along with that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

jeff smisek posted:

It's not bad compared to some places, but way worse than it used to be. But the mountains are my poo poo

Also I'm in Chicago suburbs atm. Not super cheap, not super expensive.
I just want to live in Colorado. I always have ever since I was a kid

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Follow your dreams! I'm sure you will find something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

schnickety scribe posted:

Flyers, huh? Is their mascot a plane? I can't root for them if their mascot isn't a plane.

Don't you burn down my poo poo! What's wrong with you? There are enough meth labs in Chendoh trying to do just that, don't help them.

A Flyer is a Flyer. Nothing more need to be said. And meth labs are a great application of chemistry in action. See: Breaking Bad

there is no mascot or anything. No one knows what a Flyer is. It was picked because it sounded cool

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

70's filter because I'm in a 70's trailer! (Temporary while we're building our home, yes it sucks but at least we have internet.)

Anyway, just home from work... can you believe my job doesn't require a uniform? Holy balls you guys, I even come home smelling like strawberries and cotton candy. And I get to put my art in the shop! Also that's a sleeping Charlie cat in the upper right. She doesn't judge me for selling bongs and bong accessories.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Apr 17, 2016

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I lived in a 70s trailer for a few years and it rocked.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

jeff smisek posted:

I lived in a 70s trailer for a few years and it rocked.

Once the tokay gecko got out of his enclosure and tried to bite everyone, but it hasn't been awful otherwise. I mean, I'm really excited to have our place done being built but we could be living in a much worse place than a 38yo trailer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

RC Cola posted:

Also I'm in Chicago suburbs atm. Not super cheap, not super expensive.
I just want to live in Colorado. I always have ever since I was a kid

Not a good time now, you'll have to time the economy right or something. When we legalized pot everyone and their dog moved here so right now there's no jobs and nowhere to live.

Well, put another way there's just extremely stiff competition for what is here. Every house sells pretty much the day it goes on the market. I'm not sure you can find an apartment for under $1000 a month no matter how small.

LloydDobler has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Apr 17, 2016

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
drat, 1000 a month is supposed to be expensive? I guess living in the suburbs outside of Philly is actually expensive and I never knew it. My current rent is 1300 a month and I thought I had a reasonably priced appartment. poo poo I should move somewhere more interesting if they are all priced like this.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I pay 357 a month on a 1100 square feet that is 90 years old.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I grew up in an old trailer in a park full of crazy people and some things were pretty uncool. The pipes would freeze in winter and we wouldn't have running water or plumbing of any kind. There were holes in the floor that we could see the ground through so it was often very cold and mice would come in constantly. Some of the people were scary too. That's just what trailer parks are like I guess. I should roadtrip one day and see if it's still there.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

All y'all posting tough-cute pics make me want to do the same, but I don't gots any. :qq:

I'll have to take some later...

Quoting myself, 'cause I'm cool that way.

Got around to taking pictures. I didn't like most of them, but this is one that I thought tolerable. I also think it's dorky, but I was told it qualifies as "tough-cute." The person who told me is probably horribly biased, though, so feel free to correct him.

I look forward to your scathing criticism.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Got around to taking pictures. I didn't like most of them, but this is one that I thought tolerable. I also think it's dorky, but I was told it qualifies as "tough-cute." The person who told me is probably horribly biased, though, so feel free to correct him.

I like your fishies

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You appear to have abs.

Most people can't say that.

Good job!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm the sucker fish.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
come live in New Jersey, cost of living is super manageabl-ahHaahaa I can't even pretend

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Ab buddy! :respek: welcome to the apparent ~*TOUGHCUTE*~ clan

Also, good fish

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You're rocking it!

And so are you, as usual. grats on the new job!!

re: rentchat: bf and I pay 1300 a month for a 650 sq ft one bedroom, Denver rent sounds like a sweet deal

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I was paying 850 for a 350sqft box :( that's the norm here now. Soon we will be SanFran

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Sweet abs

Scathach posted:

70's filter because I'm in a 70's trailer! (Temporary while we're building our home, yes it sucks but at least we have internet.)

Anyway, just home from work... can you believe my job doesn't require a uniform? Holy balls you guys, I even come home smelling like strawberries and cotton candy. And I get to put my art in the shop! Also that's a sleeping Charlie cat in the upper right. She doesn't judge me for selling bongs and bong accessories.

Sweet face

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't normally talk about how unlike schnickety scribe, I believe in individual responsibility, the rule of law, and fair play. However, in this case I'm going to make an exception. I figure it's okay because schnickety scribe's suggestions are as devoid of meaning as the squawk of an angry bluejay. Let me skip right to the punchline: When uttered by schnickety scribe, the word “global”, as in “global spread of larrikinism”, implies, “It's not my fault”. In reality, we'd indeed have a lot less larrikinism if she would just stop imposing imprudent new restrictions on society just to satisfy some sort of disdainful drive for power. I would like to close by saying that I am undeniably prepared to grasp the nettle and halt the destructive process that is carrying our civilization toward extinction.

you're actually pretty cool

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

re: rentchat: bf and I pay 1300 a month for a 650 sq ft one bedroom, Denver rent sounds like a sweet deal

That has to be the Bay Area. Or DC. or Boston. Or a lot of places, really

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm from a rich family and have an easy life, would definitely recommend other posters look into this strategy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

jeff smisek posted:

I was paying 850 for a 350sqft box :( that's the norm here now. Soon we will be SanFran

It's only going to get worse in SF.

I may be buying a house near a ferry terminal with a direct connect to Seattle. It has a separate apartment (600ish sqFT) that can be rented out at $650 apparently. Can't wait to become a landlord...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I pay like 1200 for around 1100 sq ft but I also live like pissing distance from Trenton so I get those sweet sweet slum rates

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

DOOP posted:

That has to be the Bay Area. Or DC. or Boston. Or a lot of places, really

Sorry, you can't get a one bedroom for 1300 anywhere in the commutable Bay Area. My lease started in 2007 with serious rent control and I pay significantly more than that.

Also having two people in a $1300 apartment in a metro area isn't unmanageable if both people have jobs

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You could always look into the, *gasp*, suburbs, for affordable housing. :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah it's quite reasonable for this area, actually, but when people talk about their thousand plus square footage for 850 I get all :saddowns: on the inside

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

You could always look into the, *gasp*, suburbs, for affordable housing. :v:

gently caress a 2-3 hour one way commute. I live in a city near SF and it still takes me an hour fifteen to commute from 11 miles away.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

gently caress a 2-3 hour one way commute. I live in a city near SF and it still takes me an hour fifteen to commute from 11 miles away.

I'm sorry your highway engineers are sadists. :)

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

I'm sorry your highway engineers are sadists. :)

Bro, you can't take the highway, where the hell would you park in the city? When I drive in to work I am lucky if I can pay $4-$8 to park for two hours. Plus the bridge toll. Public transit is the only sustainable way, except our public transit system wasn't built to service this crushing number of commuters. And the train ain't cheap either.

Anyway everyone should move to Minneapolis

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

You made me feel bad about how fat I am so I just did push-ups and took my dog for a run.
Ps superb housing is the way to go. My fiancé and I bought a house about 16 months ago. It feels way better to pay mortgage than to pay rent.
That's my issue with wanting to move. We'd be giving up our nice big house to live in an apartment. You know as well as leaving all my family and friends.
On the other hand Illinois is the most boring worst place on the planet.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Aw, thanks everybody. :kimchi:

I've been working at losing weight and then toning my muscles since October 2014 (I don't feel like doing the math; also, there were several months where I kind of lost my motivation, so I don't think those count anyway), so I'm really proud of my bitty, baby abs.

VendaGoat posted:

I'm the sucker fish.
Which one? The albino bristlenose pleco or the spotted sailfin dwarf pleco?

RC Cola posted:

I like your fishies
The big one is Hayabusa, because he is an oscar, you see. He's also kind of an rear end in a top hat to the other oscar (not shown), Pearl because she didn't grow as fast as he did. He's been less of one since the sun cats (also not shown) were introduced and started schooling with her.

DOOP posted:

I don't normally talk about how unlike schnickety scribe, I believe in individual responsibility, the rule of law, and fair play. However, in this case I'm going to make an exception. I figure it's okay because schnickety scribe's suggestions are as devoid of meaning as the squawk of an angry bluejay. Let me skip right to the punchline: When uttered by schnickety scribe, the word “global”, as in “global spread of larrikinism”, implies, “It's not my fault”. In reality, we'd indeed have a lot less larrikinism if she would just stop imposing imprudent new restrictions on society just to satisfy some sort of disdainful drive for power. I would like to close by saying that I am undeniably prepared to grasp the nettle and halt the destructive process that is carrying our civilization toward extinction.
:qq: You didn't have to be so mean.

DOOP posted:

you're actually pretty cool
Thanks. :3: You're pretty cool, too. I'm jealous of your ability to bike. I just can't find a love for it. I never did it enough as a kid, so I'm always too nervous when I'm on one and just end up not having a good time. Walking and hiking are more my speed. Or horseback riding. Although I haven't done that last one in forever.

RC Cola posted:

You made me feel bad about how fat I am so I just did push-ups and took my dog for a run.
Don't feel bad about yourself because of me. :( But exercise is good, so I'm glad I inspired you to do a little.

Rent chat: My rent's up to $1030 for 800 sq ft, but that includes all utilities (including heat and hot water) except cable, phone, internet (all bundled, because gently caress Comcast), and electricity, and the location is fantastic for accessing the city--which is necessary for work--so I don't mind.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rent chat: 3bed 2 bath, 1675 sqft house for $1475/mo.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
$450 a month for about 500 sq ft plus a 12X24 garage. Sometimes living in the middle of nowhere is ok.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

come live in New Jersey, cost of living is super manageabl-ahHaahaa I can't even pretend

Once I moved to south jersey I found that prices were a lot more manageable.

EDIT: I just read your next comment and it turns out you're about as "south jersey" as me haha.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

Bro, you can't take the highway, where the hell would you park in the city? When I drive in to work I am lucky if I can pay $4-$8 to park for two hours. Plus the bridge toll. Public transit is the only sustainable way, except our public transit system wasn't built to service this crushing number of commuters. And the train ain't cheap either.

Anyway everyone should move to Minneapolis

I'm sorry your city planners are also sadists.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Which one? The albino bristlenose pleco or the spotted sailfin dwarf pleco?

I am as white as the driven snow, Ab Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My mortgage is about $750 per month for a 1688 sq. foot 4 br (well, 3 br + den), 2 bath house with a 2 car garage. My commute sucks though as I ended up getting a job on the complete opposite side of the valley from the house.

In some ways I miss apartment life (like taking care of landscaping, repairs, needing to repaint, etc.), but I love having a garage, a place that is mine (well, the banks I suppose) and being able to crank my music without worrying about people above/below/beside me.