Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Iraq is majority Shia. Syria is Sunni.

Yeah sorry I believe it's the majority of the diaspora is Shia, not Syria itself. I forgot sometimes because of Assad's Awalite background. Which is probably of course why Daesh had such a large recruiting pool given the leader's the opposite of the majority faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

DarkCrawler posted:

Iraq is majority Shia. Syria is Sunni.

And saying the rest of the world isn't doing their part makes you a pretty huge piece of poo poo or massively ignorant. The world has 60 million refugees. Turkey or Lebanon alone have taken more or as much as all of Europe. And it is not like Europe is dividing it equally either, about a dozen countries are carrying the load.

To be fair, there is a vast difference in the treatment that refugees get in Turkey/Lebanon and Europe. If Germany/Europe could simply establish refugee camps and have the UNHCR/WFP and NGOs care for the refugees, things would be different.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair, there is a vast difference in the treatment that refugees get in Turkey/Lebanon and Europe. If Germany/Europe could simply establish refugee camps and have the UNHCR/WFP and NGOs care for the refugees, things would be different.

More camps burned down by locals? :v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think this is really a thing, but you don't need lynch kind to prove your point. Many black people have been able to live normal lives in the US society, and they are undeniably part of American politics and culture, but I don't think there's a European country where the Roma a achieved any sort of integration at all, they are pretty exclusively relegated to second class status, if not entirely cordoned off in tenement ghettos that would make most third world country people cringe.

Don't gypsies not want to integrate? Like, I thought that was their whole deal, they like travelling around, doing their thing. wan't their a big kerfuffle in Britain a few years back because a bunch of gypsies just moved onto a dude's field and started building houses and stuff without his permission, and the government was like, "you can't do that"?

feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong about everything, I don't know anything about gypsies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Roma tend to integrate pretty well in America/Canada, where people don't have extreme hate against them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There are a few travelers who absolutely don't want to integrate at all but by and large the problem occurs because, as travelers, they don't want to settle down in any one place, so institutions that require you to have a fixed address etc. are undesirable.

I think in Spain there was a pilot scheme where this was taken into account and Roma crime rates dropped as well as school attainment records jumping up quite high. Someone from Spain feel free to tell me that was bunk, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Don't gypsies not want to integrate? Like, I thought that was their whole deal, they like travelling around, doing their thing. wan't their a big kerfuffle in Britain a few years back because a bunch of gypsies just moved onto a dude's field and started building houses and stuff without his permission, and the government was like, "you can't do that"?

feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong about everything, I don't know anything about gypsies.

You can't generalize about the Romani people, they are a very diverse bunch. Some of them are settled, others are nomadic.

There is a chicken-and-egg aspect to their integration problem: are they disliked because they are insular, or are they insular because they are disliked? It's a vicious circle. Yeah, some of them flout the laws of the land (find me one population that is 100% law-abiding) but that doesn't mean they're all roaming gangs of criminals.

They are generally treated pretty terribly, even when there is legislation that explicitly protects their rights.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah well to be fair, there is a vast difference between the available resources to employ and relative impact on the country too. To have as much refugees as Lebanon per capita, Europe would have to take more of them then actually exist. And Europe is ridiculously more wealthy and stable so it still wouldn't be equivalent.

There is a vast difference between the treatment a refugee gets in Germany VS Greece, Macedonia or Hungary as well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cat Mattress posted:

You can't generalize about the Romani people, they are a very diverse bunch. Some of them are settled, others are nomadic.

There is a chicken-and-egg aspect to their integration problem: are they disliked because they are insular, or are they insular because they are disliked? It's a vicious circle. Yeah, some of them flout the laws of the land (find me one population that is 100% law-abiding) but that doesn't mean they're all roaming gangs of criminals.

They are generally treated pretty terribly, even when there is legislation that explicitly protects their rights.

on that subject, is Roma or Romani really the cool thing to say instead of Gypsy? I don't want it to be like that time when it filtered through that you're supposed to say Inuit instead of Eskimo, and then it turned out Inuit referred to a specific tribe and there's plenty of northern indigenous peoples who get mad if you call them inuits

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Wan't their a big kerfuffle in Britain a few years back because a bunch of gypsies just moved onto a dude's field and started building houses and stuff without his permission, and the government was like, "you can't do that"?

Do you mean the Dale Farm dispute? If so the site was owned by Travellers, the dispute was over the fact it was green belt land and the construction on the site was carried out with planning permission

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

on that subject, is Roma or Romani really the cool thing to say instead of Gypsy? I don't want it to be like that time when it filtered through that you're supposed to say Inuit instead of Eskimo, and then it turned out Inuit referred to a specific tribe and there's plenty of northern indigenous peoples who get mad if you call them inuits

Roma are a distinct ethnic group among gypsies as are Sinti and a dozen others who HATE being called Sinti or Roma and actually prefer to be just called gypsy.

Basically you're wrong depending on who you talk to.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
The politically correct term in the UK is traveller, which also encompasses Irish communities.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

kustomkarkommando posted:

Do you mean the Dale Farm dispute? If so the site was owned by Travellers, the dispute was over the fact it was green belt land and the construction on the site was carried out with planning permission

Oh ok, so it was like Britain's version of the Bundy Ranch standoff?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Oh ok, so it was like Britain's version of the Bundy Ranch standoff?

It was more a conservative council using Rules-lawyering to oust social undesirables, the site was previously a scrap yard the council dumped waste onto it was in no way green belt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Regardless of how you choose to call them all as a group, some will object.

Wikipedia has a whole article just about their names.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

And given that a lot of the diaspora are fleeing from religious extremists, I'd say moving to nominally secular countries like France or Sweden makes sense considering if I was being persecuted for being atheist the last place I'd want to go is a) another Islamic theocracy or b) a Christian fundamentalist country like Hungary or Poland.
Neat little rhetorical trick here. Just because people are fleeing from religious extremists doesn't mean they're atheist, or even secular.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Neat little rhetorical trick here. Just because people are fleeing from religious extremists doesn't mean they're atheist, or even secular.

True, but lots of people have no qualms in holding the opposite but similar assumption that just because they're from the Middle East, they are deeply religious fundamentalist Muslims.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There is definitely room for argument and national preference when it comes to what constitutes speech and how much leeway people should be given when it comes to offensive speech.

I just wanted to point out for the many Americans reading that Western European states are,, in general, less permissive than the US when it comes to offensive or politically disagreeable speech and that this was not some unprecedented event.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

True, but lots of people have no qualms in holding the opposite but similar assumption that just because they're from the Middle East, they are deeply religious fundamentalist Muslims.
Just because the view is opposite does not make it equally unlikely though. Muslims from the Middle East are in general deeply religious, with support for abhorrent religious laws ranging from somewhere around "Jesus Christ!" to Muhammad. Obviously refugees might not be completely representative of the general population, but chances are many of them are going to at least be the Muslim equivalents of our own Christian right.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Kassad posted:

Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey (the part where refugees are, at least) are in Asia.

And this right here is the problem. You assume the refugees are all Syrian/Iraqis/Iranians.

This is nowhere NEAR the truth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Those who do not come from a war-torn country like Syria, Iraq, Libya, or Yemen are not considered to be refugees.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Cat Mattress posted:

Those who do not come from a war-torn country like Syria, Iraq, Libya, or Yemen are not considered to be refugees.

That's great in theory, however the stand that "Germany welcomes all refugees" was apparently not clear on the "You must be an actual refugee" part.

So what you actually have is migrants from every country trying to claim asylum all at once. It was a ridiculous popularity stunt by Merkel and has backfired badly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cat Mattress posted:

lots of political refugees from east africa where i'm from

you know, like, journalists, labour organisers &c who are persecuted by their government because they're idk communists or w/e

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well, "lots", relatively speaking

the point being, it's entirely plausible that some saudi republican or w/e could flee and have a valid reason to seek asylum in europe

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

lots of political refugees from east africa where i'm from

you know, like, journalists, labour organisers &c who are persecuted by their government because they're idk communists or w/e

Bunch of no-good lazy parasites want to gorge themselves on our welfare states and steal all our jobs :tinfoil:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

the point being, it's entirely plausible that some saudi republican or w/e could flee and have a valid reason to seek asylum in europe

Sure, but if they come as political refugees then they have to prove their claim that they face political persecution at home.

For what happens next, play "Papers, Please".

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Political persecution in the Gambia? Don't be ridiculous!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cat Mattress posted:

Sure, but if they come as political refugees then they have to prove their claim that they face political persecution at home.

yeah the ones i know generally have physical scars and a haunted look in their eyes to back up their case

i guess i could see some case-manager arguing that they hung themselves up by meathooks or something though

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cat Mattress posted:

A lot of migrants throw their passport away and say they lost them in the war to hide the fact they are economical refugees.

You have to take them in until you figure out their nationality, because it's not allowed to let people become stateless.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://www.svd.se/romson-11-september-en-olycka/om/sverige

quote:

Deputy Prime Minister Åsa Romson (MP) termed the terrorist attacks in the United States September 11, 2001 as "accidents" when she starred in "Good morning Sweden" on SVT this morning

What did she mean by this?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Are you asking for a translation or for people to read her mind?

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 19, 2016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Her claimed intent was to describe the event from the point of Swedish muslims. The full quote is "he has been the president for young muslims (an organization) during difficult situations such as those around the 11 september accidents". The whole comment is about the ties of a (now former) miniser from her party, to Turkish extreme right and Islamist organizations.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the intent, but that she is just bad with politically appropriate phrasing, she has had a number of these issues in the press over the years.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Cat Mattress posted:

So far evidence would seem to bear out the assertion that a large fraction of them, if not a majority per se, are deeply religious fundamentalist Muslims.

Furthermore, while there can certainly be exceptions, I think that in the current atmosphere of extremism, it is fair to say that the more religious a particular Muslim is, the more likely they are to be a political extremist who supports violence and theocracy. Note that the metric I am using for religiosity here is the relative importance an individual assigns to defending/spreading/living out his or her religion vs. the importance assigned to everything else in their life; detailed knowledge of specific scripture is not a useful way to measure religiosity.

None of this is to say that any refugees should necessarily be denied asylum. But I do think that by now, there is a very strong argument to be made that the religious beliefs and culture of these refugees and migrants represent a particular problem that needs to be directly and specifically addressed by the host governments - because out of all the social and political improvements that western civilization has accomplished over the past three centuries, secularism is the most indispensable.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Zudgemud posted:

Her claimed intent was to describe the event from the point of Swedish muslims. The full quote is "he has been the president for young muslims (an organization) during difficult situations such as those around the 11 september accidents". The whole comment is about the ties of a (now former) miniser from her party, to Turkish extreme right and Islamist organizations.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the intent, but that she is just bad with politically appropriate phrasing, she has had a number of these issues in the press over the years.

When translating to English (especially via machine translation) her poor choice of words is compounded by the fact that there is no 1:1 translation of the word "olycka" besides. It is (of course) a much broader term than "accident" (see my post above). Going by the machine translated excerpt you would think she called the 11 september attacks "olyckshändelser" or something, which of course she did not (although granted there is room to interpret it that way - if you do it maliciously; which is why a competent spokesperson (Romson being the opposite) would have used another word entirely).

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 19, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It seems to me a better translation than accident would be something like "unfortunate incident", wouldn't it? Still stupid, but not outright whitewashing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

It seems to me a better translation than accident would be something like "unfortunate incident", wouldn't it? Still stupid, but not outright whitewashing.

In the context it could also mean the incidents relating to 9/11 with an increase in islamophobia and various attacks etc. But most likely she just used the wrong word and politically inappropriate phrasing, she has done several of those before, and she most likely won't actually go dance a jig on some 9/11 memorial.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

It's pretty racist to call the 9/11 attacks "accidents", like Arabs aren't able to put their mind to an intellectual pursuit and succeed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's pretty racist to call the 9/11 attacks "accidents", like Arabs aren't able to put their mind to an intellectual pursuit and succeed.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, it was actually just a very poorly built and maintained building, it would have collapsed any day then, the plane crashing was a non factor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Liberal_L33t posted:

So far evidence would seem to bear out the assertion that a large fraction of them, if not a majority per se, are deeply religious fundamentalist Muslims.

That's interesting since it's not what I was led to believe, can you link the data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

That's interesting since it's not what I was led to believe, can you link the data?

It's Liberal_l33t dude. He thinks every Muslim is a fundamentalist. Like Dawkins level paranoid delusion.