Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aww, I like the horse.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's a reference to the tight 17th century London alleyways flooding and carrying the bloated corpses of stray animals down the street. Feel Good Comix!

Yeah, no poo poo Chazz! That's what happens when you choose a breed of dog based on how well they fit in your apartment! Also, keeping a sapient life form as a pet.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Stop it! Heroic sacrifices don't count if you just bring the character back a few pages later! I'm looking at you, Bible!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set gets a little too close to nature.

Working Daze is back to Big Bang Theory jokes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is in a state of quantum uncertainty.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The art in Fort Knox and Take it from the Tinkersons both feel like they're ripping off something but I can't tell what. Maybe Matt Groening and early Family Guy respectively?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If they're trying to ape something they're not at all successful. These comics are ugly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good Listener posted:

The art in Fort Knox and Take it from the Tinkersons both feel like they're ripping off something but I can't tell what. Maybe Matt Groening and early Family Guy respectively?

It reads like art that comes from wanting to specifically draw comic strips and not ever branch out from that. Just learned enough to draw the one thing. Fort Knox especially.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Aww, I like the horse.

I'd certainly rather have the horse than Fort Knox or the Tinkersons. And yes, I know that is damning with faint praise.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Apparently the front door is broken too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, they saw how Pearls Before Swine gets away with the bland, copy-pasted look and thought " Hey I can do that too!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, they saw how Pearls Before Swine gets away with the bland, copy-pasted look and thought " Hey I can do that too!"

Funny you say that, Pastis explicitly has said that he was inspired by Dilbert, realizing that if Scott Adams could get away with that look he could too.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Pastis also frequently admits (both in the strip and in book collections) that he has a very poor opinion of his own drawing ability, so imitating him is basically admitting that you think you suck.

And also your puns will never be as elaborate as his puns, let's be honest.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

As Tiggum pointed out, the good reason for calling Phantom to travel across the world is, "How old are you?"

Even though this is Old Timey Phantom, the "Ghost who Cannot Die" schtick has already been well and truly established. Even for a dumb adventure strip, it's kind of nutty that Diana's dad or uncle or whatever hasn't cottoned on that there's been a Phantom running around for a loooong time now.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Mr. Tweedy

Life In Hell

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Aww, I like the horse.

Tina's Groove

This is a super good pun

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Mr. Tweedy

How Charles Addams. I like it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Everett, my friend, you might not want to piss off the guy holding a straight razor against your throat. Just sayin'.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Man, it was really hard to get a poem into that high school paper in Funky Winkerbean back in the day.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Yoga teleport? I guess Mary Worth takes place in the Street Fighter universe.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (April 18-19, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (August 30-September 1, 1954)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

"I don't know why the girls never invite me to places, I'm such a nice guy...."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

I wish my editing skills were high enough to swap the "AHHH!" and "SO WHEN DO WE GET PAID?" word balloons in these.

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That pancake record seems like a pretty simple thing to beat, provided you actually want to put in the effort of making that many.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Presto posted:

Everett, my friend, you might not want to piss off the guy holding a straight razor against your throat. Just sayin'.

On the other hand, that's probably not the guy you want eyeing babes when shaving you either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That's it? I bet I could beat that.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

S-s-some gizmo :negative:

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It took me ten hours to figure out that I posted this to the wrong thread. One of those days, I guess.

Peanuts (April 19, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Today's punchline: Society only has use for you when you can offer something useful for society. "Useful" in the entertainment industry is a judged on a whim, and the sword is always at your throat. Happy Sunday!

Crankshaft

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Today's punchline: Society only has use for you when you can offer something useful for society. "Useful" in the entertainment industry is a judged on a whim, and the sword is always at your throat. Happy Sunday!

I'm not misremembering that the reason Batiuk is so salty about Hollywood is because he tried to turn Funky Winkerbean into another Garfield and failed miserably, right?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Living in a rundown apartment in lower Manhattan doesn't seem all that bad when you consider the Manhattan real estate market. (Well, Cliff might have had rent control.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

That pancake record seems like a pretty simple thing to beat, provided you actually want to put in the effort of making that many.
Pancakes do not strike me as the best building material, unless you're cheating and making them differently from ones you'd make for people to eat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

10/06/1992, one of the last times anything in pop culture would call this dinosaur Deinonychus.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

I hate you, Bobby. I hope you shoot yourself in your sleep.

Big Ben Bolt

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Yes, this is why Keanu Reeves' career vanished after one movie of his didn't do so well. Dude's living in a gutter now.

(Seriously Tom Batiuk OPEN A loving BOOK)

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Some Charles Burns poo poo in the foreground of that first panel. The Sally Forth artist is really good in an understated way.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

Pancakes do not strike me as the best building material, unless you're cheating and making them differently from ones you'd make for people to eat.

Doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to slap some more on there.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dadding Badly

Wallace the Brave

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm
I'm not sorry...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

This time posted in the correct thread the first time!

Bloom County

Skippy (February 18, 1929)

Peanuts: Don't let him get into your head, kid. (April 21, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

A two-fisted tale of the far-flung future, shot on location in exotic CLEVELAND!

Can somebody sell me on this? Because as usual, TomBat isn't bothering.

Crankshaft: And speaking of improbable events...

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 5, 1929)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah yes, used books, that guaranteed sale commodity.

Oh Reddick, there are so many reasons.

• Locked thread