Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i started disliking it when every episode started having psuedo-philosophical life affirmations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
one of the lead writers on welcome to night vale asked me out for coffee once and i told him i wasnt gay and he stopped talking tom e

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
a year later he saw me making out with a dude and he started crying

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
haha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm v. happy kirk is posting w/ us again :unsmith:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm v. happy kirk is posting w/ us again :unsmith:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So did that razr thing pass?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Karate Bastard posted:

you may want to see a doctor

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Karate Bastard posted:

thats a cell phone you doof

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i listened to the first 5 eps of welcome to nightvale and they were ok. a year later I went to a live show thinking it would be a neat little mood piece but nope. it was an interenet fandom love fest filled with cosplayers and most of the script was designed to give them an opportunity to woo at the stage or give a standing ovation

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

i listened to the first 5 eps of welcome to nightvale and they were ok. a year later I went to a live show thinking it would be a neat little mood piece but nope. it was an interenet fandom love fest filled with cosplayers and most of the script was designed to give them an opportunity to woo at the stage or give a standing ovation

listen to tanis and the black tapes, they're not perfect but they're fun

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

i just now listened to one of these and i don't understand the appeal

originally it was non-sequitor "day in the life" reports from an x-files/twin peaks hellscape, but then the creators got up their own butt about "characters" and "fictional world"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fan-driven adherence to continuity is death-rattle of modern creative endeavors.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

fan-driven adherence to continuity is death-rattle of modern creative endeavors.

this is also why that one ds9/classic tribble works so well, worf's "we don't talk about that" is just spelling out the moral of the entire episode

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

yeah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

anyway I'm reading The Dying Earth by Jack Nance. it's pretty cool. i knew nance influenced d&d but didn't know it went as far as lifting actual spell names like "Prismatic Spray". I like how it feels closer to a bunch of fairy stories than an epic political serial, too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Amethyst posted:

The Dying Earth by Jack Nance.

/to the Earth

"Oh, you are sick!"

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

duTrieux. posted:

people twisting themselves into contortions to justify a new bit of canon a writer made up on the spot to:

get around production shortcomings
because they wanted to go home
because they were thick and didn't understand some bit of technobabble
want to shoe horn in their religious/political beliefs

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
r/daystrominstitute

every other post is "what if the ds9 crew had been present instead of the regular crew in (every single event in star trek)" and the reply is always "sisko would have got it done faster but killed people and broke the law in the process because the only ds9 episode i remember is In The Pale Moonlight"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that sisko, thinking every problem can be solved by turning into a black 40s sci fi author

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
star trek isn't great by most standards, at best they managed to accidentally do a few interesting things

but the one thing that is 100% terrible all of the time is star trek fan fiction

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I like the theory in use of weapons that human life is just an attempt by the universe to deal with all the alcohol just floating in space

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I finished wasp factory last night, very underwhelmed by the ending

all that buildup for a half assed shyamalan twist that resolved nothing and made no sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

star trek isn't great by most standards, at best they managed to accidentally do a few interesting things

but the one thing that is 100% terrible all of the time is star trek fan fiction

i'd say that about 70% of official canonical star trek is eye-rollingly terrible, and another 25% is only mediocre. 5% is good to great, but it isn't worth it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

i'd say that about 70% of official canonical star trek is eye-rollingly terrible, and another 25% is only mediocre. 5% is good to great, but it isn't worth it
the good part actually is worth it, it's conveniently discrete from everything else

i refer of course to the first two seasons of the original series

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in this episode we will explore racial tensions with a man who is black on one side and white on the other, and his mirror image

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

after centuries of detente, in this episode the enterprise crew finally sees one of the dreaded Romulans in person, only to discover that Romulans look just like our friends the Vulcans

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Tomalak is cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a madman and his equally mad antimatter brother will spend an eternity at each other's throats in a pocket dimension to avoid the destruction of the universe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

captain kirk will spend the entire episode savaging a lizard, but refrain from killing him to prove that humans are more than their baser instincts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh look we found a planet exactly like earth, except it's all romans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh look we found a planet exactly like earth, except it's all nazis

oh look we found a planet exactly like earth, except it's all 1920s gangster caricatures

oh look we found a planet exactly like earth, except it's all literal greek gods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we upset a witch and now we have to go fight her in a medieval castle i guess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the gangster planet was an earth colony except their ship crashed and the only surviving document was a copy of Chicago Mobs of the Twenties and they used it as the basis of their society

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, that makes perfect sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we pissed off some weirdo made of living rock and now we have to gunfight at the o.k. corral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

• Locked thread