Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Acne Rain posted:

I head that NX stands for NINTENDO XTREEM, c/d

can confirm, great aunt twice removed works for nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hope Nintendo continued to toss money at improbable sequels and collaborative projects.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i bet that the nintendo nx will have exactly one mario kart game for it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No real news for the NX, but Kimishima basically confirmed a 2016 release in a recent interview.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-nx-specs-price-release-date-rumors/

Mods, please give this thread an NX title again.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No real news for the NX, but Kimishima basically confirmed a 2016 release in a recent interview.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-nx-specs-price-release-date-rumors/

Mods, please give this thread an NX title again.

Changing it from "NX Gon Give it to Ya" was a mistake.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What if its a phone that plays nintendo games?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5o4GKg934

NX port rumors. Zelda of course, but also Smash 4, Splatoon, and Mario Maker.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Hopefully they have cross-play with the Wii U.

If this is true, though, it probably also means no backwards compatibility which isn't surprising.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5o4GKg934

NX port rumors. Zelda of course, but also Smash 4, Splatoon, and Mario Maker.

If they do the "buy it on Wii U and have it on NX" thing, I'm down.

That rumor about BG&E2 being on NX is too wishlist to be true, but if anyone would pull a Bayonetta 2 on BG&E, it would be Nintendo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Some new rumors. Basically, Nintendo is focusing first on the console, it's more powerful than the current PS4 "by a noticeable amount", four Wii U ports are being worked on but not all may see the light, and the architecture is believed to be x86 and not ARM. NDAs are so tight that nothing else has come out in spite of prodding from all directions. That's an achievement.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

the architecture is believed to be x86 and not ARM.

Could I get the Cliff Notes™ version of what this means?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jonas Albrecht posted:

can't hold things very well without an arm

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I imagine you are asking about the technical stuff and not shitposting your own thread, so I'll bite: PC architecture is x86, and both modern consoles (Bone and PS4) are x86. That's the instruction set of their CPUs.

Nintendo traditionally worked with PowerPC for consoles (a now very dead architecture) and ARM on their handhelds. With ARM becoming much stronger in the past few years, it was believed that they would use that since the NX in theory is supposed to be both devices (console and handheld). A x86 handheld is pretty much impossible at the moment due to how much battery and size those CPUs take.

Confirming that the console is x86, however, means that ports from PC/other consoles will be much, much easier to do. That in turn means, that if a NX handheld will come at some point, it will receive scaled down ports from the NX console, which not every company will do, sure, but if they have the right development setup (and even back then Iwata was saying that was their intention) it will be easy and thus will happen frequently. If anything, the wait to release a handheld may be intended for mobile hardware to get to the level that those scaled down ports won't look inferior.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 13, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I imagine you are asking about the technical stuff and not shitposting your own thread, so I'll bite:

I was sincere, thank you for the answer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If anything it sounds like Kimishima (and the late Iwata) had a good plan on how this will work out. It sounds like it will be a Genesis vs SNES situation, where the Genesis had the lead but the SNES had superior hardware and Nintendo exclusives, so the latter eventually won that particular console war. The only difference is that the Genesis did not have over 30 million systems in the hands of the public when the SNES came out, which the PS4 does.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

If anything it sounds like Kimishima (and the late Iwata) had a good plan on how this will work out. It sounds like it will be a Genesis vs SNES situation, where the Genesis had the lead but the SNES had superior hardware and Nintendo exclusives, so the latter eventually won that particular console war. The only difference is that the Genesis did not have over 30 million systems in the hands of the public when the SNES came out, which the PS4 does.
Sounds like a starry-eyed pipe dream to me but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I still don't believe they can get the multi-platform support that everyone else has, but it also seemed like that shouldn't really be as difficult as it has been. As long as the consumer choice comes down to getting a machine that plays most new things or getting "the Nintendo" they're going to have a tough time of it. That was acceptable back in the SNES/Genesis wars because the sides were a bit more even and either choice meant missing out on a lot.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Sounds like a starry-eyed pipe dream to me but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I still don't believe they can get the multi-platform support that everyone else has, but it also seemed like that shouldn't really be as difficult as it has been. As long as the consumer choice comes down to getting a machine that plays most new things or getting "the Nintendo" they're going to have a tough time of it. That was acceptable back in the SNES/Genesis wars because the sides were a bit more even and either choice meant missing out on a lot.

Has there ever been a mid-generation console launch that was really successful? Assuming that even applies in this weird-rear end generation.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Has there ever been a mid-generation console launch that was really successful? Assuming that even applies in this weird-rear end generation.

PS2 technically? It launched in 2000 - two years after the dreamcast.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Sounds like a starry-eyed pipe dream to me but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I feel much the same.

Amusingly enough, Sony may have just shot themselves on the foot here with that PS4K thingy. While people don't have to update, many will feel compelled to -- except if there is another system that is also stronger than their current hardware, that has third party support, but a unique selling point (cool Nintendo exclusives, for one thing), maybe those people won't go with the PS4K after all. Splitting their user base is generally unhealthy, yet this is what Sony is going to do. If Nintendo's in the right place, at the right time, they can use that to their advantage.

It's fun to speculate. In fact, it's the only thing non-insiders can do right now. Other than shut up and play their videogame backlog. :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I feel much the same.

Amusingly enough, Sony may have just shot themselves on the foot here with that PS4K thingy. While people don't have to update, many will feel compelled to -- except if there is another system that is also stronger than their current hardware, that has third party support, but a unique selling point (cool Nintendo exclusives, for one thing), maybe those people won't go with the PS4K after all. Splitting their user base is generally unhealthy, yet this is what Sony is going to do. If Nintendo's in the right place, at the right time, they can use that to their advantage.

It's fun to speculate. In fact, it's the only thing non-insiders can do right now. Other than shut up and play their videogame backlog. :v:

NX being slightly more powerful than a PS4 could definitely quash the PS4K momentum, whenever or whatever that comes to pass. Personally I'd love a Nintendo device that gets a fair majority of the stuff the other consoles get and would make passing on the PS4K thing much easier, too.
Those ports all seem likely but I'm more interested in what the 3 or 4 new major titles they can offer up will be. I'd laugh if Beyond Good and Evil 2 really turns out to be one of them. poo poo, throw in another Bayonetta for good measure. Or loving Vanquish 2, why not

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

tithin posted:

PS2 technically? It launched in 2000 - two years after the dreamcast.

Considering that the Gamecube and Xbox both came out in 2001, I think that's more that the Dreamcast came out way too early for that generation. I'd guess most people would say that that generation started with the PS2 and Dreamcast was just an outlier.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

More rumors for the rumor mill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgl1oSqj3QU

The NX controller has a screen. I mean, that one has felt like a given for awhile now, but the bit about streaming games from your NX library sounds neat I guess.

Luigi's Mansion 3 for NX.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Nintendo traditionally worked with PowerPC for consoles (a now very dead architecture)

I feel so goony posting this but PowerPC isn't a dead architecture. Power8 and soon Power9 are exceptionally powerful and in the limited benchmarks I have seen of PowerPC vs x86 in single core performance the PowerPC crushes x86. If they weren't so goddamn expensive I would consider buying one. Source

With that said, I agree with any opinion that it is a poor architecture to choose for a console. Single threaded (not core) the Power8 is substantially slower than x86 X7. It only outperforms because a single PowerPC core has 8 threads and can outperform x86 on a per core basis. So it makes a first class server, useless desktop/console for most people.

I suppose you could also call it dead by the fact few people use the architecture at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Computer architecture sounds really neat. Is there a good layman's source for reading up on it?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Computer architecture sounds really neat. Is there a good layman's source for reading up on it?

Kinda? It depends on what you want to know. I know of 4 architectures currently in use on production machines. There are more, but it's mostly for smaller things.

ARM
x86
PowerPC
SPARC

This is the list in order of popularity. SPARC is only really good for Java and Oracle products, it comes from Sun Microsystems and now Oracle. PowerPC started from AIM (Apple, IBM and Motorola Alliance) and is only made by Freescale and IBM. It is amazing for servers. ARM comes from Acorn as an internal replacement for the old 6502 architecture they were using. As of the A9X chip made by apple, ARM is starting to reach x86 performance. We all know x86.

This should be enough to get you going. I don't know of any simple layman guide. But if you google what you want to know you'll find some awesome people explaining the history and how they competed with each other. If you want to know something specific to how/why an architecture is chosen for a platform I can go through it.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 17, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So can I begin restoring my hopes for one of Nintendo's "launch window only" series to finally get an HD title like Wave Race or Pilotwings?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

This should be enough to get you going.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1uzK5ldgXs
Emily Rogers denies that the NX is as powerful as rumors state.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/4/27/11516352/nintendo-nx-confirmed-release-date?client=ms-android-sprint-us

NX launching March 2017.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, the Wii U thread is dead, so we're gonna forge ahead with NX chat. Good luck, lil thread!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

Confirming that the console is x86, however, means that ports from PC/other consoles will be much, much easier to do.

this is absolute nonsense

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
So I've been thinking a lot about a Smash for NX and if it ended up being a port of Smash for Wii U with more features and characters. Would there be enough time between now and the NX's launch to get out something like that either alongside the NX or later on in 2017?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

So I've been thinking a lot about a Smash for NX and if it ended up being a port of Smash for Wii U with more features and characters. Would there be enough time between now and the NX's launch to get out something like that either alongside the NX or later on in 2017?

Oh totally, particularly if they're ports with minimal new features.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how many Good Games would it reasonably take for people to buy an NX off the bat? I forgot the launch window games (first 3 months or so) of the WiiU but I didn't buy that for about a year in, same with PS4.
Realistically there's gonna be Zelda/Pikmin 4 but I have no idea what else they'd be working on that's not Mario/Star Fox for launch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A Smash 4 NX has been rumored for months including by that Emily Rogers lady. Don't give too much stock into what she says, though, she doesn't seem to be on the ball much lately. Still, it would be an easy system seller for those who didn't buy a Wii U.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I forgot the launch window games (first 3 months or so)

Nintendoland and Nintendoland. They really, really pushed it to be the system's seller and it sadly misfired and then they completely disowned the game, even though it's one of the best party games on any system. It was followed by New Mario U (the best one yet, but as the fourth New Mario game it was mostly ignored), Zombi U (Ubisoft's attempt at a unique new IP that would take advantage of the console, quietly ignored), and Pikmin 3 a few months later. Tons of other third party games, though, including from EA and Warner Bros, but as most of those were ports of games released several months earlier people wrote them off completely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

how many Good Games would it reasonably take for people to buy an NX off the bat? I forgot the launch window games (first 3 months or so) of the WiiU but I didn't buy that for about a year in, same with PS4.
Realistically there's gonna be Zelda/Pikmin 4 but I have no idea what else they'd be working on that's not Mario/Star Fox for launch.

I will buy one at launch if its true that both 3ds and wii u are dead and nx will be the only platform.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pikmin and Zelda are just about the only games I would desperately want to play on release so since BotW is gonna be on Wii U it would take a Pikmin 4 launch exclusive to get me to consider buying the NX right away. Otherwise I'll just wait for it to build a bit of a backlog.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Real hurthling! posted:

I will buy one at launch if its true that both 3ds and wii u are dead and nx will be the only platform.

They won't kill off 3DS so quickly... still lots of money to be made off of kids at lower console price points.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zenintrude posted:

They won't kill off 3DS so quickly... still lots of money to be made off of kids at lower console price points.

Nx will be doa if they dont put every studio on it though.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

MinibarMatchman posted:

i will buy it if it has f-zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Real hurthling! posted:

Nx will be doa if they dont put every studio on it though.

That isn't true. Unless you think every 3ds game is a nintendo game like the wii u, I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. For the first part, unlike the wii u there are a plethora of third party games being developed for the 3ds. Second, developers who work on 3ds games have expertise in a completely different code base or whatever. And really, the 3ds is far from dying, there is zero reason why nintendo should kill off one of it's dominant platforms (handheld consoles).

NX will be fine if nintendo manages to ganish whatever they develop for it alongside third party software upon release. If nintendo jumps out the gate with a gently caress ton of games from all their divisions, they will basically have nothing else to release for it for a long while while everyone starts developing another game. They'll have to rely on third party devs to keep nx games releasing or suffer a drought, and we saw how well that worked for the wii u. Sometimes you need to stagger releases, though not for months at a time ala every console this generation.

• Locked thread