Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Calling a mahi mahi an El Dorado must be a west coast thing. When the beer came out I was like "wtf is an El dorado" and then I saw it was a mahi mahi or dolphin/dollfin fish. You west coast people are so silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mahi mahi is a Hawaiian word. Dorado is Spanish. They refer to the same critter.

Hope this helps.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

poop dood posted:

I walked two blocks down to Ardent for their New England IPA release afterward and I guess my palate was blasted by that point because I could only taste malt. Definitely didn't look like a New England IPA, more of a dark copper color. I got a growler to share with a friend of mine, we'll see how it goes with fresh palates but honestly, I'm not expecting much. Something about the malt profile that Ardent uses on their IPAs really doesn't jive with me; it's really caramelly and weirdly pretzel-y sometimes. Not ideal for hoppy beers. Their saisons and other stuff are great though, don't get me wrong, and the Session IPL rules. I'm just finding more and more that their IPAs aren't my style.

well, we can't all have learned the recipes for the best beers on the planet and then scored insane hop contracts a year before we even had a brewery (seriously, the amount of the types of hops they're using are literally unavailable to most breweries, much less ones that haven't made beer)!

really, though, that's fine- our regular IPA has a bit of malty sweetness to it, for sure, but it's a balanced beer for less-nerdy palates, so, you know, personal preference and all that. the New England IPA actually has a totally different malt bill, but we had never made it before and the new yeast didn't attenuate as much as it was supposed to, so any sweetness was unintentional. we did fine it- albeit lightly- which i don't think most places do, but i'm not sure about the thought process there- maybe someone was uncomfortable not fining it? like i said, none of us had made this style before.

we also had the release day set weeks before we knew when they were opening, so it wasn't intended as a head-to-head match, because i would have fully expected us to lose; Answer, Veil, and Triple Crossing all make better IPAs, so i hope none of that comes across as me getting defensive. Veil is straight-up beer nerd brewery, so they're going to create way more conversation with people like us, but that's cool because i'm friends with those dudes and am happy that their business is going to do well.

even if i'm a little bitter about the hop contracts

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

poop dood posted:

I'm continually blown away by how many people don't realize that Ballast Point's beers are named after fish. There are pictures of them right there on the label!

What habitat do you usually find the noble Victory at Sea? I'm watching a bunch of Cousteau documentaries today and have yet to hear mention of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

What habitat do you usually find the noble Victory at Sea? I'm watching a bunch of Cousteau documentaries today and have yet to hear mention of it.

I prefer fresh fried commodore myself

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Hauki posted:

I prefer fresh fried commodore myself

i prefer mine leaning over a desk, looking out the window

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

poop dood posted:

I'm continually blown away by how many people don't realize that Ballast Point's beers are named after fish. There are pictures of them right there on the label!

I knew that about plenty of them, but when I see El Dorado on a beer I tend to think of hops. El Dorado hops are pretty recognizable to me usually, though, so I'm glad it wasn't just my palate.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

god dammit I knew someone was gonna say that

funkybottoms posted:

i prefer mine leaning over a desk, looking out the window

sick achewood ref

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

poop dood posted:

god dammit I knew someone was gonna say that

The lowest hanging fruit is usually the one that Ballast Point will add to some random beer they make.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

ChickenArise posted:

I knew that about plenty of them, but when I see El Dorado on a beer I tend to think of hops. El Dorado hops are pretty recognizable to me usually, though, so I'm glad it wasn't just my palate.

It's just "Dorado" tho not "El Dorado". but yeah I can see how it would be a bit confusing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sextro posted:

Just moved to Philadelphia. Where do I drink beer and where do I buy beer and holy poo poo why do the liquor stores suck so much. I mean I get that they're state run but you'd think they could stock a few less shelves of $15 vodka and make room for other stuff.

Welcome. Drink at all of these places:

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Philadelphia,_PA_%28and_surrounding_areas%29

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That needs updating desperately

EDIT: Whoever runs it please make me an account so I can fix that horrible page

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 17, 2016

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

That needs updating desperately

EDIT: Whoever runs it please make me an account so I can fix that horrible page

Yeah, I could add a lot of info to some of the west coast pages also

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChiTownEddie runs the wiki, hit him up.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ahhh! Let me re-re-re-fix that site and I'll give permissions tomorrow.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Any bottle recommendations for the Baltimore area?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Friend of mine showed me how to homebrew today AND shared a 2013 bottle of SN Barrel-Aged Narwhal. I try to avoid hyperbole but uhhh...that's one of the best beers I've ever had.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gio posted:

Friend of mine showed me how to homebrew today AND shared a 2013 bottle of SN Barrel-Aged Narwhal. I try to avoid hyperbole but uhhh...that's one of the best beers I've ever had.

Welcome to home brewing. Come join us over here.
I still haven't had that sucaba I mentioned. It's been a busy weekend. :smith:

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Flying in to Raleigh, NC for a wedding in New Bern, NC (so eastern coast area of NC). Looking for recommendations for some bottle shops/beer stores in this general area. East of Raleigh closer to New Bern would be better as I'm not planning on spending time in Raleigh, just flying in and renting a car, but I'm willing to drive out of the way as I have a whole day to kill. I'm after bottles I can't get in Colorado (so like Wicked Weed I guess?)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Any bottle recommendations for the Baltimore area?

The Wine Source is a good shop. dunno what you like, but Union Brewing and Brewer's Art are decent breweries that don't get distro in VA. i've heard Manor Hill is decent and can say that Full Tilt is definitively awful.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I don't really follow the trade scene outside of invite only groups and TB, but apparently FB just axed some big ones tonight?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

I don't really follow the trade scene outside of invite only groups and TB, but apparently FB just axed some big ones tonight?

yeah, groups that had to do with buying, selling, and trading guns and/or alcohol. not sure if they were closed or secret, but i saw comments about three different beer or bourbon groups simply disappearing, so most of the beer-centric groups i'm in changed their names last night.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Seriously you all, if you are in the Uk and are not giving Mad Hatter brewery your business, you are doing yourself a grave misgiving.
Where else can you get a Quads and tripels for about £3 and that also tastes amazing?

Salted caramel quad is entirely too good.

Not sure how much distribution they have outside the north-west, though they did do a tap takeover in Brighton recently, so perhaps they're expanding.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I finally got the call, I'm officially an Ale Apothecary Ale Club member :911:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

Brewer's Art

Do you know if the beer they serve at the restaurant is contract brewed by the same people doing their packaging? I don't think I've been to the actual brewpub since way before cans came out, but I always really liked it. We see plenty of it in NoVA, but I don't pick it up as often as I should because I gloss over most Belgian beers. :/

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

a worthy uhh posted:

Dang, how long were you on that wait list?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Welcome to the club! Sorry you had to wait a while; most of the Bend members (like me) have been in it since '12 so

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Welcome to the club! Sorry you had to wait a while; most of the Bend members (like me) have been in it since '12 so

i was in the club before it was cool there was a waitlist

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

a worthy uhh posted:

Same here!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Lagunitas Aunt Sally - for lack of a better description, it's a sour APA. I think I like it, but it has a lot of clashing flavors and I could see myself either liking it more as I go or wondering what to do with the rest of the 6-pack. There's definitely some piney hops and a nice clean tartness. It might be like drinking OJ after brushing your teeth or it might be a cool riff on the hoppy sour. Has anyone had it? It was a random find at 7-11 for me, and appears to have been bottled 13 days ago in Chicago.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

Lagunitas Aunt Sally - for lack of a better description, it's a sour APA. I think I like it, but it has a lot of clashing flavors and I could see myself either liking it more as I go or wondering what to do with the rest of the 6-pack. There's definitely some piney hops and a nice clean tartness. It might be like drinking OJ after brushing your teeth or it might be a cool riff on the hoppy sour. Has anyone had it? It was a random find at 7-11 for me, and appears to have been bottled 13 days ago in Chicago.

Haven't seen it in Vegas, but I've been laying low for a while. I'm heading to the bottle shop shortly and will see if it's in yet.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

Liked the bottle I drank, though I didn't get a full sixer. But I'm a sucker for tart and hops...

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, groups that had to do with buying, selling, and trading guns and/or alcohol. not sure if they were closed or secret, but i saw comments about three different beer or bourbon groups simply disappearing, so most of the beer-centric groups i'm in changed their names last night.

Yeah I watched this thing spread through beer groups - people who had groups specifically devoted to illegal resale got shut down, and so other people who just post beer selfies were like OMG ZARK FUCKERBERG IS COMING FOR ME NEXT.

ChickenArise posted:

I liked that beer a lot, reminded me of a toned down version of New Belgium Le Terroir which I love.

So this is as good a segway as any to talk about me going to the "Sneaky Peak" for Lagunitas' new SoCal brewery in Azusa. It's loving insane. It's a stone's throw from the Miller brewery in Irwindale and I think it might be even bigger than Miller.

They are going to have 90 1250bbl fermenters and 3 250bbl brewhouses. It has to be the biggest craft brewing facility out there - it easily dwarfs stuff I've seen from the likes of Stone and Firestone, but then again I haven't been to Sierra Nevada. They have silos for yeast! SILOS! FOR YEAST!

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

MunchE posted:

So this is as good a segway as any to talk about me going to the "Sneaky Peak" for Lagunitas' new SoCal brewery in Azusa. It's loving insane. It's a stone's throw from the Miller brewery in Irwindale and I think it might be even bigger than Miller.

They are going to have 90 1250bbl fermenters and 3 250bbl brewhouses. It has to be the biggest craft brewing facility out there - it easily dwarfs stuff I've seen from the likes of Stone and Firestone, but then again I haven't been to Sierra Nevada. They have silos for yeast! SILOS! FOR YEAST!

All that Heineken money, bro. Craft beer, it's a changin'

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Today's beer is the classic Red Stripe. Pours a nice, clear pale with a decent head. Notes of barley, lemon, and and a fresh coastal breeze in the aroma. Taste is lemons, straw, a small bit of sugar, and very little bitterness with hints of beer pong. A fine lager that's perfect for relaxing on a beach towel watching the waves roll over the sand, beats those overrated boozy and bitter imperial stouts for drinkability any day of the week. 4/5

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had some hunahpu. :shopkeeper:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Jersey City Barcade is holding their 5th Anniversary party tonight and tapping a bunch of interesting stuff. I haven't had any of it (besides Chillwave) before, any must-haves?

quote:

Allagash Avancé – 9.5% ABV – Wild Ale brewed with molasses and aged in bourbon barrels with strawberries for 3 years
Anchor Old Foghorn 2011 – 8.8% – American style Barley Wine aged at Barcade since 2011
Brooklyn Improved Old Fashioned – 12.8% – Rye Ale brewed with Demerara sugar, Belgian candi syrup, bitter orange peel, lemon peel, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, bitter gentian root and clove, then aged in WhistlePig Rye whiskey barrels
Bruery Cuivre – 16.2% – Old Ale is brewed for the 7th Anniversary of the brewery is a blend of all the previous year’s anniversary ales
Captain Lawrence Hudson Valley Harvest – 6.5% – Wild Ale brewed with apricots
Carton Cosmonaut – 10.0% – Russian Imperial Stout brewed with freeze-dried Neapolitan ice cream
Doc’s Black Currant Cider – 6.0% – Hard Cider made with apples and black currants
Dogfish Immort 2010 – 11.0% – Strong Ale brewed with peat-smoked barley, maple syrup, juniper berries, and vanilla beans aged since 2010
Fisherman’s Tea Party – 9.0% – American style Barley Wine brewed with black tea
Founders Project Pam – 10.8% – Imperial Black India Pale Ale and in bourbon barrels with maple syrup
Great Lakes Chillwave – 9.4% – Imperial India Pale Ale
Harpoon Arctic Ale – 13.0% – English Old Ale
The Hop Concept Galaxy & Comet – 8.0% – Imperial India Pale Ale brewed with Galaxy and Comet hops
Kane Last Contact – 7.8% – Sour Stout aged in oak barrels with cherries
New Belgium La Folie – 7.0% – Flemish Sour Brown Ale
North Coast Grand Cru 2012 – 12.9% – Belgian Strong Pale Ale brewed with agave nectar and aged in bourbon barrels then aged at Barcade since 2012
Sixpoint Bolshoi 2013 – 10.5% – Russian Imperial Stout aged at Barcade since 2013
Smuttynose “Smoked Peach” Short Weiss – 6.9% – Berliner Weisse brewed with smokes malt and peaches
Troegs “Nitro” Chocolate Stout – 7.1% – Nitro poured Stout brewed with cocoa nibs, dark chocolate, lactose sugar, oats and vanilla
Victory Java Cask – 14.3% – Russian Imperial Stout brewed with coffee and aged in bourbon barrels
Weyerbacher 20th Anniversary – 11.0% – Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed for the 20th Anniversary of the brewery

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Avance is one of a few strawberry beers I've had that isn't cuvee du bandaid and the smoked peach shortweiss was enjoyable. Nothing else stood out.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

hbf posted:

Flying in to Raleigh, NC for a wedding in New Bern, NC (so eastern coast area of NC). Looking for recommendations for some bottle shops/beer stores in this general area. East of Raleigh closer to New Bern would be better as I'm not planning on spending time in Raleigh, just flying in and renting a car, but I'm willing to drive out of the way as I have a whole day to kill. I'm after bottles I can't get in Colorado (so like Wicked Weed I guess?)

Coming from the airport you'll be pretty close to the Bottle Revolution in Morrisville which is a good shop with plenty of WW & other NC bottles. Don't know a ton about Eastern NC recommendations, but if you're driving through Kinston and have some time to kill Mother Earth is a pretty nice place to hang out. Probably not a place to kill the whole day, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Victory Java Cask is a great BA coffee stout that totally flew under the radar. Carton Cosmonaut is the stout they brewed with freeze dried ice-cream. I haven't had it but it might be worth the novelty. Also always drink La Folie.