Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe my memory is bad but it feels like toxic does as much damage as poison did in DS1. I've never been scared of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poison is entirely pointless in this game and is basically just an estus tax in Farron

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm at like... 13 or around there I think :downs:

I have 21 vigor and I feel extremely squishy

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Attention white phantoms or sunbros! If you're being attacked by a Red, and a Mound Maker joins your game and starts attacking the red, let him do it! Don't interrupt and start attacking me! Back off, I'm helping you and you get to rest! Holy poo poo!

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah this game is real good but I feel very squishy. Everything kills me in one or two hits, if I took fall damage at any point and have a tiny pip out of my health that is usually enough to get one shotted.

Also those unarmed goat men's'ss' jump attack looks loving stupid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Butyraceous posted:

Also those unarmed goat men's'ss' jump attack looks loving stupid.

While helping a guy out I grandslammed one mid-jump with an UGS and an invisible hitbox came down on me anyway with the goatman flat on his rear end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

I have 21 vigor and I feel extremely squishy

You have more vigor than me and I'm at level 66.

Fun Catacombs fact; everything there has poo poo poise. Just stunlock them until your stamina runs out and then retreat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stokes posted:

Attention white phantoms or sunbros! If you're being attacked by a Red, and a Mound Maker joins your game and starts attacking the red, let him do it! Don't interrupt and start attacking me! Back off, I'm helping you and you get to rest! Holy poo poo!

Moundmaker invading is basically my one chance to actually help and it happens so rarely that people just kill me instead. :smith:

Also boulder heave's one downside is you can only puke like five feet. :haw:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where do I go after the (boss on a bridge spoiler) Stray Demon after finding the Old Wolf of Farron?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

From's sense of balance has always been a little on the over-reactive side. Is magic too good? Let's make it useless! Is poison too strong? Let's make it little more than a slow waste of an estus flask or spell cast!

It's really lame considering how many different avenues there are for making a character and several choices are poor entirely arbitrarily. Like, all it took to make miracles in DS2 worth a drat was to tweak some numbers, but instead they just made it all completely unattractive garbage so no one ever used it ever again. I love these games, but I've been wishing that a development team with more modern sensibilities would do something with this gameplay style. It's tiresome to see the same exact problems crop up game after game.

Bogart posted:

Where do I go after the (boss on a bridge spoiler) Stray Demon after finding the Old Wolf of Farron?

Go back to the swamp and snuff out all of the torches. The area at the top of the ladder is actually a great place to survey whatever you're missing: from there, you can see the smokestacks with the fire at the top. Those are the places you need to go.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For a game that everyone is saying made magic useless, it sure has a poo poo tonne of loot and NPCs dedicated to magic. I swear almost everything I find is a spell, tome or magical garb.

gently caress magic. Give me more armour and swords, game!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bogart posted:

Extinguish the 3 flames in Farron swamp and the door in front of the Ruins bonfire will open.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
does any goon person know where the londor pale shade summon sign exactly is before the abyss watchers (near keep perimiter bonfire)?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe my memory is bad but it feels like toxic does as much damage as poison did in DS1. I've never been scared of it.

Except it lasts for a really drat long time. There is basically no way to survive toxic unless you have a blooming clump afaik.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just realized that the reason I keep getting instant killed in pvp is because the phantom is a level 100 password pal who is using great chaos fireball or whatever. And the boulder heave pyromancy doesn't actually hurt other players for some stupid reason, it passes right through them in an otherwise not-laggy game.

I'm done trying with invading or counter-invading, none of this works. I'll just stick with co-op.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I never liked PvP in one or two but in three I'm sitting on 15 pale tongues after an hour or so of invading in the forest before Farron Keep.

Best fight was me versus the host and a warrior of sunlight. For 15 minutes we went back and forth till I was down to 1 sliver of health and no Estus.

I resign myself to a suicide charge. As I sigh and draw my katana I see "Watchdog of Farron daRealMVP has invaded" on my screen. We bum rush the two of them, kill the sun bro and chase the host all the way to the halfway bonfire where I land the killing blow and use the point down emote.

They finally got the PVP right!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How do you get to the bottom of that valley in the Undead Settlement without dying from fall damage? The one with the Crystal Lizard in it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NESguerilla posted:

Except it lasts for a really drat long time. There is basically no way to survive toxic unless you have a blooming clump afaik.

Well yeah but why wouldn't you? Lasting a long time isn't as dangerous as killing you quickly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

How do you get to the bottom of that valley in the Undead Settlement without dying from fall damage? The one with the Crystal Lizard in it.

Through the gate in the sewer next to it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah but why wouldn't you? Lasting a long time isn't as dangerous as killing you quickly.

No, but I didn't have one on me the only time I went toxic, but yeah it's pretty much nullified by how easy it is to buy blooming clumps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

threeagainstfour posted:

They finally got the PVP right!
I guess I should say I'm done with the broken covenant poo poo. Actual invading is fine when I'm not immediately running into great chaos fireball and sunlight spear. I don't even mind having to basically kill the host a thousand times because of how estus works now. Sure fed up with the broken animations and lag warping they made worse after three games of improvement though.

e: Oh good, I ran into crystal soul spear this time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 17, 2016

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

For a game that everyone is saying made magic useless, it sure has a poo poo tonne of loot and NPCs dedicated to magic. I swear almost everything I find is a spell, tome or magical garb.

gently caress magic. Give me more armour and swords, game!

I'm moaning a little more about DS2's nerf on miracles and also the universal magic resistance of almost all DLC enemies, but it looks like some people have concerns for Sorcery this time around as well. Sounds like Pyromancy is good, but it's kinda lame that two of the classes offered that are invested in INT simply aren't that great as a choice because sorcery is just so underwhelming.

Maybe patches will make this better, or maybe they'll just make everything equally bad. From is not incapable of making decent balance choices, but changes seem to come from a place that is unfamiliar with what is actually making things a better or worse experience.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like the pvp a lot more if drinking estus wasn't so easy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so satisfying to beat pontiff myself

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joined a host's world, the host isn't actually the host it says it is (or is even in the game), kill the actual host, got nothing for it. :thumbsup:

e: Another world, the basic r1 attack just doesn't fire. At all. Everything else does.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fereydun posted:

it's kind of gross how bad magic is in ds3 but i feel like that was gonna be a given factor considering how folks always say how overpowered magic is regardless of the truth of that statement
though it's a combination of factors for why it's so bad in ds3, haha

beating the game as a pure sorcerer/pyro was legitimately more challenging than doing the ds2 dlc as a sorcerer/pyro and anyone w/ experience in that should get how hosed up that statement is

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

anyone with a magic build beat it or get to end game? thoughts? there are some neat looking spells but i'd want to be able to solo the game still

Basically, 24 att/30 int/30 fth, stick to pyromancies and hexes. Sorcery requires 40+ att/int and endgame spells to be worth using, which is absurd.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nameless King is a real piece of poo poo.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Andrast posted:

I'd like the pvp a lot more if drinking estus wasn't so easy.

Lloyd's. Or in this case, Undead Charm.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stokes posted:

Lloyd's. Or in this case, Undead Charm.

*Runs away until the undead charm wears off and drinks estus*

That sure accomplished a lot. Also those charms aren't exactly easy to hit if the opponent isn't a total mouthbreather.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you do pvp outside Pontiff Sulyvahn's boss room everyone fights with a weird code of honour where you bow before the fight and don't heal

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God drat, gently caress Wolnir.

Basically, if you aren't a strength or faith build, he's really annoying. Resistant to magic and fire (and obviously Dark.)

I'm doing a Pyro build w/ a raw Astora straight sword, and it's just not doing enough damage. But it's still almost twice as much as any of my spells.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Basically, if you aren't a strength or faith build, he's really annoying. Resistant to magic and fire (and obviously Dark.)

I'm doing a Pyro build w/ a raw Astora straight sword, and it's just not doing enough damage. But it's still almost twice as much as any of my spells.

Go respec for the fight then come back?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

A raw astora straight sword should do plenty of damage to him.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

If you do pvp outside Pontiff Sulyvahn's boss room everyone fights with a weird code of honour where you bow before the fight and don't heal

i blame reddit

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So I decided i didnt give a poo poo about the hollow ending and just wanted the sick cainhurst armor and darkdrift so i bought the purging stone and killed Yuria. This was the correct move, right? Also whats a good soul farm to get 40k to reverse hollowing, currently at Cathedral. Maggot monsters are easy and do 1200 on first kill then 600 after for farming but i dont want to kill 80 of them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i never bow, and i use all the rude emotes when i win

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Andrast posted:

*Runs away until the undead charm wears off and drinks estus*

That sure accomplished a lot. Also those charms aren't exactly easy to hit if the opponent isn't a total mouthbreather.

Why are you letting your opponent run away? Maybe you don't have enough stamina? Don't have a ranged weaponry option? Come on, you have to be prepared for a fight if you want to fight.

Also I hit people with Lloyd's all the time. It's not hard you just can throw it all willy nilly. You have to pick your spots.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't get watchdogs or blue sentinels to work, this really sucks. The only covenants that do anything for me are warrior of sunlight, way of blue, and moundmakers. It better not be because I upgraded my claymore.

Try this, worked for me:

quote:

For anyone having trouble being summoned as a Blue Sentinel or Watchdog of Farron try forwarding the ports listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3...to_matchmaking/

I wasn't getting summoned for either over about 12 hours of play time. I forwarded my ports yesterday and got 6 summons as a Sentinel in an hour. No summons as a Watchdog, but I'm pretty sure I'm far outside the level range for that now (47, +4).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Stokes posted:

Why are you letting your opponent run away? Maybe you don't have enough stamina? Don't have a ranged weaponry option? Come on, you have to be prepared for a fight if you want to fight.

dude.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I haven't beaten any bosses in late-game Lothric Castle yet, but I gotta say, I think the world of DS3 might be my favorite designed game world out of all the Bloodsouls games. Everything feels lived in, connected, logical, and evokes a strong sense of history and use. DS1 was close to this, but I think technology has allowed DS3 to really create something that feels like a real place. I'm a big fan of DS2, but out side of Brume Tower, Eleum Loyce, and maybe Forest of the Fallen Giants, everything just felt flatter or emptier. Drangleic Castle looks majestic from the outside, but inside it's just one long linear hallway. Lothric Castle, on the other hand, feels like this warren of rooms, halls, galleries, and passageways, much like a real castle. Lothric Castle, Undead Settlement, and Irithryll feel much bigger and busier than even the ever popular Anor Londo.

DS3 also makes me not miss too terribly the central interconnectedness of DS1. For all the talk of DS1's interwoven world, it's really just Firelink and Undead Parish that have all these looping branches and revisits. Once you hit Anor Londo though, you basically just start working your way down linear paths anyway. I think you get the same sense of connectedness from Lothric Castle and Irithryll, it's just that they aren't central hubs.

I love love this game world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stokes posted:

Have you actually PvPd in this game because running away is like the easiest thing in DS3. I could probably run away in a fight indefinitely if I wanted to, no matter the opponent.